Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Wait, what are you talking about? Is this something that happens later in new game+/recursion?

You haven't seen those green cloud things meandering around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhinohelix
Aug 19, 2007

Fun Shoe

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Wait, what are you talking about? Is this something that happens later in new game+/recursion?

No, even in the first run you see blue/gray/green wispy figures moving to objectives you will lead Red to, like terminals and doors. At least, I did. Sometimes if I was wondering if I missed anything or didn't exactly see where to go next, I would let them guide to the next thing. Whether they were supposed to be other people or Red, I am not sure; I just assumed the latter.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

:stare: I haven't, but to be fair I haven't progressed too far yet into recursion

e: ^ Maybe I'm just loving blind :shrug:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

They're in the first playthrough too. I never quite got what they were at first but playing through NG+ makes it feel like it's definitely Red going through the Rucursion.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
I am very bad at this game. Please, someone, help me to be better at the video game. I feel like I am in constant danger of dying because I'm just not really doing enough damage.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Poultron posted:

I am very bad at this game. Please, someone, help me to be better at the video game. I feel like I am in constant danger of dying because I'm just not really doing enough damage.

If you're ever in real dire straits, just activate turn-based-mode and run away from the danger since time is frozen while you're executing your moves. You can also use turn-based-mode to walk up to an enemy, squeeze in a couple hits, and then walk back to where you were so you don't even have to get close. It depends on where you are in the game, but if you're at the point where you can have the 'use X ability during cooldown' skill that'll help keep the mobs at bay while you recharge.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

You can walk through enemies when you're in Turn(). Use to get behind them, since any backstab attacks do more damage.

It also helps to focus on 1 enemy at a time. Lead off with Crash(), which reduces their defenses, then follow up with another attack.

As for the green wisps, I believe those are instances of other people playing the game, which were why the game stutters/stuttered so much. It was trying to pull network data.

I *think* the devs mentioned this but I'm not 100% positive.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Generally you're not under time pressure - do a bit of damage, then jaunt around to keep away from the enemy while turn() recharges. mask() or charm() also help a lot - finish off your combo with a charm() on whatever's dangerous, and dodging becomes much easier.

Weeds heal enemies - I quite like adding load() to jaunt() and then jaunting back and forth past weeds to blow them up in real time.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Charmed Weeds will heal you while you're near them. Most of the Process aren't terribly effective against each other, but Weeds and Cheerleaders are prime Switch targets.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I just finished Transistor and I think my feelings mirror that of a lot of people here. The combat and the visuals were amazing, in fact I think the combat might be better in this one than in Bastion's. I think this game loses something in the story. It still has effective parts but it really reminded me of Dark Souls, in a bad way. Like the plot was purposefully obfuscated but without anyway of finding it out more about it. I think overall it's a great game, but maybe just a tiny bit worse than Bastion.

Also, Royce reminded me a lot of Mason Verger from the Hannibal TV show for some reason.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

rhinohelix posted:

One thing I haven't really thought about enough is why Blue/Unknown/the Narrator isn't trapped in a jar in the Transistor like the other Functions who are contained within. At the end fight, can't you see the names of the folks in their pods, as it were? I guess the answer would be that he was unexpected/an anomaly but I would think there is more, at least for me, to would out there.

The way I see it is that the Transistor "sorts" people according to the traits of their Selections. Since Blue never Selected, he didn't get a pod; instead, he was left wandering around in the Country, and the presence of his unassimilated self within the Transistor is what caused everything to get hosed up in the first place. Red was another partial; her voice was processed but a voice doesn't have a Selection, so when she entered the Transistor in the ending the rest of her joined the part of herself that was originally assimilated.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Just beat it.

Enjoyed the combat until around the end, when it suddenly got a bit to easy. Hopefully NG+ with Limiters forces me to try a few new things. I didn't like the tests nearly as much as "Who knows where", mainly because they lacked story and kept breaking up the core part of the game.

I found the story fairly simple, and didn't find it obfuscated at all. The Camerata were sick of the citizens uncaringly making choices for Cloudbank without putting any thought into it. Royce found the master key for the Process through his work, and offered it to Grant. They wanted to make a meritocracy, where the intelligent/influential citizens would be allowed to control the cities development through the Transistor, and began integrating all the major people throughout the city. Presumably Sybil was in the process of integrating with the Transistor before Red was attacked, and Grant/Asher would integrate after everything else was handled.

Sybil fell in love with Red however, and convinced the other Camerata to integrate her as well, though she wasn't on the list. Red's boyfriend/friend sacrificed himself to save her, leading to the opening of the game. From then you can interpret it however you want. Either she's trying to save the city/get answers, or she's trying to bring her boyfriend/friend back. Once she finds out she can't do either, and the Process has rebuilt most of the city back to factory settings, she goes and joins all the other integrated citizens/her boyfriend in the Transistor because what else is there. The world is gone, it's being rebuilt according to the Processes factory design.

Oxxidation has pretty much summed up the reasons why the Process went feral as well, so I don't need to retread the ground he did.

e: Performance Tests are the worst because it's random Functions every time, but usually waves of enemies that require specific strategies to beat. Yeah thanks game for only giving me Ping/Get against 4 dogs.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 26, 2014

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I just finished Transistor and I think my feelings mirror that of a lot of people here. The combat and the visuals were amazing, in fact I think the combat might be better in this one than in Bastion's. I think this game loses something in the story. It still has effective parts but it really reminded me of Dark Souls, in a bad way. Like the plot was purposefully obfuscated but without anyway of finding it out more about it. I think overall it's a great game, but maybe just a tiny bit worse than Bastion.

Also, Royce reminded me a lot of Mason Verger from the Hannibal TV show for some reason.

Honestly, I don't get how people are a fan of this combat. The pacing is generally poor and there's little to no flow to it. I do think that the level of customization that the system gives you is pretty savvy so I understand how people can attach to the idea of creating their own, personal strat, but the mechanical execution left much to be desired. While prepping for combat was fun, the actual act of combat for me left me cold.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What bitrate is the MP3 version of the soundtrack?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I was also really disappointed with this. A meandering story, completely linear FF13 "walking down a twisting tube" type gameplay that had you going through open doorways with no way to go back to the other side for no reason, a constantly blathering sidekick that will never shut up and is just a collection of short voice clips that play for any and no reason, and sluggish controls.

The only redeeming features are the art and the combat, and even the combat got old quickly and was overly slow.

If anyone is on the edge about this, don't get it until it's in a humble bundle for super cheap or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brackhar posted:

Honestly, I don't get how people are a fan of this combat. The pacing is generally poor and there's little to no flow to it. I do think that the level of customization that the system gives you is pretty savvy so I understand how people can attach to the idea of creating their own, personal strat, but the mechanical execution left much to be desired. While prepping for combat was fun, the actual act of combat for me left me cold.

I'm not exactly clear what else you want from the combat. The customization is enough that you can quite literally play the game however you want, including as a straight action game, and it works.

I said it earlier but it is very similar to something like Parasite Eve or Vagrant Story but with more you can do in combat in-between 'turns' and more flexibility as to how you approch combat.

I do wish the game was harder, but I felt the same was about Bastion and Limiters help that a bit by offering customization difficulty, but the core combat is really fun to play, especially if you're switching up tactics to try new things.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 26, 2014

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not exactly clear what else you want from the combat. The customization is enough that you can quite literally play the game however you want, including as a straight action game, and it works.

I said it earlier but it is very similar to something like Parasite Eve or Vagrant Story but with more you can do in combat in-between 'turns' and more flexibility as to how you approch combat.

I do wish the game was harder, but I felt the same was about Bastion and Limiters help that a bit by offering customization difficulty, but the core combat is really fun to play, especially if you're switching up tactics to try new things.

Honestly, I think Parasite Eve and Vagrant Story both have similar issues to a degree. Though to be fair I think Vagrant Story never locked you out of performing actions like Transistor does. Maybe I'm just not a fan of action combat interspersed with turn based stuff; it just "feels" unresponsive.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

haveblue posted:

What bitrate is the MP3 version of the soundtrack?

The Steam version is 320kbps, I imagine you can get the same on Bandcamp.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Brackhar posted:

Honestly, I think Parasite Eve and Vagrant Story both have similar issues to a degree. Though to be fair I think Vagrant Story never locked you out of performing actions like Transistor does. Maybe I'm just not a fan of action combat interspersed with turn based stuff; it just "feels" unresponsive.

It does have that same issue with Vagrant Story and PE in that, while it seems like you're free-running and able to dodge enemy attacks under your own power, they turn you into hamburger meat outside of Turn() if you're not behind cover. FFXII did it too, come to think of it, but that was an MMO thing.

Despite its looks, Transistor can't be played like a brawler in the same way Bastion could. You need to use movement- or AI-inhibiting skills like Get() and Switch() on enemies if you want a hope in hell of effectively engaging them outside Computer Bullet Time. Running around trying to dodge their attacks will only make you die tired.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I finished this game a few days ago, and I have similar opinions to what's already been discussed, that the gameplay, art, and music was fairly solid, while the story could have been executed better. I did like it for what it was though, though making a lot of the world and character development missable through terminals is problematic. I think I got most of the terminals, so a lot of the story beats made sense to me. What I did like a lot was a lot of the little things, such as Sybil's function being Help(), which is a nice little implication about her character from what we know of her. I interpreted as her ultimately still wanting to be Red's friend despite the whole murder/betrayal thing. Also Hello World just amuses me even if it is the most basic programming reference.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tin Hat posted:

The Steam version is 320kbps, I imagine you can get the same on Bandcamp.

Thanks!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I think if you were able to use all your functions during Turn() cooldown by default, and enemies were balanced around it, this game would only benefit. It's possible to build around it, but the almost total helplessness against hitscan turrets and dogs and stuff during Turn() cooldown feels bad, man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

I think if you were able to use all your functions during Turn() cooldown by default, and enemies were balanced around it, this game would only benefit. It's possible to build around it, but the almost total helplessness against hitscan turrets and dogs and stuff during Turn() cooldown feels bad, man.

You're not helpless. You can dodge, turn invisible, hide behind walls or various combinations of skills that amplify those things. If you're getting pounded by dogs or turrets with no way to escape and with Turn() down, you screwed something up.

It is way more of an RPG than an actual game but that isn't a bad thing.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Brackhar posted:

If we put in lanes and item would you like the combat better? The combat was fun, tense when you dont have any TURN available but I could see how it wasn't for everyone.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Ferrinus posted:

Slap Jaunt and whatever the kinetic/damage booster is onto Breach and the cooldown phase becomes a bonus round where you whack your enemies around like ping-pong balls. In fact, it's more efficient to burn down some enemies out of Turn this way - Youngladies just crumble when they can't do their clone-evade thing.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

ImpAtom posted:

You're not helpless. You can dodge, turn invisible, hide behind walls or various combinations of skills that amplify those things. If you're getting pounded by dogs or turrets with no way to escape and with Turn() down, you screwed something up.

It is way more of an RPG than an actual game but that isn't a bad thing.

Dominic White posted:

Slap Jaunt and whatever the kinetic/damage booster is onto Breach and the cooldown phase becomes a bonus round where you whack your enemies around like ping-pong balls. In fact, it's more efficient to burn down some enemies out of Turn this way - Youngladies just crumble when they can't do their clone-evade thing.

Yes, I said you could build around it. I ended up spamming Crash + Load + Jaunt to just stunlock everything near me while waiting for Turn to come back up. It would've been more fun if I could actually use all my skills in real time and take periodic turns, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

Yes, I said you could build around it. I ended up spamming Crash + Load + Jaunt to just stunlock everything near me while waiting for Turn to come back up. It would've been more fun if I could actually use all my skills in real time and take periodic turns, though.

Then Turn() has literally no downsides and is just a super mode that comes up every few seconds, and the entire flow and design of combat changes which requires you to reconsider how every skill is designed.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Then Turn() has literally no downsides and is just a super mode that comes up every few seconds, and the entire flow and design of combat changes which requires you to reconsider how every skill is designed.

You're right, turn has literally no downsides, except for disabling all your powers while it's on cooldown.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

You're right, turn has literally no downsides, except for disabling all your powers while it's on cooldown.

I was talking about in your theoretical situation where Turn() doesn't disable moves.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I was talking about in your theoretical situation where Turn() doesn't disable moves.

Oh, poo poo, I'm sorry. Somehow I completely missed the word "then".

In my experience, Turn() effectively doesn't disable moves anyway, because most moves are too slow to use outside of Turn() within reason, and you never roll without at least one move linked to Jaunt such that you can use it outside of Turn(). Like I said, I just kept Crash+Jaunt handy and spammed it to stunlock enemies while waiting for Turn(I'm going to just stop using the parentheses) to come back up. Outside of Turn, enemies are so fast, accurate, and aggressive that natively being able to turn around and Breach them or something wouldn't do much to the balance of the game - especially not much that you couldn't handle by just tweaking enemies rather than changing the systems the player is using.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

Oh, poo poo, I'm sorry. Somehow I completely missed the word "then".

In my experience, Turn() effectively doesn't disable moves anyway, because most moves are too slow to use outside of Turn() within reason, and you never roll without at least one move linked to Jaunt such that you can use it outside of Turn(). Like I said, I just kept Crash+Jaunt handy and spammed it to stunlock enemies while waiting for Turn(I'm going to just stop using the parentheses) to come back up. Outside of Turn, enemies are so fast, accurate, and aggressive that natively being able to turn around and Breach them or something wouldn't do much to the balance of the game - especially not much that you couldn't handle by just tweaking enemies rather than changing the systems the player is using.

The thing is that the way moves are designed, they come in rougly two forms:

Fast moves that are effective to use outside of Turn but less effective in Turn, and Slow moves which do huge damage but are difficult to use outside of turn. Certain attacks in general become way more effective if you build them properly to use outside of combat, such as Bound. It sounds like you're having trouble of trying to use strong hard-hitting moves outside of Turn without building them to be faster or better compensating for their weaknesses.

It's entirely possible to set up a build that can function without using Turn at all and still be fast and effective. Ping, Bound, Help and various other abilities can be hugely effective. These moves are roughly balanced by the fact that they can be disabled if you use Turn() and Turn() still gives you a damage increase over the straight attacks thanks to backstabbing and such.

It would absolutely wreck the balance of the game if these things had no drawnback. The game is already relatively easy and if you could spam Bound + Purge + Void even when Turn() was on cooldown, no amount of Limiters in the world would actually be able to overcome it because you'd basically just be spamming attacks nonstop with no drawnbacks at all.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 26, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think Red being kinda crappy in direct combat makes sense narratively. She's a singer rather than any kind of fighter or hero. She's not believably suited for fighting directly, so she basically has to cheat. That can lead to the gameplay outside of when you get to cheat feeling kinda lovely if it's done poorly. I can definitely understand people not liking how relatively helpless you feel outside of turn, and I don't know if my interpretation of it was intentional on the developers' part, but I think it does feel consistent and can lend more challenge to the game. For example dogs.

Making a character ever feel relatively helpless without also feeling bad to play is a really hard balance to strike though, and I don't begrudge anybody who dislikes that kind of gameplay.

Also the shielded cells limiter is probably one of the best ones to use if you want to increase difficulty without making the game feel too bullshit like increased damage limiters and the like tend to.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 26, 2014

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

The thing is that the way moves are designed, they come in rougly two forms:

Fast moves that are effective to use outside of Turn but less effective in Turn, and Slow moves which do huge damage but are difficult to use outside of turn. Certain attacks in general become way more effective if you build them properly to use outside of combat, such as Bound. It sounds like you're having trouble of trying to use strong hard-hitting moves outside of Turn without building them to be faster or better compensating for their weaknesses.

It's entirely possible to set up a build that can function without using Turn at all and still be fast and effective. Ping, Bound, Help and various other abilities can be hugely effective. These moves are roughly balanced by the fact that they can be disabled if you use Turn() and Turn() still gives you a damage increase over the straight attacks thanks to backstabbing and such.

It would absolutely wreck the balance of the game if these things had no drawnback. The game is already relatively easy and if you could spam Bound + Purge + Void even when Turn() was on cooldown, no amount of Limiters in the world would actually be able to overcome it because you'd basically just be spamming attacks nonstop with no drawnbacks at all.

No, I've long since beaten the game. Just as you say, I stapled either Crash or Ping to Jaunt and just mowed enemies down outside Turn. My favorite combination, Crash+Load+Jaunt, stunned multiple enemies for a longer time than Crash's cooldown and as a bonus could crack multiple shielded cells at a time once they'd spawned. It's just, it's kind of lovely when you don't do that, and kind of boring when you do - there's substance to what Brackhar's saying, in other words.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

No, I've long since beaten the game. Just as you say, I stapled either Crash or Ping to Jaunt and just mowed enemies down outside Turn. My favorite combination, Crash+Load+Jaunt, stunned multiple enemies for a longer time than Crash's cooldown and as a bonus could crack multiple shielded cells at a time once they'd spawned. It's just, it's kind of lovely when you don't do that, and kind of boring when you do - there's substance to what Brackhar's saying, in other words.

I guess I don't really see it as boring, especially when the game is flexible enough that you can come up with new combinations that play differently whenever you want. A lot of games can run into the problem of feeling 'samey' once you get a grasp on their combat and in Transistor's case (partially aided by its short length), I never felt like it was samey. The same encourages you to swap your skillsets out at every save point and so if you feel like you're wrecking poo poo in a boring way, the logical thing is to come up with something new. There are so many varieties and so much customization that I never felt like I would be stuck having nothing to do in Turn() cooldown, it just depended on what I was doing. Considering that you unlock more character bios and stuff by swapping equipment, I feel like this was the playstyle they tried to encourage as well.

It is an easy game but like I said, Bastion was incredibly easy and pretty one-note if you didn't swap up your weapons/equipment as well. It's about what I expected from the developer. They don't create focused encounters you have to overcome, they create sandbox systems you can play around with. I certainly understand it not being for everyone, I just don't see its design philosophy being hugely different aside from being an RPG instead of an action game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 26, 2014

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I wouldn't call Transistor too easy in general, I just think that rote game knowledge creates too big a swing in difficulty. Certain enemies are absolute murder between Turns until you learn One Weird Tip and you're just spamming RMB to repeatedly cast the one skill you've linked to Jaunt while waiting for Turn to cool down so you can unleash another obliterating death blast. If your out-of-Turn options were less swingy (i.e. they weren't either "nothing" or "unavoidable stunlock") in exchange for out-of-Turn enemies being less arbitrarily unavoidable unless totally neutralized, it'd be nice.

Transistor really needs an expansion pack with an entire second campaign, or at least one that adds a ton of content to the first or something. I'd liked to have seen some actual puzzles or a hub area you could visit different sections from or whatnot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

I wouldn't call Transistor too easy in general, I just think that rote game knowledge creates too big a swing in difficulty. Certain enemies are absolute murder between Turns until you learn One Weird Tip and you're just spamming RMB to repeatedly cast the one skill you've linked to Jaunt while waiting for Turn to cool down so you can unleash another obliterating death blast. If your out-of-Turn options were less swingy (i.e. they weren't either "nothing" or "unavoidable stunlock") in exchange for out-of-Turn enemies being less arbitrarily unavoidable unless totally neutralized, it'd be nice.

Transistor really needs an expansion pack with an entire second campaign, or at least one that adds a ton of content to the first or something. I'd liked to have seen some actual puzzles or a hub area you could visit different sections from or whatnot.

I literally never overloaded until I reached the final boss (and there it was kinda difficult to avoid) so I really did feel the game was too easy, especially since I had like 3-4 limiters on at any given time. (I left -6 Memory off because I did feel that one was really boring and unfun.)

I don't think any enemy is particularly unfair, each one just has a specific gimmick you need to figure out how to fight around. Even at absolute bare minimum, with nothing else equipped, the two moves you can always use in Turn()down are one which lets you move incredibly quickly out of the range of enemies and one that literally turns you invisible for like half the default cooldown. Enemies are not unavoidable at all. Between walls, Jaunt, Turn() and Mask, you can generally avoid huge chunks of damage unless you screw up, and I think it's fair to be damaged if you screw up.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

See, my first playthrough, I was trying to unlock all the character information, so even after I found powerful combos, I kept breaking them up in order to use things in new slots.

Most people who disliked Transistor's gameplay describe themselves "using ___+____+____ over and over again". Well, that's your problem there. As soon as you're bored with a battle strategy, give it up and try something funky, even if it means you're being less effective. If finding a combination that works renders you unwilling to mix things up until you find a combination you find fun, then a game with this amount of flexibility isn't going to work out well for you.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Of course, if you're using all the limiters you can as soon as you get them, it really quickly sieves out what you can use and what you can't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

Of course, if you're using all the limiters you can as soon as you get them, it really quickly sieves out what you can use and what you can't.

I would say there's still a lot of things you can use with 90% of the Limiters. The one I'd say is the biggest game-changer is 'put shields on cells' because you really do need something to break the shield while Turn is on cooldown, especially with the reduced Cell respawn limiter active too. I don't think any other Limiter is as big a gamechanger as that one when it comes to viable builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Was anyone else not totally sold on Red's relationship with the guy in the sword? I mean obviously he's mad about her, but since she's mute you don't see a lot of reciprocation. Even when she starts leaving him terminal messages they tend to be kind of noncommittal like "I'm going to get you out of the sword". I never got the impression she was so intense about it that she would do what she did at the end.

• Locked thread