Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

sudo rm -rf posted:

Yeah ICMPv4 is disabled by default on Windows Server. One of the first things you have to gently caress around with when you're deploying a lab environment.

I'm just glad I'm learning that in a zero pressure fun lab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Alright so thinking about upgrading my lab.

Looking at
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113304 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811815039 to go with my 48GB of ram currently.

or the attached, I have 32GB of ram an SSD, and another hybrid drive to slam in, just need some second opinions. Maybe just go all SSD.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 3, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can someone recommend a budget dual PCIe gig NIC that is either supported by ESXi 5.5+ or has a VIB that can be easily added in?

Technically PCI would be fine too, but that would mean I have to relocate my internal USB drive :(

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Martytoof posted:

Can someone recommend a budget dual PCIe gig NIC that is either supported by ESXi 5.5+ or has a VIB that can be easily added in?

Technically PCI would be fine too, but that would mean I have to relocate my internal USB drive :(

Intel. $25 on ebay

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
There aren't any two port pci gigabit cards. There is a Compaq two port 10/100 pci card, I got one new in box and it felt so industrial when I opened it. Just think, air from 1998 in that bag.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Huh?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-EXPI9...=item2a3b9cf297

Edit: Old school PCI?

Moey fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 4, 2014

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
Dicking around with a Catalyst 2960 switch, I hosed up by deleting the flash, which also included the IOS image. I used Xmodem to copy a new version over, ran the boot command and loaded the new IOS image. It loads fine and I'm back on track, but when the router is first booting up, its still looking for the default IOS flash file and will say

error loading "flash:c2960-lanbase-mz.122-25.SEE3/c2960-lanbase-mz.122-25.SEE3.bin"

It will then boot the other IOS image I copied over to flash fine. Is there a way to set one image to be the default image that's loaded first? Seeing the "error loading" message bothers me.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Frag Viper posted:

Dicking around with a Catalyst 2960 switch, I hosed up by deleting the flash, which also included the IOS image. I used Xmodem to copy a new version over, ran the boot command and loaded the new IOS image. It loads fine and I'm back on track, but when the router is first booting up, its still looking for the default IOS flash file and will say

error loading "flash:c2960-lanbase-mz.122-25.SEE3/c2960-lanbase-mz.122-25.SEE3.bin"

It will then boot the other IOS image I copied over to flash fine. Is there a way to set one image to be the default image that's loaded first? Seeing the "error loading" message bothers me.

This article seems to be relevant.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
Buttsex, right now.

I mean thanks! Just what I needed.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Martytoof posted:

I can confirm that these work 100% with ESXi 5.5u1:

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-Ethernet-PCI-express-Controller-SY-PEX24028/dp/B00965J4TS

If you add in the Realtek VIB.

http://www.vladan.fr/realtek-8169-nics-not-detected-under-esxi-5-5/

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Alright so here is what I decided on, I am throwing my old server away unless anyone wants a super micro G34, 8Gb ram, w/ 6128 opteron for like 275 if anyone wants it.

If anyone wants to copy it feel free, I can update sometime next week on performance, issues, and other finds.

My plan is to pass the raid controller up to a Freenas VM and run RAID-Z to the disks. The SSD is for L2ARC/Zlog, this will be done by two Eager Zero VMDK's 60(cache) and 8(slog).

I went with AMD oppose to Intel because the solutions I was coming up with for Intel was somewhat more expensive, with little to no performance gain.

For anyone interested in the intel solution

It's 20 bucks difference so negligible, but the extra cores and overclock capabilities is nice.

E: also if you all want I can make a community whitebox ESXi image with pre-loaded ESXi with Nic and storage VIB's.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
I have two Micro ATX cases now but am still figuring out boards and CPU's.

I know I want at least 32GB of ram in each but still lost CPU wise.

Core wise what is the best bang for buck from the intel line? Its been quite a few years
since I really paid that much attention to hardware.

I guess I could go the AMD line as you seem to get more cores that way, I am currently of the logic
that more cores better.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

insidius posted:

I have two Micro ATX cases now but am still figuring out boards and CPU's.

I know I want at least 32GB of ram in each but still lost CPU wise.

Core wise what is the best bang for buck from the intel line? Its been quite a few years
since I really paid that much attention to hardware.

I guess I could go the AMD line as you seem to get more cores that way, I am currently of the logic
that more cores better.

If your top two concerns are core count and price, AMD is a decent choice. They can't touch the performance of Intel chips but in a home lab environment do you care? That's not a rhetorical question; maybe you do :) But if your main goal is to cram as many VM's as possible onto a box for the lowest cost, and they are going to be sitting idle most of the time, it may not make sense to pay top dollar for throughput instead of core count.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Docjowles posted:

If your top two concerns are core count and price, AMD is a decent choice. They can't touch the performance of Intel chips but in a home lab environment do you care? That's not a rhetorical question; maybe you do :) But if your main goal is to cram as many VM's as possible onto a box for the lowest cost, and they are going to be sitting idle most of the time, it may not make sense to pay top dollar for throughput instead of core count.

Yeah this was my logic to be honest.

I have a few primary purposes for the Lab:

VCP (Not my primary area but I need to know a fair bit about it due to the way it interacts with our other systems) which no matter AMD or intel it will be fit for.
Running my GNS3 Lab + VM's when required
RHCE labbing (sporadic and probably not entirely long lived)

Everything outside of that will just be random one of scenarios for the most part.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Bought another cheap server from ebay. Its a supermicro 1u server with a xeon L5520 and 6gb of ram for $160. Not sure if its a good deal but I just needed a second machine with a CPU that supports virtualization to learn about various things.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'll call this a lab question rather than a virtualization question because running a bunch of ESXi hosts nested inside of Workstation on a Windows 7 box tends to be a bit rare in production.

Ever since I rebuilt my lab on 5.5 U1, hosts just decide to disappear on me. For example, here I am attempting to reconnect a host which has become unresponsive:

(and yeah that's my wife and then my name, I could blur it but pfft, I'll take that over some hilariously goony "dickbutt.lol" any day)

If I bounce the host it'll be fine for a while, but the problem will eventually pop up on this or another host, and round and round it goes. I thought it might be an overexcited Windows firewall so I disabled on the vCenter box, but that didn't resolve it. I have seen a few articles online about increasing the timeout on heartbeats but I really don't like that solution - it times out after 60 seconds, so 6 heartbeats, but it shouldn't really be missing any, it's not like this is a particularly complex environment.

Any recommendations for next things to check?

e: Just to cover basics, once this happens I can no longer ping the host by hostname or IP, and from the host itself I can't ping out either. Rebooting resolves it until it no longer resolves it.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 15, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
What kind of storage are you using for your nested guests? is the underlying vSwitch set to accept promiscuous mode?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
It's just Openfiler, iSCSI targets. I don't have the vSwitch on promiscuous but that's not something I normally set and I've never had this problem before, so I'd rather steer clear of additional variables, just like I didn't want to increase heartbeat timeout. It's like, okay that may hide the problem but it won't fix it.

I rebooted the host PC and the switch, and rebuilt everything again, and it is STILL happening. Honestly I'm wondering if something about 5.5u1 just doesn't play nice nested.

e: Suppose the best play at this point is to deploy a 5.5 host and add it to this vcenter and see how it's behaving. I've had a 5.5 lab up and running with no issue for months, and 5.5u1 isn't working because (reason), so time to change one piece at a time I guess.

e: You're probably labbing as much as anyone dilbert, have you set up a 5.5u1 environment inside of workstation 10? I'm trying to pair VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.5.0-1750795-20140201-update01 with VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.5.0.update01-1623387.x86_64 and it hates me. I don't think I'd be surprised to find out there's a problem, since they're so new compared to workstation 10, maybe 10's just not up to snuff since this really isn't what it's meant for.

e: moved one of the 5.5 hosts over to this vcenter and am deploying 3 VMs to it right now, will see how that works out... in the morning!

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 16, 2014

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
e: nope, that wasn't the fix :(

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 12:12 on May 16, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I only use workstation to host my vCenter, domain controllers, SQLbox, and connection servers for view. I can give it a whirl tonight see if I can recreate the issue.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I only use workstation to host my vCenter, domain controllers, SQLbox, and connection servers for view. I can give it a whirl tonight see if I can recreate the issue.
I've gone back through every iteration, the problem is me. :(

I had everything working on 5.5, then I went to 5.5u1 and nothing worked, and now I've stepped back piece by piece to 5.5, and nothing works. Something has gone pearshaped here, but I no longer believe it's any sort of incompatibility issue. I think something that I simply haven't accounted for has started acting up.

The box has two NICs each attached to different networks, so my first thought was that somehow some packets were going to the wrong network. This should not be possible, but assuming we live in a world where it is, I increased the metric on, and even disabled the 2nd NIC to make sure everything was traveling on the right wire, but that didn't fix it.

This sucks because my lab is dead in the water til I figure it out.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I know DAF is on a break but here is what I found. I'd previously been creating my nested ESXi hosts with 3 NICs. (Note, every time I say NIC in this entire post I am talking about virtual NICs added to that VM). The problem actually started when I began using 4 NICs, not when I switched to 5.5 - the cardinal sin of switching 2 variables at once threw me off. I tried a few combinations, and then tried them again, and found the following, if this helps anyone.

With 3 NICs: it's fine
With 4 NICs: random host disconnects
With 4 NICs then edit the NIC in the .vmx from "e1000" to "e1000e": it's fine

So, at least in my lab, which is just ESXi nested inside of Workstation 10 on a Windows 7 box, I can run up to 3 NICs. 4 or more creates problems, unless I change the type of NIC.

Interesting! (More like pain in my rear end...)

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 18, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rescued a handful of 300GB SAS 10k 2.5" drives from a server that was heavily upgraded recently. Anyone have any leads on a cheap SAS controller that has ESXi VIBs? I'm hoping for under a hundred bucks but I dunno if that's feasible.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Rescued a handful of 300GB SAS 10k 2.5" drives from a server that was heavily upgraded recently. Anyone have any leads on a cheap SAS controller that has ESXi VIBs? I'm hoping for under a hundred bucks but I dunno if that's feasible.

The IBM M1015/M1115 (rebadged LSI SAS2008) can be found under $100 on eBay.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Martytoof posted:

3Gb/s or 6Gb/s?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

cheese-cube posted:

3Gb/s or 6Gb/s?

At the "handful of 10k SAS drives" level it's not likely to matter.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I haven't even really checked the specs and I'm going from a 1xGBNic iSCSI setup so a single 7200RPM laptop drive would probably be faster than what I'm using now.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
Nearly all of my gear has come in so tonight I can start building and connecting.

I ended up going with similar builds to what I have seen here.

2 x Core i5 4570
32GB ram each

Yada yada yada.

I have a managed gig switch with 16 ports, a Juniper SRX to play with, 3 cisco switches and another two routers on top of that.

Its going to be a fun night.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
I picked up an ML370 G6 for $400 a little while back. Had a single 5540, 6GB of memory, and 4 146G 10K SAS SFF drives. After a trip to eBay the fucker has another 5540, 48GB of memory, and 8 SAS drives. Threw ESX on it and it makes a wonderful lab. I work for a virtualization company so while the box is definitely overkill for most, it's great for me to replicate all kinds of weird poo poo my clients might want to do.

By virtue of working for said company, it turns out that I was able to get an nVidia GRID K2 card for free as long as the server was on the HCL. Of course they didn't certify anything less than a G8, but after a little smooth talking I got a K2 shipped to my door. All I need now is the graphics power cable kit from HP - should be easy right? gently caress no. I ordered one from eBay, condition said "new" and it was only $20. Turns out deeper in the ad this prick said it was "new - incomplete" and that it was actually missing one of the four cables. Of course it's missing the one cable that I need to hook up the loving K2. Okay, lesson learned, I figure I'll just buy from a parts distributor to be sure. I ordered the kit from serversupply.com for $40. Says it's brand new and straight from HP. Wonderful!

It's missing the same loving cable.

I quadruple checked everything to make sure that I wasn't nuts and that I was ordering the right part, then called up Server Supply for an RMA. Now I have to find it somewhere else and hope it's actually truly a complete kit. It's complete and utter torture looking at the gigantic slab of awesomeness that is the K2 and not being able to do anything at all with it until I can get the stupid cable. If it was anything less I'd order the parts to make it, but I'm not about to risk misreading a pinout and frying my card and/or server.

On another note, I've been talking with Comcast Business about getting a business internet line installed so I can get some static IPs. Business lines are contract based, and if you terminate service for basically any reason, including if you move to an area that Comcast doesn't serve, you have to pay 75% of the remaining contract balance. That sucks, but I'm kind of forced into that position since I'm hitting bandwidth caps on my residential line doing legitimate poo poo like transferring VMs between my home and colo. Google Fiber, hurry up and deploy in Atlanta already!

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

insidius posted:

Nearly all of my gear has come in so tonight I can start building and connecting.

I ended up going with similar builds to what I have seen here.

2 x Core i5 4570
32GB ram each

Yada yada yada.

I have a managed gig switch with 16 ports, a Juniper SRX to play with, 3 cisco switches and another two routers on top of that.

Its going to be a fun night.

Jesus! With that kind of processing horsepower I would think RAM is going to be the bottleneck. I personally have an i5-4770 with 32GB of RAM and if I had my druthers I'd throw another 32GB in it. And if I could do it all over I'd definitely go with a dual CPU setup and a minimum of 64GB of RAM, plus a nice RAID controller and maybe a 6-bay hot swap for iSCSI. drat, being poor sucks. Fortunately just 14 more days until the VCP5 exam, and then I shall have job offers with piles of cash awaiting me (I can dream).

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Jesus! With that kind of processing horsepower I would think RAM is going to be the bottleneck. I personally have an i5-4770 with 32GB of RAM and if I had my druthers I'd throw another 32GB in it. And if I could do it all over I'd definitely go with a dual CPU setup and a minimum of 64GB of RAM, plus a nice RAID controller and maybe a 6-bay hot swap for iSCSI. drat, being poor sucks. Fortunately just 14 more days until the VCP5 exam, and then I shall have job offers with piles of cash awaiting me (I can dream).

Yeah :(

I would love to throw more money at it then I have, a dual CPU solution was on the cards but part of the reason for the big push into lab stuff is I am not entirely sure where I am going to be job wise by the end of the year so I have tried to be a bit on the conservative side in case I find myself needing to look for jobs.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Just force small page sharing.

http://blog.eeg3.net/2013/12/01/transparent-page-sharing-boosts-by-disabling-large-pages-and-how-thats-awesome-for-your-home-lab/

you'll get so much out of 32GB it isn't funny.

Also pro tips:

Your AD/CA/DNS will work fine on 800MB even if 2012R
Your SQLEXPRESS server will be fine on 2GB if you limit caching
vCenter 5.x will run fine on 4GB of ram IF you install JRE6u45-JRE6-25
Run any servers at 75% ram, if they are at 33%-66% during normal usage scale it back, hit 75-85.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 26, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

vCenter 5.x will run fine on 4GB of ram IF you install JRE6u45-JRE6-25

vCenter or VCSA?

Also is there a howto for this?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

vCenter or VCSA?

Also is there a howto for this?

Windows installer.

Processes
>install .net4.0
>install JRE6u45
>run through vcenter

Don't ask me why vmware favorites Java6

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

is freeNAS a viable thing to set up with vcenter to use for datastores? Also is it possible to get a SAN from ebay for not a ton of money. I just want something that supports sata drives.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Stealthgerbil posted:

is freeNAS a viable thing to set up with vcenter to use for datastores? Also is it possible to get a SAN from ebay for not a ton of money. I just want something that supports sata drives.

I use it for most all the things I do in a lab or for my CC. What do you want to know? ZFS is an amazing resource.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Stealthgerbil posted:

Be aware that setting up FreeNAS as a VM is possible but not recommended - the folks over at the FreeNAS forums gleefully tell people this whenever anyone asks about it. I found it to be pretty easy to setup and join to my network and access when I stood up a spare PC I had on-hand, but eventually the noise drove me nuts. I'm thinking about getting a new case and investing in some watercooling equipment to cut down on the noise, but after considering the cost for all that I think I might as well go ahead and buy one of the NAS appliances out there since the cost will pretty much even out unless I go for a really big array size with lots of disks. Still trying to decide where my pain point would be, but for now it's a pipe dream.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Be aware that setting up FreeNAS as a VM is possible but not recommended - the folks over at the FreeNAS forums gleefully tell people this whenever anyone asks about it. I found it to be pretty easy to setup and join to my network and access when I stood up a spare PC I had on-hand, but eventually the noise drove me nuts. I'm thinking about getting a new case and investing in some watercooling equipment to cut down on the noise, but after considering the cost for all that I think I might as well go ahead and buy one of the NAS appliances out there since the cost will pretty much even out unless I go for a really big array size with lots of disks. Still trying to decide where my pain point would be, but for now it's a pipe dream.

Why do they recommend against it as a VM?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Water cooling will still make noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I was running freeNAS on its own computer and it seems to be good so far. I was just wondering how building a basic PC would be versus buying a synology box. If I can build a PC for $200 + the raid card, that is pretty much the same as the synology box, it would be pretty awesome.

Also I saw these cheap 4gb fiber cards http://www.stikc.com/QLogic-QLE2460-HBA-Adapter-PF323

Would that be a cheap way of getting speeds of greater then 1gbit for my home lab setup? From what I read about doing any sort of high availability virtual machine setup, 1gbit ethernet is just not fast enough.

• Locked thread