Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

TaurusTorus posted:

Ha, so even Christians will like if you raise a runestone. I guess they figure, hey, they sacrifice us to Odin, but that's a nice rock!

Well they may not appreciate the method, but everyone respects giving mad props to your ancestors/your own greatness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
Do Muslim characters have to be in-realm to contribute to decadence? If not, that might be a fun way to mess with Muslim superblocs, kidnap/invite their dynasty members, get them all fat and happy, and watch the decadence skyrocket. If they do, it still could be useful for vassals to destabilize their liege.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
They have to be in a realm ruled by your dynasty to count, but it doesn't have to be your realm. I guess you could invite dynasty members and grant them independence in lovely areas...

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

They have to be in a realm ruled by your dynasty to count, but it doesn't have to be your realm. I guess you could invite dynasty members and grant them independence in lovely areas...

That's too bad, I thought I came up with a good way of dealing with the Abbasid superbloc that always form in my games.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Goddammit. My ruler and his brother both inherit before they have children. Which means if his brother dies, all the land is his.

So yeah that's how I keep ending up with 'kinslayer' and all my remaining siblings hating me.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well that's fun. After taking Tigris from the Abbasids, the Caliph happened to get slayed by me in battle as I fought a holy war with someone else that he joined in, ending the truce and preparing me to take Basra from them next; Baghdad is more valuable, but I don't want to deal with jihads.

Then the Hashimid head converted to Nestorianism, meaning that Mecca is now held by infidels and jihads are unlocked anyway. So I may as well grab Baghdad anyway; Jihad isn't going away, and at the least they're going to have to take Mecca first (it's over twice the weight of Mesopotamia in their evaluation), so, yeah. Even if I don't take Baghdad Persia's got the same weight as Mesopotamia so after the Hashimids they're coming for me anyway.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

SynthOrange posted:

Goddammit. My ruler and his brother both inherit before they have children. Which means if his brother dies, all the land is his.

So yeah that's how I keep ending up with 'kinslayer' and all my remaining siblings hating me.

Hey, that's what the pope is for. If you aren't catholic, that's what more stabbing is for, after all, you can't become a double kinslayer.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002

fool_of_sound posted:

Judging by the Paradox forums, probably because he is a Slav.

I didn't think about this! The only in game benefit I can see is that slavic holy sites are easier to get to reform. It seems inferior in terms of game mechanics. Maybe he makes great use of the defensive bonus?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

I'm rounding up the Roman Republic game I'm playing for EU4 conversion, and saw this.

How does that even happen? I let the Aztecs eat Scotland and England after complete culture conversion, so I get how she flipped to Norse-ethnicity Roman culture, but how did she end up married to a wrong-culture infidel Emperor?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Belasarius posted:

I didn't think about this! The only in game benefit I can see is that slavic holy sites are easier to get to reform. It seems inferior in terms of game mechanics. Maybe he makes great use of the defensive bonus?

He's trying to conquer the world as quickly as possible and there are slavic opms right next to his territory. If he wanted to convert to tengri he's have to expand further into eastern europe.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
For the poster asking about managing decadence. I usually eat the 10 tyranny for imprisoning if my assassination discovery chance is to high. I'd rather have negative 10 then negative 30 for 5 years if I get caught.

Of course in my current game I'm racking up mad tyranny. I own all of Europe as a Muslim and I have many many many landed kinsmen. Independence faction hovers at 80-120 percent but they never revolt. I'd rather deal with a revolt then a decadence war. With 200k troops at my disposal I don't even want to know the number if troops that the would show up...

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Saith posted:

Anyone know why I'm getting a runtime error whenever the game tries to save? I haven't played since before the new DLC came out, but it used to work fine. I've tried reinstalling, but I'm not sure what else I can try.

Are you playing a new game? Pre-RoI saves won't work with the new version.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, somehow, one of my counties was inherited by a lord mayor under the head of a merchant republic I created, and no how many times I kill the owner of it it stays in the possession of the republic. The lord of the republic won't let me transfer the vassal out so I can revoke it, either. Am I going to have to destroy the republic to get this away from him, or is there a different trick I can employ?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

Okay, somehow, one of my counties was inherited by a lord mayor under the head of a merchant republic I created, and no how many times I kill the owner of it it stays in the possession of the republic. The lord of the republic won't let me transfer the vassal out so I can revoke it, either. Am I going to have to destroy the republic to get this away from him, or is there a different trick I can employ?

You could keep killing/bribing the doges until you find one who'll let you revoke the vassal?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Freudian posted:

You could keep killing/bribing the doges until you find one who'll let you revoke the vassal?

Doesn't look like it will work; there's a "Merchant Republics will not give up titles" modifier with five minuses whenever I check. Pretty sure it's one of those "will never accept" situations.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I hosed around with t he console to start an old gods merchant republic in Sweden, and I got attacked by someone with the subjugation CB. When I won the war, I got the "you are now playing a republic and cannot continue" game over. I was only a year in :smith:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Roland Jones posted:

Doesn't look like it will work; there's a "Merchant Republics will not give up titles" modifier with five minuses whenever I check. Pretty sure it's one of those "will never accept" situations.

Maybe if the doge is in your dungeon? I revoked a title from a republic that way, revoking a vassal might work too.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Angela Christine posted:

Maybe if the doge is in your dungeon? I revoked a title from a republic that way, revoking a vassal might work too.

That's the plan unless I find another solution. When my soon-to-be emperor starts getting on in the years I'm going to do quite a few tyrannical things I've been putting off.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

That stupid duchy level republic bug where you get a game-over screen when there is a doge election and you are a patrician with count-level titles is still there. Getting a "Oh i just checked: you are a mayor level republic player, GAMEOVER!" instead of just getting back your 4 duke titles with the doge seat is so frustrating. And of course, it happens when I have a genius ruler. :argh:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Wait, what is that? And which version are you playing?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

Wait, what is that? And which version are you playing?
Last beta patch with HIP but i got it once before a few months back with the vanilla game. And i am not the only one.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Darth Various posted:

Well in-game, Tengri get neither the defensive pagan attrition bonus, nor all the awesome stuff Norse get. It's just that most Tengri realms are huge (Cumans) or get huge event troops (Mongols).
Yeah, defensive attrition is really good, and since you only need to be in the Altaic culture group (+Pagan religion) and don't actually need the Tengri faith to do Tribal Invasions Slavic is probably better than Tengri if you want to game the system.

In addition to which, with the Tengri faith you seem to be locked into Agnatic, which makes for potential game overs if you ever find yourself in the unfortunate situation that your character hasn't produced any male heirs.

I'm pretty sure that stats-wise Slavic is entirely interchangeable with Romuva, Suomenusko and West African for the sake of game mechanics, but as defensive attrition seems to be based on the local religion of wherever you move your stacks to, Slavic has the edge over the other defensive pagans simply by virtue of being the largest of the defensive pagan faiths.

Also, all the Tengri starts except for Magyars are really terrible as far as technology, economy and potential number of holdings goes. The whole De Jure Empire of Tartaria is a shithole in that regard, meaning that in spite of you having access to Tribal Invasions right off the bat your potential levies will be really small for a really long time.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 25, 2014

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ratpick posted:

Yeah, defensive attrition is really good, and since you only need to be in the Altaic culture group (+Pagan religion) and don't actually need the Tengri faith to do Tribal Invasions Slavic is probably better than Tengri if you want to game the system.

In addition to which, with the Tengri faith you seem to be locked into Agnatic, which makes for potential game overs if you ever find yourself in the unfortunate situation that your character hasn't produced any male heirs.

I'm pretty sure that stats-wise Slavic is entirely interchangeable with Romuva, Suomenusko and West African for the sake of game mechanics,
but as defensive attrition seems to be based on the local religion of wherever you move your stacks to, Slavic has the edge over the other defensive pagans simply by virtue of being the largest of the defensive pagan faiths.

Also, all the Tengri starts except for Magyars are really terrible as far as technology, economy and potential number of holdings goes. The whole De Jure Empire of Tartaria is a shithole in that regard, meaning that in spite of you having access to Tribal Invasions right off the bat your potential levies will be really small for a really long time.

That's definitely not true. I went in-game to check it, here is the breakdown:

Suomenusko: +40% garrison size.

West African: +40% garrison size.

Slavic: +30% garrison size, +10% levy size.

Romuva: +30% garrison size, +10% levy size.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

TaurusTorus posted:

Ha, so even Christians will like if you raise a runestone. I guess they figure, hey, they sacrifice us to Odin, but that's a nice rock!

Runestones were still a thing after the conversion to Christianity. They died out as a result of Viking culture fading away, not because of the conversion. Mad that CK2 inaccurately doesn't let you raise a cool rock in honor of Jesus and Ragnarr the Cruel

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Torrannor posted:

That's definitely not true. I went in-game to check it, here is the breakdown:

Suomenusko: +40% garrison size.

West African: +40% garrison size.

Slavic: +30% garrison size, +10% levy size.

Romuva: +30% garrison size, +10% levy size.

Ah, my bad, I thought the defensive pagans were pretty much interchangeable stats-wise, but I was wrong. The more you know. :)

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
Has anyone else got the bug where some characters don't show up on marriage lists in the diplo menu? As in, you have the proper liege selected, click the ? icon, character you know for a fact should be there doesn't show up. I think it only happens when you're trying to select the liege themselves. I had this happen to a couple of councilors before, which was OK, no big deal, but now it's happening to my character himself, which sucks. I can select marriages from the little ring icon lower-right of the portrait, but I'd like to be able to marry anyone, not just the game's (subpar) suggestions.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I've noticed that as a muslim character if you arrange a betrothal you can't arrange any further marriages/betrothals until the first girl comes of age. If you line up say, 1 betrothal as first wife and then 2 adults as secondary wives all at once, the other offers will be rejected.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Apparently, if you run an empire with Tanistry, and your Tanist is the Grand Mayor of the world's largest merchant republic, the inheritance will destroy the republic and leave your empire feudal :(

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

"This is how a republic dies. Through vaguely understood inheritance mechanics."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'm having an issue with betrothals where they don't automatically convert to marriages when both parties are of age. Is anyone else seeing that, or can explain it?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Apparently, if you run an empire with Tanistry, and your Tanist is the Grand Mayor of the world's largest merchant republic, the inheritance will destroy the republic and leave your empire feudal :(

Tanistry is such a nuisance if you have a big empire. My dumb vassals love to track down any non-welsh members of my dynasty and elect them Tannist. Some Polish guy with 4 sons is Tanist, sure, I love gavelkind!

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Angela Christine posted:

Tanistry is such a nuisance if you have a big empire. My dumb vassals love to track down any non-welsh members of my dynasty and elect them Tannist. Some Polish guy with 4 sons is Tanist, sure, I love gavelkind!

During my Welsh Roman Empire game, tanistry mean that the risk of Britannia would go one way, and Byzantium would go another, was constant. Add in Byzantine duke infighting and always one Byzantine/British count/duke disliking me and it made the situation a nightmare at times.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Jedit posted:

I'm having an issue with betrothals where they don't automatically convert to marriages when both parties are of age. Is anyone else seeing that, or can explain it?

Have they automatically converted for you before? I've been playing since launch and I've never seen it happen. You still have to arrange the marriage through diplomacy, as if you had never betrothed. The betrothal itself is basically just calling dibs, no one else can marry them until you either accept the marriage or break the betrothal.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Toplowtech posted:

That stupid duchy level republic bug where you get a game-over screen when there is a doge election and you are a patrician with count-level titles is still there. Getting a "Oh i just checked: you are a mayor level republic player, GAMEOVER!" instead of just getting back your 4 duke titles with the doge seat is so frustrating. And of course, it happens when I have a genius ruler. :argh:

Merchant republic mechanics are fairly well hosed still (see my earlier bitching in this thread about titles taken by republics in holy wars completely breaking elections). Considering it still hasn't been fixed up to this point it's probably best to just not play them unless you like playing with artificial handicaps like "no count titles" and "can't use holy wars".

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Sheep posted:

Merchant republic mechanics are fairly well hosed still (see my earlier bitching in this thread about titles taken by republics in holy wars completely breaking elections). Considering it still hasn't been fixed up to this point it's probably best to just not play them unless you like playing with artificial handicaps like "no count titles" and "can't use holy wars".

Also, if you have vassal dukes, they can get elected to feudal kingdoms and subsequently stop being your vassals. Super loving annoying when trying to usurp a kingdom title and they keep electing your dukes to it. You can't of course, usurp it as a republic because that would simply be too easy.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Sheep posted:

Never ever had this problem and I always take African stuff as Italian Republics.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zodium posted:

I'm rounding up the Roman Republic game I'm playing for EU4 conversion, and saw this.

How does that even happen? I let the Aztecs eat Scotland and England after complete culture conversion, so I get how she flipped to Norse-ethnicity Roman culture, but how did she end up married to a wrong-culture infidel Emperor?

Norse aren't considered infidels to Aztecs - they're all under the "Pagan" religion, so intermarriages are treated the same as Catholic/Orthodox.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

So basically all the land in the world is going to belong to you and that little girl.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How is 'too distant to interact with' calculated? I cant do my stupid gimmick of norse africans anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

SynthOrange posted:

How is 'too distant to interact with' calculated? I cant do my stupid gimmick of norse africans anymore.
Well, there's entries in defines.lua.

MAX_DIPLO_DISTANCE = 700, -- Most diplomacy is disallowed if two rulers are too distant
MAX_DIPLO_DISTANCE_SAME_RELIGION = 100, -- Bonus to max diplo distance for being of the same religion
MAX_DIPLO_DISTANCE_SAME_RELIGION_GROUP = 0, -- Bonus to max diplo distance for being of the same religion group
MAX_DIPLO_DISTANCE_SAME_CULTURE = 100, -- Bonus to max diplo distance for being of the same culture
MAX_DIPLO_DISTANCE_SAME_CULTURE_GROUP = 100, -- Bonus to max diplo distance for being of the same culture group

Seems reasonably self-evident.

• Locked thread