Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I haven't played since 5th edition, so exactly how godawful is this list?

quote:

Tank HQ – 600 pts
- Pask in Punisher w/ Heavy Bolter Sponsons – 230 pts
- Executioner w/ Plasma Sponsons – 185 pts
- Executioner w/ Plasma Sponsons – 185 pts

Infantry Platoon – 225 pts
- Command Squad w/ 3 Flamers, Vox Caster, 50 pts
- Infantry Squad w/Grenade Launcher, Vox 60 pts
- Infantry Squad w/Grenade Launcher 55 pts
- Special Weapons Squad w/2 Flamers, Demo Charge 60 pts

Infantry Platoon – 225 pts
- Command Squad w/ 3 Flamers, Vox Caster, 50 pts
- Infantry Squad w/Grenade Launcher, Vox 60 pts
- Infantry Squad w/Grenade Launcher 55 pts
- Special Weapons Squad w/2 Flamers, Demo Charge 60 pts

Veteran Squad - 180 pts
- 10 Vets w/ shotguns, 3 melta guns, krak grenades, carapace armor, chimera – 180 pts

Veteran Squad - 180 pts
- 10 Vets w/ shotguns, 3 melta guns, krak grenades, carapace armor, chimera – 180 pts

Scout Sentinel Squadron – 135 pts
- Sentinel w/ Lascannon – 45 pts

Leman Russ Vanquisher w/ Multi-Meltas – 135 pts

Primaris Psyker – 50 pts
Primaris Psyker – 50 pts

Ministorum Priest – 25 pts
Ministorum Priest – 25 pts

The idea is, the two 25-man guard blocks sit on an objective in cover (hopefully), the tank squad takes out heavy infantry, the Priests go with the Vet Squads and hunt tanks or FMCs, the Sentinels outflank and do the same before they explode. The Vanquisher shoots at AV14 things and tries not to die.

I think I completely lack any defense against fliers, and I suspect the troop squads will just get rolled up in an assault.

Some of the choices (special weapons squad with that layout) are because that's how the Elysian squads come from forgeworld, but I'm pretty sure I can get some more lasguns if they're better than shotguns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Why would you want a set of cards per player? I thought you weren't allowed to have duplicate objectives.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Hollismason posted:

My point EXACTLY.

Rogue Trader was awesome, except the rules were complete and utter poo poo.

Well, at least something from Rogue Trader has still carried over.

As someone that always loved super killy assault armies I'm just disappointed that the new edition does not seem to have done anything to make them more viably while. Also, really not liking the look of the psychic phase against someone that goes full on psyker spam.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
That looks like a good list to me everything is pretty well armoured. What do you have the Psykers for ?

Exinos posted:

Well, at least something from Rogue Trader has still carried over.

As someone that always loved super killy assault armies I'm just disappointed that the new edition does not seem to have done anything to make them more viably while. Also, really not liking the look of the psychic phase against someone that goes full on psyker spam.

Psyker Spam isn't to bad to fight against, it really depends on your army but yeah its kind of annoying to fight against. There's still super killy assaults. I dunno I'm a fan of the changes but not so much the 80 dollar price tag that came with it.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
@ LordAba: you sure mate? He's got like 60 infantry in blocks, while every fantasy army I've ever seen played has 100+. I don't know much about the different armies, maybe my assumption was wrong.

Eldar transports: I have also considered taking DE raiders for eldar aspect warriors, but it just seems very restrictive that not only do you have a tax of dismounted DE infantry, you can't start your eldar squad in the transport, negating a lot of the benefits.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Hollismason posted:

That looks like a good list to me everything is pretty well armoured. What do you have the Psykers for ?

Prescience on the blobs/whatever else presents itself, some sort of ability to roll deny the witch.

edit: I don't know if I can cast prescience since it's warp charge 2 and they're level 1, I need to get the book.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yes that is the big unfortunate that they can start the game embarked unless they can? Unsure will reread.

Swagger Dagger posted:

Prescience on the blobs/whatever else presents itself, some sort of ability to roll deny the witch.

Well the good news is you get Prescience for free, if you focus so you'll get to roll again on Divination.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

ijyt posted:

Posts like this overall reassure me about 7th, but my main issue with it is still the price. Guess I'll be waiting for the minibook.

And also an easy way to make my own cards.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

But in otha news, its da new stompa.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah that thing is awesome.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Fix posted:

Why would you want a set of cards per player? I thought you weren't allowed to have duplicate objectives.

No, you're right, just one set of cards is used per game, sorry about that.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
And they called the Killa Kan Stompy.

Fix posted:

Are they? Are knights not lumped in with forces of the imperium?
They are, but Come the Apocalypse is less harsh than 6th Edition's Desperate Allies.

Fix posted:

Each player can get each objective, I think. Oh I misunderstood.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Genghis Cohen posted:

@ LordAba: you sure mate? He's got like 60 infantry in blocks, while every fantasy army I've ever seen played has 100+. I don't know much about the different armies, maybe my assumption was wrong.

Oh yeah, a 6x3 squad of chaos warriors with full command is 282 without any other upgrades. The chariot plus the 4 characters (assuming they are only hero level, not lord level) are 550 points.

Honestly, points haven't changed too much over the last three editions. There are always exceptions, but core Tac squads are about the same. Rogue Trader and 2nd edition are different beasts. It's just points per game have shot up in Fantasy because people want to include broken combos.

[edit] I should note that fantasy undead armies had their troop points chopped drastically because of how fear used to work. If you caused fear, outnumbered the enemy, and won combat the enemy would auto-break, which could cause huge bullshit. So you had skeletons, who basically have the stats of conscripts, at ~11 points/model is I remember right.
The new edition had fear work differently, so now they are around 5 points and priced roughly right for the stats (though zombies/ghouls are generally seen as better).

LordAba fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 25, 2014

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Moola posted:

Honestly so much poo poo just seems totally arbitrary. Not even bad just... why?

Did the game need a psychic phase? Does it fix something?

Why is cover 5+ now? Was cover too good, despite all the 'ignores cover' being thrown around?

Random stuff.

Because thats the way it is in Fantasy. One ruleset to rule drown them all.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Yeah that thing is awesome.

It's just been brought to my attention that each barrel of the gatling gun contains more gatling guns. :orks101:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Is that a plastic Mega Dred?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

krushgroove posted:

Tried our first 6.5/7th edition game...overall I liked it. I used an unbound Nids force with a couple of CSM models I had handy:

Flyrant with 2x T-L Devourer with brainleeches
Walking Hive Tyrant with the same weapons
2 Tervigons with Termigaunts
Tyrannofex
2x Venomthropes
3x Biovores
Mawloc

plus Heldrake with Baleflamer and Forgefiend with 3 Ectoplasma cannons

I just grabbed a bunch of models I had handy and didn't really try to optimize anything.

Our DA player wanted to use his Shadowsword I just did for him (I posted it earlier), so he made that his Warlord and his Lord of War and used a bunch of Deathwing:

Belial + 5 Deathwing
Librarian + 8 or so Deathwing
5 Deathwing
Shadowsword (Warlord)

Tyranid deployment (Mawloc and Heldrake in reserve)

Dark Angel deployment (Belial and his guard in reserve)

Objective cards were interesting - you'll want a set per player if you get them

We only did a couple of turns because of time constraints, but overall I enjoyed the game! It was interesting to do an Unbound 1849 pt list against a Battle Forged list. Unbound was cool, and it seems to work OK against a normal FOC list.

Best part was the randomness of the Objectives – you can’t discard the ones you can never achieve, but you get new ones when you’ve accomplished any of the objective cards you’ve got. So your objectives can change from turn to turn.

Psyker phase was interesting – Tyranids are going to dominate with plenty of dice to counter attacks and blessings, or for their own attacks, but they’re psyker-heavy after all. I think it goes quickly enough but our DA player will have to get used to it.

It'd be nice if more was changed for the edition (assaults, etc., ad nauseum) but what they've changed and what I've seen in-game looks alright so far.

e: we treated the cover areas as 5+ cover, my ruined building as 4+ cover, the cathedral windows as difficult terrain and 4+ cover...basically the same as how we used them in 6th.

Unless I'm a retard, you can actually discard one tactical objective per turn usually and draw another within the limits for whatever game you're currently playing.

And if people say tactical objectives are bad you're actually wrong. Just wrong. Plain incorrect.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

Because thats the way it is in Fantasy. One ruleset to rule drown them all.

Meh, the fantasy magic phase has its flaws, but it's actually pretty neat. The psker phase doesn't sound as interesting... instead of playing against the enemies dispel dice and wizard level like in fantasy, it's more "what are the odds of a power going off vs the odds of getting perils" since your opponent doesn't have any real actions other than throw all the dice at it.

Actually, can a Deny the Witch roll fail because you throw too much dice at it?

Plus fantasy has modification for shooting because of cover, not cover saves. :P

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They are, but Come the Apocalypse is less harsh than 6th Edition's Desperate Allies.

Everybody deploys a foot away because Kharn's driving.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

ijyt posted:

I loving love walkers. The bigger and stompier the better.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Sephyr posted:

I think I'll prefer to grab some Guardians to lurk back home near an objective and let some Trueborn ride arund in their Wave Serpent. All n all, Scorpions are still better than banshees on most situations due to having grenades and an Exarch that can hit at S7 Ap2 at initiative, plus better armor.

What's your thinking behind the trueborn in serpents? It strikes me as though you'd be sacrificing their best asset because the serpent has no firing ports.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Ok Gorkanaut is a cool name.

It's got Gork and Kan in it!

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I'd like the whole sprue - according to GW's site they're temporarily out of stock. I hope I'm not chasing these for 6 months, ugh.

Yeah they run out of these for a few weeks every other month. Just be glad you didn't drop the cash on the FW resin track guards for chimera chassis. Easily the most frustrating pieces of resin I've ever dealt with.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Has it been that long? Forgeworld was once an independent company run out of somebody's garage (still is, judging by their shoddy casting quality). What they had going for them is a team of gifted sculptors and idea people. About three or four years ago Games Workshop/Citadel/whatever purchased Forgeworld.

That's it, what's there to be confused about?

Hollismason posted:

One of the buffs that people seem to miss is that with Dark Eldar and Eldar, battle brothers can now ride in each others transports. So Banshees and Scorpions got a nice boost. You have to take the Transport for something else but who cares, Dark Eldar are cheap.

So I guess like Banshees are alright as they can ride in a assault vehicle now.

Raiders are not cheap, they have a 4th/5th edition point cost, and unless 7th edition means you can move 12", disembark, and assault, Striking Scorpions and Howling Banshees are still poo poo out of luck.

Wait, wait, wait, I'm missing the big picture: Howling Banshees are always bad. Even if their Banshee masks were fixed they are weak, fragile, and cost too much. This was true even before power weapons were changed from ignoring all armor saves.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 25, 2014

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
My group picked up the Relic Expansion, it was pretty fun!

High point of the game for me was my Exarch destroying a Stormlord Heavy Tank with an Ork Choppa :v:

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Post 9-11 User posted:

Raiders are not cheap, they have a 4th/5th edition point cost, and unless 7th edition means you can move 12", disembark, and assault, Striking Scorpions and Howling Banshees are still poo poo out of luck.

Wait, wait, wait, I'm missing the big picture: Howling Banshees are always bad. Even if their Banshee masks were fixed they are weak, fragile, and cost too much. This was true even before power weapons were changed from ignoring all armor saves.

On the turn you assault, raider-mounted infantry can move+disembark 12" then assault. So a significant rather than overwhelming benefit. In my mind the real advantage is the flat out fast skimmer move in the first turn to get in position and provide a (thin) ablative layer of protection for the troops. And at best you are delaying that for a turn if borrowing another squad's dedicated transport. And it rather restricts your deployment since you probably want at least a covered position to embark on the transport turn 1.

Looking through the DE codex, I don't really see anything except maybe beast packs and some HQs that I would really use over the eldar equivalents. As I said I would take venoms or raider for some squads, if they were available as dedicated transports.

Really hope FW get their arses in gear and update those corsair rules. Have some jetbikes that would be a lot cooler as corsairs, and there were some other cool options that might actually be playable if they are using current eldar as a baseline.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

CC units are the one place DE aren't outshined by their cousins. I'd rather put incubi or wyches in those raiders or venoms even if banshees didn't require some deployment shenanigans. Scorpions don't really need a transport, and I think just throwing them into the enemy is a waste. They're better used as a disruption unit your enemy has to divert resources to deal with before they roll up something squishy.

Don't get me wrong. I support any effort to get more out of (Dark) Eldar assault units, but it's a lot of effort for little return, especially when both factions are so drat good at just shooting poo poo off the table. Sadly, assault is still in the gutter, and we'll have to wait until next year for the possibility of systemic changes that will make it better.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 25, 2014

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

ijyt posted:

Why the gently caress do I not play Orks? What the gently caress am I doing?

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Unbound + my existing silly/fluffy Iyanden list + that silly Eldar haul I got last weekend =

Now all I need is more wraithlords.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

That thing is rad. Look at how many barrels that gun has!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Hahahahhahaha , loving Transcendant C'tan in normal play is broken. Just got to go by a friends and play a quick game of 7th. I subbed my C'Tan for a Transcendant and then just played my normal I Poop Scarabs army. He played Space Marines w/ a Baneblade, which I don't think they can even get but what the gently caress ever. It was over in 3 turns. Tran C'tan just wreaked shop all over the board then was just like I am who I am deal with it then start throwing his D all over the place. Game took like 45 minutes but was hell of a lot of fun!

edit:

Forgot to mention he was like gently caress it I'm taking all Malefic and actually rolled Possession. I couldn't do poo poo but all he had was a old Keeper of Secrets, but it was pretty funny to have a Space Marine Librarian Ride up on a Bike and then turn into a Keeper of Secrets.

Psychic phase was pretty predictable, we went by what we thought were the new access rules and 1 librarian took Biomancy and rolled the Endurance and the other took Malefic.

I sat around doing nothing with Necrons because theres gently caress all you can do so its just like " Oh you get extra poo poo" awesome. So Psychic Phase sucks well for Necrons.

So Basically 7th is 6th with a few minor rules changes and a new phase that is like , Okay that's kind of cool. Also, it's bullshit that you can fire Witchfire AND shoot. It wasn't overpowered. We didn't get ot try out any of the "big" changes to 7th other than loving around hardcore with the FOC which is boss. Like seriously it makes sense is really balanced and who cares if you are taking TWO detachments , you have to take two troops. So was really happy with that. I guess if all you play are assholes playing a against unbound would be lovely.

My advice don't play assholes.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 25, 2014

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
I haven't seen this widely reported, but if you're a Dark Eldar player looking for 7th edition bread crumbs:

-Defensive grenades no longer give you shrouded at 8" range. Instead, they can fire an 8" blinding attack, so there's another fun thing a phantasm grenade launcher can do.
-Some of the warlord traits, particularly the Personal warlord traits, got straight up better. You outright get furious charge or feel no pain or it will not die/fearless, without conditions like in the 6th edition personal traits table.

Granted, that doesn't help against a pack of invisible flesh hounds skateboarding across the table but that's all I got.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Direwolf posted:

Unbound + my existing silly/fluffy Iyanden list + that silly Eldar haul I got last weekend =

Now all I need is more wraithlords.

That one poor Wraithlord has had one too many spirits.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Their walkers got Hammer of Wrath, that's all I got.

How common is Dark Eldar, where I am I've never played against them except when they're allied with Eldar. I've never played against a Dark Eldar army with my Crons.

Slimnoid posted:

That one poor Wraithlord has had one too many spirits.

Pretty sure he just has wraith herpes, unpainted Spiritstones look weird.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 25, 2014

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Wouldn't normally be spamming up such WIP models, but these Squats were made possible by some goons so I wanted to share.

Thanks BULBASAUR for the arms - in your honor, they'll all have the number 001 painted on real tiny. And thanks Fix for the weapons - I'm gonna remove some of the gems and do a tiny bit of Imperial stuff to them, but they make perfect exotic meltaguns and a flamer. The rest of the squad will have lasguns. These guys are gonna be a Veteran squad to round my Knight Titan up to an even 500pt chunk I can tack on to existing IG lists.

And since I posted my tree daemons, here's the crazy homeless forest man who will be summoning them. Hard to tell here but he's floating, and the branches under him will be painted to be glowing.

Cheers to everyone else who posted sweet minis and crazy fun little 7th edition battle reports. Chirurgeon, I'm gonna be in NYC late July - I'll shoot you a message and see if maybe we can get in some game time with those awesome Chaos dudes. :cheers:

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
You can buy the Dais now and put 8-9 dark reapers inside to hang out with Vect if you want to be silly. Apparently if the transport jinks the occupants are not penalized? That could be fun. Farseer or Eldrad for Prescience and or Perfect Timing. Clearly that's a lot of points but that is a lot of missiles that is hard to shoot at.

My local area loves coming up with wacky ideas like this so I am probably programed to see things like 200pt raiders and think, "No big deal!" There was an army that had The Space Pope walking with as many ICs as he could to make a ridiculous deathstar.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

WhiteOutMouse posted:

You can buy the Dais now and put 8-9 dark reapers inside to hang out with Vect if you want to be silly. Apparently if the transport jinks the occupants are not penalized? That could be fun. Farseer or Eldrad for Prescience and or Perfect Timing. Clearly that's a lot of points but that is a lot of missiles that is hard to shoot at.

My local area loves coming up with wacky ideas like this so I am probably programed to see things like 200pt raiders and think, "No big deal!" There was an army that had The Space Pope walking with as many ICs as he could to make a ridiculous deathstar.

I don't think you can cast any psychic power within a transport but a Witchfire, I' like 50% sure on that. I know if he's with the Dark Reapers he probably can?

Kind of curious though how this whole Battle Brothers can use each others transports is gonna work out.

I could see it being either really abusive or not mattering ever.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

BuffaloChicken posted:

Wouldn't normally be spamming up such WIP models, but these Squats were made possible by some goons so I wanted to share.

Thanks BULBASAUR for the arms - in your honor, they'll all have the number 001 painted on real tiny. And thanks Fix for the weapons - I'm gonna remove some of the gems and do a tiny bit of Imperial stuff to them, but they make perfect exotic meltaguns and a flamer. The rest of the squad will have lasguns. These guys are gonna be a Veteran squad to round my Knight Titan up to an even 500pt chunk I can tack on to existing IG lists.

And since I posted my tree daemons, here's the crazy homeless forest man who will be summoning them. Hard to tell here but he's floating, and the branches under him will be painted to be glowing.

Cheers to everyone else who posted sweet minis and crazy fun little 7th edition battle reports. Chirurgeon, I'm gonna be in NYC late July - I'll shoot you a message and see if maybe we can get in some game time with those awesome Chaos dudes. :cheers:

Ayup, kinda dope.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Their walkers got Hammer of Wrath, that's all I got.

How common is Dark Eldar, where I am I've never played against them except when they're allied with Eldar. I've never played against a Dark Eldar army with my Crons.

A lot of people, including me, started DE armies when they got a new book and gorgeous models. A lot of people, excluding me, shelved them when 6E nerfed the hell out of assault lists. I still field them regularly, aside from my current regular Eldar run, but I focus on their excellent shooting and leave the assault units on the shelf. They make for pretty good fights against my buddy's Necrons. If I don't get the most out of my speed and range advantages, he corners and crushes me with his regenerating horde. Also, dueling hover boats looks loving rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Fix posted:

Ayup, kinda dope.
My brother just texted me a photo of his WIP terrain piece using the plasma globe. I'll share it here when he has more progress.

• Locked thread