Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I've seen at least 20 different Shreks. I blame whoever did that video as Shrek kicking people out of his swamp (which was Blighttown or something, I don't recall).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

I liked it a lot during my time with it, but once you get 30 scales it's pretty much over and done with. It seems like it could've done with incentives to stick with it/put down your summon sign anywhere but the iron keep bridge.

Well it's the only covenant that forces a fair match (both can heal, no outside help, etc.) so that's pretty neat. The blue arena requires boss souls while the red is full of the shittiest people that you need to wait several minutes to fight, so I love being a dragonbro.

Some long-term use for the scales would have been nice, though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I need 1 more sunlight medal and the last 3 hosts have all died really stupidly to demon of song by just staying right in his face :negative: I suppose it makes sense that there'll be a few bad people at this SM range

Its made more annoying by the fact I lost 2 sunlight medals when DS2 crashed as I alt tabbed out after beating demon of song

Jose fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 24, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's not like Sunlight Medals are hard to get, though. :v:

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I really hope they round out a couple of the rough edges in the Souls games before long. There are a couple of little technical errors/shortcuts that just stick out like a sore thumb: if you come in contact with a melee attack at any point during its animation (even the windup), you take full damage. There's also rolling into/stepping on the edge of a ledge and being catapulted into oblivion.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's not like Sunlight Medals are hard to get, though. :v:

Its just a reasonable wait at demon of song for summons since my SM is so high, I'm trying to get the last of the things I need before pushing on to complete NG. So this, then ascetic skeleton lords and that scorpion boss

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like how the Blue Sentinels arena apparently doesn't take Soul Memory into account. Hmm, yes, I definitely should be pitched against the dude with duel regular Whips and the Moon Butterfly armor and also GRS when I'm in the loving lowest Soul Memory tier.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Jose posted:

Its just a reasonable wait at demon of song for summons since my SM is so high, I'm trying to get the last of the things I need before pushing on to complete NG. So this, then ascetic skeleton lords and that scorpion boss
You're better off being summoned for Vestaldt or Guardian Dragon really - why Demon of Song in particular?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

neetengie posted:

You're better off being summoned for Vestaldt or Guardian Dragon really - why Demon of Song in particular?

Haven't reached either of those bosses yet :v:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Guardian Dragon is a terrible place to summon period. Velstadt is pretty high traffic and easier because his attacks track poorly in coop

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I was getting fairly regular summons here, then all 3 hosts died stupidly and they stopped altogether.

Another host died. Why are people so incapable of moving back when he goes up in the air

Jose fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 24, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

Guardian Dragon is a terrible place to summon period.

I dunno, I did it around 2mil and was getting regular summons.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

Guardian Dragon is a terrible place to summon period. Velstadt is pretty high traffic and easier because his attacks track poorly in coop
I get summoned at Guardian a good amount. Not to mention that he's an easy boss too.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Jose posted:

I was getting fairly regular summons here, then all 3 hosts died stupidly and they stopped altogether.

Another host died. Why are people so incapable of moving back when he goes up in the air

I died to that move once, purely because I was just standing in awe of how tall he gets, he's my favourite boss because he's so weird and when he goes tall he gets bigger than any other boss and it just looks so rad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Alan Smithee posted:

Velstadt is pretty high traffic and easier because his attacks track poorly in coop

If by that you mean, he will just flip-flop a full 360 degrees between players with every attack then yeah that's basically my Velstadt co-op experience too. Dude looked like he was trying to record an MLG dubstep kill montage.

edit: I love the Demon of Song, because it's loving terrifying.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Not sure how you guys consider GD a good coop since his breath attack makes Smelter Demon's AOE attack look pitiable in comparison. Even if you know how to dodge it I guarantee you the host won't

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

Not sure how you guys consider GD a good coop since his breath attack makes Smelter Demon's AOE attack look pitiable in comparison. Even if you know how to dodge it I guarantee you the host won't
Which breath attack? If it's the one where he gets on the cage and breaths down on you, you just back up shield raised, and that should be a normal reaction. His breath attack when he's stationed on the ground is really easy to dodge without any amazing acrobatic skills needed. Even if a host dies to them first time through, I'll usually get summoned by them again and they learned from their past experience and then GD becomes easy for them. I guess (like always) size is the major intimidation factor when it comes to bosses, especially for newcomers.

Even if it's the hosts first time on GD you can make it a really simple cakewalk for them by drawing the dragons aggro and just being really aggressive on it.

or maybe i co-oped with people who co-oped their way into knowing how GD was before taking it on themselves :shrug:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cowcaster posted:

I liked it a lot during my time with it, but once you get 30 scales it's pretty much over and done with. It seems like it could've done with incentives to stick with it/put down your summon sign anywhere but the iron keep bridge.

It really could've, but in my case ~gud fightz~ was motivation enough to keep on duelling long past Rank 3.

It is still dumb that you literally gain nothing of value once you hit Rank 3 though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Do I need to speak to the scorpion again after asceting the shaded woods bonfire to be able to resummon him?

Edit: Nevermind, she was pretty easy solo

Jose fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 24, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

neetengie posted:

Which breath attack? If it's the one where he gets on the cage and breaths down on you, you just back up shield raised, and that should be a normal reaction. His breath attack when he's stationed on the ground is really easy to dodge without any amazing acrobatic skills needed. Even if a host dies to them first time through, I'll usually get summoned by them again and they learned from their past experience and then GD becomes easy for them. I guess (like always) size is the major intimidation factor when it comes to bosses, especially for newcomers.

Even if it's the hosts first time on GD you can make it a really simple cakewalk for them by drawing the dragons aggro and just being really aggressive on it.

or maybe i co-oped with people who co-oped their way into knowing how GD was before taking it on themselves :shrug:

:cripes: I'm thinking of Ancient Dragon

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
How do you pure magic types usually handle the Lion Clan dudes in Shaded Woods without taking the cheap way out and sunbroing it up?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Toadsmash posted:

How do you pure magic types usually handle the Lion Clan dudes in Shaded Woods without taking the cheap way out and sunbroing it up?

Backstabs.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Toadsmash posted:

Use a melee weapon. I used a hand axe first time round because it requires so little stats to use it

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Toadsmash posted:

There should never ever be such a thing as pure magic. Even the mageliest mage should have the minimum stats to wield something effective.

So, stab the poo poo out of them because they're resistant to every magic under the sun.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Toadsmash posted:

Dagger +10, backstab them (or parry them then riposte if you're a bad enough dude :ssh: )

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I just run past them.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Toadsmash posted:

Power stancing a Longsword, they have incredibly slow attacks and they will never do the leap attack if you can keep them locked in place.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This area is so loving hectic :supaburn:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

PublicOpinion posted:

Yep. Wouldn't be the first time there'd been a troll dev message, and like hell was I falling for it! Speaking of dev messages, are there any that show up with Seek Guidance in this one?

Actually, has there ever been a dev message that lied? I can't think of one. Dev messages are rare but whenever they showed up in Dark Souls they seemed to be telling the truth. So if I saw a bunch of messages in front of a suspicious lever, I'd probably keep away from it. Or at least explore more of the area before pulling it.

neetengie posted:

I get summoned at Guardian a good amount. Not to mention that he's an easy boss too.

I got summoned there a lot as well, but only fought the boss once. Every other host got killed fighting the cyclops along the way. With how many there are I was disappointed the boss was some lame dragon chump and not a giga cyclops.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 24, 2014

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Toadsmash posted:

Either backstabs, or Holy Water Urns (from Targray in the Cathedral). Three Urns will kill them on NG.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How am i fighting someone with Evelynn's at 250k soul memory? gently caress PVP in this game forever.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

powerful weedlock posted:

How am i fighting someone with Evelynn's at 250k soul memory? gently caress PVP in this game forever.

Dodge. Better yet, just run. Running is actually more effective than dodge rolling in this case.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Opposing Farce posted:

By the time you reach OIK you should have access to a good chunk of decent Dex weapons; there's the Blacksteel Katana the Alonne Knights in Iron Keep drop, for one thing, but you should also have a selection of curved swords (the scimitar, falchion, and since you'll probably have Straid unlocked by this point, the Warped Sword), daggers if you're into that, rapiers (Ricard's Rapier is in Huntsman's Copse), spears, and if you want something weird the Great Scythe you can buy from Titchy scales primarily with Dex too.

Right away you can get a Falchion and Caestus. The falchion (from the smith) is the mace of dex builds. It's decent damage, has a fluid moveset, and is easily powerstanced. It's short range but you move forward as attacking so you will stay close to your opponent. The caestus (from Melentia)is B and eventually A dex scaling and is your source of Strike damage, which you will want against opponents covered in or made of metal. It's cheap and it can also stun.

The Shortbow (chest next to the smith) has nice dex scaling and is the best bow you will get before Iron Keep so don't be afraid to throw a little titanite at it.

Ricard's Rapier is the best real "dex weapon" that's available early - the spoiler is just how to get to Huntsman's Copse.
1. Find Licia by the 2nd bonfire in Heide's Tower of Flame and talk to her until she mentions moving on. Meet her again on the way from Majula to Heide and pay her 2,000 souls to unlock the Huntsman's Copse zone
2. Leaving the first bonfire in this zone, the first thing you run into is a bridge through a cave. If you are being showered with poison, you are in the right place.
3. Jump off the bridge to the left onto the mushrooms along the wall. It looks hard but it's an easy jump. You can shoot the poison droppers to make this more pleasant.
4. You will see a guy down there. Kill him with fire...or arrows...or whatever you got.
5. Jump down and get your rapier.

The Black Knight Halberd is also available fairly early and can be found by jumping off to the left as you leave the 3rd Shaded Woods bonfire and working your way back to the bonfire.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Captain Oblivious posted:

There should never ever be such a thing as pure magic.

pure magic 4 lyfe :colbert:

but yeah you can use an unupgraded dagger for the lion chumps (or just run by them)

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 24, 2014

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Toadsmash posted:

I have seen a lot of answers, but I have not seen the correct solution.

Yearn.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

powerful weedlock posted:

Either someone dropped them for him or he lowered his soul memory through cheat engines.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
If he only has one Avelynn then he definitely muled it down to that character.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

So far the hardest part of this game is getting the mouse buttons remapped correctly. And what a poo poo UI, jesus christ.

I find the movement and fighting fast and intuitive with a mouse + kb. the only issue I have is assigning my extra buttons on my logitech g600

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Use a controller. You can use a xbox one or a ps3 with Xinput.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The game's easy enough to play with a keyboard and mouse, it's just the switching targets with autolock and the UI that are complete piss garbage without a controller.