Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

(Fargo) Wasn't he trying to get money to put into some business venture, and then father-in-law took the idea from under him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

(Fargo) Wasn't he trying to get money to put into some business venture, and then father-in-law took the idea from under him?

As with everybody else, it's been a while, but I think it was the other way around, he's doing the business venture to try to legitimately get the money, and then the father-in-law stiffs him out of any profit from it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It either seems to be a compulsive thing or has snowballed out of control, since he's also scamming the GMAC for cash.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I am pretty sure he was scamming his father in law as well. He doesn't counteroffer or try to come up with a co ownership or management structure. He just shuts down when he realizes they're not going to write him a check.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

McCloud posted:

Don't know if this is the right place for this, but here goes. My boyfriend and I had a discussion about Sucker Punch the other day. He contended that the movie was sexist garbage, while I argued that the "sexism" was on purpose to make a point about the unhealthy portrayal of women in media in general. I was kinda curious what you guys thought of the movie, both in general and in regards to the whole sexism thing.

Your interpretation is common and Snyder has basically confirmed at what he intended. However, even if this is the case, some still think it failed at what it was trying to do (you can aim to subvert sexism but just end up being a sexist yourself - it's a thin line). In any case I don't think it's an especially great film, but I'll give it a "noble failure" stamp.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of Fargo, what was the point of the asian guy from highschool subplot? It always seemed oddly placed and unnecessary to me.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
From his Great Movies Essay.

Ebert posted:

There is a scene many viewers find inexplicable. On the evening between her first and second interviews with Jerry, Marge has dinner with a high school classmate, Mike Yanagita (Steve Park). The critic Jonathan Rosenbaum says it's “a disturbing interlude that strikes many others as wrong or dubious,” but he finds it a key: “in terms of theme a lonely individual lying compulsively, trying without success to hide his desperation it registers as central.” I agree. I think Mike works as a mirror of Jerry, and that the dinner scene acts as the link between Marge's first and second interviews with him. The next morning, she is preparing to return to Brainerd when a high school girlfriend tells her that everything Mike said was a lie. That's the wake-up call that leads back to Jerry's desk at the dealership. The Mike interlude not only provides a delicate study of Marge coping with an embarrassing situation, but is infinitely better than the alternative a single interview with Jerry that simply grinds him down.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, it's there to serve as a lightbulb moment for Marge that sometimes people will lie their asses off in desperation and gets her thinking about Jerry in that context. Maybe he's not just kinda pathetic, maybe he's hiding something.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Your interpretation is common and Snyder has basically confirmed at what he intended. However, even if this is the case, some still think it failed at what it was trying to do (you can aim to subvert sexism but just end up being a sexist yourself - it's a thin line). In any case I don't think it's an especially great film, but I'll give it a "noble failure" stamp.

Basically this. I think the argument eventually comes down to "Well it's clear what Snyder is doing, the question is how well he does it." That of course is entirely up the the viewer. I think the extended cut makes a better case for him, but I still think it was maybe slightly muddled. In all honesty I can't see how anyone can't come out of Sucker Punch without seeing what Snyder was trying to do with it. It's a movie very much about the male gaze, but to pull that off you have to have scenes that evoke that very thing, and that's where the trouble lies.

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!
Me again. This time I'm looking for interesting causes for delays during film production. I've got most of the obvious ones I think, but I'd be grateful if anyone's got any more suggestions to bulk up my list.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Sirocco posted:

Me again. This time I'm looking for interesting causes for delays during film production. I've got most of the obvious ones I think, but I'd be grateful if anyone's got any more suggestions to bulk up my list.

Fitzcarraldo has like six or seven by itself.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Sirocco posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalypse_Now#Principal_photography

Typhoons destroying sets, a principal actor showing up overweight and arguing over the script, another principal actor having a heart attack, inability to come up with an ending...

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
And that big atoll set in Waterworld got destroyed by a hurricane.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

There's a great documentary film called Lost in La Mancha, which is about Terry Gilliam's failed attempt at adapting Don Quixote. During the production, just about everything goes wrong: a storm damages the equipment, one of the actors contracts a serious illness, the budget is drastically cut, etc. The whole documentary is up on Youtube and well worth a watch.

Aguirre, the Wrath of God is another Herzog film with a very troubled production history.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
For Sorcerer's bridge crossing sequence, Friedkin had the bridge and all the concealed riggings needed to sway the trucks without capsizing them built over a river which promptly dried up. The set was deconstructed and rebuilt over another river. Which also dried up. Finally they temporarily diverted some pumps so that the water-line would be just high enough to shoot the scene.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Sirocco, this just came out on Steam, weird timing.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sirocco posted:

Charles Chaplin went through hell while making The Circus. A lot of footage had to be reshot due to processing errors, sets burned down, his wife filed for divorce, and the IRS was investigating him for tax evasion.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Maxwell Lord posted:

For Sorcerer's bridge crossing sequence, Friedkin had the bridge and all the concealed riggings needed to sway the trucks without capsizing them built over a river which promptly dried up. The set was deconstructed and rebuilt over another river. Which also dried up. Finally they temporarily diverted some pumps so that the water-line would be just high enough to shoot the scene.

In a Q&A Friedkin said that if he had had today's technology, that entire scene would be CG.

I can see where he's coming from, but goddamn am I glad for every laborous second that went into making that scene.

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!
Thanks, everyone, these were all excellent.

Senso posted:

Sirocco, this just came out on Steam, weird timing.

Interesting! Much more involved than the game I'm making though.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Sirocco posted:

Here's a vid Criterion put up about the struggles on Life Aquatic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A9uMgHnhUo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dissapointed Owl posted:

In a Q&A Friedkin said that if he had had today's technology, that entire scene would be CG.

I can see where he's coming from, but goddamn am I glad for every laborous second that went into making that scene.

It's literally unreal. The fact that they pulled it together is astonishing.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I watched Ace Ventura 2 the other night but I didn't see one of my favorite scenes: as Ace is fighting someone, he strikes some sort of big blow, turns around to face the camera (with his back to his opponent) and with eyes closed and mouth clenched he lets out a big breath while shaking. Does anyone remember what I'm talking about? I could have sworn it was during the tribal fight against the little guy, but I can't find it. Was it in another movie?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Violator posted:

I watched Ace Ventura 2 the other night but I didn't see one of my favorite scenes: as Ace is fighting someone, he strikes some sort of big blow, turns around to face the camera (with his back to his opponent) and with eyes closed and mouth clenched he lets out a big breath while shaking. Does anyone remember what I'm talking about? I could have sworn it was during the tribal fight against the little guy, but I can't find it. Was it in another movie?
Sounds more like Army of Darkness to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GABtt-m9AQU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's literally unreal. The fact that they pulled it together is astonishing.

Every ounce of the frustration and hard work pumped into the creation of that scene is there on the screen, but effectively channeled into something benefiting the story and film instead of merely being a 'Historic Horror Productions' novelty.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Speaking of Fargo, what was the point of the asian guy from highschool subplot? It always seemed oddly placed and unnecessary to me.

In addition to what Rosenbaum via Ebert via Sheldrake said, I think part of it is the Coens themselves. They like to write in vignettes and minor scenes that work toward creating a mood or feeling, even if not directly impacting the plot. Sometimes life is like that; you'll be in the middle of a very substantial event or part of your life and some little thing will happen that informs the rest of the experience. Maybe it's not directly related, but somehow it's memorable enough to get lumped in with the other events in our minds. Maybe it was a touch surreal, maybe it felt like some divine message, maybe it just put us in a foul mood that permeated the rest of the experience.

I think the Coens just like to write little bits and work from there to create a story. Supposedly A Serious Man originated with the Bar Mitzvah/weed sequence, which was somewhat autobiographical. They wrote a movie around that seemingly meaningless scene. The dybbuk scene from the same movie has literally no effect on the plot. None of the characters from the rest of the movie are in this sequence, the location and time period are completely different. It was just a story they wanted to write, and thought it set the mood nicely for the rest of the movie. Can we read into it that Larry's brother is himself the dybbuk? Sure, if it helps inform the rest of the movie for you. It is, however in no way directly stated and is only an inference we can make if we choose.

I liked A Serious Man. It reminds me of magical realism, but not quite as magical. Something more like the way our memories filter and distort events and how our recollections of them are tinted by our own emotions at the time.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I liked A Serious Man. It reminds me of magical realism, but not quite as magical.

Jesus, that is a phenomenal way of putting it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

That descriptor would fit Inside Llewyn Davis too.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

DrVenkman posted:

Basically this. I think the argument eventually comes down to "Well it's clear what Snyder is doing, the question is how well he does it." That of course is entirely up the the viewer. I think the extended cut makes a better case for him, but I still think it was maybe slightly muddled. In all honesty I can't see how anyone can't come out of Sucker Punch without seeing what Snyder was trying to do with it. It's a movie very much about the male gaze, but to pull that off you have to have scenes that evoke that very thing, and that's where the trouble lies.

Right, that's what I suspected. A cursory google search would indicate that a lot of people totally missed the point Snyder was trying to make though, which is a shame, cause I like that he was critiquing the male gaze and sexism, but what most people seem to take away from the movie was "chicks in hot pants that shoot nazis and pretends to be empowering to women".

Edit: As luck would have it, there's a derail about sucker punch in the man of steel thread right now! Crossposting what I wrote there.

Mccloud posted:

Oh good, we're talking Sucker Punch. Can we talk about it some more? Cause I don't get that movie.
I mean, I'm a bit slow, but even I can tell that Snyder is trying to say something with that movie. It's just that I can't figure out what that is. So you people literate in the way of moving pictures explain it like I'm a prostitute who just had a lobotomy?

Here's what I think I got, correct me where I'm wrong:

-The creepy guys watching the asylum girls dance are supposed to be us, the male viewers, perving out over the girls.
-The action/dream sequences are symbolic of two things. Girls using their sexuality as a weapon (because in a sexist society, that's the only weapon available to them) and also reflective of settings popular with male nerds (fantasy, sci-fi, anime samurais and war nazis). I'm not quite sure what the second part signifies, maybe that these areas are usually of limits for women, and any women who wants to enjoy these hobbys have to fight to be taken seriously by male peers? Or that women in these types of settings tend to be sexualised and victimised and not taken seriously or given their own agency?
-The girls, while scantily clad, are not sexualised by the movie itself, ie the camera doesn't zoom in on their buttocks or clevage or poo poo like that.
-In the end, playing by the mens rules gets you hosed. Using sex as a weapon works only as far as it doesn't threaten the mens position at the top of the heirarchy. The only way women will really succeed is by standing up for another.

So while I'm not sure it empowered women (how it did, if it actually happened) but from what I understand it's a scathing critique of men and the male gaze, pretty much calling out the male audience for being pigs for supporting this sort of stuff.

So...what did I miss?
Remember, I'm pretty dense, so be gentle!

McCloud fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 24, 2014

Violator
May 15, 2003

fenix down posted:

Sounds more like Army of Darkness to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GABtt-m9AQU

Dang, that must be it. I must've somehow gotten Ace and Ash mixed up in my mind somehow. Thanks!

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I've only ever seen it spoofed in different shows, like South Park and Family Guy; but, what movie is the "hide this thing in a big crate, in a gigantic warehouse of crates" ending from? I want to say it's a Superman.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Raiders of the Lost Ark

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

"Top. Men."

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Ah, that makes sense now with the George Lucas episode of South Park I just watched.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hockles posted:

Ah, that makes sense now with the George Lucas episode of South Park I just watched.

If you haven't seen Raiders of the Lost Arc, or it's just been so long that you don't remember that scene, you should watch it.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Skwirl posted:

If you haven't seen Raiders of the Lost Arc, or it's just been so long that you don't remember that scene, you should watch it.

It's been too long. I only remember parts of the climax with choosing the chalice.

VVV welp

Hockles fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 24, 2014

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Hockles posted:

It's been too long. I only remember parts of the climax with choosing the chalice.

That's Last Crusade.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hockles posted:

drat, then you really need to rewatch it because those are two completely different movies.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I'm looking to rip a couple dozen DVDs I have lying around, and I was wondering if this is the best place to talk about Handbrake encode settings. I really want a straight-up, "this preset best captures this movie on this medium," recommendation.

I was probably just going to mash 'normal' and go with it, but I figured I could ask. Thanks for any recommendations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

zfleeman posted:

I'm looking to rip a couple dozen DVDs I have lying around, and I was wondering if this is the best place to talk about Handbrake encode settings. I really want a straight-up, "this preset best captures this movie on this medium," recommendation.

I was probably just going to mash 'normal' and go with it, but I figured I could ask. Thanks for any recommendations.

Here's what I use:

Picture tab: Anamorphic - None* | Keep Aspect Ratio | Cropping: Automatic
Filters tab: Detelecine and Decomb off** | Deinterlace: Fast | Denoise: Weak | Deblock: Off
Video tab: Video Codec: H.264 | Framerate: Same as source (Constant framerate) | Constant Quality: 19 | Optimise Video : Faster or Fast (if you have a fast cpu, use Fast. Slow cpu, use Faster). | x264 Tune: Film unless it fits in one of the other categories. Everything else default
Audio tab: Source: Whatever 2 channel source is there. Codec: AAC | Bitrate : 160ish | Mixdown : Stereo*** | Everything else default
Subtitles tab: As needed

This takes an 8 gb dvd down to about 1.2 gb with virtually no discernable loss in quality. You're welcome to use higher bitrate audio or whatever -- I do when I encode opera dvds (I use 256 in that case) but AAC is pretty drat impressive at 160

*In theory, anamorphic should be superior. But in tests I did, there was a slight image quality loss compared to leaving it disabled
**In theory, Deinterlace should be off and Decomb on, but I've noticed that their decomb algorithm doesn't always detect interlacing. And for the Deinterlace setting, I didn't notice any image quality difference between Fast and any of the slower settings.
***I use stereo because I often watch on pc, phone, or tablet and so don't need surround. You're certainly welcome to use surround instead, or put both options. Just be aware that the size will go up a bit.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
H264 is good but prores is the best