Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

So I keep a +10 dagger in my pocket as a backup weapon/for backstab and riposte purposes. At 50 int and only 22 dex, is this the one singular circumstance in existence where the enchanted infusion would be worthwhile?

Please try it and tell me how it goes, I've got a char in the same situation and wondered the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

GreatGreen posted:

I have a question about the plot, close to the end of the game:

So I got to where the King is wandering around naked, the part where you get his ring. I saw the Emerald Harold at the top of the stairs after I got the ring, but not before. Did I just not see her and miss a bunch of important dialog or does she not appear until after you get the ring?

She only shows up after you pick up the ring. She has magical anime teleport powers.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
And magical "no I can't be arsed letting you level up here and now" powers too.

Aaronepower
Feb 20, 2014

GreatGreen posted:

I have a question about the plot, close to the end of the game:

So I got to where the King is wandering around naked, the part where you get his ring at the end of the Undead Crypt. I saw the Emerald Harold at the top of the stairs after I got the ring, but not before. Did I just not see her and miss a bunch of important plot exposition or does she not appear until after you get the ring?

Does not appear until you take the ring

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Internet Kraken posted:

Terrible and completely misses the point of Vendrick's fight.

Vendrick is essentially just a giant hollow soldier. His attacks are similar to theirs, his movements nearly identical. All he does is shamble around aimlessly like they do. This is intentional. They wanted him to feel like a giant hollow because that's what he is. The curse has reduced him to a mindless husk. He's no more intelligent than all the other hollows you've seen up until now. the difference is Vendrick has incredible poower which he retains even in this state. Which is why despite moving like a zombie, he still hits like a goddamn truck. He still has incredible power, he just is incapable of using it because his mind has degraded completely.

If he actually pulled out fancy tricks and did crazy stuff then the fight wouldn't feel the same.

I'd rather they did it with something other than a massively boring boss fight.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Internet Kraken posted:

She only shows up after you pick up the ring. She has magical anime teleport powers.

Aaronepower posted:

Does not appear until you take the ring

Ok cool, thanks guys.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

It's completely optional at least, although the game really does lead you to the idea of killing him.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Internet Kraken posted:

Vendrick is essentially just a giant hollow soldier.

This bears repeating. Throughout the game, you've been sold on this idea that King Vendrick was an immensely powerful man who conquered four powerful souls, fought off an invasion of giants, and basically made Drangleic what it was in its heyday. Then he disappeared into the Undead Crypt for unknown reasons, and you're going to go see him. If you've played DS1, he's basically Gwyn. So you fight your way there to meet the king, to stand before possibly the most powerful person in Drangleic.

And he's a hollow. His clothes are in a pile behind him. His mind is completely gone, he probably doesn't even know who he is, or was, anymore. He knew what was happening and retreated from the world to, basically, die in peace, and apparently the only one he could trust was Velstadt. It makes that guy all the more tragic too - loyal to the end and then some. All Velstadt ever wanted was to protect what remained of the king he loved's dignity, and then you showed up and broke in, basically for entirely selfish reasons.

The whole point of that scene is to show what a pitiful creature the king has become. If he were anything other than a giant hollow, it wouldn't have worked out nearly as well. As it is, it's one of the best scenes in the game, in my opinion.

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
Is there an option to disable the annoying language filter? About 60% of all the names I see are composed partially of asterisks.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

This bears repeating. Throughout the game, you've been sold on this idea that King Vendrick was an immensely powerful man who conquered four powerful souls, fought off an invasion of giants, and basically made Drangleic what it was in its heyday. Then he disappeared into the Undead Crypt for unknown reasons, and you're going to go see him. If you've played DS1, he's basically Gwyn. So you fight your way there to meet the king, to stand before possibly the most powerful person in Drangleic.

And he's a hollow. His clothes are in a pile behind him. His mind is completely gone, he probably doesn't even know who he is, or was, anymore. He knew what was happening and retreated from the world to, basically, die in peace, and apparently the only one he could trust was Velstadt. It makes that guy all the more tragic too - loyal to the end and then some. All Velstadt ever wanted was to protect what remained of the king he loved's dignity, and then you showed up and broke in, basically for entirely selfish reasons.

The whole point of that scene is to show what a pitiful creature the king has become. If he were anything other than a giant hollow, it wouldn't have worked out nearly as well. As it is, it's one of the best scenes in the game, in my opinion.

Yeah but it falls flat since immediately after you discover he is essentially and inexplicably immortal and kills you in one swipe of his sword and the only way to beat him is to observe his left asscheek in extreme detail for a massive bossfight.

Sure the initial impact was great, the fight itself lacked zazz

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Haeleus posted:

Is there an option to disable the annoying language filter? About 60% of all the names I see are composed partially of asterisks.

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dark Souls II\Game\NGWord and rename the Chinese file to English and the English file to Chinese.

Azzents fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 26, 2014

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
But he doesn't have his soul on him. Would he still have hollowed if he kept his soul instead of locking it away in shrine of amana with his gear?

^ You can just right click on the game in steam and choose to browse local files. It might be in preferences.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Azzents posted:

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dark Souls II\Game\font and rename the Chinese file to English and the English file to Chinese.

Does this actually work, or does it just turn everything into Mandarin?

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Does this actually work, or does it just turn everything into Mandarin?

From what I understand the Chinese (and Korean) packs have no actual words in their censor lists. I've done the same thing and every still speaks English with English subtitles.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Pretty sure you want to swap the files in \Game\NGWord not \Font

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

Yeah but it falls flat since immediately after you discover he is essentially and inexplicably immortal and kills you in one swipe of his sword and the only way to beat him is to observe his left asscheek in extreme detail for a massive bossfight.

Is there a reason given for why the giant souls weaken him?

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

Domattee posted:

Pretty sure you want to swap the files in \Game\NGWord not \Font

drat, you're right. My bad.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Because the giants loving hate him.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Giant Souls item description is fairly clear:

The Giants are still mad as gently caress about Vendrick for coming into their land and wrecking up the place and killing loads of them unprovoked. The hatred emnating from their Souls weakens him.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I changed the NGWord earlier some time but it doesn't seem to work? Has there recently been a patch that might have overriden it?

Since this thread seems okay with ~*~Fashion Souls~*~, I feel like sharing my characters. I've already spent 120 hours on this game (PC) and will probably spend way more.
I'm on my fifth playthrough now and starting to get familiar with enemy placement, attack patterns and so, so my newest character is this badass:

I'm actually using a caestus in my offhand now for when I need a quick attack, but otherwise the same. Armor for looks, club for smashing.

My first char was a tanky bastard, edging 70% equip load so I could properly learn the game:

...But for NG+ I made him a dual caestus-wielding punisher:

Somewhere between that I also made a Castlevania gimmick build:

..and the cutest witch!

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 26, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The lead up to the Dragon Aerie is one of the most gorgeous sights I've ever seen in these games.

Not 100% sure what I'm accomplishing here (the Herald just told me to go meet an ancient dragon(her dad???)) but I don't care. I think I'll just stand here and enjoy the view.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Well because his kingdom got defeated by the giants long ago its obvious possessing their souls, which you have not seen and could not acquire till after you get the ring will make him weaker despite there being no evidence of this happening till you actually hit him while holding them. (and the single 'Or maybe...' in the giant souls description) :downs:

It makes sense AFTER you put the picture together that the giants hate him so much from beyond the grave they want to hate him to death since he stole the magic that makes golems work (which are suspiciously giant-like... they're the things that turn the bowl-keys and form the bridge to the throne of want) but before that its basically just an arbitrary 'find mcguffin to defeat gimmick boss'

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 26, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Motherfucker posted:

I'm not sure what you would propose because the way the fight is set up perfectly conveys Vendrick's story IMO. My only problem with it is that he has too much health. It doesn't need to take that long to kill him, and the fact that he hits incredibly hard is enough of a testament to his former power. Doing what your propose would just turn it into a generic boss fight with no story impact. Which might be more fun, but the game has plenty of fun boss fights. Vendrick being a story boss is fine.

Motherfucker posted:

Its not supposed to have zazz (what). Its not supposed to be an intense, epic battle. Its you murdering a near mindless husk of a former demigod. He doesn't have any ambition or thought left. He's running purely on a barely functioning instinct for self preservation. Its a testament to how far he has fallen that the fight against him is a pathetic struggle.

I don't get how you can miss the point of this so hard. You want to complain about a fight like this then look at Ancient Dragon. Its basically the Vendrick fight without the story relevance and the intensity of the damage and health cranked up to 11. Its horrible.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 26, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Not to mention the fact that he still has enough authority and power to Curse you just because. He's not using magic or anything, you just get cursed because Vendrick loving Says So.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

Well because his kingdom got defeated by the giants long ago its obvious possessing their souls, which you have not seen and could not acquire till after you get the ring will make him weaker despite there being no evidence of this happening till you actually hit him while holding them. (and the single 'Or maybe...' in the giant souls description) :downs:

It makes sense AFTER you put the picture together that the giants hate him so much from beyond the grave they want to hate him to death since he stole the magic that makes golems work (which are suspiciously giant-like... they're the things that turn the bowl-keys and form the bridge to the throne of want) but before that its basically just an arbitrary 'find mcguffin to defeat gimmick boss'

Actually you can get the first Giant Soul pre-ring.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm not sure what you would propose because the way the fight is set up perfectly conveys Vendrick's story IMO. My only problem with it is that he has too much health. It doesn't need to take that long to kill him, and the fact that he hits incredibly hard is enough of a testament to his former power. Doing what your propose would just turn it into a generic boss fight with no story impact. Which might be more fun, but the game has plenty of fun boss fights. Vendrick being a story boss is fine.

Well hang on.

I hate to compare to dark souls again but this game is lacking on that front too, the smelter demon, the persuer, velstadt and the ruin sentinals are literally all just 'big reach weapon guy who attack with long reach and wide angle yet easily avoidable attacks'

Hey guess what King Vendrick is.

Yep.

If there were more unique and interesting bossfights beforehand I'd be less inclined to bitch but there really wasn't many... They should have spent a little more time on them all as well

Sure it all sounds nit-picky but the nits add up and multiply off one and other, I mean the first time I fought pursuer I was like 'god drat!' but when I got to the smelter demon I was like 'hey its this guy again'

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Honestly, I really like how they contrast the giants in defeat and Vendrick in victory.
Vendrick has what effectively is eternal life, but he loses himself, and he loses all his memories, while the giants, even in death are imposing trees, but more importantly, they retain their memories and what they were even after dying.

Maybe that is also why Aldia experimented on them a whole lot? Their memories have permanence, while all the Undeads just fade away in time.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

My only problem with it is that he has too much health.

This can't be stated enough and I hope they'll do something to change this.
I've yet to kill him without 5 souls (requiring using a bonfire ascetic), since while he isn't very hard to dodge, doing so perfectly for 15 minutes is, and one hit means you're (I'm?) dead.

Motherfucker posted:

Well hang on.

What fight was more interesting? The only fight I was had an equivalent in DS2 is Artorias, but that was itself DLC so time will tell. Otherwise I personally much prefer this game.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 26, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Actually you can get the first Giant Soul pre-ring.

True I guess if you jump down that very specific hidden ledge in black gulch and kill those two huge and extremely difficult enemies who seem almost geared for someone of higher level than you would be if you happened to stumble on them.

Internet Kraken posted:

You want to complain about a fight like this then look at Ancient Dragon. Its basically the Vendrick fight without the story relevance and the intensity of the damage and health cranked up to 11. Its horrible.

Also yeah gently caress that guy.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Motherfucker posted:

True I guess if you jump down that very specific hidden ledge in black gulch and kill those two huge and extremely difficult enemies who seem almost geared for someone of higher level than you would be if you happened to stumble on them.

Alternatively, you poison them twice.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

And what kind of Dark Souls player would you be if you didn't?

A bad one, that's what.

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't get how you can miss the point of this so hard. You want to complain about a fight like this then look at Ancient Dragon. Its basically the Vendrick fight without the story relevance and the intensity of the damage and health cranked up to 11. Its horrible.

Through fire justice is served.

Sinner

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

Well hang on.

I hate to compare to dark souls again but this game is lacking on that front too, the smelter demon, the persuer, velstadt and the ruin sentinals are literally all just 'big reach weapon guy who attack with long reach and wide angle yet easily avoidable attacks'
Pursuer doesn't really have much reach at all, he's just fast.

The Ruin Sentinels are only really challenging when you fight them because there are several of them; but that aspect changes things considerably.

Motherfucker posted:

I mean the first time I fought pursuer I was like 'god drat!' but when I got to the smelter demon I was like 'hey its this guy again'
I don't think they felt remotely similar, especially because I died more times to the Pursuer immediately after Smelter Demon than I did to Smelter Demon himself. The difference in speed between the bosses is pretty noticeable.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Motherfucker posted:

Well hang on.

Hey guess what King Vendrick is.

Yep.

If there were more unique and interesting bossfights beforehand I'd be less inclined to bitch but there really wasn't many... They should have spent a little more time on them all as well

Sure it all sounds nit-picky but the nits add up and multiply off one and other, I mean the first time I fought pursuer I was like 'god drat!' but when I got to the smelter demon I was like 'hey its this guy again'

Someone specifically went and counted up all the bosses in both these games and guess what; the ratio of giant armoured humanoids to other stuff is almost exactly the same. You're wrong.

Even if it wasn't, you thinking Vendrick being a giant hollow soldier is a problem shows that you don't understand the story at all. He has to be that, or his story doesn't work.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

There are three separate reasons to go jumping down those ledges, and looking over ledges for important / secret stuff below is pretty much a staple of the series and happens in almost every level.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Pursuer doesn't really have much reach at all, he's just fast.

The Ruin Sentinels are only really challenging when you fight them because there are several of them; but that aspect changes things considerably.

I don't think they felt remotely similar, especially because I died more times to the Pursuer immediately after Smelter Demon than I did to Smelter Demon himself. The difference in speed between the bosses is pretty noticeable.

Yet the technique to kill them is quite similar and therefore felt samey to me.

Wait till combo is done, move in to attack, rinse, repeat, don't get greedy, worked for persuer, smelter, the ruins sentinels the velstat the king and pretty much all the enemies following that formula, despite a few of them having a few one off tricks all of them died pretty much to the same strategy.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I caught the Emerald Herald just kinda hangin' out. She was sitting on a rock kicking her feet back and forth like she was bored.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Red Crown posted:

I caught the Emerald Herald just kinda hangin' out. She was sitting on a rock kicking her feet back and forth like she was bored.

It's the way she stands up when you interact with her that cracks me up. Like she's trying to desperately hide what she was doing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Someone specifically went and counted up all the bosses in both these games and guess what; the ratio of giant armoured humanoids to other stuff is almost exactly the same. You're wrong.
I think it's partly because there's a bunch of them at the start of the game. Pursuer, Dragonrider, Dragonslayer and Ruin Sentinels are "big guys in armour", meaning that 4/6 of the first bosses you face could fit that type.

Compare to Dark Souls where you've got the Gargoyles, the Hydra and the Butterfly early on, even ignoring the variety in the demons.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 26, 2014

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Motherfucker posted:

Luckily, there are plenty of other bosses to fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Internet Kraken posted:

That "comparison" was pretty dumb though, to be fair.