Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So after you get to Dragon Aerie and see the gigantic dragon at the back of the castle and speak with it, are you supposed to fight it or what? I'm kinda unsure about what to do next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I've seen enough of desert tilesets to last a lifetime playing Diablo games. I'll pass on that one!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think I had Int and Faith both > 50, which didn't leave that many points to spare once I'd put enough into Attunement stamina.

I had faith at 50 and int at 51. Why were yours so high? I had enough spices to attune every spell I wanted after also using the ring of knowledge for +5 int to attune soul geyser twice. Not that I used it on vendrick since it cast way too slow

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

GreatGreen posted:

So after you get to Dragon Aerie and see the gigantic dragon at the back of the castle and speak with it, are you supposed to fight it or what? I'm kinda unsure about what to do next.
Go back to the Forest of Giants and examine the dead giants.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

GreatGreen posted:

The safest approach is to leave and go back to the Forest of the Giants and do stuff there.

The harder and completely optional approach is to kill it, which does get you another Giant Soul. It's a hard fight though.

Jose posted:

I had faith at 50 and int at 51. Why were yours so high? I had enough spices to attune every spell I wanted after also using the ring of knowledge for +5 int to attune soul geyser twice. Not that I used it on vendrick since it cast way too slow
I wasn't using that ring, and probably had less spice than you.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

... we've never had a good desert. Deserts in general are something you really don't see in these sorts of games, really

You don't really see many deserts in any game and there's a good reason. They're really hard to make anything other than extremely boring/confusing/tedious. :geno:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Cool thanks guys.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
They had enough stuff to make a desert area... hell tseldora had a few 'deserty' set pieces as well.

I mean take the desert sorceressesseses, the scorpian men and I dunno, some kind of Egyptian style mummy all gross with scarab beetles, have some flowy sand, dank egyptian crypts and an oasis and you're done.

Your Computer posted:

You don't really see many deserts in any game and there's a good reason. They're really hard to make anything other than extremely boring/confusing/tedious. :geno:

Serious sam had some cool deserts...

Also spec ops the line...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Your Computer posted:

Motherfucker posted:

Serious sam had some cool deserts...

Also spec ops the line...

Also Anachronox and the first Guild Wars.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Breath of Fire 3 anyone?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Uldum in WoW is pretty too.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

All videogame deserts are confusing and tedious but the Vendrick boss fight is fine and good.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Motherfucker posted:

All videogame deserts are confusing and tedious but the Vendrick boss fight is fine and good.

Lmao you're really upset people didn't agree with your anime boss fight idea

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Journey is nothing but desert for most of the game.

Vendrick isn't terrible, he just has too much health and it becomes tedious fighting him because of how bad he is at actually hitting you.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
FFXIV ARR has a pretty great desert.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Red Crown posted:

I caught the Emerald Herald just kinda hangin' out. She was sitting on a rock kicking her feet back and forth like she was bored.
She's also idly kicking the dirt in some of her standing poses. You get the feeling that her unending life of waiting around the Majula bonfire for a chosen undead to actually succeed is intensely boring. I do have to say that I really like her costume design; there are a lot of nice little details yet it doesn't descend into Nomuran excess.

Is there a chart showing the hidden crit modifiers on weapons? I know the regular dagger has one, but I haven't seen much about whether other daggers or thrusting swords do.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

Journey is nothing but desert for most of the game.

Vendrick isn't terrible, he just has too much health and it becomes tedious fighting him because of how bad he is at actually hitting you.

His hitbox from the one safe spot being just beyond what a lot of weapons can actually hit is pretty obnoxious too. After a few attempts on my battlemage with a longsword or a mace I just gave up. Spells can't hit him and only one attack in the longsword could. The mace was worthless. And because he keeps getting caught up on the walls and can occasionally do any attack from anywhere, hugging the leg and slowly grinding him down didn't really work when I could take two hits before dying, and he just fucks you up if you try and heal after taking one. I had no idea he could curse you though, what attack does that?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Internet Kraken posted:

If he actually pulled out fancy tricks and did crazy stuff then the fight wouldn't feel the same.

I had an idea that if you died to him, he should absorb your souls/bloodstain and the next time you fight him, depending on how many souls he absorbed, he would gain new attacks/awareness. Reinforces the idea that maybe he should just be left alone.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Paracelsus posted:

She's also idly kicking the dirt in some of her standing poses. You get the feeling that her unending life of waiting around the Majula bonfire for a chosen undead to actually succeed is intensely boring. I do have to say that I really like her costume design; there are a lot of nice little details yet it doesn't descend into Nomuran excess.

Yeah I like her outfit, which sucks since its one of the few outfits you can't get.

Motherfucker posted:

For the most part yes. Glad we could clear this up.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Stokes posted:

Reinforces the idea that maybe he should just be left alone.

With this fandom it would enforce the exact opposite idea.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Stokes posted:

I had an idea that if you died to him, he should absorb your souls/bloodstain and the next time you fight him, depending on how many souls he absorbed, he would gain new attacks/awareness. Reinforces the idea that maybe he should just be left alone.

Oh cmon losing all your souls happens all the time.

If anything I'd kill him to see if I could get my souls back / recoup my losses.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

His hitbox from the one safe spot being just beyond what a lot of weapons can actually hit is pretty obnoxious too. After a few attempts on my battlemage with a longsword or a mace I just gave up. Spells can't hit him and only one attack in the longsword could. The mace was worthless. And because he keeps getting caught up on the walls and can occasionally do any attack from anywhere, hugging the leg and slowly grinding him down didn't really work when I could take two hits before dying, and he just fucks you up if you try and heal after taking one. I had no idea he could curse you though, what attack does that?

The safe spot is his entire back, just roll back when he does the sweep. You won't have any problem hitting him that way and it's really obvious when he's going to use any of his three attacks so you'll always know when to get out. Even the big leaping stab is easy to bait and dodge if you aren't trapped in a casting animation or something. That's his whole gimmick, he doesn't do a lot and takes forever to kill so he lulls you into complacency and then takes off most of your health in one hit.

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
I've seen enough of desert tilesets to last a lifetime playing Diablo games. I'll pass on that one!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I really like the Dragon Aerie. Dragon Shrine on the other hand... it's really those stupid hammer knights that keep doing for me. You assholes shouldn't be able to swing that huge thing so fast and so continuously.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Motherfucker posted:

They had enough stuff to make a desert area... hell tseldora had a few 'deserty' set pieces as well.

I mean take the desert sorceressesseses, the scorpian men and I dunno, some kind of Egyptian style mummy all gross with scarab beetles, have some flowy sand, dank egyptian crypts and an oasis and you're done.

I am glad your armchair developing doesn't impact the game.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
That loving jump to the manikins with claws will be the end of me.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 26, 2014

Jessie Tanner
Jan 18, 2013
Haha, have you guys seen the parry glitch? It lets you run on air, through walls and stuff. Speedrunners' delight. Noobest and Distortion are currently trying it out and Dist managed to grab the King's Ring without killing Velstadt etc. It's pretty crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOnV6VGwTy4

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Cowcaster posted:

So I keep a +10 dagger in my pocket as a backup weapon/for backstab and riposte purposes. At 50 int and only 22 dex, is this the one singular circumstance in existence where the enchanted infusion would be worthwhile?

Nobody answered you Cowcaster.

But, yes.

It's 0.5 Weight and it's a difference of almost 300-500 damage with most weapons for a riposte/backstab/frontstab.

My Mirrah Greatsword does about 700-900 damage (42 str/dex)
My Dagger does about 1100-1400 damage.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wow, strong magic shield and the throne defender's shield makes magic a non-issue in pvp. I was able to tank an opponent's affinity like it were nothing. He wasn't so lucky (we were on a staircase so neither of us could dodge). Just how much DR and stability does it add?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Jessie Tanner posted:

Haha, have you guys seen the parry glitch? It lets you run on air, through walls and stuff. Speedrunners' delight. Noobest and Distortion are currently trying it out and Dist managed to grab the King's Ring without killing Velstadt etc. It's pretty crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOnV6VGwTy4
http://www.twitch.tv/noobest
http://www.twitch.tv/distortion2

Convenient links. Look at people run around out of bounds.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
(Distortion is better at it.)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In NG+ the fire longsword and morningstar are losing their pizazz. For a replacement sword, should I go with broadsword, varangian sword, or drakekeeper sword? At under 16 strength what can I find as a better strike weapon than the morningstar? I do have the mace of the insolent and blue flame but I kind of want to keep my heavy attacks, and keep to using the black witch's staff.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I can't believe how much better Strike damage is than any other melee. You're basically hamstringing yourself by using any other weapon. Almost every enemy is vulnerable to it, the weapons scale off STR so that you actually get good damage and it does reasonable poise damage. Doing my Space Marine run has been a total breeze with just the Club / Large Club, I can't wait to get one of the big hammers to be my real Thunder Hammer.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

In NG+ the fire longsword and morningstar are losing their pizazz. For a replacement sword, should I go with broadsword, varangian sword, or drakekeeper sword? At under 16 strength what can I find as a better strike weapon than the morningstar? I do have the mace of the insolent and blue flame but I kind of want to keep my heavy attacks, and keep to using the black witch's staff.

Also very interested in this. I like 1-handed weapons but all the talk on interwebs are about Ultra Greatswords (go figure). The Broadsword seems nice, the Varangian loses durability too quickly. I think the Craftman's Hammer might be good?

Red Crown posted:

I can't believe how much better Strike damage is than any other melee.

This. When I finished the game on my first character, I tried out dual Caestus and completely out-damaged any of my other weapons. That was an eye-opener for sure.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Manikin log: Day 1

I've farmed these headless clawed bastards to extinction, only things I've managed to scrounge from them were a pair of old boots and three poison throwing knives, I will now attempt to resurrect them with something the old hags called a bonfire ascetic, hopefully it works.

Fate is truly cruel.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The drakekeeper sword is the best. Highest damage tied with the varangian, but with double the durability and more range than the broadsword. Still, none of them will do that much more damage than a longsword.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Red Crown posted:

I can't believe how much better Strike damage is than any other melee. You're basically hamstringing yourself by using any other weapon. Almost every enemy is vulnerable to it, the weapons scale off STR so that you actually get good damage and it does reasonable poise damage. Doing my Space Marine run has been a total breeze with just the Club / Large Club, I can't wait to get one of the big hammers to be my real Thunder Hammer.
Yeah, when I was doing my first run as a Dex build, I tried out a Magic Mace I found somewhere and it outdamaged all my other weapons. I think a Gyrm Hammer could be something similar to the Thunder Hammer, or the Drakekeepers' Warpick.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Haha, someone's hacking in the Belfries. They gave themselves infinite health and infinite seeds of a tree of giants.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Internet Kraken posted:

And games aren't allowed to have compelling stories? The fact is, you're complaining about a completely optional fight that you don't have to do and are never even prompted to start. The fight perfectly sums up the story of Vendrick and is an excellent moment where gameplay is used to tell story. If they'd turned it into the idiotic fight you described it would have none of that impact. I don't care if it would be fun, it would lack significance.

Well some people can appreciate a story and for them the Vendrick fight is really good, even if it isn't fun mechanically. If you don't care about the story fine, but Vendrick is 100% optional so I'm not sure why you feel obligated to fight him.

VVV A game is asking you to put some thought into a story and enjoy it rather than just mindlessly kill everything. How terrible :geno:

This false dichotomy bullshit needs to stop. Vendrick is cool thematically but dog poo poo AS A FIGHT to play IN A GAME.

A better developer would have reconciled these two things. That's the fundamental challenge of videogames versus novels, you have to reconcile gameplay and story. There was no reason it needed to be a boring lovely unfun fight, yet here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Haha, someone's hacking in the Belfries. They gave themselves infinite health and infinite seeds of a tree of giants.

Does the seed affect the mad warrior? If so that would be hilarious :v: