Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

I'd say I really really hope his son dies like a bitch, but that isn't fair to his son.
I hope his son grows up to be a happy, successful, possibly gay liberal with a family who disowns his father and never speaks of him again except to piss on his grave when he dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

agarjogger posted:

Is there anyone the right despises quite so much as a mass shooting victim?

I'd say its a close race between that and a pregnant minority teen.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

OAquinas posted:

I'd say its a close race between that and a pregnant minority teen.

No, they love her if she doesn't have an abortion. The minute that baby pops out though.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ShadowCatboy posted:

In actual gunfights, don't like 90% of shots miss the target if they're more than 10 feet away?

EDIT: Found a couple experiments/studies regarding hit ratios in gunfights:

http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/stand-move-or-seek-coverwhat-works-in-a-gunfight
http://www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/Aveni/OIS.pdf

Unless the shooter is standing still, the chance of hitting him is far, far lower than missing. The question then is whether it's worth the confusion and hail of bullets to involve multiple gunmen.

Don't worry, they'll just charge the person they're shooting at for those missed shots.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/05/nyregion/unarmed-man-is-charged-with-wounding-bystanders-shot-by-police-near-times-square.html

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

This right here is the kind of poo poo that freaks me out not only about rampant gun possession, but police officers as well. Pretty easy to handwave it away as some "mentally insane man" but the same exact thing could happen to you, or me, or anyone else. You could be standing around in a busy or bar-heavy area at the wrong time, an officer for whatever reason doesn't like the look of you or your friends. He's demanding you either move along or get in his car but maybe you're not from the area, or are with a group waiting on someone in a bathroom, or some other reason you need to stay put on the sidewalk for a couple minutes. You're frustrated, in a hurry, confused why you're being singled out; you absentmindedly reach for your wallet to present an ID and maybe get this guy to calm down, oops, you're full of bullet holes or taser wire.

Feel free to replace "officer" with some Zimmerman-esque trigger happy vigilante if you like.

(This hypothetical brought to you by an identical scenario with a much less terrible ending for me a couple weeks ago in downtown Charleston.)

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Yet another iteration of the 'gay people are the real bigots/nazis' courtesy of the dumbest man in congress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuGIQdQytKE

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Q:

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Holy poo poo, how is it possible for Todd Kincannon to top himself?

beatlegs posted:

Scrolling down his twitter page is like slogging through knee-deep sewage.

A:

Face swap Kincannon and the father and it would be an accurate statement. :stonklol:

Sir Tonk posted:

It worked for *******.

Please, don't. :can:

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

SwingShift posted:

While I'm not saying this isn't true, didn't Elliot Rogers' family repeatedly try to get him to go to a therapist? So at the very least he had their support. I thought I read that somewhere.

He had seen several different counselors and one of them actually called the police on him in April due to fears of violence. The police talked to him and he convinced them he was stable. He even stated in his manifesto that if they had come in and checked his room, they would have seen the guns and other indicting evidence which would have prevented the massacre. The police dropped the loving ball here.

I don't know how the laws work there, but they recently expanded the scope of mandated reporters in Illinois so that if we think a client is an imminent danger to themselves or others, we are required by law to input their name in a database, which compares it to people with FOID cards, which would then trigger the police to investigate and potentially confiscate their guns. A program like this could have prevented the massacre.

sleepingbuddha fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 26, 2014

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Regarding Todd Kincannon's wiki page, this is tripping me out:

wikipdeia posted:

Prior to law school, Kincannon completed graduate work in the fields of nanotechnology and analytical chemistry at Clemson University.[citation needed] Kincannon also holds a B.S. degree with a triple major in chemistry, physics, and mathematics from Erskine College[citation needed] and an A.S. degree from Greenville Technical College in science.[citation needed]

At first I thought it was a joke with the "citation needed" until I found that same sentence on his professional website.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

At first I thought it was a joke with the "citation needed" until I found that same sentence on his professional website.

Did it also include [citation needed]?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I am glad to see that the focus of the discussion is currently much more about the other cultural/personal issues related to the fiasco, there's no shortage of material to discuss in this case. As useless as I find Facebook to be for any serious debate, I think there's value in discussing the state of mental health and social constructs regarding sexual expectations between men and women. If we can do so without turning the shooter into an anti-celebrity, all the better.

I'm referring specifically to the father of one of the victims, Chris Martinez and the parents of the murderer, both placing blame on the NRA in their official statement to the press, within 24 hours of this tragedy. The op-ed articles demanding gun control are starting to bloom on sites like The Daily Beast and The Guardian as well. In a case where the problem is SO CLEARLY defined, so obviously about unchecked mental illness, the push by these cultists to use a madman's violence to curtail my rights and yours, and to blame me by extension, sickens me.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
The two threads are in a feedback loop of good things. Perpetual energy is here.

Jay Rust posted:

I'm sure that guy is just a professional troll. Sometimes it's more blatant:

Pomp posted:

This will be the epitaph on America's grave.

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Mind you, he didn't actually receive a degree from Clemson, just "completed graduate studies" in those fields. We don't know why he left before receiving a degree.

Also no mention of the guy sending pics of his penis to women, with the legalese "persuant to our agreement that you will never redistribute this", in 2012.

Neremworld
Dec 3, 2007

by exmarx

Lessail posted:

I'm referring specifically to the father of one of the victims, Chris Martinez and the parents of the murderer, both placing blame on the NRA in their official statement to the press, within 24 hours of this tragedy. The op-ed articles demanding gun control are starting to bloom on sites like The Daily Beast and The Guardian as well. In a case where the problem is SO CLEARLY defined, so obviously about unchecked mental illness, the push by these cultists to use a madman's violence to curtail my rights and yours, and to blame me by extension, sickens me.

Todd Kincannon, is that you?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Lessail posted:

I am glad to see that the focus of the discussion is currently much more about the other cultural/personal issues related to the fiasco, there's no shortage of material to discuss in this case. As useless as I find Facebook to be for any serious debate, I think there's value in discussing the state of mental health and social constructs regarding sexual expectations between men and women. If we can do so without turning the shooter into an anti-celebrity, all the better.

My right to what...murder others because women won't sleep with me?

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Axolotl posted:

Mind you, he didn't actually receive a degree from Clemson, just "completed graduate studies" in those fields. We don't know why he left before receiving a degree.

Also no mention of the guy sending pics of his penis to women, with the legalese "persuant to our agreement that you will never redistribute this", in 2012.

He also tired to solicit donations from conservatives to administrate a twitter hashtag.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Neremworld posted:

Todd Kincannon, is that you?

Yes

anonumos posted:

My right to what...murder others because women won't sleep with me?
Yes

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Glad we cleared that up.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I dunno about you guys but I'm kind of into this Todd Kincannon. He's a Republican politician that consistently speaks his mind, unlike most others that say something they genuinely believe only to backpedal when they get condemned for it. Honesty is something we lack in modern politics.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I dunno about you guys but I'm kind of into this Todd Kincannon. He's a Republican politician that consistently speaks his mind, unlike most others that say something they genuinely believe only to backpedal when they get condemned for it. Honesty is something we lack in modern politics.

Also because the republicans literally believe that dems hate it so its good. Bringing him up ensures he gets a voice within the republican party. He could even run for office.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Babylon Astronaut posted:

That's what I was trying to get someone to answer during the Chipotle fiasco. If I'm in chipotle, and a bunch of young, white, goony looking bastards come in with guns, can I stand my ground? If I can't, I literally can't repsond in a way that would prevent a mass shooting. Those guys looked like any one of the recent spree killers!
That's a good question, did you ever get an answer?

And yeah, if I were eating at a restaurant and some dweeb(s) walked in openly carrying semi-auto weaponry, my first priority becomes exit. I have no place in any jerkoff martyr fantasy, and we don't live in Mad Max world yet. Even if the rifleman is competent and peaceful, he could trigger someone else to confront and escalate things.

e: haha, Chipotle banned guns a week ago

SwingShift
Apr 27, 2013

Lessail posted:

In a case where the problem is SO CLEARLY defined, so obviously about unchecked mental illness

It's funny you should say this because on tumblr, there are a lot of feminists who are angry that people are trying to shift the focus entirely onto his mental illness and are ignoring the clear hatred of women. To them, the violent misogyny is the clearly defined problem, not the mental illness. Not saying one is correct and the other is not - to me, it seems to be an awful combination of both - but it's interesting how people's perceptions of the person differ depending on their priorities.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

sleepingbuddha posted:

He had seen several different counselors and one of them actually called the police on him in April due to fears of violence. The police talked to him and he convinced them he was stable. He even stated in his manifesto that if they had come in and checked his room, they would have seen the guns and other indicting evidence which would have prevented the massacre. The police dropped the loving ball here.

I don't know how the laws work there, but they recently expanded the scope of mandated reporters in Illinois so that if we think a client is an imminent danger to themselves or others, we are required by law to input their name in a database, which compares it to people with FOID cards, which would then trigger the police to investigate and potentially confiscate their guns. A program like this could have prevented the massacre.
If they'd felt he was a danger to himself or others, they could have 5150ed him. The problem is that officers are poorly trained in mental health problems and 5150 is way more complicated than arresting someone.
Here, they were faced with a white, wealthy guy living in what appears to be some sort of high end, unlocked facility who said the right things. It certainly isn't shocking they didn't 5150 him.
5150 wouldn't have gotten cops into his house (which is a good thing) or his guns (though that can happen later in the process I think), but it would yave gotten him some help he couldn't turn down.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

nm posted:

If they'd felt he was a danger to himself or others, they could have 5150ed him. The problem is that officers are poorly trained in mental health problems and 5150 is way more complicated than arresting someone.
Here, they were faced with a white, wealthy guy living in what appears to be some sort of high end, unlocked facility who said the right things. It certainly isn't shocking they didn't 5150 him.
5150 wouldn't have gotten cops into his house (which is a good thing) or his guns (though that can happen later in the process I think), but it would yave gotten him some help he couldn't turn down.
Where is the "gun-grabber" crowd meltdown over things like this and judge-ordered confiscation of accused criminals' weapons?

Lessail posted:

Ahahaha where is this from and what "rights" is this idiot referring to? Amazing how you can make a stupid argument sound correct by labeling something that doesn't exist in most of the rest of the civilized world as a "right."

I gotta say, though, at least after the last few mass shootings (what a terrible thing to write) the liberal, moderate, and media dialogue discussing both gun prevalence and lack of mental health has caused the conservative crowd to focus obsessively on the latter. So at least now we're actually talking about the awful state of mental health care post-Reagan... even though you know, there's no way the GOP will actually let anyone take meaningful steps to improve it, because gently caress the poor and mentally ill.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Where is it? Everywhere.

Also:

... In Sudan.

http://www.amnesty.org/en/news/sudan-more-half-million-call-free-pregnant-woman-sentenced-death-her-religious-choice-lawyers-l

Because, you know, since there have been several abortion clinic bombings and honor killings by Christians in the United States it means they are all bloodthirsty murderers. I think religion is dumb but so is blanket generalization.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I like "State Department weenies" tucked in there. They do know the Benghazi victims whose bloody shirt they're waving were State Department, right?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

SwingShift posted:

It's funny you should say this because on tumblr, there are a lot of feminists who are angry that people are trying to shift the focus entirely onto his mental illness and are ignoring the clear hatred of women. To them, the violent misogyny is the clearly defined problem, not the mental illness. Not saying one is correct and the other is not - to me, it seems to be an awful combination of both - but it's interesting how people's perceptions of the person differ depending on their priorities.

The thing is, while the misogyny is violent, the larger problem is violent ____. Sometimes, it's violent misogyny. Other times, it's violent racism. There's lots of different mental issues that are exacerbated with the violence factor.

AnemicChipmunk posted:

It's fascinating how violent crime, including gun crime, has actually gone down over the previous years according to this article, but that mass shootings have gone up.

I agree that we need better mental health support and to keep the media from over-exposing these assholes. Perhaps that would cut down the number of copy-cat instances, but I'm afraid it may be to late to completely curtail the problem any time soon.

...which brings me to the larger point in the big picture. The anger over MRAs working each other up online is just like any other angry subgroup online, whether it's white supremacists, gun nuts, misogynists, or whomever. There's lots of assholes that are now able to coordinate and assemble without anyone really noticing until things start getting violent and big.

Mother Jones just reported on some Texas gun nuts terrorizing moms against guns. The whole Bundy situation has exposed those groups as violent jokes. Which brings me to...

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Also for enough overweight weirdos in ankle shorts marching into Chipotle and legally terrorizing Little League games for society to view them as enough of a joke to collectively turn its back on them.

The somewhat reasonable argument from the pro-gun side is that they want guns to protect themselves and their families. Okay. That can make sense.

What does not make sense is the radically hostile open-carry mentality of brandishing and displaying your firearm literally everywhere, when the sight of a gun makes most of us very uncomfortable. Personally, I don't have a gun, don't carry a gun, and don't want a gun. I also don't want to be around guns, and I feel that most people feel the same way. So now, once some jackass brings his gun into the grocery store, the initial reaction is fear, and the initial thought is that this guy might pull out his gun and start spraying bullets everywhere. Society won't view these guys as a joke, they will view them as a threat. And when they are viewed by a threat, they get belligerent and angry, confirming that view.

sweart gliwere posted:

And yeah, if I were eating at a restaurant and some dweeb(s) walked in openly carrying semi-auto weaponry, my first priority becomes exit. I have no place in any jerkoff martyr fantasy, and we don't live in Mad Max world yet. Even if the rifleman is competent and peaceful, he could trigger someone else to confront and escalate things.

Exactly. Because of gun nuts, lots of places that you wouldn't expect to ban guns now have to come out and say that you can't bring guns in. All Major League Baseball teams now have to put up metal detectors, to keep any weapons out of ballparks (for obvious reasons). I've been to a lot of Detroit Tigers games this year, and the only people I've ever seen get busted with anything are white, rural, open-carry yahoos. They demand to be let in, the team tells them no, so they get really angry and potentially leave...with the underlying fear that they might come back into the large crowd of people waiting to get in and start firing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SwingShift posted:

It's funny you should say this because on tumblr, there are a lot of feminists who are angry that people are trying to shift the focus entirely onto his mental illness and are ignoring the clear hatred of women. To them, the violent misogyny is the clearly defined problem...

This crossed my mind too. I watched about 3 minutes of the manifesto video and the clear hatred of women was what jumped out at me, although mental health issues and violent misogyny aren't mutually exclusive.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

well then

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
What are we in denial about? Chasing down and arresting creepy virgins ahead of time? Or about the link between guns and bullets hitting people?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Little bit of column A, little bit of column B.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

'VIRGIN RAMPAGE' is one hell of a headline to be remembered for.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

sweart gliwere posted:

That's a good question, did you ever get an answer?
Not really. Just a "you'll know" like how you suddenly get spider sense when you have a gun. I took it as "I'm more cautious of urban fashion than firearms."

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Sir Tonk posted:

well then

The NYDN is purestrain tabloid poo poo.

Edit: It's such crap it gets handed out for free at the terminals by immigrants working at less-than-minimum-wage (thanks for treating new arrivals like garbage, NYDN). I don't know how it's still in print when even the National Enquirer tanked despite having a captive audience of bored idiots waiting in line at supermarkets.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 26, 2014

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

Spacedad posted:

Yet another iteration of the 'gay people are the real bigots/nazis' courtesy of the dumbest man in congress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuGIQdQytKE
I know a lot of people like to hate on Cenk Uygur and TYT but come on, "Gohmert's Pile" is loving gold.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Bunleigh posted:

I know a lot of people like to hate on Cenk Uygur and TYT but come on, "Gohmert's Pile" is loving gold.

All the hate Cenk gets is mostly from him being a smug prick who feels like kinda maybe the Armenian genocide didn't happen. Few people would contend he isn't funny sometimes. The problem is that he's grating even over the course of a 2-3 minute clip even though he might actually say a funny thing or make a good point.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
First they came for the mentally ill's guns and I did nothing because it was a good policy.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
And neither did the NRA, so I'm not sure who your foil is here.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

agarjogger posted:

And neither did the NRA, so I'm not sure who your foil is here.

Yeah, they have. They've put forth some weaksauce thing about funding for mental health care, but then have continued to fight tooth and nail against the specific things that would enforce mentally ill people not having guns. They're against requiring background checks. Background checks need to be mandated in order for the "take guns away from the mentally ill" provision to ever work.

It's also worth noting that the NRA is against taking guns away from anyone, even mentally ill people. The only thing the NRA is for is some nebulous increase in access to treatment for mentally ill people and censorship of Hollywood/the video game industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

ErIog posted:

The only thing the NRA is for is some nebulous increase in access to treatment for mentally ill people and censorship of Hollywood/the video game industry.

Not entirely true. They're also apparently against higher taxes on rich people, according to this commercial from last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeHOdJl2Ahs

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that Grover Norquist sits on their Board of Directors.

The NRA is a pretty obviously partisan organization at this point. They're really no different than the American Family Association or any number of other nakedly partisan non-profits.

The NRA doesn't actually care about gun rights, or proper regulation/safe use of firearms, and I don't really think they care that much about funneling money to gun manufacturers anymore. They want to get Republicans elected. Because being Republican means being pro-gun, regardless of the actual policies championed by the parties or individual politicians. poo poo, some restrictions on carrying weapons have actually been relaxed by Obama - by exectutive order, no less - and they still call him a gun-grabber.

gently caress the NRA.

emptyspace fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 27, 2014