Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Hedrigall posted:

Area X is specifically in northern Florida.

Man even in fiction all kinds of messed up poo poo happens in Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Kraps posted:

Does The Magicians by Lev Grossman ever get good? I bought the audiobook thanks to the Harry Potter reminisce thread being all "it's like Harry Potter but for adults!" before a bunch of "uhhh it's not really like Harry Potter" post showed up, and I have to agree. There's no one likable and too freaking weird, and not in a good way.
It's totally comparable to Harry Potter if you wanted Harry Potter to be about entitled (I think they're also all) white kids with magic powers, who mostly just do a lot of blow and gently caress and then complain about how lame life is.

If you've ever watched Born Rich or The 1%, it's basically that, except all of those neurotic rich kids can fly and turn invisible and poo poo. And they have a not-Narnia, I really don't get why people keep comparing it to Narnia outside of the main conceit being that a not-Narnia exists, along with magic.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Sekret posted:

I would like to read about humans on an alien planet that have to establish settlements and deal with the native flora and fauna. Bonus points for abandoned ruins and/or alien technology. Can anyone recommend anything like that?

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri is an old as hell video game but it's straight up good science fiction and it's exactly, precisely what you want.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I'm not interested in MilSF or noirish urban fantasy, I deal with its presence in this thread by skimming those posts until I come across one on a topic that interests me, or making one myself, because this is the thread for general SFF discussion, not some specific interesting-to-me subclass of SFF discussion.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Peel posted:

I'm not interested in MilSF or noirish urban fantasy, I deal with its presence in this thread by skimming those posts until I come across one on a topic that interests me, or making one myself, because this is the thread for general SFF discussion, not some specific interesting-to-me subclass of SFF discussion.

Have you read The Left Hand of Darkness? I've only gotten about a third of the way through it so far, but it's an interesting mix of sci-fi/fantasy. Depending on how the book ends I might pick up the rest of Le Guin's novels (even though I have quite a few SF/F series to finish off).:argh:

Sekret
Dec 6, 2001
Curse you, Massive Genitals!
Thanks for all the recommendations. I think you guys are getting much closer to what I'm looking for than my facebook friends are.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sekret posted:

I would like to read about humans on an alien planet that have to establish settlements and deal with the native flora and fauna. Bonus points for abandoned ruins and/or alien technology. Can anyone recommend anything like that?

Coyote series by Allen Steele, The Disestablishment of Paradise by Phillip Mann.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Sekret posted:

Forty Thousand in Gehenna by CH Cherryh could fit in that description, without the bonus points. Plus it is part of the Alliance/Union series, one of the best world-building sagas imho.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

General Battuta posted:

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri is an old as hell video game but it's straight up good science fiction and it's exactly, precisely what you want.

It also had a tie-in novel trilogy, as I recall. I dimly remember reading the first one and it wasn't terrible. (Or was that the prologue that came with the game?)

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Can anyone recommend some good science fiction set within the solar system? Preferably more on the hard sci-fi end of the scale. I've read the Expanse series, and enjoyed it, for a recent reference point, and I also remember really liking Arthur C. Clarke, for a more classic one.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 24, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Srice posted:

Huh, I didn't even know it was going to have a third book, but I guess that was silly of me. It's fantasy, after all.

I liked where the first book ended so much that I haven't read The Magician King because of it. I just felt like adding anything more to the story would make it feel superfluous.

I thought it was fine and didn't cheapen the first book.

The ending was depressing, but it wasn't out of character for the universe.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Man even in fiction all kinds of messed up poo poo happens in Florida.

When you're a continent-sized phallus you're bound to get a little dirty :v:

coyo7e posted:

It's totally comparable to Harry Potter if you wanted Harry Potter to be about entitled (I think they're also all) white kids with magic powers, who mostly just do a lot of blow and gently caress and then complain about how lame life is.

If you've ever watched Born Rich or The 1%, it's basically that, except all of those neurotic rich kids can fly and turn invisible and poo poo. And they have a not-Narnia, I really don't get why people keep comparing it to Narnia outside of the main conceit being that a not-Narnia exists, along with magic.

Because not-Narnia is used specifically to convey the opposite message that CoN did, which is the lion's not coming to save you, you entitled gently caress, and he's in fact useless, so go figure it out for yourself.

Really it's an amalgam of all of the teen/children's fantasy that I presume Grossman finds morally objectionable and he's deliberately attacking the archetypes that were propagated by them.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Discount Philosopher and Cat Whisperer

Sekret posted:

I suggest you take a look at this series. Although these are considered Science Fiction Police Procedurals, they have some very creative aliens, their laws and their societies. They definitely deal with settlements, both human and alien. There are cases of abandoned ruins (Buried Deep in particular) and alien technology and the complexities of a intra-galactic legal system. I've read all of them and hope there will be more forthcoming.

http://www.retrievalartist.com/?page_id=8 or https://www.goodreads.com/series/42246-retrieval-artist or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristine_Kathryn_Rusch#Retrieval_Artist. It is helpful to read them in order because while they can stand alone for the most part, they do reference each other.

Retrieval Artist
Vol. 1: The Disappeared, 2002
Vol. 2: Extremes, 2003
Vol. 3: Consequences, 2004
Vol. 4: Buried Deep, 2005
Vol. 5: Paloma, 2006
Vol. 6: Recovery Man, 2007
Vol. 7: Duplicate Effort, 2009
Vol. 8: Anniversary Day, 2011
Vol. 9: Blowback, 2012

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

To follow on from the Lev Grossman talk I have to recommend checking out his brother, Austin Grossman's book Soon I Will Be Invincible. It's about the fallout from the disappearance of Superman-esque figure from the world and if you're at all interested in Superhero fiction I'd highly recommend it.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Lord Hydronium posted:

Can anyone recommend some good science fiction set within the solar system? Preferably more on the hard sci-fi end of the scale. I've read the Expanse series, and enjoyed it, for a recent reference point, and I also remember really liking Arthur C. Clarke, for a more classic one.
Have you read Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy? Those are really good (though I hated the extra book, The Martians). I'm still poking at his 2312 which is also in the solar system with some common elements but not actually the same fictional universe.

Ursus Veritas posted:

To follow on from the Lev Grossman talk I have to recommend checking out his brother, Austin Grossman's book Soon I Will Be Invincible. It's about the fallout from the disappearance of Superman-esque figure from the world and if you're at all interested in Superhero fiction I'd highly recommend it.
I didn't know those two were related! That is indeed a good book if you like superhero/villain stuff. It might seem a little tired and too self-aware at times.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Lord Hydronium posted:

Take a look at Steel Beach, by John Varley.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sekret posted:

Zelazny's Lord of Light is not like that, but you might like it anyway based on what you're looking for.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Amberskin posted:

Take a look at Steel Beach, by John Varley.

Is this where Futurama cribbed the famous heads in jars thing from?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Ursus Veritas posted:

Can recommend this one if you like superhero books.

I liked it, anyway.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Sekret posted:

Some of Sherri Tepper's earlier stuff, like "Northshore/Southshore" and the "True Game" series, fits and is definitely recommended.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

rchandra posted:

. It might seem a little tired and too self-aware at times.

Must be hereditary. (For real though thanks for the recommendation, I have a 13-hr flight coming up)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Ursus Veritas posted:

Sounds similar to the web serial Worm, which I loved.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

BadOptics posted:

Have you read The Left Hand of Darkness? I've only gotten about a third of the way through it so far, but it's an interesting mix of sci-fi/fantasy. Depending on how the book ends I might pick up the rest of Le Guin's novels (even though I have quite a few SF/F series to finish off).:argh:

I have, but I don't have much intelligent to say about it. I'm inclined to agree with the sentiment I've often seen that the play with gender ultimately failed in that the characters mostly just read as men, but it's entirely possible that's a consequence of my perspective. As a story and world-description exercise I found it effective, especially the trek across the ice.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

fritz posted:

Some of Sherri Tepper's earlier stuff, like "Northshore/Southshore" and the "True Game" series, fits and is definitely recommended.

Had the insanity set in by that point, though? Because the lady be really, really crazy.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Ursus Veritas posted:

This was a fun audiobook I picked up randomly. It's written from the perspective of the Mad Scientist villain and the Bionic Woman hero.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
The female cyborg bits weren't as good as the mad scientist parts. Good book overall, although it felt like it was 10 years behind where comics are at right now, so I always wince when it gets praise for being original, when it's really not.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Neurosis posted:

The female cyborg bits weren't as good as the mad scientist parts. Good book overall, although it felt like it was 10 years behind where comics are at right now, so I always wince when it gets praise for being original, when it's really not.

I spent a lot of time wondering if the creators of Megaman mined this book for ideas, or if it's just kind of similar by following the same zeitgeist or whatever. I enjoyed the book for the most part. It was badly edited though, full of the kind of tiny continuity errors I don't blame an author for missing, but I do blame a professional editor for not catching.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Just to give the weakest dissenting opinion in history, I read the book a couple of years back and I don't remember anything about it other than that I thought it was extremely mediocre. Maybe I'll give it another try.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

rchandra posted:

Have you read Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy? Those are really good (though I hated the extra book, The Martians).

Seconding this recommendation. If you want hard scifi set within the solar system, it doesn't get much better than this.

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

I was going through my amazon wish list last night and realized that The Severed Streets, sequel to Paul Cornell's London Falling, just got published. It's an incredibly dark supernatural police procedural; the first one was about catching a 400 year old witch that was stealing children and boiling them alive. I bought it and am now rushing through Authority so I can get started on it.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Authority was great and I'm a huge baby and I was reading late at night by myself and I felt super scared :ohdear:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

regularizer posted:

I was going through my amazon wish list last night and realized that The Severed Streets, sequel to Paul Cornell's London Falling, just got published. It's an incredibly dark supernatural police procedural; the first one was about catching a 400 year old witch that was stealing children and boiling them alive. I bought it and am now rushing through Authority so I can get started on it.

Oh crap, I need to get my hands on that, I loved London Falling (though I like to point out it was very English what with football fanaticism being a key plot device).

I just finished Dervish House by Ian McDonald. I really liked it, it dealt with the prospects of nanotechnology in an intelligent way and portrayed a plausible 2020s Istanbul in a Turkey that has just joined the EU. Okay, that last part is probably less plausible, the way things have been moving lately, but who knows. I always enjoy a fresh setting, since usually a story with themes such as these is set in, say, Tokyo or New York or Los Angeles instead of Istanbul.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

rchandra posted:

Have you read Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy? Those are really good (though I hated the extra book, The Martians). I'm still poking at his 2312 which is also in the solar system with some common elements but not actually the same fictional universe.
I read about half of Red Mars before getting sidetracked, but I did enjoy it, and it's a series I'd like to try again. How is 2312, for anyone who's read it?

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Lord Hydronium posted:

I read about half of Red Mars before getting sidetracked, but I did enjoy it, and it's a series I'd like to try again. How is 2312, for anyone who's read it?

I enjoyed it, personally, but more for the world-building than the characterization. I didn't much care for the protagonist, but the potential future was amazing.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Lord Hydronium posted:

I read about half of Red Mars before getting sidetracked, but I did enjoy it, and it's a series I'd like to try again.

Red Mars I liked, but I got about halfway through Green Mars and kept saying, "Get on with it!".

I may go back to it later.

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

fookolt posted:

Authority was great and I'm a huge baby and I was reading late at night by myself and I felt super scared :ohdear:

It was real good. I read the last ~20% in one sitting starting a bit before he goes to confront Whitby and finds that the door to the science department has been replaced by the kind of wall from the Tower, and VanderMeer is able to perfectly get across the sheer terror and franticness of Control as he tries to get away. I also like how the weirdness of the pile of notebooks in the lighthouse is built on in this book super subtly, when Control reads a little note from the previous director that says the number of notebooks far exceeds what could reasonably have been produced by the members of the 30-some-odd expeditions. Everyone who gave this series a neutral or bad review is objectively wrong and I can't wait for the next one.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

regularizer posted:

Everyone who gave this series a neutral or bad review is objectively wrong and I can't wait for the next one.

I feel like the problem most people have is that they equate weird fiction with horror and while there is a great deal of overlap, especially in the last decade or so, they are still two distinct genres. Vandermeer is writing a weird fiction trilogy, not a horror trilogy; there are certainly parts that are horrifying, because what we find find weird we may also find scary, but his goal is to be weird and I think he's knocking it out of the park.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Ornamented Death posted:

I feel like the problem most people have is that they equate weird fiction with horror and while there is a great deal of overlap, especially in the last decade or so, they are still two distinct genres. Vandermeer is writing a weird fiction trilogy, not a horror trilogy; there are certainly parts that are horrifying, because what we find find weird we may also find scary, but his goal is to be weird and I think he's knocking it out of the park.

I know this is just adolescent dreaming, but it would be amazing to see a collaboration with Mieville. VanderMeer's atmosphere combined with Mieville's worldbuilding...

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...
Just a reminder for PC Hodgell fans old and new--her short story is up on the Baen website Although it is a stand-alone story, you will probably enjoy it most if you have gotten to the third book in the Kencyrath series, Seeker's Mask.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Hey everyone. I had read when I was younger but stopped for a time until Game of Thrones on HBO made me read the books. It really brought back my love of reading and after I finished Dance I picked up World War Z yesterday and have started reading that.

Verdict's out but it's a short book so I want to have something lined up for when I am finished reading it. Although Game of Thrones gets some hate from people I personally love it and, although I'm not looking for a similar story, I am looking for something with similar themes. What I mean is a darker fantasy novel that's also grounded in reality somewhat. I haven't read much but GoT and just now World War Z since I got back into reading but hopefully this could give a rough outline of what I'm looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Darth Walrus posted:

Had the insanity set in by that point, though? Because the lady be really, really crazy.

No, it's early stuff and sane.