Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Fenrir posted:

I'll quit rooting against everyone else in the NFC North when... eh, I guess when the Packers move divisions? Won't happen.

The Packers dominance over the Lions truly is remarkable and doesn't get talked about enough. It is completely embarrassing being a Lions fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Dattserberg posted:

The Packers dominance over the Lions truly is remarkable and doesn't get talked about enough. It is completely embarrassing being a Lions fan.

Well, the Lions beat us 40-10 last year :negative:

But really, over the last 20 years it's not been just the Packers keeping the Lions down. The Packers won the division half of those years, and the Bears or Vikings took the other half (and there was that one year Tampa won it before the realignment when Dungy was there).

If anything, the Lions have kept the Lions down. Poor drafts, an awful front office (Trigger Warning: Matt Millen), the lack of any kind of QB before Stafford, and all kinds of other poo poo contributed to the trainwreck. They're getting better, though. Hell, the Lions are now good enough that I have to actively root against them instead of just feeling sorry for them and their fans.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Goals for the season outside of my team

-Lions win NFC North
-Bengals lose the first round playoff game by missing a chipshot field goal
-Peyton Manning 20+ yard scramble
-Johnny Football getting sacked by three players at once and getting pulled to the ground like a damned soul being pulled into hell
-Michael Sam sack the poo poo outta a homophobe
-Cowboys go 9-7, win NFC east in week 17
-Jerry Jones dies day before Cowboys win NFC East
-Another Snow Bowl
-Vince Wilfork in ESPN body issue

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Goals for the season outside of my team

-Lions win NFC North
-Bengals lose the first round playoff game by missing a chipshot field goal
-Peyton Manning 20+ yard scramble
-Johnny Football getting sacked by three players at once and getting pulled to the ground like a damned soul being pulled into hell
-Michael Sam sack the poo poo outta a homophobe
-Cowboys go 9-7, win NFC east in week 17
-Jerry Jones dies day before Cowboys win NFC East
-Another Snow Bowl
-Vince Wilfork in ESPN body issue

My goals for the season outside of my team

-Packers get swept by NFC North
-Bengals lose first round playoff game to the Browns
-Peyton Manning dies
-Johnny Football getting sacked by three players at once and getting pulled to the ground like a damned soul being pulled into hell but then he escapes through dark sorcery and throws a 50 yard td pass
-The NFC East doesn't send anyone at all to the playoffs

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Fenrir posted:

Hell, the Lions are now good enough that I have to actively root against them instead of just feeling sorry for them and their fans.

Looks like one of the Lions' goals has already been accomplished. We did it, everyone!

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Beat the loving Niners, finally, and also win the Super Bowl and Aaron Rodgers as MVP, I think 2-3 each of MVPs and rings will be enough to get him in the Hall.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Eagles hopes/goals

1 - Nick Foles doesn't regress hard: It'd be impossible for him to match his TD/INT numbers from last year, but I can at least hope that he proves to be a franchise QB. He'll be working with a new QB coach this year and I have no idea how much of last year was on the previous one, or what the new guy is like. I don't know how much not having DeSean Jackson will matter.

2A - Sweep the Cowboys: gently caress the Cowboys.
2B - Win on Thanksgiving Doubly gently caress them on Thanksgiving. If for some reason we can't win both games I'd like to at least win the one on Turkey Day.

3 - Take the NFC East: It's still not looking like a strong division, and this should be possible. Washington looks years away from contention and Dallas is Dallas. Who the gently caress even knows with the Giants given that they look like poo poo 60% of the time and still stumble rear end backwards into the playoffs most years.

4 - A tribe of wandering Visigoths sacks the Jerrydome, raping, looting and pillaging. The siege lasts all season. All alcohol inside the dome goes foul. Trapped fans go insane with hunger and sobriety and resort to eating their own dead. Those who attempt to sneak away are captured by the invading army and forcibly baptized into fandom for another NFC East team (any). Shiva appears in the sky to claim the souls of the dead and banish them to a land of hungry souls to be eternally devoured. At halftime, week 17, Tony Romo leads a last valiant charge into the jaws of the Visigoth horde and turns them away. The dispersed army wanders north, gleefully exchanging the Jerrydome's priceless artworks in Oklahoma for a few cups of wine or a few nights of whoring. The Cowboys go 8-8 amid the chaos and Romo is blamed because he didn't get back to the field in time for the second half and Brandon Weeden hosed everything up.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

1. Beat Atlanta.

2. Make the playoffs.

3. Win at least a playoff game.

Anything else would be gravy as long as we don't get knocked out of the playoffs in an embarrassing way.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Prove me wrong

I see the Ravens as in a rut right now. We lack star power. Our run game is lackluster, our line isn't that good, our receivers are iffy at best. This is a team right now that lacks great producers and I see us as even kind of sub-mediocre right now. I wouldn't be surprised to see a string of 6-10 or so seasons with how we have been built.

I'd like to see a true monster emerge at some position on this team. We've always had some amazing player and I feel like we just don't have that right now. I can't think of one position where the Ravens can be said to be around the top in the league.

So prove me wrong. Show me the next Ed Reed or Ray Lewis or Haloti Ngata(before injury) or have Ray Rice be what he used to be or Bernard Pierce stop being hurt. Or even Flacco step up his game and become a star which is doubtful at this point. Torrey Smith is the closest thing we have.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I honestly don't know whether a Bears Super Bowl win or a Packers team with a really lovely quarterback would be more enjoyable for me as a football fan.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

R.D. Mangles posted:

I honestly don't know whether a Bears Super Bowl win or a Packers team with a really lovely quarterback would be more enjoyable for me as a football fan.

I would only trade a Bears Superbowl for Packers experiencing a really lovely quarterback if the bad QB play lasted for multiple years.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
College edition:

Washington Huskies

--Beat the loving Ducks
--Beat the loving Cougs
--Beat loving Stanford

That is all. Thanks for reading and God bless.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

DupaDupa posted:

I would only trade a Bears Superbowl for Packers experiencing a really lovely quarterback if the bad QB play lasted for multiple years.

See, this is why I don't get Bears fans. Why would you want anything but for your team to win a super bowl? I'd take another super bowl win over anything I could even imagine the Bears suffering. Granted, wishing bad QBs on you is kinda silly since you haven't had much of anything there between Luckman and Cutler, but still. The only way I could imagine not wanting to see the Packers win the super bowl is if it meant giving the Bears 4 more, because I want the Packers to always have the most Lombardis in this division.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Fenrir posted:

See, this is why I don't get Bears fans. Why would you want anything but for your team to win a super bowl? I'd take another super bowl win over anything I could even imagine the Bears suffering. Granted, wishing bad QBs on you is kinda silly since you haven't had much of anything there between Luckman and Cutler, but still. The only way I could imagine not wanting to see the Packers win the super bowl is if it meant giving the Bears 4 more, because I want the Packers to always have the most Lombardis in this division.

Probably because until Cutler the Bears QB list has read like Browns_jersey.jpg while Green Bay gets back-to-back HoFers.

There's also a lot of self loathing in TFF Bears fans and most of us would get more pleasure from seeing a miserable Green Bay fanbase than a happy Chicago fanbase. I don't even know if I can imagine a universe where people consider Jay Cutler the hero of Chicago, leading the team to a Super Bowl. They would say we won in spite of him, not because of him.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

GNU Order posted:

There's also a lot of self loathing in TFF Bears fans and most of us would get more pleasure from seeing a miserable Green Bay fanbase than a happy Chicago fanbase.

That's the part that I just don't get. Maybe it's a Chicago thing and I just don't understand it, but seriously gently caress that. I'll admit I have just as much schadenfreude as the average sports fan, but at the end of the day I just want my team to win.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

^^^^I'm still sick of hearing about 85 and how much of a pussy Cutler was for not going back in at the NFCCG. Also Start Hanie and Start McCow(i)n. Even the people who weren't born in 85 are living in the past.

Oh I should also post my own hopes and goals.

Offense
The Bears are a top 3 offense in PPG
Some actual, honest to god cohesion from the Offensive Line
All the skill positions continue to be balling out of control
Somebody can step up and fill the role of goal line RB/FB bruiser

Defense
The new D Line can generate more pressure up front and make things easier on the secondary
At least 40 sacks (in 2013 the Bears were tied for last with Jacksonville with 31 total)
Mel Tucker's defense isn't garbage and the transition process goes smoothly
Somebody teaches them how to loving tackle

Special Teams
Somebody steps up on the return game so the inevitable allusions to Devin Hester are positive, not wistful
Our new jack'd up punter can do better than 33rd in the league on Yards/Punt (yeah that's right 33rd)
The entire Special Teams unit also takes tackling lessons and pulls their own head out of their rear end

General
The players continue to be cool and pretty chill dudes
Cutler actively gives minimal fucks about stuff
Jared Allen puts on the display we brought him here to make
All of the old guys on defense keep it together for another year or two
Sweep the Vikings, don't get swept by the Lions or Packers
Take a shot at the playoffs and don't get knocked out before the last week if you're going to get knocked out

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I think this whole argument also speaks to the difference between NFL only posters and those who watch college football. NFL is all about wanting your team to win. College football is all about maximum schadenfreude. Winning is every thing or even the only thing, its just a nice thing that occurs while enjoying watching sad_fan_reaction.gif over and over.

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

Benne posted:

College edition:

Washington Huskies

--Beat the loving Ducks
--Beat the loving Cougs
--Beat loving Stanford

That is all. Thanks for reading and God bless.

--Finish above 5-4 in conference for the first time since 2001
--Don't lose by ~30 god drat points in the deserts of Arizona

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
To further expound on my point:

Florida Gators Hopes and Goals:

Don't care how many games we win as long as we beat Alabama, FSU, Tennessee, and Georgia.

Beating Kentucky would be nice as well to keep the streak going.

I hope we lose all other games and Muschamp is fired and we get Coach Dreamboat to leave Lubbock. Muschamp for some bizarre inexplicable reason stays as DC.

Also, a meteor hits the stadium right at kickoff of Georgia/Tennessee, but I feel at this point I am asking too much.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
GOD'S ONE TRUE TEAM: SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

1. Win the Superbowl
2. 16-0
3. Everyone in TFF has a lovely season

I hate all you fucks and I hate all your teams. I want you to be miserable forever.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?
My hope for this season is that Jay Cutler leads the league in QB rating, touchdowns, and yards, and pouts and yells his way through the whole thing while Terry Bradshaw, Howie Long, Jimmy Johnson, Joe Buck, and every other talking head cries about it.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

The South Carolina Gamecocks

1. Be the annual sacrifice to Alabama again.
2. Not lose a game to one of the cupcake SEC teams because we don't show up.
3. Go to a bowl that's not the loving Outback Bowl.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Vikings
I'd like the team to gain some ground and begin to develop under the new staff, I'd like the secondary to not be terrible, and the D-line to re-establish itself post-Allen. I'd like Teddy to take his sweet time entering the NFL, and not feed him to the grinder immediately. I'd like Adrian Peterson to live forever an never leave us or stop being beautiful.

At least split with the Bears, sweep Green Bay, do whatever with the Lions it doesn't really matter because no matter if we win or lose just being the Lions is punishment enough. Above all else though, gently caress Green Bay.

Honestly, league average in record is fine with me, so long as we lay the foundation for a systemic improvement after the last couple years.

University of Montana
I want to see this team dump our coaching staff and start over, their innovative thinking is lodged in 1987, and it's time to move on. I'm actually uncertain what the team's real identity is going to be, I feel like the players are a very new guard coming in, and I don't have the same "we always look great in the Big Sky Conference" feeling we've had for the last couple decades; not to say a dose of humility is a bad thing, but I don't really have any confidence they can put a coherent and effective unit on the field. This year could be rough, but if we can just beat the Bobcats, especially at Washington-Grizzly Stadium, the season is a good one.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Go Montana State Bobcats

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Go Montana State Bobcats

You know, I just watched the A Football Life: LaDainian Tomlinson a few weeks ago, and I loved it, because awesome runningbacks are the best, and I felt like you and me could be homies. But now, now I just don't know man.

That said, also Go Raiders, not because of what you said, but it'd make my dad happy.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Thaddius the Large posted:

You know, I just watched the A Football Life: LaDainian Tomlinson a few weeks ago, and I loved it, because awesome runningbacks are the best, and I felt like you and me could be homies. But now, now I just don't know man.

That said, also Go Raiders, not because of what you said, but it'd make my dad happy.

I just have two friends that went to Montana State is all :3

Also I went to Portland State briefly

Running Backs are the best though

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Zifnab posted:

--Finish above 5-4 in conference for the first time since 2001
--Don't lose by ~30 god drat points in the deserts of Arizona

--Make it to the Rose Bowl for the first time since I was in middle sch---hahahahahahhaha :smithicide:

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I'd settle for winning more than two games this year. Provided they at least look competitive during the rest of the season. Of course Chris Peterson finally decides to leave Boise the year after we have a vacancy. :smith:

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Benne posted:

--Make it to the Rose Bowl for the first time since I was in middle sch---hahahahahahhaha :smithicide:

same

Iron Clad Lou
Feb 12, 2008

The rest of the NFC North would all gladly cut off their Super Bowl hopes to spite the Packers because Green Bay fans are the most petulant self-righteous fat sacks of poo poo in the entire midwest and watching them lose is glorious because they absolutely cannot handle loss with any sense of grace or dignity.

Pragmatic hopes for the Vikings season:

~Everyone stays healthy.~
Bridgewater earns the starting job when the time is right, and plays as advertised.
Patterson & Wright both take a big leap in production.
Rhodes, Smith, Exum, Robinson & Munnerlyn all thrive under Zimmer's defense.
Robison, Barr & Griffen get 30 sacks combined. Barr is in discussion for DRotY.

8-8 at best.

Iron Clad Lou fucked around with this message at 13:41 on May 24, 2014

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
It would be so great if Ezekiel Ansah just went wild and ripped someone's head and spine out

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

WEREWAIF posted:

It would be so great if Ezekiel Ansah just went wild and ripped someone's head and spine out

Forget Clinton-Dix and Johnny Football and whatever else there is, this is the best name of the draft bar none. I'd love to hear all the color commentary if he did something awesome, they need Brian Blessed to just shout out his name any time he does something.

On the other hand, it's ripe for Chris Berman puns, yech.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
He's Ziggy instead of Ezekiel in broadcaster's minds, which kind of sucks. On the other hand

e: also we should probably be comparing him to Barkevious Mingo and Star Lotulelei.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 26, 2014

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Thaddius the Large posted:

Forget Clinton-Dix and Johnny Football and whatever else there is, this is the best name of the draft bar none. I'd love to hear all the color commentary if he did something awesome, they need Brian Blessed to just shout out his name any time he does something.

On the other hand, it's ripe for Chris Berman puns, yech.

Am I being wooshed, because Ansah was drafted last year.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
St. Louis Rams
-Win at least 8 games
STOP WINNING JUST 7
-Beat all division rivals at home at least
-Top 7 defense
Top 5 might be doable with the defense being coordinated by Gregg Williams
-Be in the middle third offensively.
Sam Bradford playing a whole season, as well as the improved offensive line should get them there.

Mizzou Tigers
-Win the SEC East again
-Not lose the SEC Championship game in the 4th quarter

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Grozz Nuy posted:

Am I being wooshed, because Ansah was drafted last year.

I'd like to say so, but it's actually just me being dumb and forgetting which draft was which.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

My goals for the cowboys are to go 8-8 and miss the playoffs by losing in week 17.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
For the Patriots? Short of winning a Super Bowl (which everyone wants for their team), I'd really like to see our defense not finish in the bottom half of the league in BOTH rushing and passing this year. Adding Revis and Browner was a good start--it means that our pass rush might actually have a chance to get to the quarterback with some regularity now (provided they can stay healthy).

Basically I'd like to see a return to those Patriots teams from 2001-2005, where our defense actually HELPED us win games rather than actively hindered us.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Houston Texans
-Be less of an embarrassment than last year
-Sweep the loving Titans
-Beat the Colts in Indy
-Have ok QB play

Arkansas Razorbacks
-Be less of an embarrassment than last year
-Beat Texas A&M
-Beat LSU
-Have a competitive game against Alabama and not lose so badly that Saban calls out his own fans for leaving early.

EDIT: rephrased the Colts point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011

JRizzle posted:

St. Louis Rams
-Win at least 8 games
STOP WINNING JUST 7
-Beat all division rivals at home at least
-Top 7 defense
Top 5 might be doable with the defense being coordinated by Gregg Williams
-Be in the middle third offensively.
Sam Bradford playing a whole season, as well as the improved offensive line should get them there.
These expectations are hilariously low, like you never expect to actually win.

• Locked thread