Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Yeah at this point unless they add something really major during closed beta, like combat I'm probably done for a while. It just feels pointless putting any effort into things that you *know* will be gone in short order.

I guess I never liked building sand castles enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Same here- done until ob

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

But I don't think they are deleting templates so you can build something cool save it, then farm the items to build it and plop it down.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Already been doing that. Getting bored, especially when we still don't have a good smoothing tool yet. I'll just wait until playing matters again and check other stuff out for the next few months.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Out of curiosity, how often are some of y'all able to really play? Between work and egregious wi-fi issues I've been able to only muster somewhere around 5-6hrs a week, usually noncontinuous. I keep seeing the things other people are building and getting a little daunted, but I have no idea what kind of time they've sunk into it.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

If previous everquest experience is anything to go by, the amount of time some people are putting into this game is all of it. Literally. All of time.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah at this point unless they add something really major during closed beta, like combat I'm probably done for a while. It just feels pointless putting any effort into things that you *know* will be gone in short order.

I guess I never liked building sand castles enough.

They are adding combat before open beta.

Open beta isn't happening for several more months.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

I'm probably going to go on break for a while, I've reached the limit of creativity and drive to mine more friggin copper. I'll be back next major update though just to see whats going on

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Mephiston posted:

I'm probably going to go on break for a while, I've reached the limit of creativity and drive to mine more friggin copper. I'll be back next major update though just to see whats going on

yeah,I loaded up my copper and then deleted all but one claim so I am set for the next 32 days. I don't really feel like grinding away when I am going to loose everything.

Gentwise
Sep 12, 2003
Gentwise Bankfourthe, Esquire.
Just got in the beta. This game is pretty incredible. Coming from minecraft, the flexibility of the build tools is staggering. I can't wait to see what they add and what people create.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

So the first bit of SOE-ness has just crept into landmark. The devs (Smokejumper himself, at that) are asking for proof or evidence as to why we believe that people who have paid for founders should be entitled to a steam key, now that Landmark has launched on steam.

https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/steam-keys-requesting-info.37632/

You can check out the thread there. Lot of soapboxing from people about the evils of steam, and how if we dont like it we should just demand a refund.

I can understand their trepidation over giving people with friend and limited keys steam access keys, but for those that have paid? It's a bit much.

Maybe I'm being a huge babby about it all, but I'm considering asking for a refund if they don't give us one, as I honestly don't see why it would be such a problem.

I dunno, what do you guys think?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Who cares. Demanding a refund because a game is in a different folder on your computer is childish and reeks entitleist.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
The whole controversy seems pretty dumb to me. If you want to run the game through Steam right now, add Landmark as a non-Steam game until it is out of Early Access.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
All I can say is that I love it when someone uses the word "entitled" in a gaming thread because it never fails to improve the quality of discourse from that point forward.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I'm not going to be demanding a refund or anything, but giving the people who paid for the development of the game a steam key is the right thing to do. Not doing that would make me very hesitant on giving the game any more cash in the future.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Yeah, I personally don't mind not having Landmark as an official Steam game in my library. But if small indie devs like the KSP guys and even the inept Project Zomboid dudes can give out Steam keys to their early adopters then I don't see why SOE couldn't do the same.

itsnice2bnice fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 20, 2014

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Why wouldn't they just give the keys? Sure, you could "just add it as a non-steam game", but why not just give the loving key?

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Why wouldn't they just give the keys? Sure, you could "just add it as a non-steam game", but why not just give the loving key?

Smokejumper said it's because valve would take 30% of their in games sales from then on. I don't care about that though. I want a steam key.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

joebob posted:

Smokejumper said it's because valve would take 30% of their in games sales from then on. I don't care about that though. I want a steam key.

So basically "gently caress our early backers"? Because the game is out on steam now, a huge part of the new players from now on are going to get the game from steam, the only ones screwed are the ones that helped the development at the earliest.

I mean I haven't bought in yet (just got a 7 day free trial) so it's all the same to me, but seems like a dick move.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

So basically "gently caress our early backers"? Because the game is out on steam now, a huge part of the new players from now on are going to get the game from steam, the only ones screwed are the ones that helped the development at the earliest.

What exactly does having the game on Steam give you that owning the non-Steam version doesn't? There's a lot of vitriol being thrown around here for something that seems hilariously insignificant.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

Vulpes posted:

What exactly does having the game on Steam give you that owning the non-Steam version doesn't? There's a lot of vitriol being thrown around here for something that seems hilariously insignificant.

Absolutely nothing, if it's the same as Planetside 2. Steam won't even handle the updates for the game.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

I don't get why this is an issue. It's a F2P game so when it's finally released just download it on steam and log in on your $100 account with all the digital goods.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Krowley posted:

I don't get why this is an issue. It's a F2P game so when it's finally released just download it on steam and log in on your $100 account with all the digital goods.

Pretty much. I seriously doubt they'll even link up in-game achievements with Steam's so it's a complete non-issue. I think companies only give out Steam keys to past customers when they switch their game over to the Steamworks platform completely. SOE just uses it as an additional storefront.

I also don't think Georgeson was trying to be a dick about this. He genuinely wanted to know if there was some additional benefit he was missing. And there really wasn't other than tracking played time in Steam during Alpha/Beta.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Krowley posted:

Yeah after thinking about it for a bit thats pretty much what i'll wind up doing. Not having it on steam isnt a big deal, and yeah it was a pretty childish thing to jump on the "AAAAA REFUND" bandwagon.

Still think it's a lovely thing for them to do to tell their early founders to get hosed though.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
So the $19.99 Settlers pack allows you to play now right, since on Steam it says the game is in Closed Beta? Just making sure before I spend any money.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Yep, the $20 pack gives you immediate access to the closed beta.

But the closed beta for Landmark is more of an alpha, since the game isn't feature complete yet. ATM there's not much to do beyond collecting resources and building with them, but the building is pretty fun and worth it IMO.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Landmark runs like poo poo for me and I have a really good PC. Any settings I should turn off or something?

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Mustang posted:

Landmark runs like poo poo for me and I have a really good PC. Any settings I should turn off or something?

Shadows seem to have the biggest impact on framerate right now, so try turning them down.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Mustang posted:

Keep in mind that the game will tell you what the bottleneck is. It will show [CPU] or [GPU] in the top-left corner. That can help you figure out what is causing the major issues.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

joebob posted:

Why would they put Landmark up on Steam at all then?

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Why would they put Landmark up on Steam at all then?
The same reason anything wants to be on Steam? More people to play/spend money. Landmark will get a lot more exposure on Steam, especially as a F2P on live (no reason not to try it if you're bored and searching the Steam store for something to play).

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Alienware is giving away free beta keys that give 7 days access to Landmark:
http://na.alienwarearena.com/giveaways/landmark-7-day-closed-beta-access-key-giveaway

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape
^^ thanks

So what the hell is this game? I see that https://www.landmarkthegame.com/home has removed all mention of EQ, I thought originally Landmark was some sort of pre-beta EQNext spinoff with a toolset slapped on for people to create content so the devs don't have to? It looks like a standalone Minecrafty thing now. Does SOE even have a plan or are they just flying by the seat of their pants?

e: "WELCOME TO CLOSED BETA!" good golly, ponytail guy, i almost pooped myself

treerat fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 24, 2014

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

So how far up and down can you build here? In my mostly short time with Minecraft and other *Build poo poo* games, I always got more entertainment out of making elaborate bunkers than castles or towers.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 24, 2014

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Slarlid posted:

^^ thanks

So what the hell is this game? I see that https://www.landmarkthegame.com/home has removed all mention of EQ, I thought originally Landmark was some sort of pre-beta EQNext spinoff with a toolset slapped on for people to create content so the devs don't have to? It looks like a standalone Minecrafty thing now. Does SOE even have a plan or are they just flying by the seat of their pants?

e: "WELCOME TO CLOSED BETA!" good golly, ponytail guy, i almost pooped myself

Right now it's an alpha release of a tech demo for the next Everquest MMO.

Diran
Jan 28, 2014
Pretty sure they said it will be a standalone game from EQNext.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Diran posted:

Pretty sure they said it will be a standalone game from EQNext.

They dropped the EQ from the name because its going to be more standalone then originally planned. From what I've read they basically wanted the Landmark to be a free source of "landmarks" in EQNext. They would hold contests and you could win cool stuff in EQNext (along with your building in EQNext). They are still going to do that, but they are going to support Landmark a ton more then planned they didn't think it was going to be as cool as it is. It's a pretty fun and interesting game as is. It also wont really matter if it has anything at all to do with EQNext since Sony is going F2P with everything and a universal $15/month for station access to all of their games if you feel like subbing. So you wont be forced to pay anything extra even if they somehow hammer every single one of their games into one.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
As cool as it is seeing what people have built, I'd like a private server version that allowed building anywhere, unrestricted. The claims are just too small.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
This alpha/beta has dragged on forever. I log on one a month it seems to find a few things different, but overall it's still barely what I would call a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

It's been in testing for four months or so. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Granted, they didn't have the select tool, but still.

• Locked thread