Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Oh Christ there's people still pissy about the Irish derail. Look, it's been explained very clearly that it is a pedantic technical definition. I agree completely that it is a pedantic technical definition. I think that it would be extraordinarily unwise to try to use the pedantic technical definition because the word has political and cultural connotations that massively outweigh the technical geographic one.

That doesn't change that the technical and pedantic definition is the one that was specifically asked for and that it is factually true. It's like kippers getting pissy about being called European. They might not like the connotation, they might not think we should be a part of Europe politically, but it doesn't change the geographical fact that this archipelago is a part of Europe.

e; 69AD: The Year of the Four Emperors sees Galba, Otho, Viellius, and Vespasian all as Emperor in succession. Two thousand years later schoolchildren everywhere would think this is the funniest year ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I don't think any plastic paddy has ever thought about voting rights in Ireland. You were being ridiculous; and denying that the British/English culture/nation has a proclivity towards dominating and controlling others flies in the face of history, reality, the last several hundred pages of this thread, and the current elections going on in your country.

I agree I was probably being a little hyperbolic. Still, my point was that immigrant 'Irish' communities are culturally distinct from Irish 'Irish' communities. I don't think that's too controversial.

And yes Britain has been, to use the proper academic term, a bit of an asshat in the recent centuries. The issue I took was the fact that you consider it an inherent part of that culture. We were no different to any other colonialist power in that regard, we just look it because we were more successful.

Mister Adequate posted:

Oh Christ there's people still pissy about the Irish derail. Look, it's been explained very clearly that it is a pedantic technical definition. I agree completely that it is a pedantic technical definition. I think that it would be extraordinarily unwise to try to use the pedantic technical definition because the word has political and cultural connotations that massively outweigh the technical geographic one.

That doesn't change that the technical and pedantic definition is the one that was specifically asked for and that it is factually true. It's like kippers getting pissy about being called European. They might not like the connotation, they might not think we should be a part of Europe politically, but it doesn't change the geographical fact that this archipelago is a part of Europe.

Basically this.

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

Transwomen are just men who cut their cocks off.

They might not like it but it's a pedantic technical definition.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Gorn Myson posted:

You're a Sussex CS student, right?
CS & AI but i still think its stupid to handwrite code. They should supply clean non-net machines. Never once in my whole career have I handwritten code. Or as I said make everything 100% coursework.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

cormac posted:

Transwomen are just men who cut their cocks off.

They might not like it but it's a pedantic technical definition.

You're being disingenous here. All you're doing is twisting the argument by using an even more emotionally charged subject in order to make it impossible to maintain the argument without coming off as an rear end.

A Trans-woman is a male who has had his cock cut off, based on the sex she was biologically assigned. That assigned sex is a biological fact and is wholly seperate from her gender identity.

However, she is not just a male who has had his cock cut off. She is still a woman, gender-wise. There are much more complex and much deeper issues involved. These issues make the first statement unpalatable, but they do not render it wrong.

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

ThomasPaine posted:

All you're doing is twisting the argument by using an even more emotionally charged subject in order to make it impossible to maintain the argument without coming off as an rear end.

You don't need my help there chief.

Edit: To clarify: I have pointed out several times that this argument relies on redefining the meaning of the word British. The word british does not and never has refer to the island of Ireland. It refers to the U.K. and the island of Britain. Nothing else. The idea that being a part of the British Isles makes Ireland British is factually incorrect, and has no basis in reality. People from the Republic of Ireland, generally speaking, are not British. Most of us would find the suggestion that we are pretty loving offensive for reasons which should be entirely obvious to anybody who has the slightest bit of knowledge on the subject.

cormac fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 25, 2014

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Perhaps this will come as a shock to you, but your little derail is as pointless as it's boring.

tl;dr? : No One Cares.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pickled onion are shite

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

baka kaba posted:

Pickled onion are shite

outside, now

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

DesperateDan posted:

outside, now

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Seaside Loafer posted:

CS & AI but i still think its stupid to handwrite code. They should supply clean non-net machines. Never once in my whole career have I handwritten code. Or as I said make everything 100% coursework.
Its absolutely stupid and a complete waste of time. But I'm just trying to ease some of the pressure off of you by telling you that the questions that require handwritten code are incredibly easy.

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

staberind posted:

Perhaps this will come as a shock to you, but your little derail is as pointless as it's boring.

tl;dr? : No One Cares.

But someone is wrong on the internet!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Where are we going, fellas??

I was going to say Space Raiders are the true snack of the people but apparently they're 20p now

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Now, babylon 5, that was a big pile of poo poo

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I have to say that my favourite British snack is Mighty Munch.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Seaside Loafer posted:

The only written CS exams I think are reasonable are short answer questions ("Explain what a pointer is. Show how pointers can be used to iterate data in an array"). My undergrad didn't have them but I really feel for people who have to write this crap out (see also: "Read this code and tell me what the output would be").

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

DesperateDan posted:

*Sound of pool balls falling into a sock*

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
"Wheres Ya Tool?"

cormac posted:

But someone is wrong on the internet!
That may be, but it was going in a silly direction,
you might as well explain the condescending "Londonderry" as opposed to "Derry",
or elderly people referring to Mayanmar as Burma.
English people just get puzzled by this, until people ask them if they are American, then they go from puzzled to tableflipping.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

staberind posted:

"Wheres Ya Tool?"

That may be, but it was going in a silly direction,
you might as well explain the condescending "Londonderry" as opposed to "Derry",
or elderly people referring to Mayanmar as Burma.
English people just get puzzled by this, until people ask them if they are American, then they go from puzzled to tableflipping.

Myanmar is the name used by the junta, no?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

baka kaba posted:

Pickled onion are shite

What's it like to be first against the wall?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

baka kaba posted:

I was going to say Space Raiders are the true snack of the people but apparently they're 20p now

One of our valued younger posters has blocked up the toilet with monster munch. I need that toilet back in play. How can we make that happen? How can we solve that as a team?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

How many space raiders packets do you have to eat before you gain a single measurable amount of digestible content, good or bad? Not including the packaging.

e:

Bobstar posted:

One of our valued younger posters has blocked up the toilet with monster munch. I need that toilet back in play. How can we make that happen? How can we solve that as a team?

This post made my day.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^ It's all high-fibre goodness. Also depends if you make them into space cars or not

Bobstar posted:

Well if they weren't already pickled onion they'll be indistinguishable now, so I'm sure you'll have lots of volunteers!

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Bobstar posted:

communism

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

baka kaba posted:

I've not seen anyone mention scampi fries yet. They're like little bags of crack, plus not half filled with air like most other bags of crisps.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pork scratchlings, aka pigpeel.

HortonNash posted:

Myanmar is the name used by the junta, no?

Kind of, But, my point was that calling it A or B may upset some people,
others don't really care, but if your continued employment rests on not offending either group,
its a bit tricky.

bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

ceci n'est pas un presentateur

Mister Adequate posted:

There is no country called Europe that oppressed a smaller country next to it for centuries and insists that said oppressed country is technically still European because Europe still calls the region by an imperialist name, despite the fact that the smaller country itself does not recognise that name as valid or accept the use of that name to describe the region.

The technical pedantic definition for you and ThomasPaine is "spineless crypto-Tory masquerading as a human being". You might dislike the connotation, disagree and think you are a person but technically you're both slug-like piles of manure.

I know there is a joke that everyone in here is secretly (or openly) a Tory, but Christ, I didn't expect to see people literally saying Irish people are technically still British and transwomen are technically men.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Xachariah posted:

I find exams like that fairly annoying in their abstractness. In the real world when are you required to use 3 hours to write an essay for 5 different topics with absolutely no references allowed? When else do you have to relentlessly re-read older stuff for a brief moment where you are forced to regurgitate it in a pre-approved format?

While essay-based exams have their problems, the point of them is to learn how to work under pressure and apply existing information to a new context. If you regurgitate your notes and older essays in an exam by picking a question that seems vaguely related, you usually get a poo poo mark because you're not actually answering the question. It doesn't really matter how many quotes from historians or information on the metre of a poem you shoehorn in. This is why picking a hard or unexpected question, thinking about it for a bit, and coming up with a new perspective gets you much better marks than picking one that is very similar to what you already studied in detail. It impresses examiners more because it requires creativity and improvisation. What it doesn't do is test your ability to revise work, research, work with others, etc., but in theory that should have been tested by coursework and classes.

Although I'm in the middle of essay-based finals right now and it sucks, I probably wouldn't go back and swap 2 of them for a dissertation because I'm so lazy about revising work. Exams are really beneficial for people who can produce a high quality first draft and then don't feel like doing anything else to it.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Kin posted:

I've not seen anyone mention scampi fries yet. They're like little bags of crack, plus not half filled with air like most other bags of crisps.

Finally, someone sees the light. Scampi fries are vegitarian too, which is nice.

I miss pork scratchings :(

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Weldon Pemberton posted:

What it doesn't do is test your ability to revise work, research, work with others, etc., but in theory that should have been tested by coursework and classes.

Well guess what the nice Mr Gove is eliminating from GCSEs and GCEs, because they're not rigorous enough apparently.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
The types of people who rely on pushing Britishness tend to define it by what it isnt, not whatever technical or factual term you can come up with for what it is.

Touchdown Boy fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 25, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

DesperateDan posted:

:catstare:

loving outside boyo t:mad:

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Everyone ready to see the fine people that will be in the European parliament tonight?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Yep. It already looks like te Greeks (people from Greece) and the French (people from France) have plumped for the Fascists.

Alecto
Feb 11, 2014

IceAgeComing posted:

Everyone ready to see the fine people that will be in the European parliament tonight?

Undoubtedly a bunch of hard working individuals, concerned with the well being of their constituents, their country and Europe as a whole. :suicide:

e: on the other hand, looks like Tsipras has done bloody well in Greece as well, so that's something. :unsmith:

Alecto fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 25, 2014

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Hey guys, do we have a new prime minister yet?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Hey guys, do we have a new prime minister yet?

I think it's some Ukrainian guy.

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007

Trickjaw posted:

Yep. It already looks like te Greeks (people from Greece) and the French (people from France) have plumped for the Fascists.

I was in Paris during the recent local French elections and remember thinking "Christ, sucks for the people of France, but at least the FN can't mess
us up." I know that the relative effect of the FN being a part of the European Parliament is negligible to me, but... Still, merde.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Yeah, I was prepared for it but it's still shocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Seaside Loafer posted:

I've had a couple of interviews that wanted handwritten pseudocode on a basic problem, but never actual code. Do your exams require actual code?

Anything testing coding skills should be coursework and not an exam though, because what the hell does a coding exam get you over coursework other than pressure?

• Locked thread