Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CannonFodder posted:

To everyone trying to merge onto the highway: I am not obligated to make room for you. I may move over if there is room, but I can see what's on my left and you can't.

What, your pedals stop working?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, if you're in the far right-hand lane, letting people in is something you just have to do. You can't simultaneously complain about people not merging at freeway speed and then not give them the space to merge.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Letting people merge is good Car God karma hth.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Crotch Fruit posted:

If I want to, I can be a real rear end in a top hat on the road, but a lot of times I try to do whatever I can to not hold up traffic. To me a good driver actually uses the right lane. The lanes are defined as the lane you're supposed to loving be in and the passing lane. It's not "the slow lane" and "the fast lane" bullshit, just because your going 55mph in the left lane that does not mean you are going fast. Especially in a cit, I think it's pretty dumb to try to drive much faster, in part because no matter how fast you think you drive some rear end in a top hat in a BMW will come up behind you driving faster at which you point you race that mother fucker to prove who really is the king of the road. My commute takes almost exactly the same amount of time at 60mph as it does at 75mph, but I hold up the road less if I drive 65 to 70mph. Speeding on surface roads with traffic lights just seems loving retarded to me, I love pulling up to a red light wih a :rice: car beside me, the light turns green and they fly down the road at god only knows what speed only to sit and wait beside me at the next red light. Yeah, you really are a fast driver.

1) On a road with more than 2 lanes each direction, I don't think it makes sense to shove everyone into the right-most lane where they obstruct people entering/exiting the road. Just make sure that, if possible with traffic conditions, you drive faster than the person to the right of you. If you intend to go fast and don't need to exit for a while, sure hang out in the left lane unless traffic starts piling up behind you. Around here, the freeways are often 4 lanes. It works pretty well with right-most for entering/exiting, second from right is where trucks and slow vehicles go, third from right is a chill place for cool people who want to go around the speed limit, and the left-most lane is for going fast.

2) Around here, at least, the traffic lights often won't change until someone is sitting there waiting. So if there's no other traffic around, you probably will get to your destination faster if you race up to the next light. Somebody has to get up there to trigger the light or it won't ever change.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Also, sometimes I just like to wring out my car and hear the pleasant noises. Is pleases my stupid lizard brain to make it go "vroom-vroom" :q:

Yeah I have to endure the guy in his very sensible champagne Toyota Camry slooowly easing up next to me at the next light with a smug poo poo eating grin on his face, but I don't care because I've got a huge grin on my face and I'm about to absolutely destroy the turn just up ahead.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

I've seen something similar happen at a track day. It's really impressive how much getting one side off the pavement really fucks up some people. When he's going from left ditch to right ditch, why doesn't he brake for all it's worth?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Beach Bum posted:

Also, sometimes I just like to wring out my car and hear the pleasant noises. Is pleases my stupid lizard brain to make it go "vroom-vroom" :q:

Yeah I have to endure the guy in his very sensible champagne Toyota Camry slooowly easing up next to me at the next light with a smug poo poo eating grin on his face, but I don't care because I've got a huge grin on my face and I'm about to absolutely destroy the turn just up ahead.

I've been driving a 99 Taurus lately and although let's face it, it's not a powerful car or anything, and it has a loving automatic transmission, but it doesn't belong to me so I enjoy occasionally loving flooring it. Kickdown is almost as fun as a manual. "Wait, what? OK poo poo WE'RE DOING THIS LET'S goooOOOOOOOOOOO!"

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

3. THREE. loving times in the past 3 days, I've been going down a residential road, only to find cars parked on both sides.. with one of the parked cars with the door wide open and the owner staring at their cell phone, talking to people, digging in their rear end for brown gold, etc.

One of them looked right at me as I pulled up. Kept digging in his car. Beeped. Got a nasty look, he leaned back into the car. Beeped again, nothing. HOOOOOOOOOOOONK. Got a nasty look and a loud WHAT THE gently caress out of him. Response from me of "YOU'RE BLOCKING THE loving ROAD". "oh......" *looks around, gets in car and closes door*

The other two got the hint after the first beep. Both still fired dirty looks at me.

Our residential roads tend to be wide, but if you have cars parked on both sides, only one car can go between them. Someone having a door open basically shuts the road down.

Pham Nuwen posted:

2) Around here, at least, the traffic lights often won't change until someone is sitting there waiting. So if there's no other traffic around, you probably will get to your destination faster if you race up to the next light. Somebody has to get up there to trigger the light or it won't ever change.

That generally only applies really late at night. And the timers are super short if you're on the secondary road at those hours (enough to get 2, maybe 3 cars through).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CannonFodder posted:

To everyone trying to merge onto the highway: I am not obligated to make room for you. I may move over if there is room, but I can see what's on my left and you can't.

Geirskogul posted:

Yeah, if you're in the far right-hand lane, letting people in is something you just have to do. You can't simultaneously complain about people not merging at freeway speed and then not give them the space to merge.
The driver already on the road has right of way, and if they're boxed in by traffic on their outside that prevents them moving out to make room (which they're not obligated to do anyway, though I generally try to out of politeness), they should not have to brake to make a gap. The driver joining the traffic stream is responsible for making sure they are properly observing the traffic they're merging into, and choosing their speed and position to do so smoothly. Getting to the end of the sliproad and going "LET ME IIIIIN, I'VE GOT NOWHERE TO GO!" is generally a sign of poor observation/planning/anticipation.

Of course, some roads are a crap design, with you led in at a sharp angle from behind a fence or hedge so you can't see the traffic until you're already committed, but in those cases you have to do your best to get your approach speed right, and if nothing else, come in a little hot because you can probably scrub off speed a lot easier than you can increase it were you to be going too slow to merge properly.

And then you have some really lovely exits from things like petrol stations on the A1, with a few hundred yards being all you get as lead-in. Certainly teaches you a lesson in getting the best 1/4 mile you can out of whatever you're driving.

Either way you cut it, no, the driver already on the main road is not obligated to move, though this isn't the same thing as them having the right to stubbornly sit there and try to trigger an unnecessarily dangerous situation.

Beach Bum posted:

Depends on how much of a oval office you were being either tailgating him or making a dodgy overtake. If not, it's fine, that's not what people are talking about.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

What, your pedals stop working?
The go fast pedal doesn't work very well with 70 feet of truck.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I once tried merging onto the highway but got forced onto the shoulder by a red truck with a huge NRA sticker on the tailgate.

gently caress that guy.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Chinatown posted:

Letting people merge is good Car God karma hth.

There was a guy in one of my classes at school that bragged about not letting people merge one day, because of reasons. I guess he thought everybody would take his side on this or something? Anyway that didn't happen and he ended up with the entire class plus the teacher dog-piling him and telling him what a loving retarded rear end in a top hat he was for the last 2 weeks of the class. He didn't get the hint and ended up being in an accident when somebody in a bigger truck merged into him because he refused to get out of their way. Sweet, sweet karma.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The open road rule is if you see a car on the onramp, doesn't matter if it's a semi or a passenger car, you get in the left lane if there's room. It's basic common courtesy.

Plus it means you don't have to mess with your cruise control. :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

The driver already on the road has right of way

Unless specifically indicated otherwise (eg. a yield line or sign), the on-ramp is part of the motorway. This makes it a merge, and zipper merging is the most efficient way to handle traffic coming onto the motorway. The road markings also signal this, with no lines between the lane and the on-ramp. I know there are a lot of different interpretations on this, but this is what I was told by my driving instructor, and confirmed by the police officer overseeing my practical test.

Most of the time, the zipper merge works perfectly well, until you get a dumbass who is either completely unable to match speed, or dead set on racing everybody on the road.

If there are dashed lines between the two lanes at the merge point, obviously the merging traffic has to yield.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

xzzy posted:

The open road rule is if you see a car on the onramp, doesn't matter if it's a semi or a passenger car, you get in the left lane if there's room. It's basic common courtesy.
That's not in dispute. If there's not enough room, tough poo poo, merger.

KozmoNaut posted:

Unless specifically indicated otherwise (eg. a yield line or sign), the on-ramp is part of the motorway.
In the UK, the motorway traffic has priority, and while I can't say if there are some strange rules in a given state, it is also the case in the US. "[vehicles coming down the ramp to join] must yield to traffic already moving on the roadway" or similar.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Traffic merging onto the freeway lacks the right of way, but people on the highway should be letting gaps open up so people can merge. If you can leave a gap for someone to merge in and don't, you may be legally right, but you're an rear end in a top hat. It's not that hard to let a gap form even in stop and go traffic.

That said, I'm the person you share the road with if you rocket down a closed lane at 50mph while everyone else is stopped, then try and merge in at the last second.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Here, it's specified that cars merging from the on-ramp must adjust their speed to match the traffic already on the motorway, but traffic on the motorway must also adjust their speed to let in cars from the on-ramp, if necessary.

Without studying the traffic laws of the UK and US in detail, I'm fairly sure that's the general rule with you guys, too.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

InitialDave posted:

If you don't slow down, that person has to come to a complete stop on the on-ramp. Trying to get up to highway speed from a stop is a lot loving harder than you caressing your brakes for a few seconds, and then getting back up to speed when he gets in front of you. Not to mention the fact that if he's completely stopped, it's a lot less likely that the people behind you are going to slow down enough to let him get up to speed enough to merge. You're basically saying that the few seconds you save by not braking are worth the probable minutes that dude will have to wait. It's you, you are the terrible person we share a road with.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Either there's room for the people in the oncoming lane to speed up and find a spot or there isn't room for you to slow down in the first place.

There's two conditions here. One is where there's light to moderate traffic and the guy already on the highway, in the right lane, is being a dick by paralleling oncoming traffic when he could switch lanes or accelerate out of the way. Two is where the highway is already operating at capacity and more traffic wants to come on. The only way more traffic is fitting on that highway is if everyone speeds up and suggesting that people should slow down is a disastrously wrong approach that will end up with everyone stopped, and a much greater chance of accidents.

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 24, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Does your loving brake work? You don't have to slow down a lot, just enough to give enough gap in front of you (that you should already have) that a car can fit in. You're that guy, aren't you?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Either there's room for the people in the oncoming lane to speed up and find a spot or there isn't room for you to slow down in the first place.

There's two conditions here. One is where there's light to moderate traffic and the guy already on the highway, in the right lane, is being a dick by paralleling oncoming traffic when he could switch lanes or accelerate out of the way. Two is where the highway is already operating at capacity and more traffic wants to come on. The only way more traffic is fitting on that highway is if everyone speeds up and suggesting that people should slow down is a disastrously wrong approach that will end up with everyone stopped, and a much greater chance of accidents.
This. If there's no space, there's no bloody space. I can almost guarantee you that I will have enough of a gap in front of me for someone to merge into, but I definitely can't say that about whoever's behind me - meaning I don't necessarily have enough of a gap behind me to slow down into.

It's a choice between loving up the traffic flow already on the motorway, or not helping someone out of their own cockup, you have to choose the latter. In an ideal world, I'll have enough room to do something to get out their way, but if I don't then it remains, as I said, tough.

Also, my general experience of backing off to try and let someone merge in front of me from a sliproad is that they magically back off and match your speed, putting you in exactly the same scenario, only with an Eddie Stobart heading up your jacksie.

You're only a dick if you do have somewhere to go, and choose not to. Sometimes you don't.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

some texas redneck posted:

3. THREE. loving times in the past 3 days, I've been going down a residential road, only to find cars parked on both sides.. with one of the parked cars with the door wide open and the owner staring at their cell phone, talking to people, digging in their rear end for brown gold, etc.

One of them looked right at me as I pulled up. Kept digging in his car. Beeped. Got a nasty look, he leaned back into the car. Beeped again, nothing. HOOOOOOOOOOOONK. Got a nasty look and a loud WHAT THE gently caress out of him. Response from me of "YOU'RE BLOCKING THE loving ROAD". "oh......" *looks around, gets in car and closes door*

The other two got the hint after the first beep. Both still fired dirty looks at me.

I almost got in a fight with a guy in a busy highway food stop parking lot on a roadtrip, he pulled into one of the two empty spots next to eachother in the otherwise completely full lot.

He got out, I waited slightly turned into the spot for his girlfriend to get out of the car, but she just flung the door all the way open and started messing around on her phone, after 20 seconds I beeped the horn at her since I assumed she just didnt realize. That put the guy into a seething rage and he got in my face yelling that 'no one loving honks at his girlfriend'.

Best part was after she dragged him away he accidentally held the door to Subway open for me, the look on his face was classic when he realized.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

SocketSeven posted:

Traffic merging onto the freeway lacks the right of way, but people on the highway should be letting gaps open up so people can merge. If you can leave a gap for someone to merge in and don't, you may be legally right, but you're an rear end in a top hat. It's not that hard to let a gap form even in stop and go traffic.

That said, I'm the person you share the road with if you rocket down a closed lane at 50mph while everyone else is stopped, then try and merge in at the last second.

That's the legal, proper way to merge and all of the early mergers are self-righteous assholes. You back up the lines and slow things down.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

nsaP posted:

That's the legal, proper way to merge and all of the early mergers are self-righteous assholes. You back up the lines and slow things down.

You are the bicyclists of the automotive world. I hope you know that. That is why nobody lets you in.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SocketSeven posted:

You are the bicyclists of the automotive world. I hope you know that. That is why nobody lets you in.

Not really, merging as late as possible has been proven to maximize the amount of cars that can get through.

I agree it's frustrating, it seems like the late mergers are cutting in line, but it really is the most efficient.

Now the assholes that switch from the surviving lane to the merge lane to get a few cars ahead, gently caress those people.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

xzzy posted:

Not really, merging as late as possible has been proven to maximize the amount of cars that can get through.

The only people who say this are people who do it. :colbert:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You are getting upset at people doing the correct thing because of your own ignorance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_merge

Look it even mentions you:

quote:

Governments hold campaigns to promote the late merge method because irritation, aggression and feelings of insecurity easily occur while "zipping". Often drivers who change lanes too early don't like to see other drivers continue until the end of the drop-away lane, even though this late merging is encouraged by the authorities. In Belgium, a driver must actually use the late merge by law (a driver can be penalised if he does not). In Austria and Germany only where a traffic sign so indicates.

You and the onramp blocker are the people we share a road with.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Pickup drivers are the worst. I've had three bad experiences with them in the last week.

First was easily the worst. I'm following another car doing 65 in a rural 55 area.

The hill is a no passing zone, for good reason. After a short straight to begin the downhill, the road takes an increasingly tight left bend with a roadcut blocking view of oncoming traffic beyond about 150 yards. It straightens out again before making a wide right (but also blind) bend at the bottom of the hill. All told the hill is just under half a mile long. I usually like to coast down the hill at about 60, but people tend to ride their brakes downhill. I slow down to 55 to put about 3 seconds between me and the Honda before we start heading downhill.

Meanwhile this guy in a green Ram towing a trailer comes racing up ob me. I'd have to guess he was doing at least 80. He catches up to us right as we start the blind left bend, and accelerates around me. As soon as he's beside me, I slam on the brakes to give him room, because if he hits an oncoming car I'm hosed too. He continues on and also passes the Honda in front of me. By the time he whips back into our lane, we're at the bottom of the hill. He missed an oncoming car at the foot of the hill by a couple seconds. I should have called the police on the guy but I only had a partial plate and was so flustered I didn't immediately process what had just happened.

The second incident was coming out of town this morning. A three-lane drops to two lanes, and I'm letting a car ahead of me merge in. A bro-trucker behind me decides I'm not going fast enough, so cuts off a Vibe to get in the passing lane, where he gets stuck behind a guy just kind of diddling around in the lane. The car I let merge in is starting to pull away, so as soon as the driver on the right pulls far enough ahead, the bro-trucker cuts me off, rolling coal as he does so. About a quarter mile up the road, the car I let merge in starts to slow down and the car on the passing lane draws even with him. As soon as there's enough room, the bro-trucker switches lanes, cutting off the Vibe again. As soon as the pickup truck finally manages to get ahead of the two cars, he doesn't take off...so congrats at winning at traffic, I guess? It was more annoying than anything, although the Vibe driver had some primo road rage that made me smile. He was making monkey gestures behind the wheel.

The last incident was also today as I was leaving another town. A truck is doing 40 in a 55. There's a long passing zone, so I wait to get there and start to accelerate past him. Once I get beside him, he starts accelerating to prevent me from merging back into my lane. Right about this time a car comes around the corner, just beyond the end of the passing zone. I accelerate to 80 to finish the pass because I'm not going to sit behind an rear end in a top hat. By the time I get around him the oncoming car is approaching fast, so I cut back into my lane, which was apparently too close to the special snowflake I was passing. He leans on the horn. I'm tempted to slam on the brakes, but decide to settle on flipping him off.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

nsaP posted:

You are getting upset at people doing the correct thing because of your own ignorance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_merge

Look it even mentions you:

You and the onramp blocker are the people we share a road with.
I would rather have them on the road than someone who rides a motorcycle with earbuds.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Cage posted:

I would rather have them on the road than someone who rides a motorcycle with earbuds.

Okay. I do this, I also drive a car. I can tell you that I can hear more of the road riding with earbuds than I can in my car with the windows up and the radio on. Especially so if the A/C or heat is cranking. Often times I hear and react to sirens long before cars.

What is your experience with driving and riding with headphones?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I don't do it because I'm not a jerk.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
So you drive with the windows down and no radio always then? Right.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Cage posted:

Man the guy on the motorcycle is only going to kill himself.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

nsaP posted:

So you drive with the windows down and no radio always then? Right.
I have microphones pointing out my grill and taped to my trunk that feed directly to my speakers. It gives me so much awareness that I can drive with my eyes closed and often do.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

Congradulations. You found a wikipedia article with a single citation, of a single study from 2008 in Minnesota.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

SocketSeven posted:

Congradulations. You found a wikipedia article with a single citation, of a single study from 2008 in Minnesota.

Fly away, troll.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Google zipper merging yourself, this is an internet board, not a research paper.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Google cannot convince me that you aren't an rear end in a top hat. Neither can your posting, apparently. :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

SocketSeven posted:

Google cannot convince me that you aren't an rear end in a top hat. Neither can your posting, apparently. :v:

Holy poo poo just go away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

SocketSeven posted:

I am an idiot.

I agree, go away.