Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

You should look into buying a steam key from another vendor than Steam.

edit: vvv the exchange rate from American dollars to something else might also sweeten the deal.

champagne posting fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

You should look into buying a steam key from another vendor than Steam.

This. I paid like $25 on GMG because they had the preorder price and it stacked with the coupons.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

flamingdawg posted:

I dunno, I can't get over the hurdle to spend full price on this having played 4 to death. Perhaps when it is cheap.

Hopefully it is better than Omerta.
It's a legitimately different and better game.

It plays more like a boardgame, I think, and the wealth stratification mechanic brings back one of the few interesting things from Tropico 2.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Make sure to not piss of the USSR, 5 tank units and 6 infantry units are invading me.
I guess I should have pulled down the Military Forts and replaced them with Army Bases, they seem to use the amount of space.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's really surprising to me how upset some of you guys are about there only being 2 islands.

As if the different maps had any impact on how you played tropico 4.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
It's definitely a different game. I played Tropico 4 as a relaxing way to build up a little utopia when I wanted to unwind.

Maybe I haven't figured it out but I was scrambling to win elections up until mid cold war and then I had a ton of popularity but like 150k in expenses so I had to scramble to make money any way possible. Things seem to have stabilized in the Modern era bu I wouldn't exactly call the game relaxing.

Twosmoke
Oct 11, 2010

bunnybunnybunny
loving it sofar, still on the first mission after playing the tutorials.
did anyone found out how you can change the variation of buildings? only works on gardens for me, I hoped for more varieties esp. for houses.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

a creepy colon posted:

It's really surprising to me how upset some of you guys are about there only being 2 islands.

As if the different maps had any impact on how you played tropico 4.

Also you get more than 2 islands eventually. You're talking about the campaign, right? I really like going back and forth between different islands, and as always the challenges they add to each mission are quite fun.

Definitely recommended!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah, this was not a quick cash in like 4 was to 3 (4 still being a drat good game), this is a big innovation. Much harder. Had a blast, though, lost track of time playing it.

It definitelgly isn't as handholdy as reviews said. A sandbox island feels like a campaign now, which I love.

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend
What do the points in the victory condition account for?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Playing with politics set to very hard is actually pretty challenging. I've lost a sandbox twice in a row now because I was unable to get my revolution off, I'm not sure what the key is yet but I noticed that killing off royalists with 1 standing towards you can help a lot.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I find the dictator customization options sufficient:

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Jack Trades posted:

How long is it until the campaign puts me somewhere other than those two islands? I'm getting sick of them.

I'm about 7 or 8 missions in and last mission I got two new islands to choose from.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Anybody have an idea about how to slow time down in multiplayer or put you and a friend in charge of the same town? Was playing last night but we kept having resets due to one of us losing.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

For people like me who are having the "Second Campaign Mission doesn't load" problem, this workaround fixed the problem for me:

A Tropico Dev posted:

Try laoding the map you have trouble with in sandbox mode (i guess it's bao-bao) and then load your savegame again. This is only a workaround, we are trying to fix this issue as soon as possible.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Worked for me too!

To fix the menus being extremely laggy, remove/rename the titles video in the game files.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Sky Shadowing posted:

It definitelgly isn't as handholdy as reviews said. A sandbox island feels like a campaign now, which I love.

Yeah, this is one of my favorite things. I got my money's worth out of Tropico 4, but it wasn't a game I played to death. I can see the increased difficulty and the eras giving Tropico 5 sandbox a lot more replayability for me.

Another gripe: As far as I can see, there's no way to exercise finer control over trade. I'd love to be able to prevent my docks from trading away excess raw goods (especially uranium/oil/natural gas/coal), but I think excess goods just get loaded on the docks and traded away automatically. Is this an option buried in a menu? Am I missing it in some obvious location? Or does it just not exist?

I can't remember how it worked in Tropico 4, but it's really something that would be helpful. I'm playing on a huge map but even then, I'm pretty sure I'll run out of uranium before I finish sandbox mode.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

This game is great but the lack of saving in co-op seems like a pretty silly thing to miss. Even locked on the fast game speed (which, while annoying, is still playable) youd need to marathon the gently caress out of games to finish them. At least sandbox mode is fun enough outside of the Colonial era to get me by until they (hopefully) patch it in.

Getting my rear end kicked by Russian tank squads at the beginning of the Cold War era because I basically told them to get hosed was more hilarious than it was depressing when I inevitably lost. :v:

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
So I don't really get what the rebels' deal is. Even with 90% approval and 50+ happiness in all categories, there are still a lot of rebels that perform attacks on a semi-regular basis. It's not really threatening, except in the cases where my troops are too slow to get to the building before the rebels blow it up, but I'm not sure what they're so upset about? Some of the rebels even have 90+ approval of me, you'd think that would make them less likely to actively try to kill me. Is it tied to their ideology or something rather than happiness?

Apologies if this is covered in the tutorial! :)

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Covski posted:

So I don't really get what the rebels' deal is. Even with 90% approval and 50+ happiness in all categories, there are still a lot of rebels that perform attacks on a semi-regular basis. It's not really threatening, except in the cases where my troops are too slow to get to the building before the rebels blow it up, but I'm not sure what they're so upset about? Some of the rebels even have 90+ approval of me, you'd think that would make them less likely to actively try to kill me. Is it tied to their ideology or something rather than happiness?

Apologies if this is covered in the tutorial! :)

If this is anything like Tropicos 3/4 - once a citizen is a rebel, they will remain a rebel until killed (or you issue the amnesty edict, assuming that exists here). High approval and happiness just slows down/stops the rate of citizens becoming rebels.

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

So I just got done a full sandbox game on the default settings.

Music doesn't change per era, none of the songs have lyrics. Music is nice for what it is but a big step down to the awesome Tropico 3/4 soundtracks.

You can get rebels from people being either homeless or unemployed. Having 90% approval and 60%+ happiness in all categories doesn't mean anything to the few individuals who somehow are without, so they become rebels. You can give amnesty but only if a "Rebel Leader" is among the rebels. I usually kill them first so it ends up making people who are rebels stay rebels with no way for me to bring them back into the citizen fold. :shrug:

Money is slow for first two eras but later eras it was Tropico-4-levels of money producing like mad. Factions are slightly more difficult to please but still completely manageable when you're rolling in money by then.

Battles are fun! They seem to be randomized in terms of how many aggressors you can expect. My first revolution had 5 infantry squads attack me, my next 2, then again 5. Rebels being able to spawn anywhere on the island means all the defences from foreign powers I setup near the palace were useless and lost a lot of my outlying buildings before my troops could arrive.

There is once again a hardcap on the population and it's a total of 2015. Doesn't matter if you get more immigrants from quests or anything to that effect but they will always get back down to 2015, which is lovely because at that population I had covered 2/5 the island with stuff and had tons of money to expand. I had 200 empty job positions and 13 unemployed with no possible way to get more. I guess playing on a huge map isn't the best until someone releases another uncapped population mod like in Tropico 4.

All my complaints aside I am having tons of fun with it and I'm excited to keep replaying on sandbox over and over with steadily harder settings and new setups/islands. Worth the $25 I spent. I'd want to see better music come in, keybindings to be able to camera pan with WASD instead of having to use an autohotkey workaround because that's stupid, and the option to ally with no one and fight both the Allies and Axis :getin:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I kind of wish they'd expanded the factions system to integrate rebels and uprisings - with people launching an uprising for a specific faction or goal, or forming rebel groups loyal to specific factions instead of generic 'Rebels'. Then tie it into the mission system by having the option to enact certain policies or perform certain tasks to placate the rebels, making them more likely to lay down arms when you issue an Amnesty.

This is mostly because I think it would be funny to have a band of Communist rebels and a band of Capitalist rebels out in the jungle squabbling with each other.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
What's the absolute cheapest way to get this game? Anyone have interest in getting a pack together?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I'm definitely holding out until a big sale, but I have a few questions.

How is the overall difficulty in sandbox mode compared to 3 and 4? How are traffic jams?

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm definitely holding out until a big sale, but I have a few questions.

How is the overall difficulty in sandbox mode compared to 3 and 4? How are traffic jams?

I had a maxed out population city going in sandbox.

I noticed no traffic issues whatsoever other than occasional slight backups. Nothing like the gridlock you could get in Tropico 4. I believe there was even an edict in Modern Times era to encourage commuting by carpooling or just making people walk more than drive.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Pez Ez Dispenser posted:

I noticed no traffic issues whatsoever other than occasional slight backups. Nothing like the gridlock you could get in Tropico 4. I believe there was even an edict in Modern Times era to encourage commuting by carpooling or just making people walk more than drive.

Yea, if you were used to planning around the gridlock in Tropico 3 and 4, you'll have no trouble here.

The population cap at 2015 is really silly.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That looks really cool but man would it have killed them to have 3-4 different models for the most common skyscrapers? Same with houses and apartments.
I'm sure someone will figure out how to mod out the population cap.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
How do you increase building managers' skills?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Gotta say, ship gridlocks are kinda entertaining. :allears:

Lawrence Edward
Mar 28, 2013
On default settings, what is the "ending" for the Sandbox mode? It's late 2014, I have a boatload of cash and a stable economy and political situation. I've pumped half a million into my swiss bank account and max-leveled my presidente and got one of my heirs up to 3 stars. When does the game end?

This max population thing blows, by the way.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Lawrence Edward posted:

On default settings, what is the "ending" for the Sandbox mode? It's late 2014, I have a boatload of cash and a stable economy and political situation. I've pumped half a million into my swiss bank account and max-leveled my presidente and got one of my heirs up to 3 stars. When does the game end?

This max population thing blows, by the way.

Never unless you set a win condition, I guess.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I've seen a screenshot that shows there is a time one, but it must be like 2020 or something.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

WTF I had an uprising at 65% popularity!

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

I like the dick mountain you got there... Upper part of picture, in the middle :dong:

What is the campaign about? Crazy missions, gather 10 billion bananas, defeat X troops? Or is it funny?

Dunno-Lars fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 24, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Baron Porkface posted:

WTF I had an uprising at 65% popularity!

People who are unemployed or homeless can become rebels even if every other part of their life is a train of coked up parties. If you're in the Cold War era, the superpower you're against really likes to do their best to agitate the rebels as well.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Alkydere posted:

People who are unemployed or homeless can become rebels even if every other part of their life is a train of coked up parties. If you're in the Cold War era, the superpower you're against really likes to do their best to agitate the rebels as well.

Yeah, I've even had people vote for me in the election and then immediately pick up their rifle and run off into the jungle in the name of housing. They also have a much higher chance of doing it if their political faction hates you, even if they personally have no problems whatsoever. In my current sandbox game I've kind of been antagonizing the Religious faction a whole bunch, and so I'm seeing a lot of their supporters rebelling, even people who have jobs, houses, and access to all of their needs and wants.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Mister Bates posted:

Yeah, I've even had people vote for me in the election and then immediately pick up their rifle and run off into the jungle in the name of housing. They also have a much higher chance of doing it if their political faction hates you, even if they personally have no problems whatsoever. In my current sandbox game I've kind of been antagonizing the Religious faction a whole bunch, and so I'm seeing a lot of their supporters rebelling, even people who have jobs, houses, and access to all of their needs and wants.

Yeah I've been in pretty much a non-stop civil war with the religious the entire game. Playing on hard politics can be pretty hairy, especially when you have to martial law your way out of a losing election.

Rebels are a pain as they can strike and destroy stuff, making them stronger, before your army gets there. Which I guess is pretty accurate as far as guerrilla war goes.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So I had to defend my island from a hostile invasion, of two infantry and two tanks. I had three infantry and four tanks as well as a line of five towers near the harbor that attracted all the invaders. Three of my tanks decided to sit around in a pile outside one of the army bases and didn't lift a finger to defend the island. I won anyway, but drat that was annoying.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

To be honest, so far I'm not impressed. The game seems like Tropico 4's poorer cousin. Some things are definitely downgraded since the previous version - it doesn't let you zoom as much as the previous installation, buildings of the same type look like mirror images of each other, music is boring and completely devoid of any vocal... The amount of buildings is roughly similar, but a lot of them is locked before reaching a certain era.

This wouldn't normally concern me that much, but the gameplay seems changed for worse, too. I am a horrible city planner and, during the course of the game, built things wherever they fitted, yet everything still worked well enough for me to rake obscene amounts of cash and never worry about elections. My people were definitely unhappy, because they lived in crappy tenements with one clinic for the entire island, no newspapers, two taverns located in randomly chosen places. Average happiness were usually about 40-50%. But my popular support was still high enough to win elections without vote fixing, never had any rebels. Several times a protest appeared - usually all it takes to get rid of it is doing a generic mission for the faction leader involved (like building one church). Once, workers in one of my factories went on strike - I sent in the troops and never heard about the strikers again.

The new features are too shallow to make any positive difference. There seems to be no point in having different eras, as advancing only changes models and unlocks another part of the gameplay that in Tropico 4 would be available from the start. Colonial Era is the worst of them - there is simply nothing to do there. You just set up the base of your economy and convert people from Royalist to Independence faction, hoping the game lets you do more interesting things relatively quick.

Even the family members are disappointing - they hardly do anything particularly memorable. They can be used in some random events or manage buildings for you. You can also make them run instead of you in elections, but there is no reason to ever do that - your El Presidente most likely is more skilled than other members of his clan and he never dies, so replacing him is pointless.

The end result looks like it needs additional several months of development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I setup an import only high-end economy. I have about 36 ships available to me, I have 25 assigned. This means every dock is generating a ship (18) plus the 25 I have assigned (43) and then tourist boats on top. The boat gridlock extends to the place where they clip in and the game has been reduced to a crawl on a beast of a machine. I beat Tropico 5 I think.

• Locked thread