Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I'm really hoping Hixson and koreban can make it over to my place today, I really wanna try the new stuff out.

Also my warhound titan :vd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lord Twisted posted:

Played my first game. So fun. So fun.

Tactical objectives own so hard it's unreal.
Played an ork buddy. He summoned demons on me. My thunderfire wrecked all his troops but due to tactical objectives he was winning until the final turn. Continually changing game dynamic and it really made me think each turn to score maximum points. Psychic phase was smooth as silk. Challenges are no longer busted.

My librarian went demonic, fired off soul flames and beams of death, before getting warp charged and staying his warlord. Then he went into CC with a kan fired a demon beam, blew up the kan behind the kan he was fighting, and then his head exploded from perils.

10/10 would blow own head off again

Did you find anything jarring compared to 6th?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ooh! top of page (sorta), so here's some pictures of a tank I finished this week and posted in the last thread:

7E chat:
What Daemons models should I be looking for on eBay for the Daemon psyker stuff? a Bloodthirster, 10 Bloodletters and what else?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Tuxedo Jack posted:

So I bought some Leman Russes (mind you, I haven't touched IG in almost 7 years) - and neither kit came with a dozer blade or the covers for the tracks... Are those not part of the new kits?

AFAIK when they re-cut the Leman Russ with all the Turret options they removed the accessory sprue. Same with the Demolisher version and the Hellhound. I think the only tank box which comes with one is the Chimera. They are sold separately on the site if you need them though - http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Imperial-Guard-Tank-Accessories

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Can someone do a rundown of the Maelstrom tactical objectives?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Zark the Damned posted:

AFAIK when they re-cut the Leman Russ with all the Turret options they removed the accessory sprue. Same with the Demolisher version and the Hellhound. I think the only tank box which comes with one is the Chimera. They are sold separately on the site if you need them though - http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Imperial-Guard-Tank-Accessories

So... They're more expensive now, and come with less stuff?

Ugh. So I have to buy a dozen of these, too. Great.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

ijyt posted:

Did you find anything jarring compared to 6th?

I agree making a whole edition update is a money grab... The demon summoning is powerful as gently caress but so risky unless you're demonic yourself. You need 3x 4+ so at least 5 dice to guarantee, you're gonna perils.

Bound v unbound... The objective secured buff isn't enough to balance it, but that's a whole other issue. Just don't be a dick.

The edition was fun. Psykers are pretty clutch now. I'm going to run inquisitors with sanctic powers like a baller.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Tuxedo Jack posted:

So... They're more expensive now, and come with less stuff?

Ugh. So I have to buy a dozen of these, too. Great.

Pretty much, though they do have all the turret and sponson options in the kit (original LRBT kit only had HB sides and a Las front). Guess it's a trade off.

If you only want Dozer Blades there are a bunch of 3rd party manufacturers who make those, e.g. Puppetswar http://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=71 - however they're not that much cheaper than just getting the sprues.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Slimnoid posted:

As many detachments as you want, eh?

500pts per, 2k on the nose.

gently caress everything.

I'd introduce that junk to a couple land raider redeemers full of assault terminators, maybe throw in an imperial knight or two for good measure, and then afterwards discuss the merits of not trying to take the fun out of playing a game about plastic spacemans.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Lungboy posted:

18 of them are identical capture X objective ones as you discard them permanently after you achieve them or want to do your free objective redraw once/turn.

The rest are a medley of things like kill vehicles, flyers, warlords, completely annihilate enemies in shooting/assault, capture 2x the objectives compared to your opponent... All of those are two tier.

E. G. You destroy an enemy unit in shooting - 1VP
Or you destroy 3 enemy units in shooting - d3VP but only in one phase.

So you have to think. Do you go for the quick kill? Or do you spend a turn weakening the foe for the big finish and a shot at d3 points rather than just 1?

E: for perspective - I took out both my opponents ork mobs turn 1 with lucky shooting and my librarian going warp enhanced and kicking butt. He was still winning through tactical objectives until turn 5. It's balanced - you can discard the useless ones.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Zark the Damned posted:

Pretty much, though they do have all the turret and sponson options in the kit (original LRBT kit only had HB sides and a Las front). Guess it's a trade off.

If you only want Dozer Blades there are a bunch of 3rd party manufacturers who make those, e.g. Puppetswar http://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=71 - however they're not that much cheaper than just getting the sprues.

I'd like the whole sprue - according to GW's site they're temporarily out of stock. I hope I'm not chasing these for 6 months, ugh.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Shallow posted:

Also gently caress you whoever mentioned ebay I just logged in and ended up buying that mail-order captain.

:haw:

Personally I'm surprised that gargoyles aren't going for less than 50% off RRP.

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.
Since everyone is sharing their models.......

So far this, is the army I have semi-painted, sadly I don't have a fancy camera only my phone but Inquisitor Bismarck and his brother, the good knight Sir Bismarck, stand ready to defend my desk from any threat, also Coteaz with U.N. pdf troopers.

http://imgur.com/a/Igmoy

Sivores fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 24, 2014

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Post 9-11 User posted:

Your models are tops and having Abaddon stand up and not hunched over/no-neck does a tremendous amount to improve how he looks (I know most of the model was replaced rather than repositioned, blah blah).

Thanks! Yeah the old Abaddon model isn't terrible, but he just can't hang with the new plastic Terminators I wanted to use for my Black Legion army. Fortunately the Chaos Terminator Lord gets most of the way there in a kitbash, though I had to do a custom green stuff job on the chest to get the skull+tubing that Abaddon has. Without that it's a simple kitbash (aside from cleaning up the finecast bits) that looks great when it's all said and done.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zark the Damned posted:

To be fair, that the sprue hasn't been a part of the lemon russ kit for quite a while now (last codex).

ijyt posted:

What's wrong with gargoyles? (I just rounded out my army with 30).

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

LordAba posted:

To be fair, that the sprue hasn't been a part of the lemon russ kit for quite a while now (last codex).

Don't know, I just never see them in anyone's list unless it's Skyblight.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

krushgroove posted:

Ooh! top of page (sorta), so here's some pictures of a tank I finished this week and posted in the last thread:

7E chat:
What Daemons models should I be looking for on eBay for the Daemon psyker stuff? a Bloodthirster, 10 Bloodletters and what else?

Bloodthirsters , Plaguebearers, Bloodletters, Fleshhounds? the khorne doggies, Bloodcrushers. Tzeentch Heralds as they can summon more Daemons.

Bloodcrushers next to the Greater Daemons are the best thing you can summon. Lord of change is good because he can summon more Daemons. I'd suggest if imperial guard summoning Tzeentch first or if you get possession Bloodthirster.

Just because summoning a Flying monstrous creature that can fly over and summon more Daemons is Hilarious, plus you don't lose Warp Charge.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Sivores posted:

Since everyone is sharing their models.......

So far this, is the army I have semi-painted, sadly I don't have a fancy camera only my phone but Inquisitor Bismarck and his brother, the good knight Sir Bismarck, stand ready to defend my desk from any threat, also Coteaz with U.N. pdf troopers.

http://imgur.com/a/Igmoy

In the grim darkness of the far future there are only security council resolutions.

Tuxedo Jack, I recommend buying the tank track guards on ebay or from a bitz site, and then magnetising a few dozer blades and all your tank hulls, since you will never really want all your tanks to be rocking dozer blades at once. Not sure if the chimera includes the upgrade sprue, but basilisks definitely do.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

LordAba posted:

"Objective Secured" was the gargoyles' special snowflake gently caress YOU power ("Skyblight?") not only to contest, but cancel your opponent's contesting an objective. Now all troops get it, so they kinda got shat on. That said, do they even get it if you don't take the data slate formation for it? I figure it'd be hilarious to have an unbound 'Nid army full of gargoyles infinitely respawning and laughing other assholes off of objectives.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Slimnoid posted:

Librarian (ML2) - 90
2x Scouts - 110
3x Thunderfire Cannon - 300

Librarian (ML2) - 90
2x Scouts - 110

Librarian (ML2) - 90
2x Scouts - 110

Librarian (ML2) - 90
2x Scouts - 110

If someone actually builds 12 Thunderfire Cannons, they deserve a win (not that this list would win).

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Lord Twisted posted:

Played my first game. So fun. So fun.

Tactical objectives own so hard it's unreal.
Played an ork buddy. He summoned demons on me. My thunderfire wrecked all his troops but due to tactical objectives he was winning until the final turn. Continually changing game dynamic and it really made me think each turn to score maximum points. Psychic phase was smooth as silk. Challenges are no longer busted.

My librarian went demonic, fired off soul flames and beams of death, before getting warp charged and staying his warlord. Then he went into CC with a kan fired a demon beam, blew up the kan behind the kan he was fighting, and then his head exploded from perils.

10/10 would blow own head off again

Sounds fun but also like a game of Warhammer: Super Smash Battle Brothers. What changes to challenges make it better other than overkill (overkill seems to remove any penalty of sniping out that enemy sergeant)?

Slimnoid posted:

code:
Librarian (ML2) - 90
2x Scouts - 110

Librarian (ML2) - 90
2x Scouts - 110

Librarian (ML2) - 90
2x Scouts - 110

Librarian (ML2) - 90
2x Scouts - 110

Why not a Master Of The Forge or two? More shooting, Fortify Defenses, et cetera.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

HI I'M THE ORKS GUY HOW ARE ORKS DOING ARE THEY UPDATING ORKS? WHAT IS SEVENTH EDITION LIKE FOR ORKS

K THANKS SEE YOU IN ANOTHER TEN YEARS

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Infinite Karma posted:

If someone actually builds 12 Thunderfire Cannons, they deserve a win (not that this list would win).

Lemme tell you about Mantic.

Post 9-11 User posted:

Why not a Master Of The Forge or two? More shooting, Fortify Defenses, et cetera.

Librarian can toss out Divination as needed so some of the TFC's become more accurate, or Misfortune to deal with tough armor/high saves. Plus, with 12 techmarines on the board, there's no need for more fortifying.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Hollismason posted:

Bloodthirsters , Plaguebearers, Bloodletters, Fleshhounds? the khorne doggies, Bloodcrushers. Tzeentch Heralds as they can summon more Daemons.

Bloodcrushers next to the Greater Daemons are the best thing you can summon. Lord of change is good because he can summon more Daemons. I'd suggest if imperial guard summoning Tzeentch first or if you get possession Bloodthirster.

Just because summoning a Flying monstrous creature that can fly over and summon more Daemons is Hilarious, plus you don't lose Warp Charge.

Thanks, I also found the picture of the WD page: https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/t31.0-8/p843x403/10333547_10152489684194954_3873038486156362195_o.jpg

It's...quite a shopping list!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

"Objective Secured" was the gargoyles' special snowflake gently caress YOU power ("Skyblight?") not only to contest, but cancel your opponent's contesting an objective. Now all troops get it, so they kinda got shat on. That said, do they even get it if you don't take the data slate formation for it? I figure it'd be hilarious to have an unbound 'Nid army full of gargoyles infinitely respawning and laughing other assholes off of objectives.

Oh for fucks sake.

I'm just going to houserule in the "no charging if you swooped and landed" and "one grounding test" into 6th and call it a day.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

ijyt posted:

Don't know, I just never see them in anyone's list unless it's Skyblight.

I use them, but don't play Skyblight. I just make a big stupid line of them across my deployment and use them as meatshields until they die. It's silly how many times people will spend their entire turn 1 just gunning down 15 unupgraded gargoyles and not even looking at the more important stuff.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DO IT TO IT posted:

I use them, but don't play Skyblight. I just make a big stupid line of them across my deployment and use them as meatshields until they die. It's silly how many times people will spend their entire turn 1 just gunning down 15 unupgraded gargoyles and not even looking at the more important stuff.

Alternatively, I may be the only (soon to be) 'nid player in my entire area.

Woah, woah, everything in battleforged armies scores? And unbound armies can't score? Do dataslates/codices still overrule the BRB, because my planned unbound "the ground is made of lava so you better have some wings" tyranid army with skyblight formation might have just become null and void.

e: Alternatively I can Force Org it with some Shrikes and just bump it to 2000 points.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 24, 2014

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Slimnoid posted:

Librarian can toss out Divination as needed so some of the TFC's become more accurate, or Misfortune to deal with tough armor/high saves. Plus, with 12 techmarines on the board, there's no need for more fortifying.

Can generic Librarians roll on Divination?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Slimnoid posted:

Lemme tell you about Mantic.

Oh duh, I forgot that the "gunners" can Fortify. :doh:

And, yeah, 3 "Thunderfire" cannons for ~$40? Mantic all the way, 1000%

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 24, 2014

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

ijyt posted:

Alternatively, I may be the only (soon to be) 'nid player in my entire area.

Woah, woah, everything in battleforged armies scores? And unbound armies can't score? Do dataslates/codices still overrule the BRB, because my planned unbound "the ground is made of lava so you better have some wings" tyranid army with skyblight formation might have just become null and void.

e: Alternatively I can Force Org it with some Shrikes and just bump it to 2000 points.

I haven't read the rules (I'm not going to my LGS and paying full price for this poo poo, I'll wait for the mini-book), but I thought the rumor of unbound armies not scoring had been frabricated. Everyone scores, but battleforged troops get objective secured (and skyblight gargoyles).

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

drgnvale posted:

I haven't read the rules (I'm not going to my LGS and paying full price for this poo poo, I'll wait for the mini-book), but I thought the rumor of unbound armies not scoring had been frabricated. Everyone scores, but battleforged troops get objective secured (and skyblight gargoyles).

Hmm, slightly more manageable then. I should probably just chill and instead of going all :derp:, I should have an actual game of 7th instead.

And while I can squeeze in some bit more Tyranid chat, what exactly makes Shrikes (or Warriors in general?) so terrible?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

ijyt posted:

:haw:

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

I just noticed they severely nerfed Blind. It now works like a grounding test - a single roll made at the and of the phase regardless of how many Blind attacks were successful. So Gargoyles can't benefit from it on the turn they charged, and there's a good chance most units will just pass the single test anyway.

ijyt posted:

And while I can squeeze in some bit more Tyranid chat, what exactly makes Shrikes (or Warriors in general?) so terrible?

They're a 30pt unit with a crappy save, mediocre range + BS for their shooting weapons, and get ID'd with ease. Generally the only good use for Warriors is as synapse and a supporting Barbed Strangler to try and pin units. If Warriors were 20-25pts basic I'd probably take them more often, if only as cheap Synapse and objective holders.
Shrikes die in droves to bolters thanks to their terrible 5+ armour. While they can make it into combat fairly easily, you're looking at throwing Terminator level points to make them any good at it, and they'll still drop to a single powerfist.

xtothez fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 24, 2014

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

SRM posted:

Was wound allocation changed in any way, aside from spillover from challenges? I haven't seen much about it is all so I wasn't sure.

Technically wound allocation did change for shooting attacks (due to the new "one gun at a time" thing) but a lot of the time it won't matter. And yeah, explosions and several other things are random now. gently caress random allocation forever.

haakman posted:

What the gently caress - that basically removes one of the combat drugs rolls for DE. DE being S3 and all.

gently caress you GW

The DE combat drug result is "reroll to wound" not poison. In that respect, at least, they are fine- in every other respect, of course, they are hosed good and hardcore.

CyberLord XP posted:

Is this real?

Sadly it is very real. DE and Orks are even worse off than they were.

Crazy Ferret posted:

I do have a question about the new rules. I read on the 3++ blog that a weapon cannot allocate wounds outside of LOS. Does that mean if I have a mortar or some kind of artillery weapon that scatters behind a wall on models the weapon crew cannot see, the damage is negated? Does this affect the Hellhound's torrent attack?

Mortars are other barrage weapons that do not require LOS will ignore that rule. The hellhound, however, will not.

Lungboy posted:

18 of the 36 of them are triplicate "capture this particular objective" missions, worth 1pt. (You can't roll the same Tactical Objective more than once during a game, but there are three different-but-identical versions of each one.)

Six of them are slightly more specialized "capture these points/be near this table edge" ones that are typically worth more VP.

The remaining twelve involve killing either any unit, a particular unit type (a psyker, a building/emplacement, a warlord, an MC, a vehicle), killing a unit during a particular phase, or killing a particular number of units. Almost all of them have a bonus for killing more than the minimum number.

The various Maelstrom of War missions give you varying numbers of Tactical Objective cards, ranging from one to six. Some of them stay the same through the course of the game, some increase the number of cards you get, some decrease it. It's actually fairly neat. In (almost) all cases you can choose to pitch one of your cards at the end of your turn for a new one, and if you have fewer than the "correct number" at the beginning of your turn (due to completing or discarding them), you draw up to that number.

ijyt posted:

Unbound armies score normally, just like Bound armies do- they just can't benefit from the Objective Secured rule (except for Skyblight, because its Gargoyles have that rule.) Unbound armies are explicitly allowed to take dataslate formations if they wish to and benefit from the rules for them.

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
With the templates on open-topped vehicles and fire ports.. Are those wounds still ignore cover? No one mentioned it so far. If not, I would consider that a bit of a balance. If not, my guardsmen are still going to roast to Space Marine flamers on those ports.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Is it really worth trying to fit the Banner of Devastation in to a 1k point Ravenwing, or just go for the hit and run one at this point value?

Also, if I'm running a couple typhoon speeders am I able to cut down on melta/plasma in the individual squads?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Post 9-11 User posted:

Oh duh, I forgot that the "gunners" can Fortify. :doh:

And, yeah, 3 "Thunderfire" cannons for ~$40? Mantic all the way, 1000%

Yeah, back when I was playing regularly a decade ago GW still cared about the tournament scene. There were Games Days and Grand Tournaments run by GW. And one of the rules when GW was in charge was "only Citadel miniatures." Which put a damper on buying things like the Mantic Thunderfire substitutes.

But now? Now that GW's abandoned any control over tourneys? gently caress 'em. Buy what you want from whom you want. I notice that one of the Mantic kits, the "Heat Cannon" comes with enough bits to make both a Thunderfire substitute and an Icaraus Lascannon mount. Or swap it around and make a Quad-Gun and maybe use the Heat Cannon as your Thunderfire?

The point is, there are options besides overpriced GW stuff. If you're willing to look for it, or browse a lot on ebay, you can fill out your army for a lot less cash. And without the limits on what minis your tournament army can field, why not have a look? You might find something you like.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DO IT TO IT posted:

For laughs I took a chunky unit of gargoyles in front of a brood of 3 CC carnifex. Cheap as hell.

Opponent took his 5 man kitted out thunderwolf squad, charged into the gargoyles because they were in the way, and killed them all. So I charge in, smash attack with 9 attacks rerolling to hit all at S10 to instakill the entire squad in one go. Best thing ever.

I was a fan of the ultralisk/zergling build in starcraft.

quote:

I just noticed they severely nerfed Blind. It now works like a grounding test - a single roll made at the and of the phase regardless of how many Blind attacks were successful. So Gargoyles can't benefit from it on the turn they charged, and there's a good chance most units will just pass the single test anyway.

Seriously? I would say they are taking the "throw changes at the wall and see what sticks" approach, except that they scrap the wall clean every other day!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Miruvor posted:

With the templates on open-topped vehicles and fire ports.. Are those wounds still ignore cover? No one mentioned it so far. If not, I would consider that a bit of a balance. If not, my guardsmen are still going to roast to Space Marine flamers on those ports.

What cover save are your dudes getting inside a transport? :confused: Besides, templates always ignore cover so it's kind of a moot point.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

xtothez posted:

They're a 30pt unit with a crappy save, mediocre range + BS for their shooting weapons, and get ID'd with ease. Generally the only good use for Warriors is as synapse and a supporting Barbed Strangler to try and pin units. If Warriors were 20-25pts basic I'd probably take them more often, if only as cheap Synapse and objective holders.
Shrikes die in droves to bolters thanks to their terrible 5+ armour. While they can make it into combat fairly easily, you're looking at throwing Terminator level points to make them any good at it, and they'll still drop to a single powerfist.

I'm not sure what blind actually does, because none of the armies I played against utilised it. That, and my Tau are basically immune to it but that's beside the point.

I suppose I could maybe run Warriors modeled as Shrikes, as I plan to have my board full of terrain. If I had them as synapse it would mean that my Flyrants could worry less about babysitting.

What is synapse important for by the way, as the gargoyles in Skyblight have Fearless, I think there's another rule - instinctive behaviour - that synapse deals with, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
The point is moot with flamers, whether or not they get cover from blast markers depends on whether or not Games Workshop bothered to write rules for whether or not models inside transports get cover.

Probably not

jng2058 posted:

I notice that one of the Mantic kits, the "Heat Cannon" comes with enough bits to make both a Thunderfire substitute and an Icaraus Lascannon mount. Or swap it around and make a Quad-Gun and maybe use the Heat Cannon as your Thunderfire?

I just love the use of "Heavy Heat" when out of context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bar3GOzDNzg&t=188s

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 24, 2014

• Locked thread