Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

ronya posted:

wait, what are the problems with the gcse/gce that call for a single exam board

putting aside the point that the hullabaloo over what would go into the single exam would be completely impossible to navigate

competition between exam boards leads to a race to the bottom, not any improvement. other similar countries manage fine with one public exam board. scotland for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ronya posted:

The difficulty is tied to the expected length of answers; as a three-hour paper (36 minutes each), I think 2 to 2.5 pages per question would be about reasonable. The point is not to sketch one or two paragraphs, certainly.

That's also not changed. Every exam i've taken from 1995 to 2007, which has required essay form answers, has required at least three 1500-2000 word responses in just 3ish hours.

It's why i loved my math ones because while there were more questions to answer, if you knew the stuff you could just rattle it out without a care for sentence structure or conveying a message or any other "proper essay" stuff which ate up exam time. You just sat down and worked out the problems. In most of those exams I managed to leave early but i always felt rushed and pressured trying to regurgitate stuff into the essay based ones in a coherent manner.

edit: Essay based exams are the worse loving thing out there. I mean, I've never encountered a situation where I've had to put together a thorough multi-page document on a complex subject in the same conditions that are present in an exam, i.e. alone, in limited time without any resources to help you at all.

Kin fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 25, 2014

bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

ceci n'est pas un presentateur

ThomasPaine posted:

It is technically correct that they're British in the sense that Ireland is part of the British isles, regardless of the fact that it's a politically loaded term and few in the south/many in the north wouldn't consider themselves such.

It's called the Atlantic Archipelago.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

ronya posted:

I have no doubt the exams were harder, but I cannot see a return to its particular brand of hardness

in any case OCR sets the GCEs and GCSEs for Singapore right now, and they're certainly harder than they are in the UK, so it's not as if the boards can't do it if there is demand for it

The questions are actually fine if you get past the outdated way they're written. And the current affairs bits obviously look difficult because they're no longer current. I really like the idea of a single 'general education' paper like this, not asking for a huge amount of specific revisions but relying on broad awareness of the world and critical ability. (And yes, a current affairs section in general would be great!)

bob holness paradox posted:

Says absolutely no one ever. I'm not saying you're wrong, and I'm sure that's the name amongst professional geographers, but 'British Isles' is accepted and used more widely. That in itself makes it probably the more valid term, at least to the general public.

Kin posted:

edit: Essay based exams are the worse loving thing out there. I mean, I've never encountered a situation where I've had to put together a thorough multi-page document on a complex subject in the same conditions that are present in an exam, i.e. alone, in limited time without any resources to help you at all.

I usually can't stand memes, but I'll make an exception for this one because of how ridiculous the whole system is:

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 25, 2014

bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

Says absolutely no one ever. I'm not saying you're wrong, and I'm sure that's the name amongst professional geographers, but 'British Isles' is accepted and used more widely. That in itself makes it probably the more valid term, at least to the general public.

The general public in the UK or in the Republic of Ireland?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Hmmm...

Wikipedia posted:

British Isles
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Atlantic Archipelago)

Sure, why not.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Are you sure Ireland isn't part of the Malvinas? :can:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

The general public in the UK or in the Republic of Ireland?

I think every general public everywhere ever.

bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

SybilVimes posted:

Hmmm...

Sure, why not.

Yes, why not

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles_naming_dispute

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I doesn't matter what the islands are called. British has only ever been used to refer to a citizen of the UK, absolutely nothing else.

If you do decide to call an Irish person British in the mistaken belief that you're "technically" correct, and thus somehow immune to the ensuing shitstorm 100% guaranteed to be heading your way... can you at least make sure someone's filming it for youtube? I could do with a good laugh.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I find exams like that fairly annoying in their abstractness. In the real world when are you required to use 3 hours to write an essay for 5 different topics with absolutely no references allowed? When else do you have to relentlessly re-read older stuff for a brief moment where you are forced to regurgitate it in a pre-approved format?

It's absurd, in a real world situation you always have reference materials, books, computers, you have co-workers, friends, consultants, you collaborate, you do research. In reality you solve problems and bring together many more sources than you could reliably memorise to create a robust work. Rarely, if ever, will you just regurgitate the last few weeks of stressful forced memorisation.

On the bright side we have generations of people who have been certified as good exam passers and trivial fact rememberers. If aliens invaded and made us write about 5 disparate topics in essay form in a sterilised room or risk disintegration we're lucky because a fair few of us should make it.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

tooterfish posted:

If you do decide to call an Irish person British in the mistaken belief that you're "technically" correct, and thus somehow immune to the ensuing shitstorm 100% guaranteed to be heading your way... can you at least make sure someone's filming it for youtube? I could do with a good laugh.

You're missing the point. No one is suggesting anyone does this because we're all aware that whichever way you slice it it is a politically loaded term. Someone asked for any argument that could define an Irish person as British, and we've provided one, that's all. While legitimate, it's pedantic and abstract as arguments go, and anyone would be an idiot bring it up in a real discussion as anything more than that.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Xachariah posted:

I find exams like that fairly annoying in their abstractness. In the real world when are you required to use 3 hours to write an essay for 5 different topics with absolutely no references allowed? When else do you have to relentlessly re-read older stuff for a brief moment where you are forced to regurgitate it in a pre-approved format?

It's absurd, in a real world situation you always have reference materials, books, computers, you have co-workers, friends, consultants, you collaborate, you do research. In reality you solve problems and bring together many more sources than you could reliably memorise to create a robust work. Rarely, if ever, will you just regurgitate the last few weeks of stressful forced memorisation.

On the bright side we have generations of people who have been certified as good exam passers and trivial fact rememberers. If aliens invaded and made us write about 5 disparate topics in essay form in a sterilised room or risk disintegration we're lucky because a fair few of us should make it.

Once upon a time I would have agreed with you, but the more I come across people in the working world I do think there's value in making sure you know key information and arguments without looking them up each time.

Not that an essay writing exam actually does that.

bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

You're missing the point. No one is suggesting anyone does this because we're all aware that whichever way you slice it it is a politically loaded term. Someone asked for any argument that could define an Irish person as British, and we've provided one, that's all. While legitimate, it's pedantic and abstract as arguments go, and anyone would be an idiot bring it up in a real discussion as anything more than that.

It's only legitimate if you view 'British Isles' as a valid term that is not contested by the Republic of Ireland and its citizens. It doesn't matter if you're happy to not make the argument to an Irish person if you still think it's correct.

You're not technically correct that Irish people are British if Ireland doesn't recognise the isles as being British, and Irish people refuse to identify as such.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I like essay based exams because I am a good writer.

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

It's only legitimate if you view 'British Isles' as a valid term that is not contested by the Republic of Ireland and its citizens.

It's only legitimate if you redefine the meaning of the word British. The republic is neither a part of the United Kingdom, or the Island of Britain. It's citizens aren't from the island of Britain, or the United Kingdom. The Island may or may not be a part of the British Isles, depending on who you ask, but the people aren't the loving Island. Jesus.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Sri.Theo posted:

Once upon a time I would have agreed with you, but the more I come across people in the working world I do think there's value in making sure you know key information and arguments without looking them up each time.

Why?

No one knows everything. You continue to learn throughout your life so there's plenty if time to learn all those key facts. As a teacher I want to inspire children to want to continue learning and give them the skills to do so, not just get them through the next set of meaningless tests.

I'm 38 and I couldn't tell you from memory anything about Thomas Hardy, despite having read him for GCSE. I do know that should it come up and I needed to know about him that I could find out the facts and organise, prioritise and present them.

I've actually encountered this problem. I had to teach poetry to children. I have absolutely no knowledge of poetry. So I hopped on the Internet and do the required research. And voila, I'm teaching poetry at the right level and no one knew that 24 hours beforehand I knew less than nothing.

Learning is not what it used to be, we just haven't told the politicians and they expect children to sit outdated tests and then bemoan their passing them.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

cormac posted:

It's only legitimate if you redefine the meaning of the word British. The republic is neither a part of the United Kingdom, or the Island of Britain. It's citizens aren't from the island of Britain, or the United Kingdom. The Island may or may not be a part of the British Isles, depending on who you ask, but the people aren't the loving Island. Jesus.

Aren't they?

Is someone identifying as Boston Irish still Irish?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

ThomasPaine posted:

Aren't they?

If you read the Scottish Independence thread you'll already know that the answer is yes, and suggesting otherwise is racist.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Sri.Theo posted:

I'd agree on the value in knowing key information and arguments, yes -- stuff like having to rote-memorise quotations when you already know the gist of the argument, no.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Kin posted:

That would be why you prepare the essays before the exam.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Zohar posted:

I'd agree on the value in knowing key information and arguments, yes -- stuff like having to rote-memorise quotations when you already know the gist of the argument, no.

I* have to teach five year olds to memorise and "properly" recite poetry. And you know that I'm not talking the Michael Rosen or Roger McGough poems that children love.

*i say 'I' but in truth I teach 7-11. My KS1 colleagues have the joy of teaching poetry by rote. The rote learning continues in KS2, but they can read well enough that you just have to tell them to learn it themselves over the weekend. Still loving pointless.

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

ThomasPaine posted:

Aren't they?

People can self-identify as whatever they want, it's none of my business. I don't get to decide.

What I object to, is someone else deciding for me that, regardless of my own feelings on the matter, or our near century of independence, or the actual meaning of words, I and everyone else in Ireland, are, somehow, still British.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Chris de Sperg posted:

Ah yes I remember the last time I had a job where I had to write essays the day before and then attempt to remember them and put it down while I'm alone in a barren locked room.

:confused:

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

cormac posted:

People can self-identify as whatever they want, it's none of my business. I don't get to decide.

What I object to, is someone else deciding for me that, regardless of my own feelings on the matter, or our near century of independence, or the actual meaning of words, I and everyone else in Ireland, are, somehow, still British.

Wait Ireland's not part of England?

When did this happen?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

If you read the Scottish Independence thread you'll already know that the answer is yes, and suggesting otherwise is racist.

You're right that they're still culturally derived from Irish (with huge influences from the US). I'd dispute the idea that they're still politically Irish or the idea that they have any right to interfere in Irish political matters. They're a mongrel culture with a significant element of that drawn from Irish culture, but they're not 'Irish' in any meaningful sense.

What I was actually getting at is it's wrong to suggest that 'Irish' in strict sense is an ethnicity, rather it's a political identification dependent upon usual residency in Ireland. So, kind of the opposite of racism as I'm actively disputing the value of any ethnic dimension towards self-identity.

e: I use 'mongrel culture' without any negative connotation - we're all mongrel cultures when it comes down to it.

cormac posted:

I see what you're saying but I don't think you're seeing this from my perspective. Yes, it would be difficult to consider an Irishman (from the republic at least) 'British' on a cultural/political level if not impossible. On a purely neutral geographical level though, it is possible. Of course, the geographic term in itself could reflect a wider political context but in a way that it the point. While 'British Isles' remains in common use, it is absolutely possible to consider an Irish person British in that they are an inhabitant of the geograhic British Isles. You might dispute the appropriateness of this, but it works under its own internal logic. I'm not saying that's a good thing, or a bad thing, only that it's true, and because of the general acceptance of the term 'British isles' in the UK/rest of the world many would be baffled by an aggressive reaction to it. As a result, flipping your poo poo, even to an Englishman, is never helpful. Calmly explaining why you feel it is inappropriate is far better. And of course, encouraging an alternative designation for the archipelago might well be a good plan as a more neutral term would remove the semantic disconnect here.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 25, 2014

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Chris de Sperg posted:

It's good that you somehow end up in classes where you'not only been given the exact questions before the exam, but have also been allowed to bring in your pre-prepared notes/essays to the exam.

Most of the rest of us didn't.

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

ThomasPaine posted:

You're right that they're still culturally derived from Irish (with huge influences from the US). I'd dispute the idea that they're still politically Irish or the idea that they have any right to interfere in Irish political matters. They're a mongrel culture with a significant element of that drawn from Irish culture, but they're not 'Irish' in any meaningful sense.

You don't get to decide these things.

ThomasPaine posted:

What I was actually getting at is it's wrong to suggest that 'Irish' in strict sense is an ethnicity,

I never once mentioned ethnicity.

ThomasPaine posted:

rather it's a political identification dependent upon usual residency in Ireland.

So Roy Keane isn't Irish any more then? I'll let you tell him.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
There are other words, I don't mind calling myself a Mongrel,
however, I'd hesitate to apply that to a large group of people, try "Hybrid", or "people of diverse ancestry".

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Xachariah posted:

Ah yes I remember the last time I had a job where I had to write essays the day before and then attempt to remember them and put it down while I'm alone in a barren locked room.

:confused:
I remember the last time I had a job where I had to research and prepare things beforehand and be able to talk about those things later without having to go look all of them up again. The essay exam system clearly isn't perfect but I feel like you're being somewhat disingenuous with regards to how it correlates to real-world situations.

Kin posted:

It's good that you somehow end up in classes where you'not only been given the exact questions before the exam, but have also been allowed to bring in your pre-prepared notes/essays to the exam.

Most of the rest of us didn't.
Go through past exam papers, find common themes, make plans, memorise plans, key points, names, quotations, and so on. It's not as complex or difficult as you'd think.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

cormac posted:

You don't get to decide these things.

Why not? You're suggesting that every person who self identifies as 'Irish' in the whole world should be accepted as a member of that political community and entitled to vote etc? Clearly that's a ridiculous idea.

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

Seriously? Well, for the same reason that the BNP or UKIP don't get to decide who's really British.

ThomasPaine posted:

You're suggesting that every person who self identifies as 'Irish' in the whole world should be accepted as a member of that political community and entitled to vote etc? Clearly that's a ridiculous idea.
Citizenship and identity aren't the same thing.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo
Anyone who spoiled their vote in my ward very nearly let in a kipper.

Labour ended up beating the kipper to the seat by 8 votes. Thankfully I persuaded most of my family to vote labour to keep UKIP out. It's me, I saved my ward.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

ThomasPaine posted:

Why not? You're suggesting that every person who self identifies as 'Irish' in the whole world should be accepted as a member of that political community and entitled to vote etc? Clearly that's a ridiculous idea.

Hyperbole much?

It's always amusing to watch Brits succumb to their inherent desire to tell others what/who they are.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Chris de Sperg posted:

I remember the last time I had a job where I had to research and prepare things beforehand and be able to talk about those things later without having to go look all of them up again. The essay exam system clearly isn't perfect but I feel like you're being somewhat disingenuous with regards to how it correlates to real-world situations.

Go through past exam papers, find common themes, make plans, memorise plans, key points, names, quotations, and so on. It's not as complex or difficult as you'd think.

Your work place didn't allow you to bring in notes when giving a presentation or attending a meeting? Seems excessively strict. I'm not denying that there are some aspects to the process which are beneficial such as knowing how to properly research and prepare yourself for a range of questions on a subject if you've been warned in advance, but largely it prepares you for situations that have a collection of restrictions which are extremely uncommon.

When we already have coursework and class presentations exams are a strange exercise to determine the other half of your grade, considering that it is far, far less applicable than the other two situations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

cormac posted:

Seriously? Well, for the same reason that the BNP or UKIP don't get to decide who's really British.

Citizenship and identity aren't the same thing.

You're right, they're not the same thing, but they are very much connected. Identity of some sort is a pre-requisite for citizenship, and citizenship reinforces identity.

And I'm not trying to argue about who is 'really Irish' because that doesn't make any sense. The point I'm making is that immigrant cultures are by necessity different to those of their ancestral homeland. You take culture A and mix it with culture B, and you're going to get culture C. As a result you cease to be culture A but something entirely new.

Maintaining aspects of culture A isn't the problem, the issue I have is when people assume that any percieved affinity here grants them political legitimacy. I get incredibly irritated when people living abroad get involved in political matters they have no right to based on a conflation of political and cultural identity. The Americans who used (still do?) send money to the IRA, people getting involved in the Scottish referendum debate despite living in Canada etc etc. That's not to say people can't have an opinion on events, but they shouldn't frame it in terms of national identity/solidarity.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

It's always amusing to watch Brits succumb to their inherent desire to tell others what/who they are.

Only I'm not doing that, I'm just highlighting that culture has to change and adapt based on the context it finds itself in. And you ascribing an 'inherent desire' based on a cultural/ethnic/national (I don't know which you're going for) identification is pretty loving troubling.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 25, 2014

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

ThomasPaine posted:

Only I'm not doing that, I'm just highlighting that culture has to change and adapt based on the context it finds itself in. And you ascribing an 'inherent desire' based on a cultural/ethnic/national (I don't know which you're going for) identification is pretty loving troubling.

I don't think any plastic paddy has ever thought about voting rights in Ireland. You were being ridiculous; and denying that the British/English culture/nation has a proclivity towards dominating and controlling others flies in the face of history, reality, the last several hundred pages of this thread, and the current elections going on in your country.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

What if you just cant handwrite very well? They are meant to be a test of what you have learnt not how quick you can write. Personally im bricking it for next week, ive got 3, all handwritten. I cant do joined up and i print slowly. Everything should be 100% coursework, exams are stupid. Especially stupid with computer code, in real life when would anyone ever handwrite code without access to the net and an ide for syntax.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Seaside Loafer posted:

What if you just cant handwrite very well? They are meant to be a test of what you have learnt not how quick you can write. Personally im bricking it for next week, ive got 3, all handwritten. I cant do joined up and i print slowly. Everything should be 100% coursework, exams are stupid. Especially stupid with computer code, in real life when would anyone ever handwrite code without access to the net and an ide for syntax.
You're a Sussex CS student, right?

The code exams are a piece of piss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

ThomasPaine posted:

And I'm not trying to argue about who is 'really Irish' because that doesn't make any sense.

Ummm

ThomasPaine posted:

They're a mongrel culture with a significant element of that drawn from Irish culture, but they're not 'Irish' in any meaningful sense.

Ok

ThomasPaine posted:

On a purely neutral geographical level though, it is possible.

Only if you redefine the meaning of the word "British". The word "British" refers to the island of Britain, which Ireland isn't a part of, or to the United Kingdom, which the Republic of Ireland also isn't a part of.

The name of the archipelago on which we live is irrelevant.

ThomasPaine posted:

While 'British Isles' remains in common use, it is absolutely possible to consider an Irish person British in that they are an inhabitant of the geograhic British Isles.

See above.

ThomasPaine posted:

because of the general acceptance of the term 'British isles' in the UK/rest of the world many would be baffled by an aggressive reaction to it.

People in the UK would be baffled by an Irish person objecting to being described as British?

Are you serious?

• Locked thread