Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

xZAOx posted:

You guys make me wish I was at raid level. I'm not the best raider ever or anything, but holy poo poo. I pull in Sky on P99, and back during WoW I was near the top of the charts for my 25 man guild, even though my spec wasn't the strongest. MMOs aren't that though. Just move around while press botanz, listen to raid leaders. Everyone fucks up some, but geez.

The most fun part of raiding is the :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
You see, the thing about raiding in Everquest is that you get the sensation of accomplishment as you finally beat an event with your gu-

MrTheDevious posted:

The most fun part of raiding is the :smug:

Haha, nah, its this.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
When we beat the Plane of War raid there is going to be such a huge cloud of smug hovering over my house and I just won't give a gently caress.

Node fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 20, 2014

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

The best thing about raiding in Everquest is curbstomping open zone trash that kills other groups. Oh your group just wiped to this guy? Here, I'll solo it for you.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

I made a girl quit the guild/game by doing that once :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog:

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
I wish I had the time to get Zapzan up to raid level to see some of the content on test. Then again 85 to 100 probably isn't that bad :iiam:

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

It's fast as hell these days! It'd be awesome to have Zapzan rocking again :black101:

Viivac
Jan 5, 2005

I need a cheaper hobby
I just logged into the game for the first time in like forever. Would anyone of you very nice chaps have some plat on Test? I got a 68 Necro by name of Omegabones, who seems to be a bit on the poor side.

Any help would be apprechiated. :)

Edit: Where is the best place for a necro to molo at 68?

Viivac fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 20, 2014

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I can send you some money this after noon. Plane of fire might be good.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...

MrTheDevious posted:

It's fast as hell these days! It'd be awesome to have Zapzan rocking again :black101:

Any tricks other than grinding dailies? Any good camping spots?

Viivac
Jan 5, 2005

I need a cheaper hobby

darkhand posted:

I can send you some money this after noon. Plane of fire might be good.
Thanks. :) I'll try PoF. What about WoS tho?

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Viivac posted:

Thanks. :) I'll try PoF. What about WoS tho?

POF mobs drop faster so the xp is really nice.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Fire also has a massive zone xp modifier. There's no better xp in the game than PoFire at any level.

@Zapzan, HoT leveling until 93-95, never step foot into VoA, then RoF. RoF's quest chains give insane xp, so just start in SL and work you way through them. I can come destroy the group missions for you on Kod once you get to them. Finishing SL alone gives like 25% of a level just from the Partisan reward. I started RoF the minute I hit 96 and was 100 before I finished the 2nd T1 zone's quests between freebie xp and grinding/bullshitting with Stanos. Especially with the free 5k AA you get on Test now, it goes REALLY fast.

If you make the run to Sanctum Somnium in HoT, go all the way east to the far wall in the big, obvious courtyard. It's 100% safe camp and SS xp is ludicrous from 85-95. We were killing 90-100 mobs per Lesson by the time we left. Once you hit 95 you can join my guild and leech from the groups doing HAs or whatever, too. If Wiji and I both tell everyone to invite you, you'll get an invite :colbert:

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

You should do HAs at 90+. You get amazing gear, can buy a bunch of old augs and some new ones. Join any group that is looking for DPS. Use copied Zimbabwe plat to buy level 90 armor, or beg for it, don't spend marks on it. Use your marks for the lvl100 gear/augs/weapons.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

darkhand posted:

Haha I just thought about it but you guys raid less hours than us:psyduck:. Casual guild my rear end.

Well, after 7 hours today, our total hours this week is 9.5. How close is that to your total raid hours a week?

darkhand posted:

The way our guild functions, you'd think casters couldn't move at all, just stay rooted to the banner while auras, rampages, and whatever else just comes flying at them. They just stand valiantly casting until they die, or miraculously the boss falls over from attrition.

ABC Always be casting

That's actually what I tell people to get their cast parses up and be more useful.

It assumes that they aren't complete poo poo at everquest and can avoid dying to stupid poo poo like wild ramp or being thrown into lava. Since being dead prevents any further casting.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

jetz0r posted:

Well, after 7 hours today, our total hours this week is 9.5. How close is that to your total raid hours a week?

I need to plan out release days better. I woke up at 9am, figuring we'd get someone to be able to request the raid within an hour or two, then beat the raid after a couple attempts. NOPE

I went about ten hours on two Mountain Dews, a granola bar, and no shower.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Is it just the one new zone? And I assume one associated raid and mission?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Chum Scandal posted:

Is it just the one new zone? And I assume one associated raid and mission?

Yes to all of those.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

saintonan posted:

Yes to all of those.

Two missions. One easy one and a very overtuned one.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Oops, you're right. I was thinking HA and not mission.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

We raid 9ish hours every week, killing like 6 events.

Grants to y'all again, that shield is sick.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm not good at computers and I keep getting a socket read error when I try to update EQ. Any ideas/suggestions?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Try it again in a couple hours. I had to repair a bunch of stuff tonight when I got home and my replacement laptop was here and I got the same thing for a while. I think it's a server issue, not yours

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I finally fixed the broken color picker window in ZlizUI, plus a few minor patch updates:

http://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=6417

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
When is Tani N'Marr gonna drop the loving bottom half of that note? :-)

Edit: What is the repop time on mobs in Hate? I don't mind making a sneak-thief go at it, but I do have an 85 SK that could clear the way.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 24, 2014

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

DerekSmartymans posted:

Edit: What is the repop time on mobs in Hate? I don't mind making a sneak-thief go at it, but I do have an 85 SK that could clear the way.

Just kill everything, it's the EverQuest way.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

DerekSmartymans posted:

If you have a 100 you can just PP until he gets mad, escape then kill the thing to repop him. He's got a decently fast respawn. I dunno if an 85 sk can kill him, he's got some goofy rear end regen and he's a trainer so you know it's gonna be a long slog of a fight.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
Just found out you cannot do a /testcopy of a heroic character. Before I delete him, which being bought with SC I can remake if needed, can you actually make new heroic characters on the test server if your account is flagged for one?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Bahanahab posted:

Just found out you cannot do a /testcopy of a heroic character. Before I delete him, which being bought with SC I can remake if needed, can you actually make new heroic characters on the test server if your account is flagged for one?

You can make one on test, but you can't copy one from live because they don't want you to be able to keep deleting and testcopying a full account worth of heroic characters for the price of one.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

jetz0r posted:

Just kill everything, it's the EverQuest way.

No need. Took four days of logging in occasionally and picking him dry, but not only did he never aggro he finally gave up the note. I know that none of the others will help him if he does, but I didn't want to fight him (my rogue is only 51) and it all worked out. Now for Hate!

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Does anyone happen to have some Glowing Dreadmotes that they would be willing to sell? Thalyn is just about to hit 100... finally.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

I've got at least a couple, maybe a full set, on Kodaji that you can just have. I'll parcel them to you tomorrow when I log on pre-raid if I remember, otherwise if you're online from 5-12 or so CST tomorrow send me a tell or ask in goonchat and I'll pop a banker and send em. If I don't have enough, darkhand can embezzle you some from the guild bank mule probably.

Pre-grats on the 100 finally! If you wanna raid, darkhand and I can jump you in (blood in, blood out bitch), otherwise I can log in my necro sometime soon and show you all the coolest places :krakentoot:

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Awesome, thanks Kodaji!

Escape_GOAT fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 26, 2014

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
Are beastlord's wanted at all for raiding, or is it worth it to just invest time in another dps class?

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Bahanahab posted:

Are beastlord's wanted at all for raiding, or is it worth it to just invest time in another dps class?

Ferocity still really wanted isn't it?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Every raid wants one per melee group, for RF. Beyond that they don't stack very well at all. If you just have one in the raid for SE/Fero/melee support, you're still in decent shape.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
What is the current group make up of raids? It's been a decade since I even thought about raiding in EQ.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Bahanahab posted:

What is the current group make up of raids? It's been a decade since I even thought about raiding in EQ.

This is a really short quick and dirty that leaves out a lot of things and has lots of exceptions. Group makeup varies widely between guilds, and changes sometimes based on the fight, but essentially:

WAR, SK, PAL, TANK, SHM, CLR
TANK, TANK, TANK, TANK, CLR, BRD
MNK, BER, BST, ROG, SHM, BRD
MELEE, MELEE, MELEE, MELEE, SHM, BRD
WIZ, WIZ, WIZ, WIZ, ENC, DRU
MAG, MAG, MAG, MAG, DRU, BRD
NEC, NEC, NEC, WIZ, ENC, HEAL
CAST, CAST, CAST, CAST, ENC, HEAL

TANK is either WAR/SK/PAL, MELEE is MNK/ROG/RNG/BER/BST, HEAL is CLR/DRU/SHM, CAST is WIZ/MAG, with possible rare exceptions for NEC/ENC. Bards can help any group but work best with tank and melee dps groups (and magicians by extension, especially if pet tanking is part of the fight).

The rest of the groups are thrown together based on turnout. Wizards and Magicians stack endlessly. If you have good necros, you can have no more than three of them in the raid because having 4+ runs you into debuff stacking limitations. Berserkers *require* support (SHM/BRD/BST) to put up good numbers. Melee in general work best with Shaman with epic 2.0 done. Enchanters, druids, and beastlords are support classes, you need to have at least one of them, but if you only have one you're not as crippled as you'd be, say, with only one wizard, shaman, or cleric. Tanks are more or less interchangeable depending on talent level; paladins are often reappropriated to heal/cure duty.

Only a few guilds serverwide can actually recruit to fill these ideals - the rest mold their raid around who their best players are and make sure the groups are set up so those players can carry the raid as much as possible.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ideally, every Shm/Bard has 2.0 done and if I were in charge, that'd be a guild invite requirement. Same with SKs and Necros. You need those 2.0s to fulfill your raid duties, period. They take all of a couple hours at this point and there's no excuse for not having them done. I went from nothing to full 2.0 on my Necro in one Saturday. Shm doesn't take a lot longer, and bard/SK are dirt easy these days at the mercy of semi-rare spawns/drops.

That said, I'd swap the CLR to Bard in the first group unless you're so massively geared you're somehow hitting the diminishing returns of AC against the raid mobs you're fighting as a tank (You're not). The Shm can handle the oh poo poo moments in group fine without the cleric actually being in the group. Tank clerics can do their entire job from outside the group unless they're just bad. The bard's utility for tanks is vastly understated imo. I leveled/geared/AAd one to 100 just so I could insist on having him in group. I'd honestly rather have a bard in my group as a tank than a shaman, and absolutely instead of the cleric. I'd imagine the other tank classes whose survivability isn't based around their damage output might feel differently, though?

Rest of the groups I agree with totally, though I'm confused why you'd want all the necros to have a healer instead of a bard who cranks their dps pretty drat high while they can lifetap/RB. I don't raid on my necro tho, so just curious since I've seen how much dps my bard adds to my necro and how sustainable my necro is.

Also disagree that tanks are interchangeable these days. It was almost too-true for a long time...I was very frequently a better tank than a warrior for a long time, and regardless we were on-par. They've solidly fixed warriors though IMO and they're always a better choice to tank the big hitters than knights. I also feel the knight role's been pretty well defined, though. I'm happy serving as offtank/indestructible oh-poo poo MT/GET THESE ADDS HANDLED NOW tank as an SK because I do that MUCH better than warriors can, but Wiji/Ffalin can absolutely handle sustained high damage for long periods of time far better than my SK can. Maybe if your tanks all vastly outgear the content you're fighting, tank classes are equal, but if you're in T1-T2 RoF gear fighting T2 RoF encounters like we are, warriors destroy knights now as far as just eating massive damage.

TL,DR: saintonan's main point, that nobody except RoI/MS,etc can recruit to the ideal, is exactly right. You do have to build around your strongest players. In our case, our tanks are our strongest by far, so the novel I just wrote is based around assuming your guild progresses (or doesn't) based on how well you optimize your tank lineup while understanding DPS will be vastly subpar and healing likely will, too. Also, bards are the best objective class because every group wants one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

I have a cleric in the tank group because the aura adds ~10k hp. Otherwise I don't have a lot to add to your post. Our necros hate to RB since it apparently fucks with their dot rotation, but I don't raid on a necro either so who knows. Our necros are kind of a weird bunch.