Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Froist posted:

Oh good, Picross e4 has more Mega Picross puzzles. Because they were really fun last time.

I like the different challenge they provide but the game is terrible at teaching you how to do them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mercury Crusader posted:

I have a physical copy of Street Fighter Alpha 2 for the SNES. It's the only SNES game I own and can think of that has actual load times.

The Acclaim Batman Forever game does too and maybe a couple of others from late in the life cycle. The SNES had some serious life squeezed out of it before the end.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think a lot of SNES games have load times, they're just disguised usually. There's a hiccup when you get to the first boss in Actraiser, for example, and the fade-to-black between levels and areas takes a second or two due to loading. Also, choosing a map in Simcity.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

Mercury Crusader posted:

I have a physical copy of Street Fighter Alpha 2 for the SNES. It's the only SNES game I own and can think of that has actual load times. It was also published by Nintendo in the US for some reason, much like how Mega Man 6 was published by Nintendo in the US.

I believe it was because of the certain chip in it which caused the load times, which was also used in Star Ocean for the SFC

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
I always thought the SNES port of Alpha 2 was supposed to be decent? Saturn > SNES > PSX.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eh, it's good considering the hardware but the PS1 version is definitely better, the SNES version drops even more animation frames and just isn't as sharp.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

citizenlowell posted:

I always thought the SNES port of Alpha 2 was supposed to be decent? Saturn > SNES > PSX.

It's as good as any other Street Fighter port for the system but is missing some of the secret stuff (Evil Ryu and Shin Akuma, mostly.)

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Are we ever getting the rest of the Sega 3D Classics games here or is there one more lined up in Japan? I really want 3D Outrun and I heard that apparently the sales weren't too good outside Japan for the first "wave" which makes me think we're screwed :(

e: Outrun came out this month so maybe we have to wait a bit, I dunno. It was like 3 months or so before a rating showed up the last time.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 22, 2014

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Zeether posted:

Are we ever getting the rest of the Sega 3D Classics games here or is there one more lined up in Japan? I really want 3D Outrun and I heard that apparently the sales weren't too good outside Japan for the first "wave" which makes me think we're screwed :(

e: Outrun came out this month so maybe we have to wait a bit, I dunno. It was like 3 months or so before a rating showed up the last time.

Yeah, it seems like they would wait until all of the wave is completed so they could localize and ESRB rate them all at once.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Sakurazuka posted:

Eh, it's good considering the hardware but the PS1 version is definitely better, the SNES version drops even more animation frames and just isn't as sharp.

Also if i'm not mistaken they ripped some of the music out to save space or whatever. It plays fine when you're in a match but has the little loading pause right after "FIGHT" and before you can move.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
SNES Street Fighter Alpha 2 is really neat from a technical standpoint and that they managed to get as much of it in there as they did but it is absolutely not a good version to actually play.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Froist posted:

Oh good, Picross e4 has more Mega Picross puzzles. Because they were really fun last time.

I seriously gave up on that poo poo because it was so lame. The Picross e games are kind of lame all-around. I wish Jupiter would get to make some actual proper Picross games with a budget again.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The Picross-E games would be perfect if the puzzles got as big as they did in the DS picross. Also by number 4 surely we can do with fewer 5X5 and 10X10 grids.

The Wii U gamepad was a great fit for the VC Snes picross, I don't understand why they haven't released a modern picross game for the system.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Hmm, I wonder if this date is accurate...

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Hmm, I wonder if this date is accurate...

I don't get it.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I don't get it.

Maybe he's British, and so 6/3/2014 looks to his diseased brain like "March 6, 2014."

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Oh that game's coming out soon. First I've heard of it since it was on the Direct for what, thirty seconds?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NOE confirmed Zelda: Minish Cap for the Wii U VC next week, and I'm pretty sure NA will be getting it next week, too.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I don't get it.

There's nothing to get, really. They haven't announced a release date, Nintendo announced a release date, let's hope it actually comes out on that date.

Nicalis originally promised this game would be out for the 2012 holidays, so... yeah.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Nicalis originally promised this game would be out for the 2012 holidays, so... yeah.

The best company.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I hear the GB MMV is one of the better MM games, and not just one of the best GB MM games. Would you guys say it is worth getting?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
I don't know when they flipped the switch but Nintendoji and Advance Wars DS download codes, previously only available as platinum / gold member awards for Club Nintendo Japan in 2012/2013 are now available for 500 points/800 points on Club Nintendo Japan. The fact they're opening up sale could point to a release overseas?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Unlucky7 posted:

So I hear the GB MMV is one of the better MM games, and not just one of the best GB MM games. Would you guys say it is worth getting?

It's got all original bosses and is actually a bit on the easier side of things for Mega Man. It's a fun game. I played through it a couple of years ago and it only took me a couple days to clear it, whereas I have yet to finish Dr. Wily's Revenge and I've had that one longer.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Hakkesshu posted:

I seriously gave up on that poo poo because it was so lame. The Picross e games are kind of lame all-around. I wish Jupiter would get to make some actual proper Picross games with a budget again.

If you think the e series is lame, wait till you see D3 Publisher's attempt (the less said about Hudson's, the better).
The e series features puzzles that don't require any leaps of faith; not so with D3's.
D3's also has 20 x 20 puzzles, but the number clues are minuscule even on an XL.
I can't imagine how bad this game'd be on a regular or 2DS.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Jupiter made that recent Final Fantasy Picross RPG thing for Square-Enix, didn't they? How'd that turn out?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of May 29):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Mario Kart 8 - €59.99 / £49.99
WII U eSHOP
    Gravity Badgers - €4.99 / £4.49
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA) - €6.99 / £6.29
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mario Kart 8/Super Mario Kart digital promotion - buy Super Mario Kart on the VC, get a €7.99 / £5.49 discount on Mario Kart 8! Starts May 30, ends June 30.
    Trine 2: Director's Cut (Wii U eShop) - €8.49 / £6.99 until May 27
    Batman Arkham City: Armoured Edition (Wii U) - €14.99 / £12.49 until June 5
    Batman Arkham Origins (Wii U) - €14.99 / £12.49 until June 5
    Injustice: Gods Among Us (Wii U) - €14.99 / £12.49 until June 5
    LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Wii U) - €12.49 / £9.99 until June 5
    Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (Wii U eShop) - €8.99 / £7.19 until June 8
    Resident Evil Revelations (Wii U) - €29.99 / £23.99 until June 8

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Me & My Furry Patients 3D - €29.99 / £24.99
3DS eSHOP
    Castle Clout 3D - €4.00 / £3.59
    Coaster Creator 3D - €7.25 / £6.00
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    The Mysterious Murasame Castle (NES) - €4.99 / £4.49
    Mario Golf (GBC) - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Buy Mario Golf World Tour on the eShop, get Mario Golf (GBC) for free! (promo runs until May 29)
    Buy Kirby Triple Deluxe on the eShop, get Kirby's Dreamland 2 (GB) for free! (promo runs until June 16)
    Mario Golf World Tour DLC Season Pass - €11.99 / £10.79 until May 31
    Aeternoblade (3DS eShop) - €7.99 / £6.59 until May 29
    Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate (3DS) - €9.99 / £8.99 until June 5
    Resident Evil Revelations (3DS) - €17.99 / £14.99 until June 8
    Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (3DS) - €5.99 / £5.39 until June 8
    Super Street Fighter 4 3D (3DS) - €11.99 / £10.79 until June 8
    Rage of the Gladiator (3DS eShop) - €3.49 / £3.09 until June 19

(there's also a bunch of manga available for the 3DS eShop but the PR doesn't specifically list any of it, and it sounds like it's only coming out in France. Kid's stuff like Beyblade, mostly.)

Wii U dudes, note the Mario Kart promo if you haven't already: if you own Super Mario Kart for the Wii U VC, you can get the cost of that game deducted from the price of Mario Kart 8 on the eShop. Don't forget to link your Club Nintendo account to your eShop profile before you buy the game, either.

Mysterious Murasame Castle was originally released as part of the first wave of Famicom Disk System games alongside Zelda, Metroid and Kid Icarus; it's a fast-paced, top-down action game with music by Koji Kondo, and this will be the first time it's ever been released outside of Japan. (It's also the inspiration for the ninja game in Nintendo Land, in case you were wondering what that was all about.)

There are a bunch of Capcom/Warner Bros. games on sale on both consoles this week... mostly ports of stuff you can find elsewhere, but the prices aren't bad. (RE Mercenaries is a must-have at that price.)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The sales on those WiiU Batman games are pretty great... I have City/Origins/Lego Batman 2 on 360 already, but at that price I'd be tempted to pick up the WiiU version of City because it's an awesome game.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 11:41 on May 26, 2014

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Wii U dudes, note the Mario Kart promo if you haven't already: if you own Super Mario Kart for the Wii U VC, you can get the cost of that game deducted from the price of Mario Kart 8 on the eShop. Don't forget to link your Club Nintendo account to your eShop profile before you buy the game, either.

Man I really think they screwed up on the pricing here. It's £40 literally everywhere else so even with the discount it's still £5 more expensive to buy digital. If they'd put it up as £40-£45 I think they would've gotten a lot more people buying it on eShop.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's a download code for 40, I wonder if it'll work as part of the promo:
http://www.game.co.uk/en/mario-kart...ibuteValue1=107

EDIT: they've got a few VC games under 5GBP... not a huge discount, but it's something:
http://www.game.co.uk/en/games/nintendo-eshop/games-under-5/?merchname=home-_-gamerecommends-_-eshop5

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

So I was just playing through Picross e4 and got a strange feeling of deja vu - turns out they're recycling puzzles from earlier versions.

Exhibit A, e2 puzzle X15:

Exhibit B, e4 puzzle SO08:

Maybe it's just in these "Special Puzzles" that are opened up if it detects save data from the previous games, but what's the point if it's just the same puzzle again?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Here's a download code for 40, I wonder if it'll work as part of the promo:
http://www.game.co.uk/en/mario-kart...ibuteValue1=107

EDIT: they've got a few VC games under 5GBP... not a huge discount, but it's something:
http://www.game.co.uk/en/games/nintendo-eshop/games-under-5/?merchname=home-_-gamerecommends-_-eshop5

If you go into stores I've noticed some download codes in store have been getting marked down too.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Please tell me those Batman games are going on sale in the US too...

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Kirios posted:

Please tell me those Batman games are going on sale in the US too...

Fair warning, Arkham Origins U is a gimped version with a fair chunk of DLC cut, never to appear on the console.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I...doubt I'm missing out on that much.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Kirios posted:

Sure, just wanted to let you know in case you were dead set on playing Cold Cold Heart too :)

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Kirios posted:

I thought the Catwoman stuff was pretty fun, actually. Nightwing not so much.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

Sarchasm posted:

I thought the Catwoman stuff was pretty fun, actually. Nightwing not so much.

That is City. All of the DLC is included with City.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Medium Cool posted:

That is City. All of the DLC is included with City.

Whoops, I keep forgetting about Arkham Origins.

cap601
Feb 16, 2011

Froist posted:

So I was just playing through Picross e4 and got a strange feeling of deja vu - turns out they're recycling puzzles from earlier versions.

Exhibit A, e2 puzzle X15:

Exhibit B, e4 puzzle SO08:

Maybe it's just in these "Special Puzzles" that are opened up if it detects save data from the previous games, but what's the point if it's just the same puzzle again?

The special puzzles may have the same picture but they are now Mega puzzles rather than standard ones. Everything else seems to be original though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kirios posted:

Perhaps the same could be said of not playing Arkham Origins :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Arkham Origins is missing multiplayer and some of the DLC, Injustice is missing some of the DLC, Street Fighter 3DS is like five versions old now. RE Revelations has a little extra content in the HD versions, maybe some minor paid DLC, I forget. No idea about Lego Batman 2.