Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I've been dougieing for the past fifteen minutes. I can't stop. Tell my wife- YOU AIN'T FUCKIN WITH MY DOUGIE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Fozzy The Bear posted:

These huge outside-the-ufc winning streaks shouldn't be as impressive as people think.

HOW ABOUT MCDONALD, PICKETT, SPOTTY, WINELAND, AND FABER TWICE. JESUS CHRIST WHAT ARE YOU EVEN TALKING ABOUT.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

SHIRTLESS CIRCUS

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I'm not as shocked that TJ won as I am that he dominated the entire fight.

I mean how do you hit a guy that moves like that? Monkey style.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

TJ vs. Michael McDonald is going to happen some day and it is going to rule.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

I'm trying to think of a better fight but that might be the best fight ever.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

God I can't believe that just like 2 years ago TJ was getting his doors blown off by John Dodson.

At the time Dillashaw was really green and I remember a lot of talk before the fight that Dodson might win now because he is more of a finish product (with shitloads of power) but in a year or two...

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
First time since Cruz left that 135 actually has a champ who can fight

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
That was the greatest culmination of a ducking strategy ever. Now Cruz picks up the belt and this poo poo's right back to 2012.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

1st AD posted:

God I can't believe that just like 2 years ago TJ was getting his doors blown off by John Dodson.

to be fair, Dodson is a great fighter himself (but I know you know that). Like if Dodson stepped in there today against Dillashaw I'd give him a shot at beating that TJ, same if Mighty Mouse fought Dillashaw. Those guys are all ridiculously skilled and quick.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo
I checked Dillashaw's record on sherdog because I couldn't remember who he'd fought before...and sherdog has this fight as a loss for him. They just can't believe the TAM curse is over.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I have a group of people over who had never watched UFC before and they loving exploded for Dillashaw's win (and DC bouncing Hendo off the canvas). Christ. I may be stuck hosting these every month from now on.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

NovemberMike posted:

It was one sided as hell. Impressive by Dillashaw but I wouldn't call a fight where one guy is getting the poo poo kicked out of him from start to finish a good fight.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

I still can't believe that TJ was up three rounds,chose to keep standing against barao, and ended up finishing him. That is a seriously rare individual.

Another year
Oct 13, 2011

the mermaid
see
a movie?

Ginette Reno posted:

It was one sided as hell. Impressive by Dillashaw but I wouldn't call a fight where one guy is getting the poo poo kicked out of him from start to finish a good fight.

Keep in mind that a lot of us were going into this seriously thinking that TJ was leaving in a stretcher

e: I thought it was great v:shobon:v

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

@jordanbreen posted:

So, the UFC's new bantamweight champion isn't in their new swaggy video game, huh?

hope this is true.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:

-Atom- posted:

hope this is true.

It is. He'll probably be added in as DLC but...:drat:

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Ginette Reno posted:

Why

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Another year posted:

Keep in mind that a lot of us were going into this seriously thinking that TJ was leaving in a stretcher

I thought Dillashaw might have had a chance to win purely through his wrestling credentials. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine him destroying Barao standing. Really one of the biggest upsets of all time I'd say, simply due to the utter domination.

Seriously, that fight was great. Just because it's one-sided doesn't mean it's not good.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

NovemberMike posted:

There have been fights that have been more entertaining, but I feel like I just watched the first testing of the Manhattan Project

Like, things are different now

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Ginette Reno posted:

Let me put it this way, it's the most perfect fight I've seen. Barao is a true world class fighter and to me he didn't look like he was bad. He was fighting every moment he was there. Dillashaw just did everything better than I've ever seen.

It doesn't have the tension of Hendo vs Shogun but there's something amazing about seeing a performance like that.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
The amount of variety in the UFC's camera angles is really awesome.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I thought this was technically only the interim championship since Cruz hasn't been able to defend in years due to various injuries?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

So

um

Holy poo poo that was one of the best fights I ever witnessed

ps nobody can say one-sided fights don't own now

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
What excuses do you think Barao will come up with?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

-Atom- posted:

hope this is true.

That shouldn't be right since all top 10 ranked guys were supposed to be included. Mike Easton made the cut ffs.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Thauros posted:

I thought this was technically only the interim championship since Cruz hasn't been able to defend in years due to various injuries?

Nah, Cruz officially stepped down iirc.

Mexican Samurai
Nov 12, 2005
Someone pointed out that Dillashaw isn't even in the new EA UFC game. HAHAHAHA!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Ginette Reno posted:

You must be fun to talk about regarding Silva-Sonnen I.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Thauros posted:

Cruz relinquished after his body disintegrated for the millionth time.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Ginette Reno posted:

I agree with you wholeheartedly but context dude, context.

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!
It's great that TJ won with a dominating performance instead of a flash knockout. I don't think anyone expected him to win that way.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Well at least im vindicated in saying all the "Barao is the best p4p fighter in the world" talk was a joke. His striking is so fuckin ugly and one dimensional but he just kept getting the job done, i never thought TJ would be the dude to expose it. that was some of the best striking i've ever seen in MMA i think

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

MagicCube posted:

Cruz relinquished after his body disintegrated for the millionth time.

His body gave up so he gave his soul to TJ.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
TJ is gonna see the smiling ghosts of Cruz, Faber, and Mendes at the party tonight.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
It wasn't just his improved striking, but drat he showed off some great skill in switching stances, feints, and even changing angles on the fly when coming in for exchanges. I've never really seen fighters do that in MMA, and even someone like Cruz just did really weird exaggerated movements whereas Dillashaw was moving really efficaciously.

manyak posted:

First time since Cruz left that 135 actually has a champ who can fight

Barao is still very good and despite his performance I think he'd beat Cruz.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph0eIgdU2Uw

post fight presser link. I am amped for this

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

1st AD posted:

Barao is still very good and despite his performance I think he'd beat Cruz.

even though dillashaw won with a similar style to cruz's, cruz doesn't have the power of dillashaw, so i can definitely see that fight going way different than this one.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

1st AD posted:

It wasn't just his improved striking, but drat he showed off some great skill in switching stances, feints, and even changing angles on the fly when coming in for exchanges. I've never really seen fighters do that in MMA, and even someone like Cruz just did really weird exaggerated movements whereas Dillashaw was moving really efficaciously.

On top of that he had the cardio to keep it up pretty much the entire fight and his wrestling when he needed a breather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

You must be fun to talk about regarding Silva-Sonnen I.

Well yeah if Barao had pulled one out of his rear end in the fifth round that would have changed my perspective on this one, yes.

But even so Dillashaw dominated this one way more than Sonnen did that fight.

-Atom- posted:

I agree with you wholeheartedly but context dude, context.

It was undeniably impressive. Shocking, even. I just don't particularly like completely one sided fights. It's like watching a blowout in [your other sport of choice]. Those aren't particularly fun to me unless they're happening a team or in this case fighter I hate.

• Locked thread