Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I heard there might be stuff on SA besides TV IV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Part of me would want to try and start a new separate TV IV site, but it would probably be doomed to failure. I'd still idle in IRC until the channel died forever.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Mu Zeta posted:

I might have to go outside

Don't do it, the sun will kill you.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Josh Lyman posted:

I heard there might be stuff on SA besides TV IV.

As much as everybody bitched about the "Tumblr-fication" of the forums, that's where most of the forum's actual income comes from. Let's Play is pretty much subsidizing the site at this point.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

As much as everybody bitched about the "Tumblr-fication" of the forums, that's where most of the forum's actual income comes from. Let's Play is pretty much subsidizing the site at this point.
I was introduced to my roommate of 5 years by a goon, and I was inspired to adopt my cats by a couple threads.

So basically everything good in my life is because of SA. :unsmith:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

I was introduced to my roommate of 5 years by a goon, and I was inspired to adopt my cats by a couple threads.

So basically everything good in my life is because of SA. :unsmith:

"SA turned me into a cat lady" isn't the ringing endorsement you think it is.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Irish Joe posted:

I'm just going to come out and say it: Drawn Together is Comedy Central's most underrated original program. I know people go gaga over poo poo like Review and Amy Schumer, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't laugh more at DT's stupid gags than some unfunny schmuck in hipster glasses staring at a plate of pancakes.

You're getting as lazy as poo poo with your gimmick now Joe.

Pillowpants posted:

CW has at least 3 pretty good shows on it. The 100, Arrow, and Supernatural. Plus the flash and izombie coming.

Calling The 100 "good" is awfully generous. "Watchable", "not terrible", I'll give you, but "good", let's not be ridiculous.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Another thing I love about Sleepy Hollow is that it has some rad monsters. No "regular person with contact lenses and long nails" Supernatural bullcrap every episode.

Speaking of Supernatural, I think it's funny how killing demon-possessed humans was such a moral quandary for them in season 1-2, but once they get the demon-killing knife they almost immediately start giving negative fucks about the humans inside and by where I'm at in season 8 they don't even bat an eye. Sam and Dean have to be the kind of legendary murderers people tell campfire stories about in the Supernatural universe.

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 26, 2014

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Whaat no tv tonight?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fooz posted:

Whaat no tv tonight?

No, weirdos go outside or something on memorial day weekend. Which means we get to be bored as poo poo tonight.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Eh I have 4 episodes of Fargo to catch up on.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
FWIW, Penny Dreadful and Mad Men are both new tonight.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

raditts posted:

Calling The 100 "good" is awfully generous. "Watchable", "not terrible", I'll give you, but "good", let's not be ridiculous.
Got as far as the second episode before I decided not watchable for me.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

IRQ posted:

No, weirdos go outside or something on memorial day weekend. Which means we get to be bored as poo poo tonight.

The Normal Heart looks alright :shobon:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

raditts posted:

Speaking of Supernatural, I think it's funny how killing demon-possessed humans was such a moral quandary for them in season 1-2, but once they get the demon-killing knife they almost immediately start giving negative fucks about the humans inside and by where I'm at in season 8 they don't even bat an eye. Sam and Dean have to be the kind of legendary murderers people tell campfire stories about in the Supernatural universe.
In the Nazi Necromancer episode last season they murdered all the Nazis without hesitation because hey, Nazis may be fully human but they're worse monsters than actual monsters... and the audience identification character noted they were complete psychopaths.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Crisis is back too, which is kind of a (pleasant) surprise; I'm glad all 13 episodes are going to air at least. Hopefully there's no cliffhanger (I'm sure there will be).

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Mad Men leaked, avoid the thread if you don't want spoilers I guess.

Pattycakes
May 12, 2014

WHO WANTS A PATTYCAKE!?!

DivisionPost posted:

Crisis is back too, which is kind of a (pleasant) surprise; I'm glad all 13 episodes are going to air at least. Hopefully there's no cliffhanger (I'm sure there will be).

Honestly, I don't want to watch the show if there's going to be cliffhangers. There's nothing worse than investing time in a show that never has a resolved ending. I'm planning to wait for all thirteen to air and see if there is cliffhangers before watching any more episodes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm wrapping up S1 of Vikings so I haven't checked any threads about it, but what percentage of posts are about Travis Fimmel's eyes?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

I'm wrapping up S1 of Vikings so I haven't checked any threads about it, but what percentage of posts are about Travis Fimmel's eyes?

Too few. That bastard has the wildest looking eyes on TV.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's hard for me to even say how skilled an actor he is, he can do so much with just looks and crooked grins, it's such a massive natural advantage over a normal human.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

It's hard for me to even say how skilled an actor he is, he can do so much with just looks and crooked grins, it's such a massive natural advantage over a normal human.

Yeah, he's a pretty good actor with words, but he's a great actor with the smallest of expressions.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's a surprisingly competent show for being the History Channel's first stab at scripted drama. It doesn't look cheap at all, and while I'm not a Viking scholar, it has that sense of authenticity that makes it seem real. Pleasant surprise.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
So, because I live near Philadelphia, the Hannibal finale was pre-empted for me by a shameful baseball game, and I finally FINALLY got to watch the finale tonight.

I feel like I did after I read Blood Meridian for the first time. Nothing could have prepared me for that, and I don't want to watch TV again for a month or three because what could possibly compare?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

In The Flesh had a new episode tonight too, along with Continuum.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Normal Heart was real loving good

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Remember how great Behind the Candelabra was?

The Normal Heart was a lot better. Holy poo poo. I can't think of a bad performance from any cast member, even the Big Bang Theory guy was pretty good. It may honestly be my film of the year (at least thus far) even though it only aired on TV.

Watch it if/when you can. Can't wait to see how many Emmys it gets.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

THAT SEASON FINALE WAS INCREDIBLE HOLY poo poo

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

THAT SEASON FINALE WAS INCREDIBLE HOLY poo poo

Finished the rest of Last Man Standing already?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I think Occ was watching Sleepy Hollow.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

DivisionPost posted:

I was enjoying Crisis ok, but then that SS agent kicked Koz's rear end, I knew immediately the writers/director didn't know what they were doing and dropped the show.

Has anything interesting happened lately?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Femur posted:

I was enjoying Crisis ok, but then that SS agent kicked Koz's rear end, I knew immediately the writers/director didn't know what they were doing and dropped the show.

Has anything interesting happened lately?
It escalated into an all out war with the CIA, Washington got Live Free or Die Harded, and the kidnappers finally killed a kid.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

So, with the rapidly approaching death of the forums is there any good alternatives or successors out there?

Neogaf is pretty good. No seperate TV forum, but lots of TV threads and mostly good posters.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Cardboard Box A posted:

In the Nazi Necromancer episode last season they murdered all the Nazis without hesitation because hey, Nazis may be fully human but they're worse monsters than actual monsters... and the audience identification character noted they were complete psychopaths.

One of the things that Supernatural did well during the Kirpke years, and something they did in that episode, is to never paint the brothers or people like them as regular folks. They're utterly broken and they know it. They were dealt a lovely hand but they just keep wading through it because they literally can't do anything else and even if they wanted to that life would pull them back in. It's an existential nightmare.

On a Supernatural note. I'm happy to note that the racist truck episode is not the worst one the show has done, that honour goes to 'LARP and the Real Girl' in which we see that sad return of Felicia Day. Spirits were high when it opened up with an awesome death scene (If there's one thing that Supernatural has done well, it's kill people) but man, I do not like Felicia Day. She can't act, she just appeals to nerds for some reason because she is one I guess. Her whole appearence is pandering with her flexible sexuality and geek ways. It honestly feels like the writing staff were absent and someone scrawled down their fantasies into a script. I think it's the first episode in a long time where 42 minutes felt so so long.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

DrVenkman posted:

She can't act, she just appeals to nerds for some reason because she is one I guess hot.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

DrVenkman posted:

One of the things that Supernatural did well during the Kirpke years, and something they did in that episode, is to never paint the brothers or people like them as regular folks. They're utterly broken and they know it. They were dealt a lovely hand but they just keep wading through it because they literally can't do anything else and even if they wanted to that life would pull them back in. It's an existential nightmare.

On a Supernatural note. I'm happy to note that the racist truck episode is not the worst one the show has done, that honour goes to 'LARP and the Real Girl' in which we see that sad return of Felicia Day. Spirits were high when it opened up with an awesome death scene (If there's one thing that Supernatural has done well, it's kill people) but man, I do not like Felicia Day. She can't act, she just appeals to nerds for some reason because she is one I guess. Her whole appearence is pandering with her flexible sexuality and geek ways. It honestly feels like the writing staff were absent and someone scrawled down their fantasies into a script. I think it's the first episode in a long time where 42 minutes felt so so long.

The cartoon logic episode was way worse than the LARP episode. Like it's not even a contest.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

raditts posted:

The cartoon logic episode was way worse than the LARP episode. Like it's not even a contest.

I don't know, I can forgive that one because it's so gleefully stupid. LARP was just utter pandering. Like "Hey guys, here's this geeky girl you love, and now she's making out with another hot girl. It's your fantasies comes to life.".

One of the other things is that the show is usually good about bringing back cast members, and often does it for a good reason. This just seemed shoehorned in there, and she wasn't even that good in her first appearences. I have nothing against Day, I've only seen her in Dr Horrible, it's just how she's used.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Man I'm a big dumb baby and if you want to reduce me to a whimpering wreck all you have to do is point me at some sad or bittersweet episodes of Futurama and I'll be crying in a corner within 22 minutes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

DrVenkman posted:

I don't know, I can forgive that one because it's so gleefully stupid. LARP was just utter pandering. Like "Hey guys, here's this geeky girl you love, and now she's making out with another hot girl. It's your fantasies comes to life.".

One of the other things is that the show is usually good about bringing back cast members, and often does it for a good reason. This just seemed shoehorned in there, and she wasn't even that good in her first appearences. I have nothing against Day, I've only seen her in Dr Horrible, it's just how she's used.

If posters earlier in this thread are to be believed, they made her character gay to stem off the psychotic fangirl rage over any character that Sam or Dean might possibly show any romantic interest for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
I don't mind Felicia Day's character, even though I hate some of shoehorned in INSERT NERD JOKE thing that happens with her dialogue. I don't know why. It's like my brain separates the character from the INSERT NERD JOKE thing, somehow.

That said, the best gay character on the show is Crowley. Crowley's homosexuality is great because most of the time it's just kind of there, without comment... or he uses it to troll Dean's subtle but actually pretty disgusting homophobia.

• Locked thread