Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

That Return To Ravnica set didn't have any good legacy cards. ;)

Yeah man, it's not like there's been a block, a core set, and two (awful) sets in-between. :D

Edit: seriously though, I'm not denying RTR had some good stuff, I'm referring to the 6 sets that came after.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

AnacondaHL posted:

Ahaha I just finished T-64 with Breakfast Burrito. Like I was just handed cash for that deck's performance. Thanks goons! :)

I tuned in to watch Bahra a few days ago and right away I saw a dude play Balustrade Spy targeting himself. The transition from "wait what is this guy doing" "I guess this is like worse Belcher?" "why does he have a cerberus" *scoops as soon as he sees Balustrade Spy in game 2* was priceless :allears:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

rabidsquid posted:

Yeah the numbers I got were WAY OFF on that one, so I was wrong there. However the creature isn't seeing play in legacy at all and I think calling something a design mistake for seeing a lot of Modern play is just a thing I can't agree with.

Also saying the card is seeing a ton of Eternal play just based on Modern is really misleading. You could say the same thing about Spellskite if that were the case.

Sorry but "Snapcaster Mage should be red, it's dominating Legacy" is a pet peeve of mine.

I'm seriously not saying that-- I don't think it's a design mistake, but a development one. I know it seems like I'm splitting hairs, but I do think that's an important distinction. If a card is a design mistake, it should never have seen the light of day. If it's a development mistake, there are tweaks to the card that could have been made to make it playable.

Snapcaster Mage should be red, but not for power reasons; it should be red because granting flashback to cards in your yard is red. The color pie is important. I know I sound like Maro, but seriously, it is.

Modern is a huge and growing non-rotating format, and the fact that one card is dominating it so hard can't just be dismissed. Spellskite is played as a counter to one of the most commonly played infinite combos in Magic-- look at the stats, it gets played on average as a 1.5-of instead of 3.6-of. And it gets played less than half as much as Snapcaster. There's always going to be a "best" creature, but when the "best" creature is so vastly better than second best it's an issue. Snapcaster is dominant in Modern for the same reason it doesn't show up much in Legacy; Deathrite Shaman is banned in Modern and not in Legacy. It is a very efficient hate card. Just because efficient hate has been printed for a given card doesn't make that card not a mistake.

And again, Delver is a bigger issue than Snapcaster. Snapcaster in Modern is annoying as hell, but mostly because it makes Blue more efficient at what it's already doing. Delver is too strong in an inappropriate way.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
On the other hand, only 1 Delver deck made top 8 of today's SCG Open and only 3 were in the top 16. Really nice diversity this particular week among the best performing decks.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

MiddleEastBeast posted:

On the other hand, only 1 Delver deck made top 8 of today's SCG Open and only 3 were in the top 16. Really nice diversity this particular week among the best performing decks.

Yeah, today's SCO is actually really exceptionally cool. I love these Shardless decks. Also, I loved that "Food Chain, exile all my dudes, Emrakul" play.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
There's an article on the mothership about the story arc of Theros, including Elspeth's fate. Also: cool art.

Looks like Elspeth is gonna punch a hole through the underworld eventually. Xenagos too, presumably.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zorak posted:

There's an article on the mothership about the story arc of Theros, including Elspeth's fate. Also: cool art.

Looks like Elspeth is gonna punch a hole through the underworld eventually. Xenagos too, presumably.

Elspeth goes red with Xenagos and rages against the gods?

Probably not, but it would be interesting to see what would happen if existential party boy and floor mat knight became buddies, or at least partners.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Ramos posted:

Probably not, but it would be interesting to see what would happen if existential party boy and floor mat knight became buddies, or at least partners.

Magic: the Gathering: the Sitcom

Also written by MaRo.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Ramos posted:

It's kind of interesting because the only RW planeswalker is (a version of) Ajani. Maybe Elspeth can join him.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

RoleModel posted:

Also written by MaRo.

Come on, it's clearly going to be a Buddy Cop television show.

Coming to the USA television network Q4 2014

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Man that cloudpost vs BUG game 3 was awesome.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

KidDynamite posted:

Man that cloudpost vs BUG game 3 was awesome.

The dream is over, but drat it was fun to watch happen. I was on edge seeing if he could top deck Emrakul for the match.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Oraculum Animi posted:

It's kind of interesting because the only RW planeswalker is (a version of) Ajani. Maybe Elspeth can join him.

I could dig that.

Then she'd make 1/1 soldiers with haste as her + ability!

:suicide:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
If I had to guess, probably a B/W Elspeth, no? All the people who leave the Theros underworld so far as listed as a type of undead.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 26, 2014

Sep 13, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

If I had to guess, probably a B/W Elspeth, no? All the people who leave the Theros underworld so far as listed as a type of undead.

Is there an actual undead planeswalker? The closest I can think of is a BW vampire and a mono-black necromancer. They could do something stupid and make a WBR Elspeth, revenge keeping her from fully dying. I'm just talking out of my rear end right now, there probably isn't precedent for that.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I want Grandma Sengir as the first one mana plainswalker.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Haven't touched mono-black in two months. Picked it up today (with the green splash) for Game Day, walked out with the playmat, didn't drop a game. Yep, still the best deck in the format.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I want Grandma Sengir as the first one mana plainswalker.

:colbert:

Also yes I was rooting for Post so bad :( that deck is incredibly fun to play.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Elspeth should give her spark to Xenagos so he can escape, but more for our benefit because not seeing her ever again would be super rad.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Oraculum Animi posted:

Is there an actual undead planeswalker? The closest I can think of is a BW vampire and a mono-black necromancer. They could do something stupid and make a WBR Elspeth, revenge keeping her from fully dying. I'm just talking out of my rear end right now, there probably isn't precedent for that.

I just don't think 3-color walkers are going to be a thing too often because they're so limited in what decks can use them. The best option would be mono-black undead Elspeth ("Elspeth, the Returned") who makes zombie tokens instead of soldier tokens. :allears:

Sep 13, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

I just don't think 3-color walkers are going to be a thing too often because they're so limited in what decks can use them. The best option would be mono-black undead Elspeth ("Elspeth, the Returned") who makes zombie tokens instead of soldier tokens. :allears:

That might intrude on Liliana or Sorin's schtick. There isn't a BR planeswalker (except Nicol and Sarkhan) so that could happen. I guess I'm just stuck in the anger and death-crazed idea.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I was rooting for Rynkiewicz :( I know he was playing very cautiously and conservatively, but I still think that the turn he Thoughtseized he should have taken out the Delver, dropped Liliana and -2 to take out the other Delver, and held back the Decay. He'd leave Craig with the Ponder in hand, but he'd have had Liliana on the board with nothing that could stop it from +1ing at least once (and unless Craig Pondered into TNN nothing could stop it from then being able to -2). Even if Craig hit the TNN Rynkiewicz could Decay the sword and then beat him in a race with Tar Pit and Shardless Agent.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

RoleModel posted:

Also written by MaRo.

OneDeadman posted:

Come on, it's clearly going to be a Buddy Cop television show.

Coming to the USA television network Q4 2014

Either one would be better than what we have now

edit: there's some new art in that article.

cuntman.net fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 26, 2014

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I'd take it as a functional reprint of DRS.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I'd take it as a functional reprint of DRS.

Just get some alters done. Your Grandma Sengir Deathrite will be the talk of the table!

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
What kind of decks have good matches against Jund monsters? I'm already planning for next game day.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

kizudarake posted:

What kind of decks have good matches against Jund monsters? I'm already planning for next game day.

My Golgari midrange deck tends to wreck it as long as the removal shows up in half decent amounts. Reaper is an awesome blocker and Herald of Torment can quickly win the game bestowed on one. I imagine Junk would be even better with Deicide and Not O-Ring to get rid of those pesky gods.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Went 4-1 at Gameday, then split with Top 4 for the play mat. Was running a Selesnya Constellation, splashed red for 1 main board Assemble the Legion and two sideboard Boros Charms. I love the friggin' thing. :allears:

Only game and round losses were to Esper Control.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

kizudarake posted:

Boros Burn wrecks it as long as you are able to pull off at least 1 Warleader's Helix to their face. I played a Junk Midrange deck yesterday as my win-and-in match at a SCG IQ. He barely won game one, ending at 2 life. I murdered him game two. And I lost game three after topdecking the only Helix I saw the entire match sitting at 1 life and my white source being mana confluence. (My opponent was tapped out at 4 life.) And I only saw a single Chain to the Rocks as well.

Boros gets access to Satyr Firedancer, Chain to the Rocks, and best-of-all, Reprisal.

My first match was against Mono-B/g. Game three, my opponent has 2 Desecration Demons out and is sitting on 4 life. After hitting me down to 2, he Devour Fleshes himself, which I Skullcrack. I then Reprisal his second Demon at the end of the turn while he was holding onto a Golgari Charm. (This emptied my hand.) But clearing his field gave me the extra turn I needed to topdeck a Magma Jet for the win.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Mikujin posted:

Elspeth should give her spark to Xenagos so he can escape, but more for our benefit because not seeing her ever again would be super rad.

What's it like having terrible opinions?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Rogue 7 posted:

As someone whose not a fan of Elspeth I wouldn't know. :shrug:

mcnealys baby
Nov 3, 2002

ohhh here we go

Rogue 7 posted:

The only thing more amazing than people trolling the Magic thread on SA, is watching the people who keep feeding them.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Just gimme my goblin planeswalker. It's bullshit that the elves and merfolk get one yet goblins don't. It doesn't have to be THAT good, like maybe it costs two mana and has "+1: Put a goblin into play with haste". :v:

jscolon2.0 posted:

Nissa hardly counts.

Nissa is dumb but at least she got to be a planeswalker somehow.

Make Squee a planeswalker WotC thanks in advance

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 26, 2014

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Just gimme my goblin planeswalker. It's bullshit that the elves and merfolk get one yet goblins don't. It doesn't have to be THAT good, like maybe it costs two mana and has "+1: Put a goblin into play with haste". :v:

Nissa hardly counts.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mercury Crusader posted:

Nissa is dumb but at least she got to be a planeswalker somehow.

Make Squee a planeswalker WotC thanks in advance

The merfolk planeswalker has nothing to do with merfolk, tho.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

forbidden lesbian posted:

The merfolk planeswalker has nothing to do with merfolk, tho.

I prefer Timmy McKrakenlover over whatever a "real" merfolk walker would be, anyway.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Xenagos and Elspeth meet up in the Underworld, agree that the gods of Theros are all (except maybe Ephara I guess) bullshit assholes, and it turns out that his budding divinity was what was making Xenagos act so badly out of character for RG in the first place. They then team up, bust out of the underworld, and kick Heliod in his stupid backstabbing face.

This is what's going to happen and I reject every other possible reality :colbert:

Mercury Crusader posted:

That would actually be stupidly good. For a two mana investment you get a free raging goblin every turn? Even if that was literally the only ability on the card, it'd be amazing. I mean, Tibalt was terrible, but a two-mana walker is something you do *not* want to be overpowered.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 26, 2014

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
Elspeth & Xenagos team up as the Junk planeswalker.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Mikujin posted:

Seriously though, Elspeth is the most boring character ever forever.

I'm a sword lady who doesn't like war, follow me around while I fight wars trying to avoid wars because I am the embodiment of painfully obvious objective morality, conflicted with my desire to avoid conflict.

Eugh, Sorin is a way better good guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

The Lord of Hats posted:

That would actually be stupidly good. For a two mana investment you get a free raging goblin every turn? Even if that was literally the only ability on the card, it'd be amazing. I mean, Tibalt was terrible, but a two-mana walker is something you do *not* want to be overpowered.

Look I just want to make my EDH deck even more degenerate, and also to make Goblins a Good Deck in Modern at the cost of several other decks that may not be able to handle it. :downs:

• Locked thread