Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Solumin posted:

@Ditocoaf: I think that if anyone but Red had defeated Royce, there would have been a good reason for another hour of gameplay. As it stands, she had finished what she wanted to, and she managed to reunite herself with Blue. That's all she really wanted, wasn't it?
Well, she was reunited with Nameless from the very beginning of the game. She was only going around hunting down the Camerata to look for answers, and maybe find a way to bring him back. It wasn't even about revenge.

Of course once she defeated Royce there was nothing left for her to try, so she just ended it. There wasn't a reason for another hour of gameplay. But there could have been. Not by changing her motivation, but by changing the circumstances. I don't have any real suggestions, because it's Supergiant's fictional world not mine. But what there was, felt inappropriate for its position. It was where a climax should be, but it was just Red checking out her final lead, which didn't bear fruit, so she went with Plan B.

If she'd known ahead of time that the Camerata didn't have any answers, she would have "joined her boyfriend" at the very beginning of the game, or gone looking somewhere else for a solution. Of course, we don't know that's the case at first. But around the time we discover Grant and Asher dead, we know that fighting the Camerata isn't the point at all. Which is why I was expecting something more monumental to appear, either after Royce or instead of Royce, or for the Royce encounter to turn out to be something other than what it was.

Red's pseudo-suicide made perfect sense, and was fitting. It was the entire last third of the game before that that was an anticlimax, where you find Royce while he talks about his discovery of the Transistor, then you fight him. That whole arc would have felt fitting as a downbeat second-to-last act, which is why I might say "there should be something after", but changing its nature to something more climactic would resolve the same problem.

I absolutely love the first two thirds of Transistor, and the ending itself is hard-hitting and great. I'm just trying to dissect a minor dissatisfaction.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ditocoaf posted:

Different things seemed to happen to people, depending on circumstance. Some important people just got sucked into the transistor. Red got winged by that, so lost one "element" of herself, her voice. The vast majority of the population just got straight-up killed by lasers, leaving behind an essence/backup we could grab with the transistor.

The administrator guy seemed to have been tainted by the process somehow, or he became too linked to the Transistor to live without it, and was slowly dying? Sybil's case might be something similar, she was corrupted by the process it somehow, so when they lost control of it that problem was compounded (as opposed to the Creeps just turning and killing her). Sybil and the administrator guy (I wish I remembered his name) were at Ground Zero of their plan going wrong, so it makes sense that they might have some unique glitches.

The guy's name is Grant. And I don't think he was corrupted by the Process or anything; Asher is struggling to hold it together when he says that Grant isn't "feeling well," and it's probably the last voicemail you get from him before finding their bodies. Odds are Grant just couldn't handle the guilt of what he'd done and killed himself somehow, and Asher's message was made shortly after he expired. The entire Camerata's scheme was his idea, after all.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I understand where you're coming from now, and we're pretty much in agreement.

Though she really wasn't reunited with Blue right from the start. Reunited with his voice, maybe, but we later learned that there was no way to get him out of the sword. But now I'm just nitpicking about "reunited."

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ditocoaf posted:

Different things seemed to happen to people, depending on circumstance. Some important people just got sucked into the transistor. Red got winged by that, so lost one "element" of herself, her voice. The vast majority of the population just got straight-up killed by lasers, leaving behind an essence/backup we could grab with the transistor.

The administrator guy seemed to have been tainted by the process somehow, or he became too linked to the Transistor to live without it, and was slowly dying? Sybil's case might be something similar, she was corrupted by the process it somehow, so when they lost control of it that problem was compounded (as opposed to the Creeps just turning and killing her). Sybil and the administrator guy (I wish I remembered his name) were at Ground Zero of their plan going wrong, so it makes sense that they might have some unique glitches.

Good replies guys, gives me food for thought. I know it's not for everyone when the games vague in some ways, but it's what I love about it. Especially the ending.

Great game, I think I may do another Bastion run as I only played it the once before doing NG+ on this.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

The guy's name is Grant. And I don't think he was corrupted by the Process or anything; Asher is struggling to hold it together when he says that Grant isn't "feeling well," and it's probably the last voicemail you get from him before finding their bodies. Odds are Grant just couldn't handle the guilt of what he'd done and killed himself somehow, and Asher's message was made shortly after he expired. The entire Camerata's scheme was his idea, after all.

Ah, that makes totally more sense. I thought that Asher committed suicide after Grant died of mysterious causes, but I was taking "isn't feeling well" too literally.

drat, now I'm picturing Asher leaving that final message. That's really twisted and sad. "Cowards", though. Wow.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
People keep calling it a sword, but it's clearly a USB device of some kind. Which makes perfect sense, really.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Looks like a bigass microchip with a sword handle stuck on it to me.

And also an eye.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Re: Grant/Asher and the guy wondering their deal the way the messages and Asher's Function file read made me think they were clearly lovers, and I suppose their last names being the same means they were married. This makes the whole bit with them a kind of foreshadowing, as Asher checks out because he can't deal with what's happened/is happening to Grant.

Nice touch, both in terms of its relationship to the ending, and its natural and subtle inclusion.

Also, just beat the game for the first time, and my only real problem is that I wish there were more game. Bit more length, more good/meaty encounters, couple more bosses. That's a pretty good thing to have as a one complaint.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

From the way Asher sends messages, I thought it was a bit of a telling even before it showed them with the same surnames. Especially so with their suicides. It's a small thing but also a nice touch from the developers. Although I'm not sure nice is the right word.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
You know, the game's story becomes very silly if you replace every instance of "Camerata" with "Katamari" and imagine the Process as a giant adhesive ball.

You're welcome.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Magitek posted:

You know, the game's story becomes very silly if you replace every instance of "Camerata" with "Katamari" and imagine the Process as a giant adhesive ball.

You're welcome.

You fucker. :argh:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A lone woman's voice mournfully chanting "na naaa, na na-na na na na-na-na, Katamari Damacyyyy"

rhinohelix
Aug 19, 2007

Fun Shoe

Tin Hat posted:

My first thought when I heard him was Owen Wilson.

I couldn't stop hearing Owen Wilson while he was talking.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

When you get the soundtrack bundled with the Steam version of the game, where do you find that?

rhinohelix
Aug 19, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ditocoaf posted:

When you get the soundtrack bundled with the Steam version of the game, where do you find that?

Whichever drive you have Steam installed, then \Steam\steamapps\common\Transistor\Soundtrack.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Just finished it a little while ago and I really like it. It was simple, straightforward, and beautiful. I really liked the hum button. Having a way to respond to Blue's narration was really engaging for me. He'd say something where he was sad or whatever, and I would hum to comfort him. Didn't really affect anything dialog or gameplay wise, but it really sucked me in for some reason.

I had a holy crap moment when I realized that the main song completely spoils the ending. "Think I'll go where it suits me. Going out to the country. With everyone, oh everyone." Jesus. Red really isn't a fan of metaphors.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Spark() slotted with Charm() + Purge() is pretty ridiculous. Normally when you charm an enemy you can no longer do damage, but with Purge on, they still take the DoT effect. When they switch back you just immediately hit it with them again and wait for them to melt (what I really mean is spam the gently caress out of it).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I wish I had the time to play this through. I still haven't even finished Bastion yet :(

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I figured out what Transistor's music was reminding me of: William Orbit's album, Hello Waveforms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa8t9SmJFDE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCicXtnU2pU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You all completely missed Transistor's real story: the threat that same-sex relationships pose to society

Void + Spark lets you apply two Void debuffs at once. If you throw Purge on there, does that also get doubled? I suppose it doesn't really matter, since you're always going to follow up with a four-digit Cull anyway.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Flipswitch posted:

The one thing I didn't quite understand on hindsight. If the Process essentially deletes/wipes people from Cloudbank, what happened to Sybil? Was it because she wasn't fully processed yet? How come she had a form to fight?

The process doesn't wipe or delete people, it turns them into more process. This is implied by Breach commenting on what the white blocks are, whether they are things, plants, animals, or ??? And the white blocks are just a more inert type of the process. Sybil was probably on her way to becoming a Younglady or something.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Finished the game, really liked it, even if the last third of the plot was really weird and sudden.

Did I notice correctly that at the beginning of new game+ the opening "Hey Red, we're not going to get away from this, are we..." line is spoken by Royce, or did I lose my mind :psyduck:? What is that supposed to mean?

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 25, 2014

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Finished the game, really liked it, even if the last third if the plot was really weird and sudden.

Did I notice correctly that at the beginning of new game+ the opening "Hey Red, we're not going to get away from this, are we..." line is spoken by Royce, or did I lose my mind :psyduck:? What is that supposed to mean?

Yes, it is by Royce. The implication is the death throes of Cloudbank are going to keep repeating.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Really Pants posted:

You all completely missed Transistor's real story: the threat that same-sex relationships pose to society

Void + Spark lets you apply two Void debuffs at once. If you throw Purge on there, does that also get doubled? I suppose it doesn't really matter, since you're always going to follow up with a four-digit Cull anyway.

Can't stack Purge. I don't even bother using Spark on Void, since you can just use more Voids. It has a tiny Turn() cost and I used Spark(Jaunt()) to clear shields from cells after Turn().

Bleu fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 25, 2014

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Goddamn, I knew I wasn't hearing things.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bleu posted:

Can't stack Purge. I don't even bother using Spark on Void, since you can just use more Voids. It has a tiny Turn() cost and I used Spark(Vault()) to clear shields from cells after Turn().

If I do that, then I have to lose Mask or Ping(Crash). Neither trade sounds good.

If you have Jaunt as a passive, you should just enough time to recover and Ping all the non-corrupted cells even with the fast-respawn Limiter in effect. Cull(Get) helps keep them within reach.

Do you ever get more than 28 memory?

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 25, 2014

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Really Pants posted:

If I do that, then I have to lose Mask or Ping(Crash). Neither trade sounds good.

If you have Jaunt as a passive, you should just enough time to recover and Ping all the non-corrupted cells even with the fast-respawn Limiter in effect. Cull(Get) helps keep them within reach.

Do you ever get more than 28 memory?

Just put Crash on Void and drop Ping as an active, and leave Get as a passive to suck the cells in after you pop the shields.

edit: According to this thing on the internet, the cap is 32. http://steamcommunity.com/app/237930/discussions/0/540742667372394958/

Bleu fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 25, 2014

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I think I was wrong about Cull(Get), cells still go flying all over the place.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if this is a bug or a clever gameplay thing coinciding with some story beats, but I noticed that after about an hour or so of gameplay my Crash() function completely disappeared from my Function list. Should I expect this to return or am I just going to have to go without backstabbing?

A Breach+Spark combo works well enough, just curious. I'm sad though, I didn't get the info for Red's third profile update though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's completely vanished, not just overloaded? That's not supposed to ever happen.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Really Pants posted:

It's completely vanished, not just overloaded? That's not supposed to ever happen.

Yeah, I have 9 functions on my list and Crash is not one of them.

I'll keep playing, maybe I'll get it on a level up or something.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You can get a second set of all the functions on your second playthrough. Crash is super useful though, you really ought to have it.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
I could've missed this being mentioned in the thread. Also, it may have been a coincidental button press. Was playing through Recursion. During the flashback to immediately after the Camerata attack, if you try to Hum(), Red rasps and coughs. Poor Red.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Anyone have any hints for Speed 4? The one with Void/Purge only? I've tried grouping the dogs together, but I can't kill all of them before they kill me, even if I don't use Turn. And if I kill everything 1v1, I run out of time.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Fangz posted:

The process doesn't wipe or delete people, it turns them into more process. This is implied by Breach commenting on what the white blocks are, whether they are things, plants, animals, or ??? And the white blocks are just a more inert type of the process. Sybil was probably on her way to becoming a Younglady or something.
Good call, I hadn't thought of it like that.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Rookersh posted:

Anyone have any hints for Speed 4? The one with Void/Purge only? I've tried grouping the dogs together, but I can't kill all of them before they kill me, even if I don't use Turn. And if I kill everything 1v1, I run out of time.

Voidx3 -> Purge each dog. It stacks.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Rookersh posted:

I didn't have too much issues with that one. Took a few retries, but my basic tactic was just to make sure there was almost no wasted Turn(). I made sure to Void() multiple when I could, and spam Purge() at everything every Turn(). Took a couple of tries, but that got it for me with like 20 seconds to spare.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I just started my second playthrough, and I totally forgot the (super early game spoilers)little door puzzle at the beginning where you need to use turn to hit both switches. Why did nothing like that ever come back? It seems strange to introduce a puzzle mechanic then never use it. There are some cool Braid-style timed puzzles you could potentially create with turn().

rhinohelix
Aug 19, 2007

Fun Shoe

Finished the game, really liked it, even if the last third of the plot was really weird and sudden.

I just started my third run; I heard it as he says: "Hey Red, We aren't going to get away with this, are we?" which to my mind means the Camerata. Given the game mode is "Recursion" I would expect that they aren't locked in an infinite loop re: Bastion but rather another single run-through. Either way, it lends itself to the ghost-images of Red you can follow on various objectives.

Kaysette posted:

I just started my second playthrough, and I totally forgot the (super early game spoilers)little door puzzle at the beginning where you need to use turn to hit both switches. Why did nothing like that ever come back? It seems strange to introduce a puzzle mechanic then never use it. There are some cool Braid-style timed puzzles you could potentially create with turn().

I really expected to see more of this as well.

Wittgen posted:

Just finished it a little while ago and I really like it. It was simple, straightforward, and beautiful. I really liked the hum button. Having a way to respond to Blue's narration was really engaging for me. He'd say something where he was sad or whatever, and I would hum to comfort him. Didn't really affect anything dialog or gameplay wise, but it really sucked me in for some reason.

I had a holy crap moment when I realized that the main song completely spoils the ending. "Think I'll go where it suits me. Going out to the country. With everyone, oh everyone." Jesus. Red really isn't a fan of metaphors.

It really does, in a way.

One thing I haven't really thought about enough is why Blue/Unknown/the Narrator isn't trapped in a jar in the Transistor like the other Functions who are contained within. At the end fight, can't you see the names of the folks in their pods, as it were? I guess the answer would be that he was unexpected/an anomaly but I would think there is more, at least for me, to would out there.

The lyrics to "We All Become" in full:

When you speak I hear silence
Every word a defiance
I can hear, oh, I can hear

Think I'll go where it suits me
Moving out to the country
With everyone, oh, everyone
Before we all become one

You tell yourself that you're lucky
Lying down never struck me
As something fun, oh, any fun

Stabbing pain for the feeling
Now your wound's never healing
'Til you're numb, oh, it's begun
Before we all become one

Oh we all, we all become one
Stop grieving, start leaving
Before we all become one

Run

Oh we all, we all become

rhinohelix fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

rhinohelix posted:

Either way, it lends itself to the ghost-images of Red you can follow on various objectives.

Wait, what are you talking about? Is this something that happens later in new game+/recursion?

• Locked thread