Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Sukiyaki Western Django does have the distinction of being one of the worst films I've ever seen, and I'm very generous to such an experimental feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I didn't quite know what to think of Zebraman after watching it. It was fairly entertaining but... I dunno. A rewatch of that with Big Man Japan might prove illuminating.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Zebraman is cool, Zebraman 2 is one of the legit best movies ever made.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Has anybody else seen Full Metal Yakuza? I remember finding it really funny.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Has anybody else seen Full Metal Yakuza? I remember finding it really funny.

It was one of the first movies I ever got from Netflix.

I don't really know what to make of it. It seemed like most of the movie was a pretty fun Robocop rehash, but then graphic necrophilia out of nowhere. :psyboom:

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I'm watching Assault on Precinct 13 for the first time. There's a moment towards the beginning I never saw coming at all. It's fun to be surprised by a movie that's a couple decades old.

Also, that soundtrack :drat:.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The fact that none of you brought up Ratatouille in "best Pixar" lists disgusts me.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Tars Tarkas posted:

gently caress me, time to watch Zebraman 2.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

GonSmithe posted:

The fact that none of you brought up Ratatouille in "best Pixar" lists disgusts me.

What, you mean this?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

The balls on whoever thought to put "copyrighted material" on that must have their own gravitational field.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
People here like skeletons, right?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

morestuff posted:

daaaaaaang, what is that from?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tars Tarkas posted:

Zebraman 2 rules.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I Before E posted:

daaaaaaang, what is that from?

Steranko's S.H.I.E.L.D.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Vincent posted:

The balls on whoever thought to put "copyrighted material" on that must have their own gravitational field.

"[I'm sure it's] copyrighted material [somewhere]."

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I've been reading Dune, it's a book about space politics. It's also surprisingly good. I mean I had always heard it was good, however it always seems hard to gauge that when it comes to sci-fi. I'm also reading it in my favourite format for old sci-fi books, beat up paperbacks with ridiculous covers:

TwistedLadder posted:

There was nerd bitching about Quicksilver? God forbid they include a mutant from the X-men universe in a movie about mutants in the X-men universe.

There has been bitching nonstop about Day of Future Past since the earliest previews, but yeah, at least in the Comic thread me and Lt. Boogeyman have been the only ones thinking Quicksilver the rest looked rad before the film came out.

morestuff posted:

Those are some pretty sweet skeletons.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Hewlett posted:

I could honestly watch the Quicksilver act of DOFP as its own short film.

So The Wizard of Speed and Time?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

wyoming posted:

I'm also reading it in my favourite format for old sci-fi books, beat up paperbacks with ridiculous covers:

Hell yes. There are so many different covers for those books and most of them are amazing. Especially for God Emperor.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

wyoming posted:

I've been reading Dune, it's a book about space politics. It's also surprisingly good. I mean I had always heard it was good, however it always seems hard to gauge that when it comes to sci-fi. I'm also reading it in my favourite format for old sci-fi books, beat up paperbacks with ridiculous covers:

There has been bitching nonstop about Day of Future Past since the earliest previews, but yeah, at least in the Comic thread me and Lt. Boogeyman have been the only ones thinking Quicksilver the rest looked rad before the film came out.

Those are some pretty sweet skeletons.

Dune has been the best selling science fiction novel for decades for a reason.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Saw 2001 for the first time in probably a decade and the second time ever. On the big screen, to boot.

Holy poo poo, you people. Holy poo poo.

The use of sound and silence, the tension, the releases ... gently caress it's still so good.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I just got yelled at by my roommate on Facebook for insinuating that "Ghostbusters is the story of Ray Stanz conquering his inner child by summoning and destroying the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man" is a valid reading of the film, because "Venkman is the character with the most focus". I'm really frustrated because I know there's a really good example of a movie where the "main" character isn't necessarily the one who goes through all of the development, but it's not coming to me. Help me out?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Geekboy posted:

Saw 2001 for the first time in probably a decade the second time ever. On the big screen, to boot.

The use of sound and silence, the tension, the releases ... gently caress it's still so good.
I got it on Blu-Ray a couple years ago but I still haven't watched it. I don't want to watch it again by myself but I haven't found anyone that wants to watch it with me, either. So as a result, I haven't seen that whole movie in almost a decade :smith: Parts on YouTube every now and then, yeah, but it's been a long time since I last saw the whole thing.

I'm glad you got to see it!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Yoshifan823 posted:

So I just got yelled at by my roommate on Facebook for insinuating that "Ghostbusters is the story of Ray Stanz conquering his inner child by summoning and destroying the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man" is a valid reading of the film, because "Venkman is the character with the most focus". I'm really frustrated because I know there's a really good example of a movie where the "main" character isn't necessarily the one who goes through all of the development, but it's not coming to me. Help me out?

I had a friend who used to argue that the main character of Braveheart was Robert The Bruce, not William Wallace.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

Drive him even more insane, because the main character of The Phantom Menace is Jar-Jar Binks.

Edit: For a less incendiary answer, Jack Burton is Wang's sidekick in Big Trouble in Little China.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Vargo posted:

I had a friend who used to argue that the main character of Braveheart was Robert The Bruce, not William Wallace.

Yeah but he had a gross face so it makes sense

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Geekboy posted:

Saw 2001 for the first time in probably a decade and the second time ever. On the big screen, to boot.

2001 has some absolutely glorious use of sound. I cannot imagine what the movie would be like without the classical music.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Yoshifan823 posted:

Blade Runner is arguably much more about Roy Batty than Deckard.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Hewlett posted:

What, you mean this?

PRECISELY!

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Anonymous Robot posted:

Drive him even more insane, because the main character of The Phantom Menace is Jar-Jar Binks.

I posted this. I'm really lucky I'm not seeing him for a few days, because I don't think he's very happy with me right now.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

wyoming posted:

I still think Quicksliver looks a bit silly, but goddamn if he wasn't one of the coolest character I've seen in a Superhero film. I don't even care what he looks like in the next X-Men movie. As long Even Peters keeps owning this role.

Which is funny because I half expected Kick-rear end to be more interesting, not knowing how Singer was going to play him. Kick-rear end is going to be super angsty. Just watch.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

I posted this. I'm really lucky I'm not seeing him for a few days, because I don't think he's very happy with me right now.

For real though, Jar-Jar Binks is the only character that has anything at stake in the plot of Episode I, and he follows the same fish-out-of-water hero's journey as Luke does in the later trilogy.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Yoshifan823 posted:

I'm really frustrated because I know there's a really good example of a movie where the "main" character isn't necessarily the one who goes through all of the development, but it's not coming to me. Help me out?

What about the Dickeye Special? Ferris Bueller.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yoshifan823 posted:

I'm really frustrated because I know there's a really good example of a movie where the "main" character isn't necessarily the one who goes through all of the development, but it's not coming to me. Help me out?

The Dark Knight?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I finally got around to looking up the actors for the mid-credits stinger in Captain America: TWS and was a little disappointed to see Aaron Taylor-Johnson will be Quicksilver and Elizabeth Olsen will be Scarlet Witch in Avengers: Age of Ultron considerng their mixed performances in Godzilla.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

Dune has been the best selling science fiction novel for decades for a reason.

Dune is a book that I used to just leave in my bag when I was in college because if I was bored and didn't have anything else to read on me I could just grab it, open it up, and start reading from anywhere. Dune loving owns.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

timeandtide posted:

I'm 170 pages in right now. I had always assumed Jeffery MacDonald was 100% guilty because I'd only seen the Unsolved Mysteries special on the case, but Morris is definitely convincing me that it at least needs looked at and that his trial was a joke. The military courts repeatedly refused to look at anyone else, his stepfather sounds like a crusading nutcase who would be on a conspiracy forum posting about chemtrails, and they can never explain how it is physically possible for a person to use their own fists to beat themselves up so badly that they nearly die in a hospital; I tried angling some of it myself, and you simply wouldn't be able to punch with much force at yourself from the angles that the book describes.

To me, one of the biggest pieces of evidence only gets brought up once in the book (and I'm fairly certain you're past that point, so forgive me if I er, 'spoil' something), which is that other doctor stating that no medical doctor would stab themselves the way MacDonald did if they intended to live.

Man, wait until you get into all the Helena Stoeckley stuff; and if you think the trial is a joke now...

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
My only complaint about 2001 was that people were eating, fidgeting, and going to get more food constantly.

I now realize it's probably because they were all high as gently caress. Which makes me a little sad because now I want to watch it while I'm high.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I just watched the pilot of Gang Related and I can't exactly say it blew me away. But mostly I'm just wondering if this means the end of RZA's directing career. The Man With the Iron Fists sucked, but it still had a nonzero amount of potential.

Yoshifan823 posted:

City of God, The Great Gatsby, and the Thirteenth Warrior are all films where the main character serves largely as a narrator and other characters go through more development.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

CloseFriend posted:

I just watched the pilot of Gang Related and I can't exactly say it blew me away. But mostly I'm just wondering if this means the end of RZA's directing career. The Man With the Iron Fists sucked, but it still had a nonzero amount of potential.

I have been interested in this show since I first started seeing commercials for it. I mean, Sung Kang, RZA, and Chris Morgan seem like a fun as hell mix.

Speaking of of Wu-Tang. I just finished up More Fish, which puts me at 42 out of 69 albums into my Wu-Tang discography listen through. It is not as bad as I thought it would be. That being said, there are some seriously terrible albums. To counter that though, there are some amazing gems, like Grandmasters, put in the middle of some lovely albums. Also, I never gave RZA's solo albums a chance because everyone says they are terrible, but honestly they are some of the most interesting albums in the entire Wu-Tang catalog even though they miss the mark so often. Also, it is a drat shame that RZA learned music theory, because before he learned proper music theory his beats were so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

Geekboy posted:

My only complaint about 2001 was that people were eating, fidgeting, and going to get more food constantly.

I now realize it's probably because they were all high as gently caress. Which makes me a little sad because now I want to watch it while I'm high.

I was at 70mm screening where a guy had a bad reaction to whatever he was taking and had seizures. Never realized how accurate 'white as a sheet' was.

• Locked thread