Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Amppelix posted:

You have to present a compelling argument. Spam emotes, throw out hellos, backstab greys. Apply chameleon and sit in the corner nonthreateningly. The truce WILL end once there are no common enemies though, so fight it out afterwards or you will be killed by backstab.

I'm out of orbs anyway. I'll need to grind out more of those (or consider moving onto NG+ I suppose) before attempting that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The guards in the Belfries say that they were made by the "Prince" and "Princess". I didn't think those were any characters who appeared in the rest of the game? "Alken" and "Venn" aren't names I saw referenced anywhere else.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Also I tried out powerstanced Dark Mace of the Insolent with Resonant Weapon. They almost oneshot Ironclads, it's insane.

E: This is at +7 and +8 on those maces (because I don't feel like grinding titanite chunks at the moment.)

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

King of Solomon posted:

Also I tried out powerstanced Dark Mace of the Insolent with Resonant Weapon. They almost oneshot Ironclads, it's insane.

E: This is at +7 and +8 on those maces (because I don't feel like grinding titanite chunks at the moment.)

Sounds like a good reason to go defend the bells for a little bit. :colbert:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If someone is using an invincibility hack it won't show damage numbers at all right (as opposed to damage numbers where their health bar just doesn't go down)? I just got invaded twice on the rat team by people who didn't take any damage from full stamina combos, getting mauled by rats and a riposte in one case.

I hate to alt f4 in situations like that but these pieces of poo poo already ruined my soul memory once and I've read about people doing a lot worse than that, so...

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Internet Kraken posted:

Gonna be honest, due to the way the cape looks in this screenshot I thought you were a medieval Pumaman.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Regy Rusty posted:

The guards in the Belfries say that they were made by the "Prince" and "Princess". I didn't think those were any characters who appeared in the rest of the game? "Alken" and "Venn" aren't names I saw referenced anywhere else.

They were from one of the kingdoms before drangleic. They were both really good at making puppets that eventually went nuts and the pursuer and Mytha are somehow related to them, and maybe the covetous demon or something. It's all kind of vague and would probably make a good sitcom.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

My guess is Mytha and the former king of Iron Keep. Kings and Queens are princes and princesses before they become elevated and Belfry Sol is found in the Iron Keep. The king got deceased by the IK and the demon hordes, Mytha went fukkin' nuts and full medusa.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
From should really just implement a damage check at random points in the game where some invis pseudounit bops you for 1 damage and if you don't actually take the damage you get a visit from some hired goons

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

killstealing posted:

From should really just implement a damage check at random points in the game where some invis pseudounit bops you for 1 damage and if you don't actually take the damage you get a visit from some hired goons

Most infinite health hacks actually do have you take damage, your healing rate is just so high that it doesn't appear to do anything. You take damage but it gets healed in a split second.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I guess that's how they die to OHKOs then.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tasoth posted:

My guess is Mytha and the former king of Iron Keep. Kings and Queens are princes and princesses before they become elevated and Belfry Sol is found in the Iron Keep. The king got deceased by the IK and the demon hordes, Mytha went fukkin' nuts and full medusa.

Well it could be, but the item descriptions and dialogue seem to indicate two different stories. The Prince of Venn and Princess of Alken are described as having "forbidden love" which doesn't seem to describe the situation between Mytha and her guy. Plus neither of them are connected to the Bastille where the other Belfry is.

The impression I got is that the people who were involved in the Belfries are completely gone, and the later kingdoms built over their Belfries and the crazy dwarf puppets just keep killing everyone anyway for no reason.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The Luna Belfry being built over makes sense but I don't get how the hell the Sol Belfry couldn't be a part of Iron Keep. Its at the top of it has the same architecture. Iron Keep's story is that its so loving heavy it keeps sinking deeper and deeper into the lava. If Belfry Sol was around before it, it would of had to been ABSURDLY huge.

Honestly thinking about it more, Belfry Sol is the only reason that part of the story confuses me. The timeline for those events is set up to take place before Drangleic existed, but Belfry Sol had to be a part of Iron Keep which was built during the time of Drangleic.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 25, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I always assumed that there was already a castle there and the king just renovated. The problem being that his idea of new furniture is a 20 story tall iron cow man.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 25, 2014

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Huh. I guess I assumed that Old Iron King was pre-Vendrick, but I guess that can't be the case if bigV was running around with Old King's soul at some point.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Regy Rusty posted:

Well it could be, but the item descriptions and dialogue seem to indicate two different stories. The Prince of Venn and Princess of Alken are described as having "forbidden love" which doesn't seem to describe the situation between Mytha and her guy. Plus neither of them are connected to the Bastille where the other Belfry is.

The impression I got is that the people who were involved in the Belfries are completely gone, and the later kingdoms built over their Belfries and the crazy dwarf puppets just keep killing everyone anyway for no reason.

This was my takeaway, and in fact they may have been built by Gwyndolin and Gwynevere, since Luna mimics the Undead Church in so many ways.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Maybe the Prince and Princess were pen-pals across the gulf of time. Whole new level of long-distance relationship. What love is more forbidden than time-travelling love?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I was reminded of something else entirely.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

killstealing posted:

I guess that's how they die to OHKOs then.

Pretty much. Most people just freeze their HP.

However, every time you take damage, the game checks whether the result will bring you to 0 or below before moving the HP bar. If it sees that it would, you die.

That's the check people who know what they're doing override if they want to be sneaky and look like they're taking damage. If they don't care about that, they ignore the damage by making it so it never gets transferred to their HP at all.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Also for anyone playing on PC get Gedosata and make it halve your framerate to fix the durability loss a little bit... has made a huge difference for my Belmont run.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I didn't buy it on pc to play at 30 fps, to be honest. To hell with durability

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum
So, umm, I was summoned to Belfry Sol, another phantom was already there, but backed off when I arrived. The host did the "this one's me" emote, then turned their back on me. I felt like I was being baited into a trap, so I did nothing. They got closer and turn their back to me again. I circled around to their front, hit them, and backed off. They took damage and nothing weird happened, so the next time they turned around, I backstabbed the heck out of them and... I won? Nothing bad happened. I guess they were just being a titanite chunk philanthropist? I'm a little confused.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

killstealing posted:

When I run fraps on DkS2 it reads 60 fps, am I being lied to by my outdated and plebeian software again?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

The Gorp posted:

When I run fraps on DkS2 it reads 60 fps, am I being lied to by my outdated and plebeian software again?

I replied to the post above mine.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Reminder for those of you who like fur + cape styled armor: Llewellyn armor is vastly inferior to Benhart's in every way! All-black is lame!

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Gonna kill benhart

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

killstealing posted:

Yeah I tried it out but 30 fps just feels too slow and clunky compared to what I've been playing the game at for 100+ hours now. I just wear the Bracing Knuckle Ring +2 and call it a day.

Sven
Oct 4, 2005
Any one got some pointers on the hammer spirit outside the doors to drangleic castle on NG+? that spinning move he does is wrecking my poo poo.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Just carry repair powder with you! I mean yeah they're 2500 each but 247500 souls is peanuts on NG+.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Gives it the same sky as the windmill. I copied the mod title as-is. :allears:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

turtlecrunch posted:

Gives it the same sky as the windmill. I copied the mod title as-is. :allears:

Aren't there like, a grand total of two places in Iron Keep that are even high up enough to SEE a skybox like that, what with how many buildings and poo poo are in the way?

SMP
May 5, 2009

Are people really that bothered by the Earthen Peak / Iron Keep thing in this loving game? Did these people also go nuts because the Overlook hotel's layout made no sense?

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

SMP posted:

Are people really that bothered by the Earthen Peak / Iron Keep thing in this loving game? Did these people also go nuts because the Overlook hotel's layout made no sense?

It wouldn't be that big a deal in any other series, but it's pretty disappointing in a sequel to a game which displayed so much effort in this regard imo

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Its only a big deal cause previous titles had pretty good world design, otherwise its nothing much.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

SMP posted:

It's a pretty weird thing to get hung up about. If it happened in Dark Souls 1 then maybe I could see it, but 2 is so different in this regard that it doesn't seem worth the aggravation it gives people.

SMP
May 5, 2009

It strikes me as something completely intentional and not something born from a lack of attention. In The Shining, Kubrick did the exact same thing to instill a sense of eeriness to the film, which fits in perfectly with the kind of thing the Souls games are known for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sUIxXCCFWw

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

SMP posted:

It strikes me as something completely intentional and not something born from a lack of attention. In The Shining, Kubrick did the exact same thing to instill a sense of eeriness to the film, which fits in perfectly with the kind of thing the Souls games are known for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sUIxXCCFWw

A reminder that Things Betwixt literally has an entire alternate universe atop the trees.

Earthen Peak and Iron Keep aren't so far fetched.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Sure, I believe that there's probably something intentional about it, but if it's such a huge bugbear for so many people then it's clear that their intention didn't come through clearly. The way you could see both Ash Lake and the Demon Ruins, two very different areas with complete opposite color schemes, from the Tomb of the Giants? That was obviously surreal in an intentional way. The way you move from a dark subterranean cave to the Kiln, a huge outdoor area? Clearly intentional. The way the lake in Darkroot still reflects sunlight even though that's the only area in the game where it's night? Subtle but intentional, and justified by the motifs of the world's mythology. What that elevator ride lacks is any sign that it's intentional, even if you can kinda see how it might be.

Consider that you're comparing it to a technique in a film that most viewers won't even notice on their first watchthrough. It's not that it was a bad idea from the start, it's that their execution was poor.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Space Hamlet posted:

Sure, I believe that there's probably something intentional about it, but if it's such a huge bugbear for so many people then it's clear that their intention didn't come through clearly. The way you could see both Ash Lake and the Demon Ruins, two very different areas with complete opposite color schemes, from the Tomb of the Giants? That was obviously surreal in an intentional way. The way you move from a dark subterranean cave to the Kiln, a huge outdoor area? Clearly intentional. The way the lake in Darkroot still reflects sunlight even though that's the only area in the game where it's night? Subtle but intentional, and justified by the motifs of the world's mythology. What that elevator ride lacks is any sign that it's intentional, even if you can kinda see how it might be.

Consider that you're comparing it to a technique in a film that most viewers won't even notice on their first watchthrough. It's not that it was a bad idea from the start, it's that their execution was poor.

That and the path to the Kiln involves, ya know, walking through a ghost filled rip in time/space.

Kinda helps sell the disconnect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Drakes posted:

Its only a big deal cause previous titles had pretty good world design, otherwise its nothing much.

Not sure how Demon's souls is better in this regard, given that the areas in Demon's Souls were connected via warp points.

I don't think it was intentional. It really doesn't say anything that I can think of. Things Betwixt was mentioned already and that place being weird and disconnected is obviously intentional. It serves as bridge between two worlds, a strange place where your character is basically born again and thrust into a land where nothing is familiar. There's no kind of significance in the transition from Earthen Peak to Iron Keep. It just feels like a place where they had to cut out a level and didn't have time to connect the area in a better way.

If I had to guess, the lift in Earthen Peak originally went down to some tunnel area that led into Iron Keep. They cut that part out and just used the elevator to connect the two areas, which makes no sense but whatever.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 25, 2014