Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Sniep posted:

ok what was the one that was a pair of balls in a cardboard box that were covered in some sort of explosive powder that you threw one up in the air and it landed on the other and make a loud crack sound?

while back but those are rad, i should see if i can find some

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Thesoro posted:

so these

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/solar-roadways

seem like a cool enough idea, if their claims are true. someone who knows more about solar energy or transpo infrastructure please tell me i'm wrong a lot.

can you believe those so-called `engineers' haven't thought of just making maintenance free roads before?

and it turns out that you can put cables underground, replacing the need for overhead and underground cables

and build a narrow water conduit to channel a road length's worth of storm water

i'm no road expert but this all rates high on my "if this worked people would already be doing it" scale

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
so what you're saying is a two-person operation with plans to vastly improve all the world's transportation infrastructure with something they built in their shed might not know what the gently caress they're talking about

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
this one weird solar road trick big oil HATES

good thing the their flex-funded campaign for will get the 800k pledged so far!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

DID YOU KNOW:
-that this bigass list of companies acknowledged our work but didn't invest in the technology?

now you know

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
hm yes lets build roads out of glass, this seems like a great and sustainable idea

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

this one weird solar road trick big oil HATES

good thing the their flex-funded campaign for will get the 800k pledged so far!
tbf the money they're asking for will go toward a parking lot. that's what one million dollars is for

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

suffix posted:

can you believe those so-called `engineers' haven't thought of just making maintenance free roads before?

and it turns out that you can put cables underground, replacing the need for overhead and underground cables

and build a narrow water conduit to channel a road length's worth of storm water

i'm no road expert but this all rates high on my "if this worked people would already be doing it" scale

well its the sort of thing where it works but theres no incentive at all to actually do it, as it doesn't provide much in the way of benefit and has a lot of downsides especially in terms of road repair

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

-flexible funding
-husband and wife team
-feature creep:

also to replace all roads in the us will cost 15 trillion dollars in solar panels alone

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

theflyingexecutive posted:

-flexible funding
-husband and wife team
-feature creep:

also to replace all roads in the us will cost 15 trillion dollars in solar panels alone

national security?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

prefect posted:

national security?
that's how you get government contracts

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
the solar road concept would be more useful in the form of replacing/covering the sunward sides of elevated roadways and bridges with solar panels tbh

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Install Windows posted:

the solar road concept would be more useful in the form of replacing/covering the sunward sides of elevated roadways and bridges with solar panels tbh

fishmech was right

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

-flexible funding
-husband and wife team
-feature creep:

your idea is a basket of fruit

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Install Windows posted:

b b b b but that's not ~~disruptive~~ enough

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

also it will probably only cost a few hundred million instead of the entire gdp*

*electronics and labor not included

Petty Haberdasher
Jul 28, 2012
I want to be the first guy on the road when they open the pilot street, and do a burnout throwing shards of the road into the couple / TV news crew doing the puff piece.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
re: solar powered roads talk

i can only think of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkGMY63FF3Q

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sniep posted:

re: solar powered roads talk

i can only think of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkGMY63FF3Q

Brandon Golway 1 year ago

That's a lovely idea...

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Thesoro posted:

so these

seem like a cool enough idea, if their claims are true. someone who knows more about solar energy or transpo infrastructure please tell me i'm wrong a lot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlTA3rnpgzU
how do i back them with negative money

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

why doesn't it have free wifi too? i mean given all the other bullshit on the list this should be a tiny thing

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
i too often think that roads need to be make of material that's really slippery and how much this will improve safety

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Thesoro posted:

so these

i'm the green colored solar cells

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

wait i got another one, i'm the leds that will definitely be visible in broad daylight through two inches of textured glass

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i'm the glass surface which is frosted and opaque 1yr later because of the action of vehicles grinding dust into me

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

that is impressively stupid.

of course it has nearly a million in backing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
oh god i just actually watched the video

that texture on the glass is going to absolutely loving destroy tyres, make the road noisier than a loving cattle grid, and definitely be completely full of oil and road poo poo in minutes

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

prefect posted:

national security?

phase 2 is to build a satellite constellation that directs solar energy along the roadways to maximize efficiency

:getin:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

wait i got another one, i'm the leds that will definitely be visible in broad daylight through two inches of textured glass

i'm the "Artist's rendition of Taco Bell with Solar Road Panels" product-placement on their indiegogo page

i'm also the massive theft of billions of dollars worth of public infrastructure protected by these foolproof "security covers"

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i'm also the massive theft of billions of dollars worth of public infrastructure protected by these foolproof "security covers"

i'm the people who die because the panels come lose/are stolen, leaving exposed studs sticking out of the road that burst my tyres and send me spinning into oncoming traffic

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

i'm the power grid that will have to cope with the inconsistent power factor of a dirty road covered by moving shadows and bad optics

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

i'm the "Artist's rendition of Taco Bell with Solar Road Panels" product-placement on their indiegogo page

quote:

These panels must be valuable. What's to keep people from stealing them for home use?

Each panel has its own microprocessor, which communicates wirelessly with the surrounding panels. They monitor each other for malfunctions or problems. Even if someone were able to pull a panel out of the road and load it on a truck, the stolen panel would continue communicating with all of the other panels in the road. The road would know exactly where it was and how fast it was moving, making the criminal a sitting duck for law enforcement.

People will surely try however, and we'll probably be treated to several "World's Dumbest Criminal" episodes before the thieves finally decide it's not worth it!

i'm the solar panels with backup batteries and gps transmitters

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

additionally, i'm the actual road that will have to be built as foundation under the panels that will need to be maintained

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

why doesn't it have free wifi too? i mean given all the other bullshit on the list this should be a tiny thing

giving everybody in america free wifi would be much more cost effective

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Al! posted:

giving everybody in america free wifi would be much more cost effective

internet access is a U.N.-defined human right

e: realized that formatting was actually significant to interpretation, there

duTrieux. fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 25, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
finland made internet access a right but then it turned out they considered expensive 1 megabit down satellite links to qualify for internet access

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
lol https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1939723822/fish-on-wheels?ref=category

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbNmL6hSNKw

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
here's lol for another far more shameful reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFipODZte9I