Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Okay, to phrase it better: Making a FE style game really difficult can be tricky, because it's easy to fall in the trap of either making it fairly luck reliant, especially in the first few chapters, or really hard if you don't do it the one intended way. Most of the games manage to stay clear of that, but sometimes you get RD Maniac and Awakening Lunatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Just so long as we're not claiming that most (if any) romhacks have any notion of fair and balanced game design. Though neither does IntSys sometimes, as evidenced by Lunatic Plus or recruiting a certain someone in Thracia.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

cheetah7071 posted:

This is only true for people who are really really good at the series (like probably half the people in this thread). For people who don't have multiple dozens of playthroughs under their belts, and who haven't beaten multiple games at their hardest difficulties, something like FE6 HM or FE7 HHM works fine for what you're saying.

Which is actually a key concern when it comes to hacking. Because I've beaten FE6 on hard multiple times, to me, the game was easy as hell but then again I've been through it so many times I can pretty much remember them all off the top of my head. My project can't be judged accurately by myself, since I'm not an average player, and it should be designed not just for the people who've beaten Fire Emblem before, but for those new to it.

I mean, I could see a short 10 or so chapter hack with the difficulty of say, the final missions of an FE game, with high leveled PCs with the idea of "Yeah, you're playing this after beating Fire Emblem, it's like an additional campaign" but I think for stuff like my project and Awful Emblem the focus is to make them accessible to anyone.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Iceclaw posted:

Okay, to phrase it better: Making a FE style game really difficult can be tricky, because it's easy to fall in the trap of either making it fairly luck reliant, especially in the first few chapters, or really hard if you don't do it the one intended way. Most of the games manage to stay clear of that, but sometimes you get RD Maniac and Awakening Lunatic.

Also, part of the problem with difficulty in Fire Emblem is that it's possible for the player to screw up long-term in most of the games by losing units, promotion items, and even helpful stuff like the effective weapons they give you before a map of cavaliers, and even just get screwed because of obtuse mechanics like treasure in desert maps and secret shops. The Hard modes help with this, since you can just make Normal the Easy mode for newcomers, but I doubt they usually have a lot of time to dedicate to those besides a simple stat/equipment boost like Awakening.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Last Celebration posted:

Also, part of the problem with difficulty in Fire Emblem is that it's possible for the player to screw up long-term in most of the games by losing units, promotion items, and even helpful stuff like the effective weapons they give you before a map of cavaliers, and even just get screwed because of obtuse mechanics like treasure in desert maps and secret shops. The Hard modes help with this, since you can just make Normal the Easy mode for newcomers, but I doubt they usually have a lot of time to dedicate to those besides a simple stat/equipment boost like Awakening.

This is what Pre-Promotes are for. This is also why they almost always give a Paladin in the first chapter, to pretty much ensure "Yeah he'll definitely be able to get out of the beginning" The hardest games to start out in are often the ones who don't give you that crutch character

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Like I've said before, people really oversell how much missing out on units screws you over. My brother managed to beat FE7 on eliwood hard mode with Athos, Wallace, the three lords all underleveled (and hector and lyn not even promoted), Marcus, Renault, Jaffar, and Karel. That was all he had for the final chapter.

Honestly the most impressive part of that is that he managed to recruit Jaffar, but the point remains - you can bumble through the games pretty easily. The game has failsafes in place for if you mess up - there's a reason every game gives you a good unit in the last map or two.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Here's two interesting romhacking things I came across recently, which is perfect because I've been itching for some FE lately.

1: Fire Emblem: Midnight Sun released like yesterday, and is your standard FE romhack. New fanfictiony storyline, new fanfictiony characters, perhaps some good game design. Actually, it's not quite so standard since it's an FE8 hack which means world maps, grind towers and all that jazz. It seems like the creator really wanted to mess with the standard gameplay conventions in this one which is why I find it interesting, here's what they say:

quote:

Since I'm a Fire Emblem fan myself, I wanted to create something "new" and different, possibly never seen and fresh. You'll find plenty of chapters with unusual goals, and some chapters have alternate endings based on how you played them. Also, recruiting new units might be a little tricky in this hack, because: a) Faratrass' position is complicated and it's obvious that most people won't join her side. b) I like to play with events and reward the player with some extra units instead of giving them at the beginning of each chapter.
However, don't worry, I marked in red some words in the dialogues to give you hints on how you should behave in the chapters in order to unlock the achievements.

The current release is a ten chapter demo. I haven't played it yet but I'm expecting good things.

2: A Fire Emblem 7 Randomizer. You know all those pokemon randomizers? This is kinda like that except it's a complete hassle to install and still kind of buggy. It can change your character classes, the items they start with, and the stats of the items themselves (I don't think this is a very fun option, it will inevitably lead to 20 Mt iron axes and steamrolling the game. Thankfully it's an option!). The best (?) part is that characters retain their sprite palette, so you can get an adorable pink fighter if Serra becomes one. Or, in most cases, a horrible vomit pile of blue, green and red splashed about randomly.

There's also a fix patch which addresses the most obvious issues with random classes like giving you more keys in case you get thief screwed and adding a promotion for soldier (it's just cavalier).

As I said, it is kind of a bitch to install, but well worth it if you're looking for excuses to replay FE7.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Actually, speaking of a randomizer, CanofWorms at one point had an almost roguelike Fire Emblem thing going on, though I don't know if he's still working on it or if I even still have the link to it. I'll see if I can dig it up later today.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I've been playing Random FE7 and it really is a ton of fun. You can get a really overpowered squad easily but you also run into some unexpected problems and it creates a lot of interesting situations. For example, my starting squad in Hector mode was Matthew the hector (yes, really) and Hector the Peg. Knight. Half of the enemies there are archers, whoops. I was also denied a healer until Erk joined as a cleric which made the early chapter a bit tenser than usual. Matthector is cleaning up though, he has become a slightly strength screwed hector at 8 str in exchange for 15 (!) spd and skl and 11 def at level 8. I can see why you usually don't get speedy axe units, this man is breaking the game over his knee with steel axe doubling.

Also, I have no thieves and it is likely I never will, so I probably need to get used to the idea of missing over half the chests in the game, and with it quite a lot of funding and promotion items.

Again, can't recommend this more. And I want to share war stories with someone, so get on this.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I've never played FE7 before. I randomized it for my first playthrough because that is a great idea.

I don't think this is going to go very well.

Edit: Lyn's first level (I imagine that was scripted) was HP, Strength, Skill, Speed, and Luck. G'job, Lyn. Maybe you and I will be able to do this after all.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I dunno, Berserker is probably better for her than her starting class so long as she can still use the Mani Katti. She actually gets the crit boost and will benefit from axes while having the skill to offset the lower accuracy. She'll have some problems with all those early sword units though.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I might try the randomizer, but randomizing weapon stats sounds like a bad idea.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Is she a Myrm? She looks like a Myrm.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

She's the lord version of Myrmidon, which is to say no not really. When she promotes she gets bows instead of the crit buff (or would if she were her real class). So long as you can still use Mani Katti though who cares, that thing is ridiculously good. Especially with the Berserker crit boost.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Speaking of Myrms, my new buddy Sain is one of those.

Looking good, buddy! I also got my new friend Kent who is-

...oh.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hahah wow. He can't even promote either. Well, most people probably only use one of the two anyway.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Manatee Cannon posted:

Hahah wow. He can't even promote either. Well, most people probably only use one of the two anyway.

I think they had a workaround for this in the settings.

That let him promote to Cavalier using a Knight's crest. So he's an even shitter version of the trainees who needs a rare item to get to a first tier class.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Does he actually has negative defence?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Iceclaw posted:

Does he actually has negative defence?

He sure does! Cavs have a base defense of 6, and Kent's personal modifier is -1 (he starts with 5 defense), so when you move that to a soldier which has a base defense of 0...

It's counted as zero for the purposes of damage calculation, but still.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Does the randomizer also mess with their growth rates?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So far the game has pretty much been The Sain Show Starring Sain (And Occasionally Lyn.) I did get these three new units though!

I've got Dorcas the Alright Axe Guy who just joined up:

Florina the I Guess She's A Wizard:

and Wil the... Archer:

Edit: Also Sain is loving ludicrous.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Sorry Wil, not even the randomizer can make you interesting :(

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dorcas and Wil are exactly the same. Florina as a Mage is interesting (never gonna have much magic though). That change to Myrmidon is really agreeing with Sain. Must be weird not having a Pegasus Knight or Cavaliers.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Eh, that Sain is kind of fragile, even for Myrmidon standards. He's probably getting one shot, and he doesn't really have Guy's ridiculous luck growth.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Well. I tried this but Lyn got randomized into a Nomad and the first enemy freezes the game. Welp.

vvv: Ah, they provide saves. Cool beans.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 26, 2014

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Volt Catfish posted:

Well. I tried this but Lyn got randomized into a Nomad and the first enemy freezes the game. Welp.

You might have to try it on Lyn hard mode so the tutorial isn't forcing you into moves.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I've got two new guys, hooray.

I've got Erk the Mage who is Better than Florina in Pretty Much All Ways:

and Serra the Shaman who is doing well by virtue of Dark magic being strong:

Erk actually came with a Dragonshield in his starting inventory for some reason. I don't know why. I gave it to Sain and gave him Florina's Fire tome for killing purposes.

Edit: Also, the Shaman palette in pink is adorable. :allears:

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 26, 2014

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I hope you applied the fix patch or your Kent can't promote! The fix promises to fix negative stats as well so it seems you didn't or ran into an errant bug with it. If you didn't, also good luck with promoting other people since there is a serious lack of promotion items for certain classes in the base game.

Also, if people who know this game are trying the randomizer, I recommend skipping Lyn mode because a) that poo poo is boring, b) you get five units you know nothing about in chapter 15/16 and that's amazing :allears: and c) the game is likely to give you incredibly good units anyway so leveling people up in Lyn mode will only make it even easier.

And hey, if we're doing screenshots, here's some of my MVPs!

Lowen is the most Knight. He is very Knight.

Oswin is Eliwood, if you can imagine an Eliwood with good stats (he is also puke brown in battle and it's fantastic)

Serra has been really good despite her not amazing stats, because her speed is exactly enough to double most things. Also she is miles better than my two other archers (Bartre and ...Rebecca :geno:) and Mage (Dorcas. He makes a cute girl), and will gain an Actual Weapon on promotion, so I'd probably use her anyway.

Erk has Serra's sprite :haw:, is a healer so is automatically the best, and god drat those level 1 bases. Although, he does die to a slight breeze.

Hector is a pony princess. That nine defence is really doing work for him though. Imagine, a pegasus is not dying instantly to archers! Also, he breaks every early map by flying everywhere.

Matthew is amazing, nothing can stop him. Well, not yet anyway, I foresee strength problems in his future. But then again, axes have enormous attack so this might be the best-case scenario of getting strength screwed.

Marcus is also amazing but that is to be expected. I try not to use her (yes, her) too much, but if she gains good speed and skill and any strength at all she's almost endgame ready right here

Welp, there's my huge picture dump, hope someone enjoyed that.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Haha I don't give a gently caress about Kent, he's going directly to the bench as soon as I get that option.

Edit: New guys! I've got Rath the rounder-out of the magic trifecta:

and Matthew the second axe unit who's better than my Lord

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 26, 2014

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Is there a randomizer for FE6? That sounds like it could be a beautiful trainwreck. :allears:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Kay Kessler posted:

Is there a randomizer for FE6? That sounds like it could be a beautiful trainwreck. :allears:

They're working on that and FE8. It's basically the same engine so it's not that hard but it's not too easy either. And apparently the programmer is procrastinating on it hard, like all good programmers.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Oh my god this looks amazing. Absolutely grabbing this when I get home :getin:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I've been looking for a reason to replay FE7. :allears:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Amppelix posted:

They're working on that and FE8. It's basically the same engine so it's not that hard but it's not too easy either. And apparently the programmer is procrastinating on it hard, like all good programmers.

I don't know what you're talking about, I'll have you know that me and my team are hard at work on Divine Crusade and are most definitely not mucking around.

http://puu.sh/92YtZ.webm

It was VERY important for our Animator to be mucking around.

He doesn't have that much left to be honest

Onmi fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 27, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

alcharagia posted:

I've got two new guys, hooray.

I've got Erk the Mage who is Better than Florina in Pretty Much All Ways:

Is that the female mage sprite? If so that's amazing, all that changed is his gender.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
New friends!

I've got Lucius the Guy who Has No Combat Animations:

Nils the Shittiest Cleric Ever (Holy poo poo Dude Where is your Magic):

and Wallace the Guy On A Horse:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well, I got Lyn's group finally. Guess what? They all suck, and two of them are nomads :suicide: For those not counting, I now have five archers. The archer only run is real. Also, Lyn is a hector except she's so much worse than Mathhew it's not even funny.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

alcharagia posted:

New friends!

I've got Lucius the Guy who Has No Combat Animations:

Nils the Shittiest Cleric Ever (Holy poo poo Dude Where is your Magic):

and Wallace the Guy On A Horse:

Man, you might as well just bench Nils right now, his S/M growth is 5%.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Artix posted:

Man, you might as well just bench Nils right now, his S/M growth is 5%.

Bwahahaha are you making GBS threads me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Not in the least. You should be thankful he has a growth in the first place, it's not like Bards are known for their offensive capabilities to begin with. His cap is 10 as a bard, and his average is .95 at L20.