Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mrs. nicholas sarkozy
Jan 1, 2006

~let me see ya bounce that bounce that~
Alright so I'm confused about part of this movie's plot, but I might be missing something here and it's bugging me. So the whole idea was that Mystique killing Trask turned humanity against the mutants and started the Sentinel death robots program. But the government already thinks Magneto killed JFK?! Murdering a defense contractor merits building death robots but murdering the president doesn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jackman's said he's only doing the role one more time and the script has to be incredible, I don't think he's attached to the next film. Neither are Stewart or Mckellan. It's almost certainly going to be the "young" cast.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
I may be late to this, but Dinklage was motivated by the dwarfism. He right out says that he's against mutants because they would force humanity to unite and improve themselves, and his ego booster pic that hides the dossiers reeks of "inferior human wins out over the competition through the only way he knows how: ruthless breakthroughs". It was really nice how they juxtaposed the evil monologue with the Sentinel onslaught; it made actually root for the sentinels over the second it took us to realise that we too were giving ourselves over to fear.

I really hope that next movie they don't go back to Rogue or Jean. Kitty has more stage presence, and a gently caress it Hope Summers movie is way better than another love triangle.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 26, 2014

Pattycakes
May 12, 2014

WHO WANTS A PATTYCAKE!?!

mrs. nicholas sarkozy posted:

Alright so I'm confused about part of this movie's plot, but I might be missing something here and it's bugging me. So the whole idea was that Mystique killing Trask turned humanity against the mutants and started the Sentinel death robots program. But the government already thinks Magneto killed JFK?! Murdering a defense contractor merits building death robots but murdering the president doesn't?

I wondered this in the movie too. The closest reasoning I could work out was that the government viewed Magneto as a rouge villain and wasn't truly aware how many mutants there were. After Mystique killed Trask, the government realized "Oh poo poo, all mutants are like Magneto and Mystique." That leads them to start the Sentinel program because all mutants are obviously bad and must be captured/destroyed. When Mystique doesn't kill Trask, the government realizes that Magneto doesn't represent the entire mutant population so they do not start the Sentinel program.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

So this is relevant and amazing...

http://imgur.com/gallery/8cS3w

( My forgiveness if this was posted but I didn't see it. )

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Dave posted:

I saw that earlier today, Jackman looks like a baby.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Shakugan posted:

Saw this last night and really enjoyed it Quicksilver was such a stage stealer.

People already discussed various plotholes, but the strangest thing for me was how "future" the future was. Like, it was supposedly 2023, only 10 years after the Wolverine, but in that time supposedly an apocalypse basically occurs, humans and mutants are put into camps, there are suddenly gigantic spaceships flying everywhere etc. It seemed like way too much of a stretch for that to be 10 years after the Wolverine rather than 30 or 40..

I also wish that the mechanism for time travel had been a bit different, and allowed more of the original X-men cast to go back in time. I really could have done with more Ian McKellen in the movie. Alternatively the future could have been slightly less bleak to allow more plot to go on there rather than just "try to survive long enough while Sentinels attack"

Singularity at work. The Sentinels being super adaptoids just accelerated the process. I could have enjoyed a glimpse of Sentinel city and their human collaborators though.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Loved the movie but felt it was a bit of a cop out to just kill 90 percent of First Classes cast off screen.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

Loved the movie but felt it was a bit of a cop out to just kill 90 percent of First Classes cast off screen.

Don't worry, they can come back.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I enjoy how the movie doesn't explain how Patrick Stewart isn't dead and leaves it up to the viewer to piece it together from post-credits scenes (or having someone tell me) and also how Ellen Page doesn't age in 20 years, or anyone else besides Wolverine's hair. That silliness aside this was a really fun and clever movie, except all the horrifying deaths.

quote:

No they died before the movie happened, so they're just dead except Havoc.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Reading Discworld books, it's obvious that Xavier's new body altered itself into the form of Patrick Stewart by conforming to his morphic field.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
What if Xavier actually didn't look like Patrick Stewart in the future but he was just projecting that image with his mind?

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
^^^ wouldn't suprise me at all considering he was doing that very thing in DoFP to Mystique

RBA Starblade posted:

No they died before the movie happened, so they're just dead except Havoc.

I think he means there could be more time travel or retcons or what have you since the X-men movies now seem to be embracing the silliness of the comics but in the best way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Or they listened to the fans and culled the characters played by lovely actors.

The Dog Patch
May 24, 2014

Some Things Just need some chaos to keep it exciting

Jack Gladney posted:

I envy him for not having seen the first Wolverine movie, but X-Men 2 was also half about this so probably they could assume you might know about it.

I do know the whole weapon X thing but considering you almost always see the wolverine with his adamantium claws it was different seeing him with his bone claws. I do want to see a movie of him getting adamantium regrafted to his body but that I think is a spoiler.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Rhyno posted:

Or they listened to the fans and culled the characters played by lovely actors.

Or just lovely characters, save Azazel.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Never in a million TRILLION years did I ever think we'd see Cyclops again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Slim Killington posted:

poo poo, I forgot Jason Flemming played Azazel. There goes my theory.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

BrianWilly posted:

And is it just me or is young Magneto just extraordinarily dumb in this film for no particular reason? Everything he does, even down to the thing about him accidentally killing JFK when he was actually trying to save him (how????), felt like the actions of a man who couldn't plan more than two steps ahead to save his own life.

Wasnt he just bullshitting Xavier, taking advantage of the fact that he cant read his mind?

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
For those wondering, Apocalypse's powers are literally anything the writers want them to be.

Technically, he's supposed to be able to just grow to any size he wants and turn his arms into guns/swords/shields and poo poo. He's also an immortal (believed to be the first mutant) and is pulling out a zillion other powers out of his rear end at any given time (telepathy, matter manipulation, flight, energy beams, etc etc)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Slim Killington posted:

I legitimately liked Emma Frost, at least in the scene when she's got the Russian guy thinking he's screwing her, when she's really sitting there :munch:ing.

She needs to come back. I mean, c'mon, January Jones is beautiful. :swoon:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Dave posted:

They really wanted to make sure you knew it was the year 2000 when they dressed themselves that morning. Such innocent times.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

spidoman posted:

Azazel, Angel, Banshee, Emma: Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Why did Magneto's hat look so old and stony even though he refinished it at the end of First Class?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

scary ghost dog posted:

Why did Magneto's hat look so old and stony even though he refinished it at the end of First Class?

I don't think it was the same helmet.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I don't think it was the same helmet.

But he took it out of that vault with all the other props from First Class.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Here's my idea for the next X-men movie:

gently caress timelines. gently caress backgrounds. We know who these people are. Just throw the dream team into it and be loving done with it. Prof X, Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Beast, Wolverine, Rogue, Iceman, Gambit, Nightcrawler, Shadowcat, Colossus, Deadpool

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

scary ghost dog posted:

That seriously threw me off - suddenly it's this ancient relic thats been rusted by the sea. Also Wolverine calling everyone by their first name except Storm - its loving Ororo!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

scary ghost dog posted:

But he took it out of that vault with all the other props from First Class.

The design looks slightly different. I mean, the rest of his uniform changes as well.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

The design looks slightly different. I mean, the rest of his uniform changes as well.

It looks SUPER different. It's definitely not the same helmet:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheJoker138 posted:

I didn't feel like GISing, thanks for that. I was right!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

E the Shaggy posted:

Never in a million TRILLION years did I ever think we'd see Cyclops again.

I really hope they do something with him in the subsequent films. James Marsden is a great actor and Cyclops is my hands down favorite X-man. Even if they re-cast the role to get someone younger, I just want to see badass tactician leader Cyclops on film once.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

E the Shaggy posted:

For those wondering, Apocalypse's powers are literally anything the writers want them to be.

Technically, he's supposed to be able to just grow to any size he wants and turn his arms into guns/swords/shields and poo poo. He's also an immortal (believed to be the first mutant) and is pulling out a zillion other powers out of his rear end at any given time (telepathy, matter manipulation, flight, energy beams, etc etc)

Yeah he's pretty great.

En Sabah Nuhr, and what not.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The Dave posted:

drat how did Halle Berry get away with that outfit???

And what is it with awful depictions of Richard Nixon in movies? I think the best one I've seen so far is in Black Dynamite.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cacator posted:

drat how did Halle Berry get away with that outfit???

And what is it with awful depictions of Richard Nixon in movies? I think the best one I've seen so far is in Black Dynamite.

Watchmen had a really good Nixon.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

TheJoker138 posted:

Is it a big deal really? They're two different movies from two different directors and Singer likely just took things in a different stylistic direction this time, it happens all the time with movies and especially comics. The "battle" outfits for the X-men team have varied between every film.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

TheJoker138 posted:

They had to design the prop in First Class to fit both Kevin Bacon and Michael Assbender's heads, so it was an oversized mess. They could re-design it for this one, but yeah, they went a little overboard on the cosmetic changes.

As for Nixon? I'll never believe any portrayal of him that isn't in Futurama. Even actual recordings of the man sound wrong because they're not done by Billy West.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Stonefish posted:

They had to design the prop in First Class to fit both Kevin Bacon and Michael Assbender's heads, so it was an oversized mess. They could re-design it for this one, but yeah, they went a little overboard on the cosmetic changes.

Do you have a source that says they literally only had one helmet for this reason? And why would that matter when the helmet he's wearing at the end is another completely different one than what he's wearing through the earlier parts of the film:

They are three totally different helmets.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

TheJoker138 posted:

Do you have a source that says they literally only had one helmet for this reason? And why would that matter when the helmet he's wearing at the end is another completely different one than what he's wearing through the earlier parts of the film:

They are three totally different helmets.

Not him but I kinda assumed that he'd gone to the trouble of having the helmet painted after the Cuba scene and also stuck that little thingie on the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

TheJoker138 posted:

Watchmen had a really good Nixon.

No, I definitely filed that one under "bad Nixon". Mainly due to the ridiculous prosthetic nose.

• Locked thread