Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Hidden Mother posted:

Who's the absolute worst wrestler (taking into account ring work, promo ability, natural charisma) to get a main event push? Khali?

Same question, but excluding giants from the equation. Worst full-time male wrestler using the criteria above to get a main event push. Mable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Sid would have to be up there.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dunbar posted:

Sid would have to be up there.

Sid would have to count as a giant, right? I'd say Warrior was worse than Sid for that era and overall, probably someone British. I'll go with Big Daddy since Giant Haystacks/Loch Ness would also count as a giant.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Sid rules you jerks.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Snacksmaniac posted:

Sid rules you jerks.

The world at that.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Goldberg had nothin' on Sid's streak.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Snacksmaniac posted:

Goldberg had nothin' on Sid's streak.

Goldberg's half the man that Sid is, and only has twice the brain that Sid has.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'm really glad TNA was never able to ruin my love of Sid.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
As far as awful wrestlers to get a main-event push, I was going to suggest Garett Bischoff, but then I remembered that nobody watches TNA.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Lex Luger would be my nomination, I would much rather tune into a Sid segment than anything involving the Total Package

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Luger is loving great in mid-late '80s NWA.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The problem with Lex was Vince pushing him to the moon and giving him his own tour bus and poo poo when he couldn't get over in the WWF wasn't it? He was great in the NWA and okay in WCW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

The problem with Lex was Vince pushing him to the moon and giving him his own tour bus and poo poo when he couldn't get over in the WWF wasn't it?

Lex's problem was more that he wasn't allowed to win the big one until it was way way way too late. He was red hot in the late 80s, but never got to beat Flair. Even in 1990 he drew better than Sting but Sting was decided to be the next "the guy" so Luger didn't get the belt. That isn't to say he should have, any non-Flair or Steamboat champion was going to have trouble keeping the fans interested in that era. As for the WWF, the Lex Express kind of worked to get him over they just botched the push by not giving him the title at Summerslam. They were better off because that Luger gimmick wasn't going to have any staying power while Bret was a better option.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I'm coming at this topic based off kid nostalgia, FWIW.

Can't speak about his time in NWA, but in WWF he had a decent gimmick in The Narcissist but all the only spots I can remember were his striations.

The USA Guy/Lex Express was the first main event program I really got hyped for. I was screaming at my TV in joy when he suplexed Yoko on the battleship, but with him and Kona Crush etc. they tried feeding him lunks to get him over ala Hogan, but Luger couldn't pace a match like Hulk and he fizzled as The Guy.

Luger in WCW was protected and hidden to a ridiculous degree in a league well known for protecting guys who weren't great workers. Whether he was turning on Sting, joining up with the NWO, turning on Sting, joining the Wolfpac, working with Elizabeth, or turning on Sting, he was never able to carry the load of the story or the ringwork. But I think he stayed on the top of the cards longer than anyone else would have given the talent.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

beggar posted:

I'm coming at this topic based off kid nostalgia, FWIW.
In fact, I think Luger has been getting more positive appraisals from people going back and watching his matches via Tuesday Nitro. This started coming up in regard to Sting's HoF worthiness.

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

To echo everyone here, Luger has been a huge surprise in Tuesday Nitro rewatches. He was honestly pretty good, and drat athletic even in his forties. I mean, he was hardly the greatest wrestler I've ever seen, but the idea that he's on the same level or even better than Sting is something I'd have dismissed offhand months ago.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

In fact, I think Luger has been getting more positive appraisals from people going back and watching his matches via Tuesday Nitro. This started coming up in regard to Sting's HoF worthiness.

Okay... I bite. What is the best Luger match on the network so I can watch it?

I only remember him as a horrible wrestler with a good physique and finisher.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

The Grey posted:

vs. Flair at Starrcade '88 is probably the best place to start.
w/ Barry Windham vs. Tully & Arn is also a pretty great example of Luger being very effective in small doses.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Grey posted:

Probably Luger vs Flair from Starrcade 88. Luger vs Steamboat from GAB 89 is excellent as well and pretty much every Luger/Flair match from 88-90 is great.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Web Jew.0 posted:

At 51:52 of the second video, Cole asks McMahon about a talking point. He said: "Do you want me to say that every time, because I've said it a shitload of times tonight."

Vince's reply isn't heard, but Cole immediately replies: "OK...yes sir...yes sir...OK, I've got it sir." 

I think everyone should watch this because the pauses are much longer than what this post is getting at. I'm talking 10-15 seconds of Cole clearly being bitched out hardcore by Vince, then Cole in that humbled kind of voice you only hear from the co-worker who got it REALLY bad from the boss behind closed doors.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Sting/Luger vs Steiners from SuperBrawl 1 is also really good and a somewhat rare example of a face vs face tag match.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Justin Godscock posted:

I think everyone should watch this because the pauses are much longer than what this post is getting at. I'm talking 10-15 seconds of Cole clearly being bitched out hardcore by Vince, then Cole in that humbled kind of voice you only hear from the co-worker who got it REALLY bad from the boss behind closed doors.

I just watched this. It's funny how Vince or Kevin Dunn call Cole 'JR' like it's an insult. They must really think very little of Jim Ross.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
He's talking to Dunn most of the time as he addresses him as "Kev", so I think Vince isn't always directly in his ear because that might be a bit too much crosstalk considering how much Dunn has to talk to production throughout. Cole changes tone completely when he's talking to Vince, and it didn't seem like that happened a whole lot during this particular show. So I wonder if Vince is mostly an overseer until there's a point he wants to really nail into the viewers' heads. That, or Cole's got Dunn in one ear and Vince in the other, which is just nuts.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

That, or Cole's got Dunn in one ear and Vince in the other, which is just nuts.

If it sounds nuts and WWE is involved then its always the right answer.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

Justin Godscock posted:

Could I have a link for this please?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

magnum_valentino posted:

Could I have a link for this please?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k4dSczgz9oPByi7KjFC&start=3092 from here, eventually Cole says "Hey Vince" pause "Do you want me to say that every time because I said it a poo poo load of times tonight"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Onmi posted:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k4dSczgz9oPByi7KjFC&start=3092 from here, eventually Cole says "Hey Vince" pause "Do you want me to say that every time because I said it a poo poo load of times tonight"
I like the 5 seconds he's onscreen during that. His head is so low. So low.

I'm still stuck in the 90s, so I've never seen a CM Punk match. Someone give me your Top 3.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

St Evan Echoes posted:

I'm still stuck in the 90s, so I've never seen a CM Punk match. Someone give me your Top 3.

CM Punk vs Jeff Hardy - TLC Match for the World Heavyweight Championship - Summerslam 2009
CM Punk vs John Cena - WWE Raw - Feb 25th, 2013
CM Punk vs Brock Lesnar - No Disqualification - Summerslam 2013

I'm sure others will have plenty more to suggest as well, those are just my personal favorites

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

St Evan Echoes posted:

Punk/Cena, MITB 2011
Punk/Jeff Hardy, Summerslam 2009
Punk/Bryan, Over The Limit 2012

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I'll just add 3 that haven't been already said:

Punk/Undertaker - WM29
Punk/Jericho - Payback 2013
Joe/Punk II - ROH Oct '04

Man, for a guy banged up and unhappy Punk put on a ton of great matches in 2013 - not singles, but he's a key part of the awesome WWE title MitB match that year too.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 25, 2014

TheWorstAmy
Nov 27, 2009

I'm a stupid Twitch streamer
So what are the WWE "eras", exactly?

2009-Present: PG Era
2002-2009: Post-Attitude/Dark/poo poo Era?
1997-2002: Attitude Era
1992-1997: New Generation Era
1985-1992: Golden Era
1979-1985: Expansion Era?
1963-1979: WWWF/Post-NWA Era?
1952-1963: CWC Era?

Just curious.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
The New Generation Era started in 1984.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftvTtTUv2Yw&t=49s

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Amy Renee posted:

Just curious.

2002-2007ish was called Ruthless Aggression I think.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Memento posted:

2002-2007ish was called Ruthless Aggression I think.

It was, according to WWE 2k14. It can probably also be called the Cena Era, since wasn't the whole "You've gotta display Ruthless Aggression" thing basically about Cena or whatever?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I don't remember it even being an overlying theme or anything, it was just what Vince/Cole were parroting at the moment.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
1984-1991 - Rock n' Wrestling
1992-1996 - New Generation
1997-2001 - Attitude
2002-2007 - Ruthless Aggression
2008-Now - Reality

That's my own approximate labeling. YMMV

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

It seems people consider a changing point between 2007 and 2009, but what would you say it was? I starting drifting out when the brand shift started, and a lot of those years seem to blend into one another, skimming through some of those years Summerslams it feels like the aspect ratio is the only new thing. Was it the shift to PG? Was it something that you could visibly see coming in?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I think that 07-09 period felt like things were changing because of PG an because there were tons more guys coming in that were brand new and not from the Monday night wars. poo poo like NXT and what not.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

St Evan Echoes posted:

Samoa Joe vs CM Punk, All Star Extravaganza II
Samoa Joe vs CM Punk, Joe vs Punk II
CM Punk vs John Cena, That Raw Match Everyone Loves

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

CM Punk vs John Cena, That Raw Match Everyone Loves
Just watch this match 3 times hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Amy Renee posted:

Just curious.

2002-2007 Ruthless Aggression
2007-2011 PG Era
2011- Reality Era