Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/4482364495.html

I don't know much about cars but that is deeply appealing.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

I'm getting some pics sent over but a friend of a friend wants to sell me a rebuilt '88 MR2:

quote:

I bought this 1988 White Toyota MR2 a few years ago from REDACTED. The car had a blown motor (NA) and was sitting in his garage. It had 102k miles on it and had a blue interior. I also bought a 1989 MR2 SC that had front damage from Copart and I had the mechanic swap the Supercharge motor from the red one to the white one along with the black interior, rear spoiler (SC one has red led brake light), and rear engine lid (SC one has an opening for the intercooler). Since the Supercharge one has a different gauge cluster, I used the one from the red one as well so it has higher mileage shown. The SC engine has been fully rebuild by Su at Aggressive Performance (a well know MR2 mechanic) with new Pistons, Cams, Valves, etc. The new Pistons are slightly bigger than the stock one. It has the following upgrades:

> KONI Yellow Front and Rear Struts
> Suspension Technique Front and Rear Sport Springs
> Suspension Technique Front and Rear Sway Bars
> New Front Brakes with Porterfield R4 Pads
> Goodrich Stainless Brake Lines
> Rota Grid White 15x7 Wheels
> Toyo R888 Front and Rear Tires
> Upgrade Window Gears
> NST 180mm Pully Kit (from 8psi to 13.5psi)
> Red Corbeau A4 Seats with Mounting Brackets
> Carbon Fiber Center Console
> JDM 2DIN CD/MD Head Unit
> H4 HID Conversion

I've never bought an older car (or owned two cars for that matter) so I need internet advice: does 9k for this sound fair?

EDIT: the HIDs bum me out

thechalkoutline fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 23, 2014

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

thechalkoutline posted:

I'm getting some pics sent over but a friend of a friend wants to sell me a rebuilt '88 MR2:

I've never bought an older car (or owned two cars for that matter) so I need internet advice: does 9k for this sound fair?

EDIT: the HIDs bum me out

9k? 2/3 of that at BEST in perfect condition. Seems way overpriced.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

thechalkoutline posted:

does 9k for this sound fair?

If you were selling it, $9k would be an awesome price! As a buyer no, no no no.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Ah alright, thanks for saving me the time guys. I've just wanted an 80s MR2 since I was a kid and got excited.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Here are some pics :(

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'd probably go $5-5.5k on it just because it looks to be in great shape and they're fun cars from all accounts (I'd never fit in one), but it's still an 80s car even if it's a cool 80s car

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

PCOS Bill posted:

I'd probably go $5-5.5k on it just because it looks to be in great shape and they're fun cars from all accounts (I'd never fit in one), but it's still an 80s car even if it's a cool 80s car

Yea, $5k max. It looks to be in good shape, but the motor is stock and prolly getting a little worn out.

Hell, if you want a nice mr2, this just popped up on the mr2.com forums

FS/FT 1985 hardtop mk1.5 (Gen4 3sgte) with lots of tasteful mods- $7500

'85 stripper model with a gen 4 3sgte. I want it.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Dr.Caligari posted:

That is awesome. Those kind of Frankenstein cars blow my mind. This one for example, is it just a Cadillac shell and everything else from a Blazer? The steering and suspension has to feel ridiculous, right?

Lifted monsters always feel ridiculous.
I very much want something like this and $7k seems very reasonable if the bits n' pieces like A/C work.
I wouldn't have anywhere to put it, except maybe my neighbors lawn.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4484627662.html

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
I'm considering trading my car, a 97 acura rl, for a 90 jaguar xjs convertible with the 5.3 liter v12. I am leery of paying cash on top of my car. Even though I would only need the jag to run until September, I have no reason to expect less than 1000s in repairs and inconvenient breakdowns before then. Any opinions?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4479838446.html

I'd post a pic but I'm on my phone.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Vim Fuego posted:

I'm considering trading my car, a 97 acura rl, for a 90 jaguar xjs convertible with the 5.3 liter v12. I am leery of paying cash on top of my car. Even though I would only need the jag to run until September, I have no reason to expect less than 1000s in repairs and inconvenient breakdowns before then. Any opinions?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4479838446.html

I'd post a pic but I'm on my phone.

I'd rather pay blue book or more for an Acura than get a free Jaguar.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

PCOS Bill posted:

I'd rather pay blue book or more for an Acura than get a free Jaguar.

I know. I looked it up- the 5.3 liter v12s are prone to dumping fuel into the exhaust and blowing up. I'm just so, so bored with my car.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
There's always Italian if Japanese cars are too boring and predictable. Have you thought of looking at Maserati Biturbos?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Crossposted because although it was relevant to the discussion, it's certainly not terrible car stuff:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4473891597.html

I've called the guy. He's currently driving the Crown Vic because his 99 Mustang crapped out. He says he'll call me when the Mustang is running again. Hopefully spending a week as this guy's daily driver would help shake out any faults before they might land in my lap.

As you might guess with that mileage, it belonged to an old guy who died; this guy took it from the widow to sell for her, so I guess it's unclear if the title was transferred or if there will be fuckery. Apparently the old guy was a smoker, seller claims it doesn't smell bad, that remains to be seen.

I had one of these big fuckers (well, a '90) as my first car in high school and that thing was pretty awesome. Took a lot of abuse and could haul a whole drum set and a big bass amp for pep band while still carrying 5 people. I used to shut the door by driving into a garbage can in the parking lot (I was 16, that's why). Can these things take a turbo? :getin:

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
To bad you are all the way across the country. I have a 1989 LTD Vic that I will be selling soon. I had the ENTIRE brake system re-done on it, and had the heater core done in it. The AC blows ice loving cold too.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Vim Fuego posted:

I know. I looked it up- the 5.3 liter v12s are prone to dumping fuel into the exhaust and blowing up. I'm just so, so bored with my car.

I am not sure if you are trolling, but the Jags of that era, especially the v12 are known to be _literally_ the least reliable and most difficult to work on cars. Possibly ever. Seriously, the only thing more costly to own might be an '80s italian super-exotic.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Tai-Pan posted:

I am not sure if you are trolling, but the Jags of that era, especially the v12 are known to be _literally_ the least reliable and most difficult to work on cars. Possibly ever. Seriously, the only thing more costly to own might be an '80s italian super-exotic.

I'm planning on ordering a 2015 challenger in june, which would then ostensibly arrive in September. So if I did swap my car for something different it would only need to work for 4 months and then I could junk it. That's why it even colorably makes any sort of sense to get something as horrible as the xjs. In any case, I doubt the jag guy will go for it. I may post my car for trade and see what offers I get.

Or screw the challenger, get this de tomaso pantera: http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/4483990416.html

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Possible actual gold?

http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/4487819787.html

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Dammit I love those cars. The shape is so loving gangster.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

angryhampster posted:

Dammit I love those cars. The shape is so loving gangster.

Me too. Last time I drove one I remember the handling being terrible, but I might go take a look at this.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I have never even seen one of those before, ever. Infinitis are very few and far between around here but it's still surprising.

It does look baller as gently caress though.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
We got both kinds of transmission here, manual and automatic.
________________________/

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

HotCanadianChick posted:

We got both kinds of transmission here, manual and automatic.
________________________/

we have two cars with both? you have to shift it manually? so confusing!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I was all set to go look at that 86 Crown Victoria, then I saw this by the side of the road:

A 1985 Ford F-150.

It seems pretty clean:

The only rust I could find:

Not exactly sure what's up with the spring here:

He's asking $2500. It has 160k miles, 6 cylinder 4.9l engine.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Looks clean. Seems like for the price you should be able to find one with a V8, though?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Raluek posted:

Looks clean. Seems like for the price you should be able to find one with a V8, though?

That would be a downgrade for most purposes.

The 300-6 is probably the best regular production motor Ford has ever made.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Mr-Spain posted:

we have two cars with both? you have to shift it manually? so confusing!

I am guessing it has a manumatic like most infinitis after the "I" line died.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Motronic posted:

That would be a downgrade for most purposes.

The 300-6 is probably the best regular production motor Ford has ever made.

That's a pretty bold claim. They're reliable, sure, but best production motor?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Raluek posted:

That's a pretty bold claim. They're reliable, sure, but best production motor?

That's a pretty empty statement. That's a statement, sure, but do you have a specific motor you would like to talk about?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Motronic posted:

That's a pretty empty statement. That's a statement, sure, but do you have a specific motor you would like to talk about?

FE? Windsor? Both great motors, reliable, good torque, good power, sound good, etc etc. Why is the 300 better?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Raluek posted:

FE? Windsor? Both great motors, reliable, good torque, good power, sound good, etc etc. Why is the 300 better?

Well straight sixes do kick all sorts of rear end.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Raluek posted:

To begin with, the 300 was good enough to run from the mid 60s to the mid 90s. It is a true "commercial motor" that is used in everything from 1/2 ton pickup trucks to dump trucks, generators, baggage tow tractors, and UPS trucks. Many of them still in service today.

They have more torque at the low end than just about any of the V8's of the time, making them real work motors for the poo poo they were put in.

History has shown that they are loving bulletproof, right on up there with the AMC straight 6. And this is what it comes down to: capable and reliable. Well ahead of their time.

Comparing them to the rotating door of asthmatic underpowered V8s of the time is just further proof of them being the steady workhorse of their three decade run.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Motronic posted:

To begin with, the 300 was good enough to run from the mid 60s to the mid 90s. It is a true "commercial motor" that is used in everything from 1/2 ton pickup trucks to dump trucks, generators, baggage tow tractors, and UPS trucks. Many of them still in service today.

They have more torque at the low end than just about any of the V8's of the time, making them real work motors for the poo poo they were put in.

History has shown that they are loving bulletproof, right on up there with the AMC straight 6. And this is what it comes down to: capable and reliable. Well ahead of their time.

Comparing them to the rotating door of asthmatic underpowered V8s of the time is just further proof of them being the steady workhorse of their three decade run.

The Ford 300 I6 powered these motherfuckers right here. 6,250 Lbs of solid steel whoop rear end.

http://www.globalgse.com/product.php?used-gse=11

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
All that, and they're naturally balanced!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

There's some serious rose-tinting on these memories of the 300.

It's reliable, absolutely, but it never made more than 170hp from the factory, with less than 300ft-lbs. Most of them were rated at significantly less than that.

It's a great engine, but just about any V8 Ford put in a truck after 1967 made considerably more power and torque.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

MrYenko posted:

It's a great engine, but just about any V8 Ford put in a truck after 1967 made considerably more power and torque.

First of all, I said low end torque. Second of all LOL at "considerably". Do you seriously not remember post emissions V8s of the 70s and 80s? They're almost all a travesty, Ford or otherwise.

For example: the 302 Windsor was a blazing 200 HP (if it held together at 4600 RPMS) and didn't make 300 ft-lbs of torque until 2600. And that was in 1967. It dropped to as low at 122 HP in the mid 70s once they cut off it's clean air supply and any chance at free flowing exhaust.

Numbers barely recovered (across the board) on V8s until fuel injection.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm going to check it out today. Still wondering about the bottom part of this spring:

Pham Nuwen posted:

Not exactly sure what's up with the spring here:

see also:

It's like that on both sides, and I don't know if that's normal or if it's missing a binding around those or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm going to check it out today. Still wondering about the bottom part of this spring:

see also:

It's like that on both sides, and I don't know if that's normal or if it's missing a binding around those or something.

that's normal.