Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

The full list won't be published until tomorrow morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Sup Navy thread. How's boats and poo poo?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Still floating.

Except the subs.

And probably not the LCS.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah I guess some higher ups know and are going around congratulating folk and there may or may not be an official list. Least that's what I heard

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Hahaha, so many angry posts on facebook. God I love this. Motivation burning up and disappointment settling in.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

I still remember the japanese protest boats at basically every port we pulled in to. They would register with the coast guard and would stay in their restricted box. They wouldn't actually come close to the ship. They just sat back with their megaphones shouting "McCain go home!"

Do you remember when we started waving and some of them were laughing?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Do you remember when we started waving and some of them were laughing?

Yeah I think that was Sendai. Shortly thereafter you parted one of my god drat lines.

shin01176
Dec 23, 2013

All Hail Bob Saget.

Pandasmores posted:

Hahaha, so many angry posts on facebook. God I love this. Motivation burning up and disappointment settling in.

Meh it is kinda nice knowing that its mathematical impossibility for me to advance so I don't have to worry about all that crap. Knew it before I even took the test. Though will say its nice to know one of my good friends was one of the 5 AWV's advanced to 1st so "maybe" he has a shot of getting to stay in the navy as they continue to tell that Rate to piss off.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Booblord Zagats posted:

Sup Navy thread. How's boats and poo poo?

Hi. Boats are good. poo poo is okay. Advancements are occurring and not occurring.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Glad boats are still good. I always liked chilling for a few weeks on an LHA, Navy dudes were always amiable when they found out you were Air Wing and didn't give a gently caress about Eagles and Globes and swords and high 'n' tights. Then again I'm a good lookin dude and they could have been flirty. I ain't here to judge though

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah I think that was Sendai. Shortly thereafter you parted one of my god drat lines.

Haha, I mean I think I only parted 3 lines. Plus it was the tug and the chief who was safety. I was undoing figure eights so god drat fast to try to save that line.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

poo poo, how do you loving tear a line? Doesn't it gently caress up the bollard too?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Pandasmores posted:

poo poo, how do you loving tear a line? Doesn't it gently caress up the bollard too?

Bollards are rated for way more than any line would be.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pandasmores posted:

Yeah, bollards aren't coming off the pier for anything. The way his line parted was the pilothouse and tugs weren't communicating well. The aft tug was trying to move the ship somewhere, and SPACE HOMOS here happened to be the line captain on the affected line. Sounded like a god drat shotgun. BMC, BM1, (safety observers) and I (POIC) were up on the forecastle and basically hung our heads after the sound and the radio announcement of the parted line. I had to inspect that whole drat thing and splice a new eye on it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

We parted a line once on the Polar Sea in Antarctica on the ice pier.

No tugs, just a new JO behind the wheel. Probably didn't help that we used tugs EVERYWHERE except for the ice pier. I talked to my buddy (another SN at the time) and the BMC was just telling him to hold and not check the line on the bow (line 1 I think, maybe 2). He said he saw it smoking (polypropylene line) and then the eye snapped from the bollard and smacked the hull. I heard it way back on the fantail and no one knew what the gently caress.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

We were luckily using aramid lines so there was no snapback. Someone would have probably got hurt if we were using nylon or polypropylene.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I don't think I ever saw CG get into those lines. It was all polyprop and then my last cutter used some kevlar lines.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That ship looks like it's sittings in mud. That's a pretty crazy wharf/dock/pier.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

We were luckily using aramid lines so there was no snapback. Someone would have probably got hurt if we were using nylon or polypropylene.

Only if they hadn't seen the synthetic line snapback video.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

drat, those things can kill you can't they just from the force right?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pandasmores posted:

drat, those things can kill you can't they just from the force right?

Nylon lines are absolutely the worst, but any synthetic line experiences some form of snapback. The aramid lines (Kevlar) only stretch a very small percentage of their length before parting so there is little to no snapback. Nylon lines stretch around 50% before parting and can result in violent and dismembering injuries.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

LingcodKilla posted:

That ship looks like it's sittings in mud. That's a pretty crazy wharf/dock/pier.

it's ice with dirt on it

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

krispykremessuck posted:

it's ice with dirt on it

Thanks it was blowing my mind how shear that drop off would be if it was actually earth.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

LingcodKilla posted:

Thanks it was blowing my mind how shear that drop off would be if it was actually earth.

they have to remake it every now and then, last time I was there it was all iced over so you couldn't really tell the difference between the ice pier and, well, anything else

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice
i think we parted 4 lines in seychelles. we moored in because the seas were so bad you couldn't run liberty boats and their harbor didn't have a break so get hosed BMs.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Results are out: http://www.navy.mil/ah_online/ftrStory.asp?issue=3&id=81166

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!
AWO1 0% gently caress you got mine already.

shin01176
Dec 23, 2013

All Hail Bob Saget.

LordNad posted:

AWO1 0% gently caress you got mine already.

What yall get after so many jumped ship from AWV.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Looks like about 60% advancement over my 5 divisions. Sonar techs dragging down the average again.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
In keeping with the finest traditions of naval service, the advancement center linked last cycle's results on Facebook.

Because they are dedicated to quality.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
what are all these dudes doing coming out with results today anyway, don't they know it's a 4-day weekend?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

that's gives them more time to force possible chief selects into the CPO 365 program.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

shin01176 posted:

What yall get after so many jumped ship from AWV.

And by jump ship, you mean forcibly stuffed into the rate.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
Basically everyone I knew in Active Duty became a CTN1.

No regrets.

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

She'll tear, YOUR SOUL, apart!
Welp, Great Lakes is still full of terrible rules and incredible micromanaging.

Out of the 11 people in Gas Turbine "C" school, 2 of us are stuck in the A school barracks, following some incredibly well thought out policies and idea's concerning Fleet Returnee's and Per Diem. Everyone one else in my class is here TAD, so they get the nice comfy single room barracks.

Thankfully the instructors here know us as Returnee students so i'm cut out of 95% of the normal BS. It just wouldn't be the Navy if everything went smoothly, so I suppose i'm thankful for not ending up somewhere worse.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Vriess posted:

Basically everyone I knew in Active Duty became a CTN1.

No regrets.

From what I remember (as a second class) being a CTN1 looked like a someone crushing your balls in a vice forever.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Its very good planning to release the profile sheets, have the website crash (like it always does) and then leave for a long weekend.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Cerekk posted:

Looks like about 60% advancement over my 5 divisions. Sonar techs dragging down the average again.

66% for STG1s here. And a 2 and a 3. Pretty good day.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

What do those extra numbers mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
I am going to guess that 66% of STG2s advanced, 1 STG3 advanced, and 1 STGSN advanced.

I'm pretty sure no one in my unit advanced so there will be some sad faces come next weekend.

• Locked thread