Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Follow That Fish! posted:

The opinions about the driving model sound so conflicting to me. One person claims they went a bit too sim, someone thinks nothing has any weight nor grip. I can't fathom what it would be like if the driving feels like both of these. If it's a bit realistic and even done reasonably well, I'll be quite happy.

FWIW, I had nothing against GTA IV's driving. It's been years since I played it, but I remember the driving mostly just a bit slide-happy, which could be tamed. I have also encountered a plenty of arcade racers with way worse handling than any GTA. Also, I didn't find anything wrong in the way cars handled in Mafia 1 either. The driving mission was needlessly difficult though.

The worst driving model I personally remember was in Saints Row 2. That poo poo was just clunky beyond any belief.

My entire opinion is contained within this post. This is more or less exactly what I was going to write. I actually liked GTAIV's driving, and I even used a mouse+keyboard for a while...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Is the driving more like GTA IV or Saints Row 3? I hated the way cars handled in the Saints Row games.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Oh lol, sounds like it defaults to console post-effects and you have to manually change it to PC in the ini.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XacMxuAX9IQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=27

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Oh lol, sounds like it defaults to console post-effects and you have to manually change it to PC in the ini.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XacMxuAX9IQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=27

Pretty sure that's just a placebo.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/watch_dogs-hidden-deferredfxquality-option-improves-significantly-visuals/#more-65558

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Rookersh posted:

What does the hacking offer when it comes to combat.

Can't comment on the rest of your post, really, but the hacking is quite fun in combat. Hacking a dude's explosives is especially satisfying, they either toss the grenade or panic and blow up. The NPC dialog in general is fantastic, one guy went into 'training mode' when I activated his grenades. "Ok, don't panic, we're going to start the disarming proce-" *boom*

Very satisfying, especially when they toss it and it just bounces back off of something and explodes in their face. Watch Dogs is pretty mediocre in most areas, but the hacking has been remarkably well done, chase hacks are probably my favorite part of the game right now.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Biggest human being Ever posted:

That's a bummer, looks like I'll play this locked to 30fps, as I really can't stand tearing.

You probably shouldn't base your purchase decision on people playing a unpatched pre-release day copy.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 24, 2014

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Azurrat posted:

Can't comment on the rest of your post, really, but the hacking is quite fun in combat.
Why can't you comment on the rest? I'd actually like to hear about those too like what do you actually do during the missions, side-missions, is there a lot of variety in those or mainly fetch-quests? Does the city have varied ares or just suburbs/downtown?

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
How much dicking around can I do with the NPCs? Is it limited to spying on their background info/conversations and/or shoving a gun in their face and maybe pulling the trigger? Also, how interactive is the hacking overall? Is it always useful as a means of evading the authorities and can I use it to get creative in dicking around with the NPCs, or is it nothing but a handful of scripted events?

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Palpek posted:

Why can't you comment on the rest? I'd actually like to hear about those too like what do you actually do during the missions, side-missions, is there a lot of variety in those or mainly fetch-quests? Does the city have varied ares or just suburbs/downtown?

I just finished Act 1, so I don't feel like I'm far enough into the game to make an informed comment about those aspects. So far, the side missions come in four main varieties: Vigilate poo poo where you just baton a purse snatcher or whatever in the face, Gang Hideouts where you take out (kill or incap, depending) a specific target(s) in a hostile area, Fixer contracts which are basically time attack races, and Criminal Convoys where you basically gently caress up a motorcade. The convoys are the most entertaining for me so far, since there's about a billion different ways to approach them. I'm fond of leaving a dump truck blocking the road, causing a blackout, then sniping the target in the car while everybody is confused.

The areas range from downtown, suburbs, ghetto, and semi-rural. It's definitely not a big game, nowhere near the scale of GTA 5 but a bit bigger than GTA 4 if I had to guess. The main story missions have a fair bit of variety, but again I only just finished Act 1 so it could all go to poo poo in the next few missions.

Other side activities exist, too, but they're very minor things like "hack your way into an apartment's video feed, watch a scripted event". If there's one thing that this game has done remarkably well, it's making the NPCs feel alive. I find it a lot harder to just run people over and spray bullets into the crowd when I just heard a phone conversation between a husband and wife trying for a baby or whatever.

Frank Horrigan fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 24, 2014

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Alright so I've spent a good chunk of today just driving around on the PC version, with a 360 controller and the driving really isn't that bad. If you treat the it like GTAIV you'll be able to drive with no crashes easily. That being said I definitely agree with what Orv said. It feels like they were adding a more sim like driving system to the game then decided against it so we have this not quite arcade not quite sim thing.

For the most part it works fine but there are definitely moments that the driving feels very off. For the most part it's pretty fun but driving is definitely the weak spot.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Performance is total poo poo though. 40~ fps on a 750ti and an oc'd 3750k.

Random hitches, and it looks worse than AC3 and runs worse. Hopefully it'll be patched in, which is what I expect.

That being said. I expected asscreed with guns and cars and hacking, and that's more or less what I got. My purchase feels validated.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
It runs fine on high for me with a 2500k and a 660ti and looks miles and miles better than AC3.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
One of the pirate releases versions people have been using has a buttcoin miner hidden in it so I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of the issue for wildly different performance (that and you need the new nvidia drivers for it)

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

hopterque posted:

It runs fine on high for me with a 2500k and a 660ti and looks miles and miles better than AC3.

Most of the people complaining about performance issues are probably the geniuses who downloaded a pirated copy of the game that had a bitcoin mining trojan embedded in the crack :ssh:

But we totally all believe you just got your review copies in!

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Azurrat posted:

Other side activities exist, too, but they're very minor things like "hack your way into an apartment's video feed, watch a scripted event". If there's one thing that this game has done remarkably well, it's making the NPCs feel alive. I find it a lot harder to just run people over and spray bullets into the crowd when I just heard a phone conversation between a husband and wife trying for a baby or whatever.

I like the sound of this. Something I do want to see done more in sandbox games is humanization of NPCs. I'd be very curious to see how the average player would change their method of violence and destruction if you brought in the idea of a far more realistic and living world that would react to them gunning down innocent people.

w00tuberjedi
Jul 3, 2007

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...

The most uber of the Jedi

Philip J Fry posted:

Can confirm all of these. I hadn't really been looking for the rest, but I will now that I know what to look for.

That's cool all the little effects are in, but I have seen ~200 car wrecks and not once have I seen a bystander offer help. Has anyone else witnessed this? I can't imagine something like that would be tied to graphical settings.

Additionally, I haven't driven using the dash cam, so that might help in regards to driving control.

Broken Cog posted:

I definitely saw it happen on a stream earlier. That was after he had hacked a traffic light to cause an accident, though, so it might be linked to that.

Did the crash in the stream have more than 4-5 cars involved in a wreck? I have been hacking traffic lights left and right and I still cannot get more than that involved in a wreck.

peter gabriel posted:

This all sounds like amazing fun :)

The game is not bad by any means. There are definitely some fun aspects to it, but it is no where near as excellent as Ubisoft would like us to believe. It's a rent in my opinion.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

w00tuberjedi posted:

That's cool all the little effects are in, but I have seen ~200 car wrecks and not once have I seen a bystander offer help. Has anyone else witnessed this? I can't imagine something like that would be tied to graphical settings.

Additionally, I haven't driven using the dash cam, so that might help in regards to driving control.

I definitely saw it happen on a stream earlier. That was after he had hacked a traffic light to cause an accident, though, so it might be linked to that.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Azurrat posted:

I just finished Act 1, so I don't feel like I'm far enough into the game to make an informed comment about those aspects. So far, the side missions come in four main varieties: Vigilate poo poo where you just baton a purse snatcher or whatever in the face, Gang Hideouts where you take out (kill or incap, depending) a specific target(s) in a hostile area, Fixer contracts which are basically time attack races, and Criminal Convoys where you basically gently caress up a motorcade. The convoys are the most entertaining for me so far, since there's about a billion different ways to approach them. I'm fond of leaving a dump truck blocking the road, causing a blackout, then sniping the target in the car while everybody is confused.

The areas range from downtown, suburbs, ghetto, and semi-rural. It's definitely not a big game, nowhere near the scale of GTA 5 but a bit bigger than GTA 4 if I had to guess. The main story missions have a fair bit of variety, but again I only just finished Act 1 so it could all go to poo poo in the next few missions.

This all sounds like amazing fun :)

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
So this game is kind of like if you were batman, but instead of being rich and heroic you instead play some guy who hits people with a stick and causing nonstop traffic accidents?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

big duck equals goose posted:

So this game is kind of like if you were batman, but instead of being rich and heroic you instead play some guy who hits people with a stick and causing nonstop traffic accidents?

Basically yes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rookersh posted:

I don't really care about nextgenness, or story ( outside of making sure I don't know what happens ). As long as it wraps up properly and has some good moments, I'll probably enjoy it.

What I want to know is.

- Does the shooting/gameplay sequences feel fun. What does the hacking offer when it comes to combat.
- How is the mission variety when it comes to main story stuff. Are you finding yourself doing a wide variety of stuff, or is it mainly tailing/shooting.
- How varied is the side content. Are we talking SR style activities, Sleepy Dogs gang wars, or AssCreeds forts/towers/assassinations/leonardo missions? Or is it more GTAs "random ped quests".
- How big is the city, do the districts feel distinct?

The hacking could literally just be Sleepy Dogs p2, where you have to hack a camera before you can beat the people up, and it just shows them from above and I'd still not care. I'm looking for a good open world game, not a hyped up "next gen!" experience.
- No, the shooting feels terrible. Maybe not as bad as the driving but it still ain't anything special. Hacking in combat lets you explode environmental stuff around your enemies which either disables them temporarily or kills them. That's kind of fun to watch.

- I'd say the missions in the campaign have had some variety so far but the various types aren't all that interesting. Definitely less variety than GTA games or Sleeping Dogs or Saints Row. Driving criminals around, hacking into people's phones and computers, sneaking past large groups of enemies, doing these incredibly stupid puzzles to hack panels and such, etc.

- There seems to be a substantial amount of side stuff to do but I haven't gotten into any of it yet. But there's a progression menu on your smartphone that shows you all the main/side missions you can do and there's a bunch of various side missions.

- The map is a decent size. As said above, it's nowhere near as big as GTAV. But it can take you a while to get from point A to point B sometimes.

big duck equals goose posted:

Yeah but it's not nearly as fun as being an rear end in a top hat version of Batman.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 24, 2014

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Is there any vertical gameplay like helicopters or climbing? or is it just street level all the way?

w00tuberjedi
Jul 3, 2007

Hel posted:

Is there any vertical gameplay like helicopters or climbing? or is it just street level all the way?

More so than the driving, the lack of climbing/free-running is the biggest let down for me. There is some vertical gameplay, but it is nothing like free-running in any of the AC games.

To clarify, there are some side missions/activities that require you to make your way to the tops of buildings. Instead of being able to scale the buildings using footholds ect you have to find one of a few predetermined pathways up. It seems that free-running is limited to being able to quickly scale cover and fences.

Rookersh posted:

Yeah, just to point out, if you used :files: you have a Bitcoin miner eating 25% of your CPU speed. That's probably why so many of you are having performance issues.

Probably depends on the scene release. I have no performance issues and no Bitcoin miners, ymmv.

w00tuberjedi fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 24, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

Most of the people complaining about performance issues are probably the geniuses who downloaded a pirated copy of the game that had a bitcoin mining trojan embedded in the crack :ssh:

Yeah, just to point out, if you used :files: you have a Bitcoin miner eating 25% of your CPU speed. That's probably why so many of you are having performance issues.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

w00tuberjedi posted:

To clarify, there are some side missions/activities that require you to make your way to the tops of buildings. Instead of being able to scale the buildings using footholds ect you have to find one of a few predetermined pathways up. It seems that free-running is limited to being able to quickly scale cover and fences.
That's too bad, I feel like they missed the boat here as I always thought an Assassin's Creed game with an actual modern city to parkour around would be cool and they already have the engine/animations for it.

w00tuberjedi
Jul 3, 2007

Palpek posted:

That's too bad, I feel like they missed the boat here as I always thought an Assassin's Creed game with an actual modern city to parkour around would be cool and they already have the engine/animations for it.

My feelings exactly. Granted I didn't watch much footage before I played so I don't know if the free-running/climbing aspect was touted or not, but as soon as the first mission mentions "hold b to free run" I got excited. I then proceeded to spend the next hour or so trying to free run all over the place...I was disappointed.

Oxxidation posted:

It wasn't.

Sorry for expecting a Ubisoft game, that explicitly mentions free-running in the tutorial, to function like AC in any manner. I don't think I'm alone in this expectation.

w00tuberjedi fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 24, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

w00tuberjedi posted:

My feelings exactly. Granted I didn't watch much footage before I played so I don't know if the free-running/climbing aspect was touted or not

It wasn't.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Oxxidation posted:

It wasn't.
Yeah, I didn't even know it had that. All I knew to start was that it was a GTA game with hacking and Souls type always-on multiplayer. That last thing is still happening, right? That's what I really care about from this whole project.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I didn't even know it had that. All I knew to start was that it was a GTA game with hacking and Souls type always-on multiplayer. That last thing is still happening, right? That's what I really care about from this whole project.

Apparently yes, but the servers for it aren't online yet, as the game isn't technically out. The IGN stream almost got invaded by another reviewer, but got a connection error.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Broken Cog posted:

Apparently yes, but the servers for it aren't online yet, as the game isn't technically out. The IGN stream almost got invaded by another reviewer, but got a connection error.
Well, invading is one thing, but is there jolly cooperation as well?

Kristofenpheiffer
Sep 12, 2004
The Hemogoblin
Can confirm driving is not fun with keyboard and mouse. Apparently you can't brake and accelerate at the same time either, so no controlled slides allowed.

w00tuberjedi
Jul 3, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/here-s-nine-narrated-minutes-of-watch-dogs-multipl/2300-8782/

Here's a decent look at the multiplayer.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think there's MP freeroaming and team-based stuff, but I'm not sure if you can do missions in MP. All I know of the game is from watching streams, though.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

The driving is all over the map for me. Some cars are a blast to drive and anything that looks like a sports car is just terrible.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I don't understand the point of the invading thing. Somebody pops into your game and "hacks your data"...so what? What's the penalty? The reward? Do they get your money? Is it possible to just pop into someone's game and gun them down instead of trying to hack them?

It sounds cool, I just don't see the point and haven't heard anyone talk about it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

It wasn't.

I don't know, that trailer with the player escaping onto the train by climbing a whole bunch of roofs made me think there'd be a fair amount of vertical movement in the game.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Frog Assassin posted:

I don't understand the point of the invading thing. Somebody pops into your game and "hacks your data"...so what? What's the penalty? The reward? Do they get your money? Is it possible to just pop into someone's game and gun them down instead of trying to hack them?

It sounds cool, I just don't see the point and haven't heard anyone talk about it.
I think there's some sort of scoreboard. You can earn or lose points based on if you manage to get away with a successful hack, and you also get some sort of MP exp for unique skills. I also think the amount of points gained or lost is based on the difference in online rank between the characters.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Skyl3lazer posted:

Is this a real thing that happened? Is there a news story about this?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Dr. Stab posted:

Is this a real thing that happened? Is there a news story about this?

This is a real thing that happened and a goon in one of the irc channels I hang out in even got hit by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Hm, the competitive aspect of multiplayer looks fun but if the co-op is just limited to generic things and not main missions that would be annoying. But more in general, the thing that got me about Souls multiplayer is that it's deliberately random and mysterious, you never know which other players are in your game world. Does this have that?

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yeah, that's the other thing, I thought it was against the forum rules here to talk about "review" copies?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 24, 2014

• Locked thread