Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeff Clancy
Nov 25, 2007

Dad Jokes posted:

I may have missed it, but what story is the rat a reference to? Googling "nick the rat" doesn't turn anything up.

I'm betting it's Nicodemus from Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Green Intern posted:

So this jerk dragged his wife off to an uninhabited island without telling her that they'd be building their own home. You'd think he'd bring some carpenters or something.

He's just the Ideas Guy!

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Dad Jokes posted:

I may have missed it, but what story is the rat a reference to? Googling "nick the rat" doesn't turn anything up.

again, it's Nicodemus from Mrs Frisby and the rats of NIMH

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Bizarro

Compu-Toon is yesterday's still, and Dilbert's broken today.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Is the "joke" here that Piraro is bitter about being bald or am I missing something?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

The Sphinxster posted:

Is the "joke" here that Piraro is bitter about being bald or am I missing something?

The joke is SELFIES!!!!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The Sphinxster posted:

It's that you've got all these people putting their heads together for camera photos, the lice can go everywhere.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It was actually a real news thing a while ago that there's a rise in head lice among teenagers and young adults since there's a lot more hair-hair contact among those groups than there used to be.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Scary Gary

Cow and Boy

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Shugojin posted:

It was actually a real news thing a while ago that there's a rise in head lice among teenagers and young adults since there's a lot more hair-hair contact among those groups than there used to be.

Oh interesting. Still not funny, but interesting.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Cheap Thrills Cuisine

May 14, 2014

May 21, 2014

A pattern emerges. In the Cheap Thrills universe, food with lots of chopped up ingredients looks way worse in pictures than food with one recognizable main ingredient.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean gives us Les Moore and the Curse of the First Timer.

EasyEW posted:

Les is such a rube that he thinks movie companies film the first submitted draft. :cawg:

I've never had a book published, and yet even I can see how stupid and immature Les is being.

This probably will end with Les giving up and saying "they tried to ruin my perfect cancerwife script! :qq:"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Kennel posted:

Mustapukuinen Mies - A Man in Black

This is like, the platonic ideal of a comic strip.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

My cats slobber on there new ones every time. Enough to cause them to turn green. :barf:

Catnip is some serious poo poo, man. :catdrugs:

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Oh god, that uncomfortable feeling when a dumb comic actually mirrors a thought you've had.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ema Nymton posted:

This probably will end with Les giving up and saying "they tried to ruin my perfect cancerwife script! :qq:"

I know! It's almost like nobody cares about a story of a woman just dying of cancer, or something.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Ema Nymton posted:

I've never had a book published, and yet even I can see how stupid and immature Les is being.

Actually he's going to make some trivial compromises but get ~Lisa's Story~ out there in a big way.

I hate that loving cat. No, not Garfield.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Evil Mastermind posted:

I know! It's almost like nobody cares about a story of a woman just dying of cancer, or something.

But don't you people understand? This is the perfect adaptation of the Funky Winkerbean univ- oh right, when you remember they don't live in a self aware comic strip world he really is just some old goober depressingly writing an autobiographical Lifetime movie of the week, isn't he?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Death Ray posted:

Here's the 2nd newspaper/chapter break from Weapon Brown.

Oooohhhhh, I can't wait 'till the book gets to me!

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Pvt.Scott posted:

So, I'm only vaguely familiar with "It Happened One Night" because while I like me some films, it's been on the list of films to watch one of these days for a lot of days. It sounds like the plot is Girl is going to marry Guy, but Douche detains and terrorizes Girl until she gives in to Douche. Is this one of those things like with the song "Baby, It's Cold Outside,"(a song about feeding a woman alcohol and emotionally manipulating her to gently caress you) where it's a super popular old thing that upon further reflection is actually pretty terrible?

I'm still catching up in the thread, so I don't know if this has been addressed, but I don't remember the movie being anything quite as... rapey as that, thankfully. While it's been a year since I've seen it and my memory isn't perfect, I think it's something like this: Rich Dad wants his sheltered daughter to get married to the guy he's chosen, but she doesn't want to, so she runs away. She buys a bus ticket and on the bus meets Clark Gable, who's a suave, down-on-his-luck con man of sorts. They can hardly stand each other at first, but once he finds out the girl's dad has put a big reward out for her safe return, he starts trying to get her back home while keeping her in the dark about his plan. Then of course they fall in love as they're traveling together, and I won't spoil it beyond that but everybody should watch it.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeah, he doesn't really detain her, they just end up traveling together kinda like an old-timey Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Darker than anything scott Adams ever put in dilbert, drat

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Ema Nymton posted:

The thing is, I assume he's trying to do a :qq:soulless movie studios who're only in it for the money!!:qq: thing, but even then it doesn't make any sense. A movie called "Lust for Lisa" with Les's weepy script intact is just going to (a.) scare away any people who would actually want to watch a generic "inspirational" cancer story like that, and (b.) disappoint anyone who would watch it expecting smut.

What I'm trying to say is, if this studio is supposed to be run by money-hungry sharks who are in it to make a quick buck, they just seem... really stupid. Which means that an awful, incompetently-run studio was the one to buy Les's script, which I guess is the closest this whole dumb story comes to realism!

Nikaer Drekin fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 25, 2014

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Well, that's kind of harsh, Nancy.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Wanamingo posted:

Zippy the Pinhead

You see, it's strips like this that make me hate Zippy.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Cloud nothin', in 34 minutes the moon itself would be in a different place relative to the building.

It's still a clue that makes sense, so add one to the "sensible Inspector Danger" counter.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Yesssss we are officially moments away from getting fully on board Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Very much enjoying this.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Redeye Flight posted:

Yesssss we are officially moments away from getting fully on board Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Very much enjoying this.

Yeah, this story is much more enticing than the previous one for me.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Probably Magic posted:

Honestly, I kinda like it when it's just Griffith venting about stuff that annoys him, but then I have a soft spot for Zippy in general.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Potsticker posted:

Yeah, this story is much more enticing than the previous one for me.

I enjoyed that one, but I was that same nerdy kid once. That was interesting, this looks like a freakin' blast.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Probably Magic posted:

I'm sorry but I think I identify with the joke in the last Zippy panel here more than anything in the newspaper comics ever.

Not recognizing that your TV's bad aspect ratio makes people not look human anymore is the most American thing in the world. "I'm gonna spend $8k on a TV and I'm basically loving blind!"

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dewgy posted:

I'm sorry but I think I identify with the joke in the last Zippy panel here more than anything in the newspaper comics ever.

Not recognizing that your TV's bad aspect ratio makes people not look human anymore is the most American thing in the world. "I'm gonna spend $8k on a TV and I'm basically loving blind!"

I visited my mother and stepfather last summer, and got to see their hdtv in action. He has an irrational loathing of letter and/or pillarboxing, probably along the lines of "we have a wide tv, we need to use all of it!" It drove me up the goddamn wall.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Minimum wage?!?! YES!!!

Rex Morgan MD

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Non Sequitur

Bleh.

Pound sign? Pound sign!? It's called an octothorpe you jack rear end. If you are going to be a curmudgeon at least curmudgeon correctly.

And why can't I use an interobang rather than a !? combo? Stupid iPad.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

It's a good thing Yoshi's Island DS wasn't a console game because it was basically the epitome of this...

Retail

...customer service? We don't do that poo poo here. We don't give a poo poo about customers. The only people we care about are other retail employees. Actually, that's not true either. Let me amend that. We only care about other retail employees who are exactly like ourselves with the correct(TM) opinions.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

First, Star Wars Day, and now this? Bleeker is really up on manufactured dork holidays.

Dustin

I was gonna say the ripped jeans style is years old but I just looked up a couple women's apparel sites and sure enough they still sell them. Ugh.

On the Fastrack

Uh don't they both work directly with the CEO of the company? Like, right outside her room?

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

Yeah, and Willy Wonka said:

“Mr. Wonka: "Don’t forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted."
Charlie Bucket: "What happened?"
Mr. Wonka: "He lived happily ever after.”

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

The answer posted:

The only way the grandkids would know the can contained oatmeal cookies is if they opened it. And after opening it, they could not resist eating them. The grandkids confessed and apologized to Nana Goat.

Slylock Fox

You know, I'm kinda curious how this keeps happening. Did Slylock and Max go over to Weirdly's dungeon of horrors one day and Weirdly welcomed them in as guests and invited them to sit down and served them a couple glasses of lemonade? And then Slylock and Max drank it? Again? I'm really starting to question Slylock's claims to super sleuth cunning here.

Kinda really disappointed Moose and Molly did such a generic mother-in-law joke. Also that guy looks like Jack. If it was, and Jack finally got hitched, I think that would've been a far more interesting development.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 25, 2014

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Minimum wage?!?! YES!!!
I don't know, I think when a guy with that mustache says that he "can be generous in other ways," an ex-con might have good reason to be a little hesitant.

...aw, who am I kidding? The guy owns a sandwich shop that earned the Wilbur Weston seal of approval! He could never do anything wrong or weird, he's basically a god!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

You know, this guy has a hell of an office for a sandwich shop.

Rex Morgan MD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Midnight Moth posted:

Slylock Fox

You know, I'm kinda curious how this keeps happening. Did Slylock and Max go over to Weirdly's dungeon of horrors one day and Weirdly welcomed them in as guests and invited them to sit down and served them a couple glasses of lemonade? And then Slylock and Max drank it? Again? I'm really starting to question Slylock's claims to super sleuth cunning here.
Maybe it's a game. "Good evening, guests! At some point this evening, I will drug you and transport you to a far off locale! Or possibly my holodeck. Hopefully it'll take you at least five minutes to tell which this time!"

• Locked thread