Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009
I really liked Magneto's red outfit at the end of First Class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Shadoer posted:

Right now I'd say it's unlikely and the case looks sketchy. It's a civil suit for reparations as opposed to an actual criminal case against him, it's coming up when his career is on the up, and it echo's old conspiracy that homosexuals have an innate desire to rape young boys. Also, I'd like to think that if there really were "gay rape parties" being held, the Police would have investigated it.

However the evidence hasn't been revealed yet, and there is a chance evidence will emerge and it will turn out this is legit. I think the odds of that are low, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.
What also makes this case sketchy is hell is that the plaintiff's counsel is Jeff Herman, who was the same lawyer who represented the plaintiffs in the 2012 sexual abuse civil suit against Elmo puppeteer Kevin Clash. Both Singer and Clash were (relatively) high profile and openly gay members of show business, so it stands to reason that they were even bigger targets because of the insidious belief that "gays are rapists" that continues to this day. But because this is a civil suit and not a criminal case, outside of a full confession from Singer, there's no way we can tell beyond a shadow of a doubt if the allegations are true or not.

I got a free pass after I went to watch "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" and the sound cut out at the last minute. Man oh man, I am so glad I used it on this movie and not to watch Spider-Man again. This movie was awesome and a better example of how to pull off the ensemble crossover than "The Avengers" in my opinion.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 26, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Benny the Snake posted:

What also makes this case sketchy is hell is that the plaintiff's counsel is Jeff Herman, who was the same lawyer who represented the plaintiffs in the 2012 sexual abuse civil suit against Elmo puppeteer Kevin Clash. Both Singer and Clash were (relatively) high profile and openly gay members of show business, so it stands to reason that they were even bigger targets because of the insidious belief that "gays are rapists" that continues to this day. But because this is a civil suit and not a criminal case, outside of a full confession from Singer, there's no way we can tell beyond a shadow of a doubt if the allegations are true or not.

There's a lot more backing the Singer accusations though. The whole "throw lavish parties and invite teenage boys" thing is kind of damning.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Rhyno posted:

There's a lot more backing the Singer accusations though. The whole "throw lavish parties and invite teenage boys" thing is kind of damning.
Granted. But hiring the guy who led a really similar case undermines the credibility of the accusations. Not only that, but the allegations against Clash were thrown out in 2012 and the decision was upheld in April of this year. Jeff Herman's only one more of this kind of case away from being a certified ambulance chaser.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 26, 2014

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cacator posted:

No, I definitely filed that one under "bad Nixon". Mainly due to the ridiculous prosthetic nose.

That's one of the reasons why it's a good Nixon. It's a caricature of him and works perfectly in the context of the film.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Cacator posted:

drat how did Halle Berry get away with that outfit???

I'm more shocked by Rebecca Romijn's purple-sheet-with-a-strap-keeping-it-tied-to-the-body 'shirt'.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 26, 2014

Winky
Jan 3, 2013

Atoramos posted:

Thought the CGI on the trains was rather poor. Apparently Havok was in this? Was he in the school at the end or was I just blind? Overall a good outing, though the tension didn't really make sense (once Charles and Erik knew the stakes, they could just have Kitty Pryde send someone else back in time before her future self fails.... But comic book logic Xavier is alive hey everyone look thataway!

This is from a few pages ago, but
They had to succeed on the first try; if Wolverine had been woken up before completing his mission then they'd have no idea what future they'd wake up in. Kitty could already be dead in that future, they could all be already dead in that future.

Winky
Jan 3, 2013

Baron Bifford posted:

Yeah, I understand he was getting nowhere with Congress and all that. It was still stupid.

Also from a few pages back, but
Given his character motivation, it would make plenty of sense that Trask very deliberately went to nations that were enemies of the US to peddle more sentinels. He wanted to make world peace through the collective hatred of mutants. To do so, he would need to do his spiel all across the first AND second world. He wanted to give both sides of the cold war an arsenal of weapons that could literally only shoot mutants.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Just saw it. Overall pretty good. It was nice to see Hugh Jackman's Wolverine acting more like a normal mature person and not the typical gruff angsty guy he usually is.

Quicksilver was the best part of the movie. Then as soon as he does his thing to break magneto out, he just....vanishes. What the gently caress?

I also want them to make a movie with no plot, but is just Fassbender Magneto walking around doing magneto things.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 26, 2014

Winky
Jan 3, 2013
We need a stand-alone Fassbender Magneto movie.

The character deserves it.

At least, more than Wolverine does.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Years ago who I had a (gay) co-worker talked about "Brian singers wild gay parties with young dudes" around the time of X-men 2 being released. I thought he was full of poo poo. No way someone would be so blatant about that sort of stuff/lifestyle and be such a high profile person. Then I read the allegations and I think its going to harm him, especially running around with that registered sex offender dot-com bubble millionaire.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Is there an inverted relation to movie quality and people stabbed by Wolverine? Because I think outside of First Class, this was the least stabby of xmen movies, and one of the best as well

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Winky posted:

Also from a few pages back, but
Given his character motivation, it would make plenty of sense that Trask very deliberately went to nations that were enemies of the US to peddle more sentinels. He wanted to make world peace through the collective hatred of mutants. To do so, he would need to do his spiel all across the first AND second world. He wanted to give both sides of the cold war an arsenal of weapons that could literally only shoot mutants.
And did he accept that he would be arrested and convicted for treason as part of that plan? Because he's not allowed to sell weapons to America's enemies and there's no way the government wouldn't have found out. He didn't even sell a single Sentinel before he got arrested.

It would have made more sense for Trask to approach a NATO state like Canada or Britain - y'know, a country that America actually permits its arms dealers to do business with.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 26, 2014

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

And did he accept that he would be arrested and convicted for treason as part of that plan? Because he's not allowed to sell weapons to America's enemies and there's no way the government wouldn't have found out. He didn't even sell a single Sentinel before he got arrested.

It would have made more sense for Trask to approach a NATO state like Canada or Britain - y'know, a country that America actually permits its arms dealers to do business with.

Maybe Trask just isn't a very smart guy. His plan for peace is rubbish, his robots are almost effortlessly turned against him and he ends up winds up destroying civilisation. .

Good at designing killer robots. Bad at everything else.

halwain
May 31, 2011
Maybe they will use Wolverine/Hugh Jackman as one of the 4 riders?
They can always explain it with some random power apocalypse gets in the movie.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Maybe Trask just isn't a very smart guy. His plan for peace is rubbish, his robots are almost effortlessly turned against him and he ends up winds up destroying civilisation. .

Good at designing killer robots. Bad at everything else.
As I said earlier, the whole scene was a stupid, forced attempt to tie the story to some pivotal historical event. First Class did this with the Cuban Missile Crisis but there it was at least logical. There was really no good reason for Trask to show up at the Paris conference, except for the mere sake of having the conference in the film.

Slap Happy
Apr 14, 2006

I wonder if alternate Professor X ever told alternate Wolverine that at one point in the future his brain would be replaced by original Wolverine.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

mrs. nicholas sarkozy posted:

Alright so I'm confused about part of this movie's plot, but I might be missing something here and it's bugging me. So the whole idea was that Mystique killing Trask turned humanity against the mutants and started the Sentinel death robots program. But the government already thinks Magneto killed JFK?! Murdering a defense contractor merits building death robots but murdering the president doesn't?
No - the whole idea was that Mystique killing Trask led to the Super Unstoppable World-Ending Sentinels. His death (rather than the president's) led to the Sentinel program because a) he is the creator of the sentinels and thus his martyrdom would fuel his research much faster and b) the murder of JFK was (at least to the general public's eyes) a joint mutant-human effort between Magneto and Lee Harvey Oswald (there's a jokey website they set up about this "historical event" somewhere that mentions they were both apprehended).

You're right, people were already scared of mutants then and even someone with all the brilliance of Professor X wouldn't be able to pick an ideal place in which to send back Wolverine to End All Mutant Discrimination Forever. Like, could YOU name a single specific historic point in which we could send someone back in time to prevent the American and European slave trade? Not really. Prejudice is prejudice.

Xavier and the rest of the Future!Mutants had limited resources and very limited time, so they sent Wolverine back to prevent a very specific event from taking place. And it worked - the Sentinels, their creator, and their creator's research were disgraced beyond repair. The Past!Mutants didn't do anything to curb the population's fear of mutants but what action would?

AnimeJune fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 26, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Cacator posted:

drat how did Halle Berry get away with that outfit???

And what is it with awful depictions of Richard Nixon in movies? I think the best one I've seen so far is in Black Dynamite.

Look at her. That's how she got away with it.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

mrs. nicholas sarkozy posted:

Alright so I'm confused about part of this movie's plot, but I might be missing something here and it's bugging me. So the whole idea was that Mystique killing Trask turned humanity against the mutants and started the Sentinel death robots program. But the government already thinks Magneto killed JFK?! Murdering a defense contractor merits building death robots but murdering the president doesn't?
You forget Mystique's DNA. Mystique was to get captured after killing Trask, and her biology was used to design those formidable future Sentinels. I think stopping them from getting Mystique's DNA was a more important factor in preventing the dark future.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/x-men-days-of-future-past/235915/hugh-jackman-clarifies-his-wolverine-plans

At least here the suggestion seems to be that Jackman's in for Apocalypse and Wolverine 2 rather than just one film, but it's hard to tell if that isn't just DoG's speculation based on his quote.

He also jokes about Old Man Logan which would be :allears:

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Can anyone explain how Magneto managed to take control of the sentinels? I understand that with metal inside them he could physically move them and make sure they can't attack him and see other mutants, but I don't understand how he was able to activate them in the first place

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Shakugan posted:

Can anyone explain how Magneto managed to take control of the sentinels? I understand that with metal inside them he could physically move them and make sure they can't attack him and see other mutants, but I don't understand how he was able to activate them in the first place

Magneto can do anything as long as its vaguely connected to magnetism.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Shakugan posted:

He persuaded them to join his side with his animal magnetism.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Because he put metal in the beepy thing that makes them turn on and work, duh.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Shakugan posted:

If you look more closely none of magneto's other uses of magnetism make any physics sense either!!!

This is just one of those things you have to suspend your disbelief for. You know, like mutant powers in general.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

messagemode1 posted:

If you look more closely none of magneto's other uses of magnetism make any physics sense either!!!

This is just one of those things you have to suspend your disbelief for. You know, like mutant powers in general.

Internal consistency and suspension of disbelief are not mutually exclusive.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

JFK related question:

1. Xavier says, "You killed JFK because the bullet's trajectory was curved".

2. Magneto is like "I didn't kill him, look at this face, would I lie to you?"

3. Later on he tries to kill Mystique by... curving a bullet's trajectory.

That's an obvious clue that Magneto was lying, right? He hit her when she was outside the window and he couldn't even see her anymore. There is no way he couldn't have prevented the JFK assassination if that's what he wanted to do.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Shakugan posted:

He used the iron train tracks to rewire the Sentinels. You can see the tracks splinter into wires and inject themselves into the system. Remember, this is after he spends who knows how long studying their schematics. It's about as realistic as you can expect from these movies.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Shakugan posted:

Internal consistency and suspension of disbelief are not mutually exclusive.

Magneto's powers have always been way more versatile than they should be. In that regard they are internally consistent.

When he was putting the metal in the sentinels you knew what he was doing, just not the degree to which he ended up doing it. The films have never shown us that he can't somehow control them, so technically there isn't an inconsistency.

Inzombiac posted:

He used the iron train tracks to rewire the Sentinels. You can see the tracks splinter into wires and inject themselves into the system. Remember, this is after he spends who knows how long studying their schematics. It's about as realistic as you can expect from these movies.

Also this. Far-fetched? Sure. Inconsistent? Not at all.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

DS at Night posted:

JFK related question:

1. Xavier says, "You killed JFK because the bullet's trajectory was curved".

2. Magneto is like "I didn't kill him, look at this face, would I lie to you?"

3. Later on he tries to kill Mystique by... curving a bullet's trajectory.

That's an obvious clue that Magneto was lying, right? He hit her when she was outside the window and he couldn't even see her anymore. There is no way he couldn't have prevented the JFK assassination if that's what he wanted to do.

Go to the movie promo site http://www.thebentbullet.com It looks like Mystique killed JFK and Magneto was trying to save him. Maybe Magneto was caught off guard or just became better with his powers.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

That, and during First Class when Professor X uses Cerebro to scan for mutants he doesnt recognize JFK.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
I could have sworn some of the promo materials painted the picture that Mystique was impersonating Eric in Dallas in some plot to get him arrested.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

Ok, I missed that he spent time studying their schematics. That makes more sense.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Shakugan posted:

Ok, I missed that he spent time studying their schematics. That makes more sense.

It was during the bit where he's shirtless so you might have been distracted.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

JoeRules posted:

I could have sworn some of the promo materials painted the picture that Mystique was impersonating Eric in Dallas in some plot to get him arrested.

Yeah basically he curves the bullet to try and keep it from hitting JFK but is unsuccessful because he is attacked and captured during his attempt.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

AnonSpore posted:

It was during the bit where he's shirtless so you might have been distracted.

He's also stitching up his head wound with his mind while also floating the projector pieces to view the film. Even when he's alone, he's a showoff.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/video/michael-fassbender-ian-mckellen-interview-175420801.html

I could care less about the sophomoric questions but McKellen and Fassbender interviewing each other is wonderful.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This is the first X-Men movie I've watched. It was great -- I could watch Fassbender wreck poo poo all day long and never get tired.

I'm kinda curious about how they listed the cast though. McKellen and Stewart goes right at the end despite their fairly significant role (especially Stewart). Is this just a case of two old guys saying "We don't care anymore, just throw us in somewhere at the end"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Vegetable posted:

This is the first X-Men movie I've watched. It was great -- I could watch Fassbender wreck poo poo all day long and never get tired.

I'm kinda curious about how they listed the cast though. McKellen and Stewart goes right at the end despite their fairly significant role (especially Stewart). Is this just a case of two old guys saying "We don't care anymore, just throw us in somewhere at the end"?

The final "and-as" credit is usually reserved for a more esteemed cast member in a role that is not the top billed role in the film.

• Locked thread