Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Went 4-1 at Game Day with a Mono U list that run 4x Nykthos and 4x Dictate of Kruphix. Dictate was a bit of a comedy option since I couldn't get Nightveil Specters in time but Dictate was surprisingly decent. 2 Devotion at instant speed that is hard to get rid of is really handy and I was able to go off with Dictate + Nykthos a few times. The annoying part was having to constantly remind people to draw their extra card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

En Fuego posted:

They can be reported for Unsportsmanlike Conduct, right?

Best I would say is have the HJ/Store Owner have a talk with them, and let them know that it's not acceptable to do that, the next time they come in. You just need to let the store owner that you feel this way. Don't just expect it.

At regular, an actual threat is generally dealt with with a DQ, to the point where an unregistered spectator can be registered just to be DQ'ed. This can be taken very serious however, so TO/store owners decision but If I was the judge Id definitely make it clear it wpuld be a DQ next time

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

SteelMentor posted:

When I called a judge over he flipped his poo poo, arguing with us that they were legal and that Game Day was Modern. After the judge ruled that he would take a loss and be allowed to remove the offending cards he scooped, stormed out and make some sort of vague threat towards me.

That's not how it works at regular REL though. Any illegal cards are turned into basic lands of the owner's choice, and I believe they get the chance to replace them for the next round, although I could be wrong there.

Dude still sounds like a tool, but the judge was wrong.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I should've went to Somerset. :sigh:

Eh, maybe one of my friends will show up on the Featured Match. Maybe.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

suicidesteve posted:

That's not how it works at regular REL though. Any illegal cards are turned into basic lands of the owner's choice, and I believe they get the chance to replace them for the next round, although I could be wrong there.

Dude still sounds like a tool, but the judge was wrong.

We weren't exactly sure how to rule and thought that was a fair compromise, but thanks for the clarification. I don't think it was the ruling that pissed the player off though, I think it was that he got proven wrong on the rules in the first place as he's constantly known for butting into games and giving (usually wrong) rules advice.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

SteelMentor posted:

We weren't exactly sure how to rule and thought that was a fair compromise, but thanks for the clarification. I don't think it was the ruling that pissed the player off though, I think it was that he got proven wrong on the rules in the first place as he's constantly known for butting into games and giving (usually wrong) rules advice.

Here's a link tot the official "Judging at Regular" document, which details common problems and the answers to them in Regular situations (FNM, Game Day, Pre-releases, etc etc. Basically almost anything that's sanctioned but not serious like a GPT or PTQ.)

http://wpn.wizards.com/sites/wpn/files/attachements/Magic_The_Gathering_Judging_at_Regular_REL_PDF1.pdf

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Question.

Detention Sphere hits the board, targeting my Desecration Demon. I have two Desecration Demons on the board.
If I Devour Flesh myself and target the Desecration Demon he targeted with the EtB effect, does it fizzle and not take my other Desecration Demon?

mehall posted:

If the Demon that was targeted is no longer around, then yes the remove ability is countered on resolution and will not remove any other permanents that shared a name.

Neat.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 24, 2014

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Question.

Detention Sphere hits the board, targeting my Desecration Demon. I have two Desecration Demons on the board.
If I Devour Flesh myself and target the Desecration Demon he targeted with the EtB effect, does it fizzle and not take my other Desecration Demon?

If the Demon that was targeted is no longer around, then yes the remove ability is countered on resolution and will not remove any other permanents that shared a name.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm trying to get a idea of what's played in block for next werkends GP, but mtggoldfish doesn't seem to show JOU decks, even though its been online a few weeks, whats going on?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm trying to get a idea of what's played in block for next werkends GP, but mtggoldfish doesn't seem to show JOU decks, even though its been online a few weeks, whats going on?

There's a good R/G deck with Stormbreath Dragons, there's a BUG Control deck, Junk midrange, Boros Aggro, Mono Black Aggro, and there's this Travis Woo mono blue aggro deck that might be a thing. People were playing Esper a lot on MTGO but it didn't perform well in the PT. B/G Constellation might be real too.

I enjoy playing the R/G deck the most, although I play it with Elspeths as well.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

4x Courser of Kruphix
4x Sylvan Caryatid
4x Eslpeth

Fill in the rest with whatever you like.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

There's a good R/G deck with Stormbreath Dragons, there's a BUG Control deck, Junk midrange, Boros Aggro, Mono Black Aggro, and there's this Travis Woo mono blue aggro deck that might be a thing. People were playing Esper a lot on MTGO but it didn't perform well in the PT. B/G Constellation might be real too.

I enjoy playing the R/G deck the most, although I play it with Elspeths as well.

Mostly I want to figure out if I want to stick with my BW Aggro, which gets some nice bits like Hero of Iroas and God's Willing, or switch to fully black. BW doesn't seem to be making an impact and my build doesn't feature much that will just show up and threaten to win the game for me, I have to assemble something with Bestow or Heroic triggers. It's at least fun enough for the length of time I'll play it.

It's annoying that I can't seem to build a bloc deck with Elspeth, I have two, and I think successful block decks with her run four, plus green and Caryatids, which I don't have. I have Coursers and might see if I can get silly money for them on the Friday.

Edit: ^^^quite so

But why is MTGGoldfish showing only BNG decks winning dailys? I don't play MTGO really, but thought that it would be recording the current block meta from it?

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Stinky Pit posted:

4x Courser of Kruphix
4x Sylvan Caryatid
4x Eslpeth

Fill in the rest with whatever you like.

Yea, this is what I am expecting at the Manchester GP next weekend, I will report back.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Both CFB teams played a BUG control deck in the PT, using Prognostic Sphinx to counter Elspeth. Other than that I think you need Elspeth unless you're monoB aggro.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.

BizarroAzrael posted:

But why is MTGGoldfish showing only BNG decks winning dailys? I don't play MTGO really, but thought that it would be recording the current block meta from it?

I see Journey cards in plenty of the posted decks? One of the decks that went in the last posted daily 4-0 has a Feast of Dreams and Agent of Erebos in the SB. Another has Eidolon of Blossons, Brain Maggot, Banishing Light and Silence the Believers. Silence the Believers on the 16th, and so on and so forth.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Yeah I forgot about the BUG deck.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
What is the BUG control list thats putting up results?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Agentdark posted:

What is the BUG control list thats putting up results?

Look at Josh Utter-Leyton's, Reid Duke's, and Jamie Parke's lists here.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
Went to my FLGS' Gameday today, came second, so close.

The finals was my mono-black aggro vs mono-black control. We both eventually stalled out and went 8 or 9 turns doing nothing, I ended with like 16 lands in play. Eventually he got a Pack Rat down and I had nothing left to remove it.

Aside from the games in the finals, Mogis' Marauder was a real winner in the deck. There was one player who got so pissed because of that card, that he bought a copy of it after the tournament to rip up as it just ruined his day.

Hall of Triumph was also pretty good, landing a Master of the Feast, and then having someone dump Desecration Demon thinking they would be safe was great when Hall was the follow up.

Honestly, just not having the full play set of mutavaults was the only real downside to the deck I feel, and that was just because I was cheap and didn't have the rest yet.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
Just saw a BWUG planeswalkers deck on the SCG stream with:

3x Kiora
2x Ashiok
2x Jace, Architect of Thought
2x Vraska
1x Elspeth
2x Ajani Mentor of Heroes

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

ManiacMatt posted:

Went to my FLGS' Gameday today, came second, so close.

The finals was my mono-black aggro vs mono-black control. We both eventually stalled out and went 8 or 9 turns doing nothing, I ended with like 16 lands in play. Eventually he got a Pack Rat down and I had nothing left to remove it.

Aside from the games in the finals, Mogis' Marauder was a real winner in the deck. There was one player who got so pissed because of that card, that he bought a copy of it after the tournament to rip up as it just ruined his day.

Hall of Triumph was also pretty good, landing a Master of the Feast, and then having someone dump Desecration Demon thinking they would be safe was great when Hall was the follow up.

Honestly, just not having the full play set of mutavaults was the only real downside to the deck I feel, and that was just because I was cheap and didn't have the rest yet.

I'm glad someone else is running Hall of Triumph. It's been tearing it up with mono white for me lately, where I think it really shines in combination with Path of Bravery and Spear of Heliod.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Professional Storm Pilot, Elementary School Edition AJ Kerrigan has a pretty spicy meatball they are doing a deck tech of. I love the card Nivmagus Elemental so goddamn much.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Skillface posted:

Just saw a BWUG planeswalkers deck on the SCG stream with:

3x Kiora
2x Ashiok
2x Jace, Architect of Thought
2x Vraska
1x Elspeth
2x Ajani Mentor of Heroes

Superest Friends.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

AgentSythe posted:

Professional Storm Pilot, Elementary School Edition AJ Kerrigan has a pretty spicy meatball they are doing a deck tech of. I love the card Nivmagus Elemental so goddamn much.

Is it the one with the Cipher junk that it constantly exiles for counters? I think I saw something like that last week.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I'm glad someone else is running Hall of Triumph. It's been tearing it up with mono white for me lately, where I think it really shines in combination with Path of Bravery and Spear of Heliod.

I think Spear and Hall go really well together since you're likely running Brimaz and Precinct Captain in the same deck.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Hall showed up as a 2 of in Mono-Blue as well to keep Master of Waves tokens alive.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
I was looking at Eldrazi Conscription for an EDH deck, and it has the most ridiculous name 'Eldrazi-Zwangsverpflichtung'

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

ManiacMatt posted:

I think Spear and Hall go really well together since you're likely running Brimaz and Precinct Captain in the same deck.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Hall showed up as a 2 of in Mono-Blue as well to keep Master of Waves tokens alive.

I was running Brimaz, but it kind of has trouble with big fatties. I swapped them out in favor of Banisher Priests instead. Precinct Captain is a badass, though.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

homerlaw posted:

I was looking at Eldrazi Conscription for an EDH deck, and it has the most ridiculous name 'Eldrazi-Zwangsverpflichtung'

Eldrazi Compulsory Duty. Sure, works. I'm surprised it's not Eldrazi-Wandlung though (conversion, metamorphosis, also the word for Catholic transubstantiation I think) given it's not really a duty as such... then again, I probably wouldn't have called it Conscription in the first place.

It's also not the word for military conscription. That's Wehrpflicht. I don't know which would be better.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Is it the one with the Cipher junk that it constantly exiles for counters? I think I saw something like that last week.

Yeah, a Greg Hatch special

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I built that deck for fun since outside of the shocks, it costs like $10. I even substituted Akroan Skyguards for the Sage of Hours. More evasion, and the Time Walk effect never came up when I was playtesting it with proxies.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Playing in the Standard Daily, it's currently round 4. I'm 2-1, up a game in this round.....but gently caress I'm bored. I've faced four mono black decks in four rounds, after already playing against it nonstop for the past six months.

Rotation can't get here fast enough, I'm so sick of this meta (or lack thereof).

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I've been playing mono black nonstop for the past sixth months. It's pretty boring on this side too, but at least you can pick a splash of the week now.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

We'll see how the T8 shakes out, but the SCG Open looked like a lot more decks were floating around.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Whoa! Past in Flames is worth something now? I have a playset of foils, what happened?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I kind of want to do something based around High Priest of Penance + King Macar but Ravnica's going to rotate out soon anyways so eh.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

BizarroAzrael posted:

Whoa! Past in Flames is worth something now? I have a playset of foils, what happened?

It's part of Modern U/R Storm and is also good in ANT.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Also reprint Twiddle.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
King Macar + Pemmin's Aura Freed from the Real is a good way to feel amazing about life in Magic.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 25, 2014

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Veyrall posted:

King Macar + Pemmin's Aura is a good way to feel amazing about life in Magic.

I feel like there's a silly UB EDH deck that can abuse this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
Went to my first Game Day today and went 3-1 which was good enough to get me in the top 8. Walked away with 4 boosters, a foil/promo Dictate of Kruphix, a foil/promo Hall of Triumph, and a full art Squelching Leeches.

The white weenies deck worked pretty well. The only match I had problems with was a weird blue/black deck that milled the poo poo out of my library in order to pump his creatures up to like 20/20.

• Locked thread