Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

coyo7e posted:

And Ravenous loving rules. Guy Pearce isn't even the best or most recognizable actor, you've got Jeffry Jones (Ferris Bueller's principal), David Arguette, and Robert Carlyle, as well. A really wild and funny horror movie with an interesting mythic premise, and all the actors really seemed to put some heart into their roles. I have watched this one a few times and always been pleased.

The score to Ravenous is also incredible. It's by minimalist composer (and sometimes film composer, like of The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover) Michael Nyman, and also Damon Albarn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
I watched Ravenous Friday night, and it's one of the weirdest loving movies I've ever seen. That's a compliment.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I am watching it right now and trying not to get distracted by this thread.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Thanks to the guy who mentioned Devils Pass, really enjoyed it! Love found footage films, and snow, and discovering of caves/tunnels so a big hit with me.

What are some other good subterranean moves (like the descent[s]) there's something about caves/tunnels that are creepy in of themselves.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

There's a documentary added recently called Dark Girls that's seriously :smith: but good. The scene with the dark skinned little girl pointing to the white girl as the pretty and smart girl and the dark girl as the ugly and stupid girl is so upsetting.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
Ravenous has an amazing soundtrack.

PaleBlueDot
Feb 13, 2012

All the way from
Transylvania

simosimo posted:

What are some other good subterranean moves (like the descent[s]) there's something about caves/tunnels that are creepy in of themselves.

You should check out The Tunnel. It's a pretty good subterranean found-footage film, it has a bit more pathos than your average found footage fare, and I like how they portray the monster. The people who made the film is also distributing it for free online, so if nothing else you can't beat the price.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SmokaDustbowl posted:

The compositions are fantastic on their own, but the way the movie uses them just takes it to a whole other level.

-haunting, intense music as poo poo Goes Down-

"...run!"

-man flees for his life in terror as chipper, upbeat violin music plays-

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic

SmokaDustbowl posted:

It is my second favorite movie soundtrack. The first being Candyman, which is also on Netflix. I recommend both of these movies based solely on the music used in the films.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Is there any good way to look for only things that are free for Prime members on Amazon Instant Video? My Netflix is gone until I can pay for it again and it's really frustrating to find AIV stuff listed as "episodes from $0.00" only for those free things to be no more than previews.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

LivesInGrey posted:

Is there any good way to look for only things that are free for Prime members on Amazon Instant Video? My Netflix is gone until I can pay for it again and it's really frustrating to find AIV stuff listed as "episodes from $0.00" only for those free things to be no more than previews.

Yeah, there should be a button marked "prime movies" or something similar.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Yeah, anything under the "Prime Instant Video" category is free to Prime subscribers.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Just realized that I have an Amazon Prime membership. Anything on there for free that's a must see? And is there any instantwatcher-like website for it?

Hannibal is on there, watch that.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Anyone got a good list of "found footage" horror or suspense available? I've probably seen a lot but I'd like to see some more.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

simosimo posted:

Thanks to the guy who mentioned Devils Pass, really enjoyed it! Love found footage films, and snow, and discovering of caves/tunnels so a big hit with me.

Not a movie, but you would definitely be into this page: http://www.angelfire.com/trek/caver/

It's a really old website-journal thing (as you can tell from the angelfire link) but very much worth it. It gets very creepy and scary. Someone posted it here on the forums awhile ago.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Admin Understudy posted:

It is my second favorite movie soundtrack. The first being Candyman, which is also on Netflix. I recommend both of these movies based solely on the music used in the films.

I'll second Candyman for the soundtrack. American Horror Story used a song from it in their second season and it took me a minute to realize why I loved that scene so much.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Just watched 100 Bloody Acres based only on the fact that it was a horror movie and was highly rated on InstantWatcher. I loved it! I will say that I enjoy horror but I'm not super well versed in it, so maybe this movie was more derivative than I could tell, but I thought it was fantastic.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

casual poster posted:

Not a movie, but you would definitely be into this page: http://www.angelfire.com/trek/caver/

It's a really old website-journal thing (as you can tell from the angelfire link) but very much worth it. It gets very creepy and scary. Someone posted it here on the forums awhile ago.

Just read this. Does the story really end with him saying he is going to return to the cave, etc.? There is a link for a "next" page, but it just links back to the same page. I need closure!

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:

1redflag posted:

Just read this. Does the story really end with him saying he is going to return to the cave, etc.? There is a link for a "next" page, but it just links back to the same page. I need closure!

:laugh:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

simosimo posted:

"The Descent" is the penultimate creepy underground movie, IMHO. The sequel is ok.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Believe me, the irony is not lost on me, and I fully expect that is the intended cliffhanger ending. However, I'm just really hoping it was a broken link, as I want more!

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

1redflag posted:

Believe me, the irony is not lost on me, and I fully expect that is the intended cliffhanger ending. However, I'm just really hoping it was a broken link, as I want more!

Wasn't it a great story though??

Btw, when I read it and got to the "end" I went over the top looking for a next page, read through the page source, looked around some online, never found it. Eventually I came around to loving the ending and just letting my imagination run wild with it.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
There is an ending because the Ted the Caver story was essentially plagiarized from an earlier story. The ending is lame though.

EDIT: Or, wait, maybe the longer version with the ending is the plagiarism.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I love that Ted's Caving story still exists and is still on Angelfire. It's a nice memento from a time before the internet was saturated with slendermans or whatever nonsense is going on with kids these days :arghfist: :corsair:

moller posted:

There is an ending because the Ted the Caver story was essentially plagiarized from an earlier story. The ending is lame though.

Yeah that sounds really dumb, giving it an ending would ruin it.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

moller posted:

The longer version with the "ending" is the plagiarized version. It is awful. Don't read it.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Machete Kills now available on Netflix

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
I need some good monster horror to watch with the gal. The last thing we saw and loved was Splinter, which had one of the best creatures I've seen in a movie, despite being a low budget unknown movie. But it's not on netflix, so pick it up if you see it in a $5 bin at walmart.

We also loved Cabin in the Woods , V/H/S (but I haven't heard great things about vhs2), REC*, and... Well that's pretty much it for decent horror movies I've come across on netflix.

But for just amazingly bad movies there's one that stands out in the netflix lineup and outshines all it's competition. Zombie rear end, Toilet of the Dead! The first half of the movie plays out like some guy's bizarre and uncomfortable scat fetish, but then it just goes off the deep end and culminates in a spectacular fight that may or may not have the main character rocketing into the air with the power of ~fartz~ to battle the parasite ridden corpse of her friend, turned butt tentacle monster. JAPAN. It's great. Watch it with a loved one.

Oh and I just gave Frankenstein's Army a shot because this thread said it was from the same guy that was going to make that movie about Nazi zombies attached to weather balloons... I got about half way through before just giving up. It started out with promise, right up until you get to see your first couple Nazi zombies.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
If you enjoyed Zombie rear end that much, you need to see his other films! http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1175724/

They are mostly on a similar wavelength to Zombie rear end, although I think that one they may have intentionally been trying to make the grossest movie they could. I think my favorite might be Sukeban Boy, Machine Girl is probably the most famous one.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1883583/ is the guy who tends to do the special effects for these movies and sometimes directs them, almost everything on that list will also probably entertain you if are into this sort of stuff (and why wouldn't you be, it owns). His most famous would probably be Tokyo Gore Police, I also quite enjoyed Helldriver.

Lots of these are on Netflix instant. Also check out The ABCs of Death, as they each do a segment in that. One is about farts, the other is the final letter and is just...a cinematic masterpiece.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I though VHS was genuinely creepy, and I'm not usually freaked out by films (mainly the girl in the hotel room).

Watched The Tunnel (not on netflix) and was good, a slow start I found, but was worth it. Good for those tunnel/underground lovers like me.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
For what it's worth, I thought VHS2 was better than the first one, particularly the Indonesian school vignette.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

It had been 14 years since I saw the film, and I still remembered it as, "That one weird werewolf movie with the strange MIDI like soundtrack that I loved for no explainable reason."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Bedurndurn posted:

For what it's worth, I thought VHS2 was better than the first one, particularly the Indonesian school vignette.

This.

I thought Second Honeymoon from the first movie was probably the best segment in the series, but I found the second movie as a whole to be a lot more consistent than the first. I loved 2 of the 4 segments in VHS2, thought one was dumb but passable and thought one was okay. Nothing in 2 was as bad as Tuesday the 17th and I thought the Skype segment was boring too.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I'd like to recommend the Future War episode of MST3K. Even without the commentary that movie is so bonkers I can't believe it was ever released. It's like some kid's high school project but with dinosaurs and Robert Z'dar

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape

Deadite posted:

I'd like to recommend the Future War episode of MST3K. Even without the commentary that movie is so bonkers I can't believe it was ever released. It's like some kid's high school project but with dinosaurs and Robert Z'dar

Uhhh I'd like to recommend EVERY episode of MST3k. EXCEPT STARFIGHTERS oh god nothing could ever make that movie good.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Yeah, I just meant that even if you aren't a fan of MST3K, Future War is such a bizarre movie on its own that you should check it out. It looks like it was mostly filmed in a warehouse filled with empty boxes.

Edit:I there's seriously a scene with a reporter, and the camera man has a camera that is clearly made out of a cereal box

Deadite has a new favorite as of 20:38 on May 27, 2014

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Deadite posted:

Yeah, I just meant that even if you aren't a fan of MST3K, Future War is such a bizarre movie on its own that you should check it out. It looks like it was mostly filmed in a warehouse filled with empty boxes.

Edit:I there's seriously a scene with a reporter, and the camera man has a camera that is clearly made out of a cereal box

Yeah, well I'm card-bored.

thats the straight dope
Apr 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Munnin The Crab posted:

We also loved Cabin in the Woods , V/H/S (but I haven't heard great things about vhs2), REC*, and... Well that's pretty much it for decent horror movies I've come across on netflix.

If you liked Second Honeymoon in VHS you might like Innkeepers and House of the Devil (both of which several people recommended already, but yeah).

Netflix doesn't seem to have Rec 2, unfortunately. I think Netflix does have Rec 3 but it's pretty bad.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Munnin The Crab posted:

Oh and I just gave Frankenstein's Army a shot because this thread said it was from the same guy that was going to make that movie about Nazi zombies attached to weather balloons... I got about half way through before just giving up. It started out with promise, right up until you get to see your first couple Nazi zombies.
You take that back, Frankenstein's Army was amazing!

Vriess posted:

It had been 14 years since I saw the film, and I still remembered it as, "That one weird werewolf movie with the strange MIDI like soundtrack that I loved for no explainable reason."
There were no werewolves in the movie. And I don't recall the soundtrack sounding like a video game, either.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I liked rec3 well enough but it's the Halloween 3 of the series, going in a different direction than the others. It was pretty ridiculous in a good way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
You people weren't kidding when you said Iron Sky turned to poo poo about halfway through.

• Locked thread