Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
There was nothing like hitting 30 and having to wear more make up than I had ever worn in my life to my party because my face had exploded. I was like... no, I'm 30, this is over. This was about 4 months after I got my Mirena and it eventually settled down, but I had some HARSH acne for several months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Welp that's terrifying. I have always had acne but Yasmin cleared it up (as well as changing my hygiene practices) and I'm on Yasmin for one more month but I'ma tell you right now that if it gets to September and my skin is splodey I'm going back on Yasmin because I get married in October :ohdear:

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I've mentioned it before, but I had really good results with 2.5% benzoyl peroxide treatment.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Geolicious posted:

I've mentioned it before, but I had really good results with 2.5% benzoyl peroxide treatment.

They also make benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid washes that really helped me out. It has calmed down for me, so now it's just in that week leading to my period that things get a little crazy (especially if I get lazy with my skin care in the meantime).

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah right now I am keeping things under control with some 2% salycylic acid wash. Although I keep getting them on my jawline. drat hormones.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Following a hellacious pregnancy scare (two weeks late!) I need to get back onto birth control to safely continue shagging activities. I was on the ring for a while, but given my family history of throwing clots (my great-grandma died of multiple strokes and my grandfather died of a heart attack) I decided this may not be the best idea, and looked to IUDs since there is no way in hell I can remember to take a pill every day and my skin is way too sensitive to consider a patch. Not real interested in Implanon/Norplant, but if anyone here has had a particularly good time with those I'm all ears.

I'm torn between Paragard and Skyla. I like the idea of being hormone-free, but the major Good Thing the ring did for me was lighten my heavy periods and I am terrified of them coming back even worse than before. Lighter periods, on the other hand, sounds loving fantastic. I also use a DivaCup and am now terrified of accidentally yanking the whole deal out. Does anyone else in this thread have a Skyla? I've already read all the posts about Paragard/Divacup.

Or I might just say gently caress it and go back on the ring. I had my annual junk inspection on Monday and the dr. didn't seem overly concerned by it since it wasn't my parents who had the strokes/MI.

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 22, 2014

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.
Check out Anne Whatley's posts in this thread if you want to hear someone rave about their 3 Implanons. She convinced me to get mine and the only reason I didn't get another was insurance shenanigans.

Also, first period post insertion, I didn't even know it was coming, I've had absolutely zero cramping. Don't wanna jinx it but so far, besides having to pay for it out of pocket, Paragard has been amazing. I had heavy crampy periods, pre-HBC.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
The weird thing is, I NEVER got cramps before going on hormonal BC. Now even though I've been off it for about a year, I feel like I have hot coals piled in my pelvis for like two weeks out of every month.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yup, click the ? under my name for Implanon/Nexplanon happy raving. (I have no period...noooo perioooood)

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I may actually be somewhat swayed, though the whole "irregular periods" thing has me hesitating.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Sex Hobbit posted:

I may actually be somewhat swayed, though the whole "irregular periods" thing has me hesitating.

Totally worth it. I'm also on my third implant. It's gotten better over time for me.

Erysipelothrix
May 5, 2012

Sex Hobbit posted:

Following a hellacious pregnancy scare (two weeks late!) I need to get back onto birth control to safely continue shagging activities. I was on the ring for a while, but given my family history of throwing clots (my great-grandma died of multiple strokes and my grandfather died of a heart attack) I decided this may not be the best idea, and looked to IUDs since there is no way in hell I can remember to take a pill every day and my skin is way too sensitive to consider a patch. Not real interested in Implanon/Norplant, but if anyone here has had a particularly good time with those I'm all ears.

I'm torn between Paragard and Skyla. I like the idea of being hormone-free, but the major Good Thing the ring did for me was lighten my heavy periods and I am terrified of them coming back even worse than before. Lighter periods, on the other hand, sounds loving fantastic. I also use a DivaCup and am now terrified of accidentally yanking the whole deal out. Does anyone else in this thread have a Skyla? I've already read all the posts about Paragard/Divacup.

Or I might just say gently caress it and go back on the ring. I had my annual junk inspection on Monday and the dr. didn't seem overly concerned by it since it wasn't my parents who had the strokes/MI.

I have a Skyla IUD that was inserted in December. I used to use a diva cup but my periods are so light now that I don't even need it. A pantyliner is all that is required. I love it and would definitely recommend it!

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Thanks for the input, everyone. One more question: does the implanon have to be done at a particular point in your cycle, or just whenever?

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Sex Hobbit posted:

Thanks for the input, everyone. One more question: does the implanon have to be done at a particular point in your cycle, or just whenever?

I got mine put in at a well visit, so I wasn't "allowed" to be on my period, but I don't think it matters. It's not like an IUD where being on your period makes it easier. Leaning that way?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Yeah, I'm thinking so actually.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Sex Hobbit posted:

My guess is it's probably like other hormonal BC, where it doesn't technically matter when you start but you'll need to use back-up protection for a week or so if it's not actually during your period.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You can get it done totally whenever. If you're not coming off something else, they might want you to use condoms for a little while. They're a little too conservative with it because they're used to less effective methods.

Getting Nexplanon kind of depends on how upset you are about irregular periods. I definitely had a few months that kept me on my toes before mine vanished. It's normal for the first few months to be all over the place, but if you can hold out that long, it should settle down one way or the other. So for me, it was irritating but not a huge deal, but if you barf at the sight of blood, maybe not for you. For what it's worth, mine was never heavier than usual, it just wasn't bound to a schedule.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

You can get it done totally whenever. If you're not coming off something else, they might want you to use condoms for a little while. They're a little too conservative with it because they're used to less effective methods.

It's probably because no matter what hormonal method you're using, it has to have time to actually have an effect on your reproductive system. Implanon doesn't go into effect instantly any more than the pill does and writing condoms off as doctors being too conservative is kind of bad advice.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
No, if you switch from something else to Nexplanon, or if you start Nexplanon on days 1-5 of your period, you can immediately go nuts. If you weren't on anything before plus you start on another day of your cycle, you should use condoms for a week, but often doctors are too conservative and recommend an entire month of condoms. Condoms are never bad, but there's no need to use them for an entire cycle after starting Nexplanon.

e: for what it's worth, it does stop ovulation within one day of insertion (pdf cite, p. 2) -- they just have to catch you before you do ovulate

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 23, 2014

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

^^^ when I got my Paragard one of the NPs said 3 months of condoms. I understand why they suggest that, but I also understand the risks so I did not follow that. I have to go back in 2-3 weeks for a well visit and to make sure everything's doing good down there, but I've felt the strings and have had no issues. I'm very happy.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Trip report! I just got back from Planned Parenthood, where I was getting my Implanon removed (its time was nearly up) and getting a Mirenda inserted.

Result: the removal was super easy. The doc said it was the easiest Implanon removal she had ever done! Then we got to the Mirena part and... hoo boy.

Guess my cervix decided to respond to my easy removal by puckering itself up like a tight little rear end in a top hat. The doctor couldn't even get the stupid thing open to insert the sounding device, much less get the IUD up there. And she tried several times. And she said she does IUD insertions all the time.

So now I just feel all crampy and shaky with nothing to show for it other than a rad bandage on my arm. :mad: The doc gave me some cervix softening medication that she said may help if I decide to try getting Mirena again. Or I can just get another Implanon.

I'm kind of torn now. I wanted to try the Mirena, because it lasts longer, has a lower hormone dose, and has a chance of stopping periods entirely. All those were very appealing. However, I liked the Implanon just fine and I know it's a heck of a lot easier. So I don't know. Help me decide, ladygoons! :ohdear:

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
That's called cervical spasm and the buscopan I took before mine really helped but you guys can't get it there. Valium? :( idk. I'm sorry that happened.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Is there any reason to pick Mirena over Skyla? I'm losing insurance soon and I kind of want to prepare for the worst by at least having birth control for 5 years.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

Kerfuffle posted:

Is there any reason to pick Mirena over Skyla? I'm losing insurance soon and I kind of want to prepare for the worst by at least having birth control for 5 years.

Skyla's a bit smaller, shorter timeframe for it to be effective (so good for women who know they want a kid before the Mirena would've expired, I guess?), and a stupidly small amount of hormones instead of the Mirena's still incredibly small amount.

If you're wanting to pick between the two, I really haven't heard much of a difference between them and if you're worried about insurance then I'd definitely go for the Mirena (might be biased though cause I've had mine for almost two years now and I love it to death!).

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
If you want 5 years of protection get Mirena. Skyla's only good for 3.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.
Reduction in menstrual blood loss and amenorrhea tends to be lower with skyla.

Dana Scully
Dec 25, 2010

hey scully, wanna break into the dean's office?
Has anyone else on Implanon had issues with severe nausea or dizziness? I've just noticed these symptoms over the last month, and there's nothing else consistently linking them except stress, but I've been way more stressed without these feelings.

I know I haven't even had it for 6 months yet but I'm almost ready to get rid of it if the nausea (almost exclusively at night) is going to stick around.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

No, if you switch from something else to Nexplanon, or if you start Nexplanon on days 1-5 of your period, you can immediately go nuts. If you weren't on anything before plus you start on another day of your cycle, you should use condoms for a week, but often doctors are too conservative and recommend an entire month of condoms. Condoms are never bad, but there's no need to use them for an entire cycle after starting Nexplanon.

e: for what it's worth, it does stop ovulation within one day of insertion (pdf cite, p. 2) -- they just have to catch you before you do ovulate

So basically you're saying exactly the same thing as what I meant because the poster I was referring to is going from nothing to Implanon and would probably have to use condoms for 7 days. I never meant "use them for a month" so I don't know where you got that.

Also progestin-only methods don't prevent ovulation consistently month to month. They just also have the cervical mucus/uterine lining things going on too.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The #1 way Implanon/Nexplanon works is by preventing ovulation. It does also thicken cervical mucus and make the endometrium less receptive, but its primary mechanism of action is preventing ovulation, which it does (in women of normal weight) consistently for all three years.

I didn't say you said a month. I said doctors are sometimes too conservative, and then I clarified that was by recommending condoms for a month -- which is incorrect but not unusual.

I think we mostly agree about how long she should use condoms. If she's not coming off something else and she hasn't ovulated by the time of insertion, she can do whatever right away. Otherwise, a week of condoms.

Dana Scully posted:

Has anyone else on Implanon had issues with severe nausea or dizziness? I've just noticed these symptoms over the last month, and there's nothing else consistently linking them except stress, but I've been way more stressed without these feelings.

I know I haven't even had it for 6 months yet but I'm almost ready to get rid of it if the nausea (almost exclusively at night) is going to stick around.
This is iffy, but if you were on a method with estrogen before, that could have elevated your blood pressure, and now that you're not on it, you could have low blood pressure, which causes dizziness. The nausea I'm not sure about, especially since it's a specific time of the day while the hormones are steady throughout -- I mean it's not like you're feeling sick an hour after taking a pill. There's nothing else that's changed? It can't hurt to ask your doctor either way.

biggest platypus
Mar 10, 2014

Silver Falcon posted:

Guess my cervix decided to respond to my easy removal by puckering itself up like a tight little rear end in a top hat. The doctor couldn't even get the stupid thing open to insert the sounding device, much less get the IUD up there. And she tried several times. And she said she does IUD insertions all the time.

So now I just feel all crampy and shaky with nothing to show for it other than a rad bandage on my arm. :mad: The doc gave me some cervix softening medication that she said may help if I decide to try getting Mirena again. Or I can just get another Implanon.

I'm kind of torn now. I wanted to try the Mirena, because it lasts longer, has a lower hormone dose, and has a chance of stopping periods entirely. All those were very appealing. However, I liked the Implanon just fine and I know it's a heck of a lot easier. So I don't know. Help me decide, ladygoons! :ohdear:

The same thing happened to me when I tried to get my mirena the first time. It hurt like hell and was ultimately unsuccessful, and I went home to another month of nuva ring, crying out of frustration (and a bit from the pain). The next month I tried again. I got the cervix softening medication and went to a real gyno instead of my GP - they both had experience with IUDs but the gyno had done more. It worked this time - still hurt, and I learned never to take 4 ibuprofin on an empty stomach (oof), but success!

I've had my mirena for about 3 years now, and I am a fan compared to other stuff I've tried (the pill, nuva). I still get my period, but it's lighter and usually less crampy than it was on no/other bc, although it's gotten weirdly drawn out lately so my cycle is 6-7 weeks, with 1-2 weeks of spotting. Most of my friends who have it have lost their periods entirely (I am very jealous).

I can't tell you how it compares to Implanon, but don't let the failed insertion deter you too much - there's hope!

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Well today is my first day off the OCP with just the Mirena. My guess would be that I'll be getting a period in the next few days then I'll be Mirena only.

Did anyone else gain a few pounds (assumedly in bloat) when they had the Mirena put in? I usually sit around 78kg and I've been up over 80 since I got it put in :( I'm still eating well and training so I don't understand. It's upsetting.

I hope being off the Yasmin doesn't make my skin blow up or make me fat or anything, sigh.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
While I will cross my fingers for you, increased acne is a side effect of Mirena... AT FIRST. It should settle down. I had several months of OMG I'm a teen again, but it got better.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Ok well, I'm getting married in October so I figure if by September it's not settling, I'll go back on Yasmin for a month or so. No biggie.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

biggest platypus posted:

The same thing happened to me when I tried to get my mirena the first time. It hurt like hell and was ultimately unsuccessful, and I went home to another month of nuva ring, crying out of frustration (and a bit from the pain). The next month I tried again. I got the cervix softening medication and went to a real gyno instead of my GP - they both had experience with IUDs but the gyno had done more. It worked this time - still hurt, and I learned never to take 4 ibuprofin on an empty stomach (oof), but success!

I can't tell you how it compares to Implanon, but don't let the failed insertion deter you too much - there's hope!

Thanks for the reply! I'm actually going back today to get a new Implanon put in. The cervix-softening medication might have worked, but I didn't want to try going back, have it fail again, and tack on another wasted day/another dang week of no sexy funtimes without condoms. Ugh.

The lady who tried to put it in said she does a ton of IUDs, so I don't think it was her...

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
The nice thing is that I don't notice the IUD at all anymore. However, I'm wondering if stress is throwing off my cycle because I had one day the month after insertion that was like my period, but there wasn't much blood and it was pretty much the one day. I'm not super worried, just weirded out and wondering when the hell I'll get a real period so I can see if it's as heavy as it's supposed to be.

And when can I expect the discharge to fade away? The little gooey blobs of cells are really starting to gross me out.

Mathematics
Jun 22, 2011
Okay this is probably pretty stupid but I'm really feeling paranoid after dropping condoms out of our routine for the first time in my life. (I use combination pills.)

I took a pill about 5 hours late this month and got some spotting. Theoretically I know this shouldn't be a big deal at all, but I'm worried about it.

My friends keep telling me horror stories too. "You know, your period doesn't mean you're 100% safe. Women bleed during pregnancy!" "Some women don't respond to home pregnancy tests until a week or more after their missed periods or more so you still won't know until mid June!" "My cousin had a period, negative tests, took her pills on time, and didn't find out she was pregnant until it was too late to abort!"

Well, looking it up online, it seems like all of these situations are at least possible. It's pretty well bumming me out. I just started my placebos today. My logic is that if I start my period and test, it's almost 100% sure that I'm not pregnant. What are the odds I'd randomly have pregnancy bleeding exactly when my withdrawal bleed is supposed to be?

But they are really worrying me with their talk. Any advice? Sorry if this is more of an E/N topic.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
I think all of that is unbelievably unlikely. Nothing is impossible but it's just super, super, super unlikely. Being 5 hours late then having spotting is most likely to be coincidence more than anything.

I'm still fat as gently caress with this gd thing, at least I'm hoping it's just the Mirena :ohdear: :sweatdrop:

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Implanon made me nauseous. It also gave me a period every other week and made me so emotional I cried every day for months until I finally had it taken out a year early.

So uh...your mileage may vary.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
Jumping in on Implanon discussion--sorry if this has already been covered.

Has anyone other than the above poster ^ had long bouts of bleeding on Implanon? I have Nexplanon but same thing pretty much. I started a period about 1 1/2 weeks after insertion, and now it's been another 9 days with no end in sight. My doc said give it two months before deciding one way or the other--if I want to keep it or not. But I definitely don't want to have a period 90% of the time, which is the majority of horror stories I have heard.

I used to have NuvaRing on which I did 4 weeks in, 1 week out for years, but there's a possibility I'll be losing insurance soon, plus coupled with the fact I want to travel long term with my husband without dealing with filling prescriptions in other countries and/or making sure my rings are refrigerated. I liked NuvaRing other than the very real travel problems it could cause when it comes to accessibility as well as the price if we don't get to keep Tricare after he's out on medical from the Army (if he gets medical retirement, we keep it, so insurance isn't an issue anymore, but if not, we lose it).

The silver lining: I at least have a MoonCup, so extended bleeding isn't so much of a hassle. But the bleeding does make me not want to have sex. :(

Hip Hoptimus Prime fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
When I first got Implanon, I bled for awhile after every time my cervix was hit during sex. It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that was the culprit. After a few months (maybe 2? It was years ago), that went away, and it's been smooth sailing ever since. Sorry if you're hearing this story for the millionth time.

• Locked thread