Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!
How would you install a specific version of iOS on an iPad 2? I want to throw on iOS 7.0, not 7.1, but i'm not sure how I can do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
You can't.

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

Can't he jailbreak or somethin?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
iOS 7.0 would run like trash on an iPad2 anyways.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
iOS 7 is fine on my iPad2.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong

Forbin5 posted:

Can't he jailbreak or somethin?
No, the restore process contacts Apple's servers and if they aren't allowing a version to be installed, there's no way around it.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
iOS 7 has significantly worse performance and battery life on my iPad 2 than iOS 6.

caboodle
Oct 28, 2009

hedgecore posted:

iOS 7 has significantly worse performance and battery life on my iPad 2 than iOS 6.

Duh. Every new OS is more resource hungry.
You shouldn't need to be told that it'll run worse on older hardware.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

caboodle posted:

This is the opposite of true, however, with the vast majority of incremental releases of OS X since 2001 (other than a very sharp drop off in performance at the very bottom of recommended specs.), so no, it's not an unreasonable expectation as far as Apple is concerned.

caboodle
Oct 28, 2009

CaptainPsyko posted:

This is the opposite of true, however, with the vast majority of incremental releases of OS X since 2001 (other than a very sharp drop off in performance at the very bottom of recommended specs.), so no, it's not an unreasonable expectation as far as Apple is concerned.

Rubbish. Only 10.6 was less resource hungry than a previous version as it jettisoned all the PPC code.
Every version of OSX since 10.7 has required more resources & run poorer on older machines.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

caboodle posted:

Oh, I didn't expect otherwise. When iOS7 came out, there was a ton of commentary that it runs great on an iPad 2 / it gets much better the more you use it / etc. Just didn't want anyone to think that's some universal truth.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

caboodle posted:

Rubbish. Only 10.6 was less resource hungry than a previous version as it jettisoned all the PPC code.
Every version of OSX since 10.7 has required more resources & run poorer on older machines.

I don't know, Mavericks was loving amazing in terms of performance improvements. Even the battery improved for me.

Skam
Jan 6, 2008
Hopefully someone here can help me

I have a large (1000+) amount of photos saved on my ipad which i got on there by using the lighting -> sd card adaptor

This also includes the raw files which got copied over at the same time and modifications I have made in iPhoto (the ipad version)

How do I get these off my ipad? Plugging it into iTunes it recognises the fact that I have 12 gig of photos saved however when I click the 'photos' tab it is completely blank except to sync photos from my computer to my ipad

I also don't want to delete them by accident as I no longer have them saved on an sd card

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

It should show up on your computer as a camera or other similar device, separate to iTunes. There'll be a DCIM folder there with your photos inside. In theory...

Skam
Jan 6, 2008

Digital Jesus posted:

It should show up on your computer as a camera or other similar device, separate to iTunes. There'll be a DCIM folder there with your photos inside. In theory...

That worked

Wasn't the most user friendly option I have ever seen and I didn't even think of checking there considering how much everything else is tied up in iTunes

thank you.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Awesome, no worries :)

Death Hamster
Aug 21, 2007
Is this a two-bagger I see before me?
I have an iPad 2 that my son uses. He's autistic and it gets battered around a lot. We've had it for over 3 years and it's been able to take a real beating.

Now, it won't charge. I've tried the different troubleshooting processes and it looks like the charging port is hosed permanently.

So I have a couple of questions:

1. Any idea how much it would cost to fix this? Or would it be more cost effective to get a new one?

2. How sturdy is the iPad Air compared to the iPad 2? We currently use the iPad 2 with this kid's case:

http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Product...2+case+for+kids

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I find the Air feels less sturdy than the iPad 2, although a lot of that is probably just due to how much lighter it is. The big difference for me is how the glass feels a lot less solid on the Air.

I can't say for certain it is less sturdy but it feels less substantial, anyway.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I've dropped my air a few times, nothing major though, just slides off the bed, didn't put it far enough onto the counter or table, etc. it's only got a few dings to the aluminum and my only protection is the Smart Cover (so none).

I would think in an actually protective case it would be able to take a decent beating. It's kind of flexible which I think actually makes it better at taking impacts then the more rigid old designs. I can't vouch for an autistic child slamming it into something or throwing it across the room, but it certainly is durable.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Whatever iPad you choose, I would get an Otterbox for it. My nephew is autistic and has an iPad Mini in an Otterbox, and that thing would be dead 1000 times over if not for the case. The case you have is cute but doesn't seem like it would offer a lot of protection.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Digital Jesus posted:

Whatever iPad you choose, I would get an Otterbox for it. My nephew is autistic and has an iPad Mini in an Otterbox, and that thing would be dead 1000 times over if not for the case. The case you have is cute but doesn't seem like it would offer a lot of protection.

Does the Otterbox significantly affect stylus performance? I have an Otterbox for both iPhone and iPod, but I've been holding back on getting it for the iPad because I use a stylus on it for art stuff.

E: also the price is offputting, obviously.

Tardigrade fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 29, 2014

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

No idea sorry, I don't know anybody that uses a stylus on their iPad.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I use an otter box for my iPad 4 because I'm a big dummy and I work in a pretty lovely rocking and rolling environment. It's been a full year now and I don't have a scratch on it. drat thing is bullet proof.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Death Hamster posted:

I have an iPad 2 that my son uses. He's autistic and it gets battered around a lot. We've had it for over 3 years and it's been able to take a real beating.

Now, it won't charge. I've tried the different troubleshooting processes and it looks like the charging port is hosed permanently.

So I have a couple of questions:

1. Any idea how much it would cost to fix this? Or would it be more cost effective to get a new one?

2. How sturdy is the iPad Air compared to the iPad 2? We currently use the iPad 2 with this kid's case:

http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Product...2+case+for+kids

You might find a mom and pop "Donnie's Apple Hut" that can repair the port, but if you're looking to upgrade you can save a few bucks by going through the refurbished store http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad You get the warranty, and can put Applecare+ on it for 99 bucks- then hey, let em go hog wild with it!

Gas Break Dip
May 16, 2008

Then scrape.

priznat posted:

The big difference for me is how the glass feels a lot less solid on the Air.

Yeah the digitizers are thinner on the Air. Not so with the Mini Retina.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
I dunno if this is more magnet science than ipad, but does anyone know if there are any long term negative effects to using the magnetism in the smart cover on my ipad to hang it on a filing cabinet? There's thick carpet below and it's only about 2 feet off the ground so falling isn't a huge concern. I'm more worried about accidentally making the magnet stop working and stop doing the smart cover thing since I don't know how magnets work.

Temporarily living in pretty tight quarters so there's no better place to put it that is in reach of my bed (filing cabinet is where I'd have a bedside table) which is where I want it to be when I go to bed and wake up. I could also put it on the floor between the cabinet and the bed but I think the cover and the cabinet would interact in a similar way if I did that, anyway.

KirkCameronCrowe
May 26, 2014

So I'm in the market for an iPad Air (picking one up Friday probably actually) but with iOS 8 announced is this enough to reason to wait on an upgrade to it or is it still a good time to pick up an iPad Air?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

KirkCameronCrowe posted:

So I'm in the market for an iPad Air (picking one up Friday probably actually) but with iOS 8 announced is this enough to reason to wait on an upgrade to it or is it still a good time to pick up an iPad Air?

iOS8 doesn't really change much. Edit: Doesn't really change much about the iPad release schedule/features. iPad Airs are here now. And more than likely the next iPad is in October or something.

If you can be patient, wait till October and get a new one.

If you can be paint, wait till October and get a cheaper Air.

If you want it now and the features are good enough for you, get one now. :)

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
iOS8 isn't coming out until AutumnFall so either wait until it comes out (by which point you might as well get the next iPad) or get an iPad Air now and update when the time comes. To be fair I'm thinking of getting an iPad Mini Retina soonish anyway. I have an iPad 2 at the momnent so anything that doesn't crash when you load up more than one app is perfect for me!

KirkCameronCrowe
May 26, 2014

Alright, thanks for the answers. I've always liked how iPad don't really show their age immediately (maybe this is just me I dunno) so I'll probably pick up an Air now.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong

WetSpink posted:

I dunno if this is more magnet science than ipad, but does anyone know if there are any long term negative effects to using the magnetism in the smart cover on my ipad to hang it on a filing cabinet? There's thick carpet below and it's only about 2 feet off the ground so falling isn't a huge concern. I'm more worried about accidentally making the magnet stop working and stop doing the smart cover thing since I don't know how magnets work.

Temporarily living in pretty tight quarters so there's no better place to put it that is in reach of my bed (filing cabinet is where I'd have a bedside table) which is where I want it to be when I go to bed and wake up. I could also put it on the floor between the cabinet and the bed but I think the cover and the cabinet would interact in a similar way if I did that, anyway.
Magnets don't wear out or anything, so you're fine. (Well actually they do, but at such a tiny rate and it's independent from how often it's being "used".) Falling sounds like the biggest issue there.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Digital Jesus posted:

I'm so happy with my Air I wouldn't hesitate in buying another one today if I needed another iPad for some reason. I can't imagine anything they could add to a new model this year that would make me ditch the Air (watch it happen anyway).

Touch ID. I thought it was a gimmick but I love it so much on my 5s and am really excited about it in ios 8 that I would consider trading in my new retina mini the minute there's a Touch ID version.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

squirrelzipper posted:

Touch ID. I thought it was a gimmick but I love it so much on my 5s and am really excited about it in ios 8 that I would consider trading in my new retina mini the minute there's a Touch ID version.

Absolutely, Touch ID is one of the best features ever and I'm kinda sad it didn't make the cut for the Air.

I'm not sure how they could improve on the iPad Air either. Speed is already pretty insane, not like anything lags, but it's almost a given that they will introduce a better processor.

Maybe something ridiculous like a 7 day lasting battery, or solar charging? I seriously can't think of something that *needs* improvement. Maybe better speakers.

Speaking of Touch ID, I wonder if they'll implement it on MacBooks. Would be neat to unlock my Mac with it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It is surprising that none of the MacBooks have a touchid thing yet.. Other laptops have had it for ages, it's probably my favourite thing about my work thinkpad. That and it's decently fast but blerrrgh what a terrible screen.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
2gb RAM and I'd ditch the Air in an instant. TouchID would be great (and should be happening) but it's not a dealbreaker for me.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah okay fine there are a few things that would tempt me. My point was that the Air is freaking awesome as-is.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I bought my wife a MacBook Air last month and ever since then, I've been having trouble with using the internet on my iPad Air whenever her computer is in use. Has anyone ever run into this? Is this likely the result of our WiFi network being crowded with, like... 6 different Apple devices? I mean, that's what my gut is telling me and I should just go and buy a dual-band router but I'm not keen to do it if that doesn't sound like a typical issue.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Six devices shouldn't be anywhere near too many for any halfway decent router made in the past decade. You may want to see if it has a logging feature to see if something is misbehaving somehow. Or it could just be something doesn't agree with the router which can happen for no apparent reason.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Would the logging feature be connected with her MacBook being in use? Because that's literally the only time when it's an issue and now she feels bad using her new computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, if your router has a logging feature (and that's not guaranteed), it should be active at all times.