Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Captain Oblivious posted:

This false dichotomy bullshit needs to stop. Vendrick is cool thematically but dog poo poo AS A FIGHT to play IN A GAME.

A better developer would have reconciled these two things. That's the fundamental challenge of videogames versus novels, you have to reconcile gameplay and story. There was no reason it needed to be a boring lovely unfun fight, yet here we are.

I have to agree with this here. The mood, tone, and weight of the scene are amazingly well done (to me)

But the actual fight is completely boring and uninteresting. I'm all for challenging bosses, but bosses that consistently one shot you as a result of a single mistake just seem lazy to me. There's no interesting mechanic that one shots you. Just a lazy swing. It just seems poorly contrived.

I get that the Souls games are always very lethal, but this instance just made me feel a bit 'ehh'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Quick question about PVP; does it work better in the US? I'm in Norway, and so far I've yet to have a single PVP encounter that didn't end with a backstab from 3m away or other complete bullshit. Several times I wail on the dude (complete with animations and sounds from his end) without doing a single HP of damage, then he dodges away from me and suddenly teleports behind me with a backstab. It's literally unplayable and very irritating when you can't avoid it. I got invaded by the same person 5 times in a row that did this in the Tower of Flame on one character.

e: I ask this because I've seen people PVP where they at least kinda resemble being in the same virtual space.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 26, 2014

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

How do you fight king Vendrick? He just shambles around and ignores me.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

White Phosphorus posted:

Hit him till he gets sick of your bullshit.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 26, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nalesh posted:

Does the seed affect the mad warrior? If so that would be hilarious :v:

I was in Luna so I can't say, but it was a fun little surprise! The guy was just hanging out at the covenant leader.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Am I the only one who liked the Vendrick fight? As in enjoyed the battle itself? It was fun for me.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Am I the only one who liked the Vendrick fight? As in enjoyed the battle itself? It was fun for me.

YOU SLIMY LITTLE INGRATE.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Me and the belfry invaders teamed up to fight the true threat: the blue sentinels. Then I got stuck on a ledge and combo'd to death. A fleeting truce. :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

White Phosphorus posted:

You need to do enough damage to start the fight. Collect Giant Souls (five tops) to reduce his defense, if you're going in with none you might as well just quit now because you'll break all your weapons before you get his attention.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

It was the epitome of a no-mistakes battle which is just a little ... 'eh'. :effort:

There's already plenty of bosses in DS2/DS1 that are basically 'no mistakes' battles without it being the primary 'gimmick'.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Vendrick needed more moves, which is something that can be said for almost every boss in the game. A lot of them have like, 2-3 attacks they can do total, and that makes them really easy to predict.

fuxxo
Feb 17, 2010

Fucking Pokemon, how do they Surf?

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Vendrick needed more moves, which is something that can be said for almost every boss in the game. A lot of them have like, 2-3 attacks they can do total, and that makes them really easy to predict.

He actually has some ranged spell that he uses once a year.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Flytrap posted:

With this fandom it would enforce the exact opposite idea.

I don't get what you mean.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

I liked the Vendrick fight too. Fought him with a sword and board knight and killed him on the first encounter. I could take two hits to my shield and another hit to my body before having to heal or retreat. Everyone that is getting one-shot is bad at dark souls, heh

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Quick question about PVP; does it work better in the US? I'm in Norway, and so far I've yet to have a single PVP encounter that didn't end with a backstab from 3m away or other complete bullshit. Several times I wail on the dude (complete with animations and sounds from his end) without doing a single HP of damage, then he dodges away from me and suddenly teleports behind me with a backstab. It's literally unplayable and very irritating when you can't avoid it. I got invaded by the same person 5 times in a row that did this in the Tower of Flame on one character.

e: I ask this because I've seen people PVP where they at least kinda resemble being in the same virtual space.

PvP works perfectly fine for me in Denmark, if that means anything. Some fights turn out to be laggy, unwinnable messes, but that's fairly rare, so I'd wager it's your or your opponent's internet provider limiting you.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Stokes posted:

I WANT MY SOULS BACK! :argh:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
When in the game are you supposed to find the fire longsword and if its not after getting the kings ring, how do you access that area?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Jose posted:

When in the game are you supposed to find the fire longsword and if its not after getting the kings ring, how do you access that area?

Umm the first area of the game? Tunnel in the bottom area of the forest of fallen giants.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

voltron lion force posted:

Umm the first area of the game? Tunnel in the bottom area of the forest of fallen giants.

Also it's just a fire-infused longsword so if you've got the King's Ring it's been well within your means to just make one yourself for a good long while.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Stokes posted:

Normal Person: "Oh wow, this guy gets even tougher the more I die. Maybe I should just leave him alone."

Souls Player: "This guy get's HARDER!? How many times do I need to die to get him max level!? This fight's gonna be rad! :drac:"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kaldaris posted:

It was the epitome of a no-mistakes battle which is just a little ... 'eh'. :effort:

There's already plenty of bosses in DS2/DS1 that are basically 'no mistakes' battles without it being the primary 'gimmick'.

Not really, with how slow he is to attack it's very forgiving so long as you can survive a hit. And you'd have to have really lovely health/defense not to manage that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Jose posted:

It's in the Forest of the Fallen Giants, you can get it right at the beginning of the game.

I actually sold it because I tend to just flit between the Heide Knight Sword, Scimitar, and the Drangleic Sword.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Opposing Farce posted:

Also it's just a fire-infused longsword so if you've got the King's Ring it's been well within your means to just make one yourself for a good long while.

Oh I know that, I just found that area after dropping down from the Memory of Jeigh giant. I never came across it otherwise and I thought I'd explored pretty much everywhere. Except those Salamander things around the lift in FoFG near the bonfire

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Not really, with how slow he is to attack it's very forgiving so long as you can survive a hit. And you'd have to have really lovely health/defense not to manage that.

With full HP I can survive a hit. But that's not the point. There's a ton of people that fight him as mages, dex builds, etc, etc. You name it-- and their Defense isn't the greatest either.

He does a lot of damage. How he attacks isn't the point. The point is the basic mechanic of the fight is kind of dull.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Jose posted:

Oh I know that, I just found that area after dropping down from the Memory of Jeigh giant. I never came across it otherwise and I thought I'd explored pretty much everywhere. Except those Salamander things around the lift in FoFG near the bonfire

Go kill them and get yourself the Rebel Greatshield

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Speaking of the Fire Longsword, is anyone else seeing loads of petrified players around that area? Is that a NG+ thing or something? Because none of the enemies there seem to petrify, obviously.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Go kill them and get yourself the Rebel Greatshield

I might do it on my next play through, but how do you even get there without dropping down?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Jose posted:

I might do it on my next play through, but how do you even get there without dropping down?

Use the key you get from the beginning of the Iron Keep on the locked door next to the Last Giant.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
You get the Fire Longsword real early. You know that big pit right outside Cardinal Tower? Go down, there's a cave there that leads to where the Longsword is. One of the best early game weapons and well worth using/upgrading.

The place where you jump down to the lizards doesn't actually connect to that area though, does it? I can't remember which of the fire lizard areas does that.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

Jordbo posted:

Speaking of the Fire Longsword, is anyone else seeing loads of petrified players around that area? Is that a NG+ thing or something? Because none of the enemies there seem to petrify, obviously.

Aren't those just there for scenery?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I learned that it's not a bright idea to pull out your pyromancy flame if you're covered in oil. :downs:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Is the Fire Longsword better than the Heidie Knight Sword? I always used that instead and ended up just selling the longsword to Gavlan.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jordbo posted:

They're charbroiled, not petrified.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Toadsmash posted:

Aren't those just there for scenery?

It is for scenery. I think they're the hollowed soldiers that were turned to stony husks from the salamander fire, something like the casts of people in Pompeii.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Cyberventurer posted:

I learned that it's not a bright idea to pull out your pyromancy flame if you're covered in oil. :downs:

... Seriously?

I've never even thought of that. I'll have to try it out for myself sometime. :downs:

Inspector_666 posted:

Is the Fire Longsword better than the Heidie Knight Sword? I always used that instead and ended up just selling the longsword to Gavlan.

The Heide Sword is technically better if only because it has better scaling IIRC.

The fire longsword is literally just a fire stone + longsword. It's not more complex than that.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Cyberventurer posted:

it took me forever to figure out why I was suddenly exploding in No Man's Wharf the first time through. :(

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kaldaris posted:

The Heide Sword is technically better if only because it has better scaling IIRC.

The fire longsword is literally just a fire stone + longsword. It's not more complex than that.

Yeah, I ended up dumping it because the scaling was better, even though I'm not dumping anything into Faith at this point.

I'm not far enough to be able to infuse my weapons, nor do I really understand a lot of the upgrade paths and stuff, I just look for bigger numbers.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Cardboard Box posted:

it took me forever to figure out why I was suddenly exploding in No Man's Wharf the first time through. :(

But the pyromancy flame is in a chest after you beat the Flexile Sentry?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Captain Oblivious posted:

This false dichotomy bullshit needs to stop. Vendrick is cool thematically but dog poo poo AS A FIGHT to play IN A GAME.

A better developer would have reconciled these two things. That's the fundamental challenge of videogames versus novels, you have to reconcile gameplay and story. There was no reason it needed to be a boring lovely unfun fight, yet here we are.

Its not a false dichotomy, your just stuck in a mentality where gameplay has to always be fun in the traditional sense. Gameplay wise, the fight is designed so that he resembles a giant hollow soldier. This is an intentional choice. Its supposed to remind you of fighting them because it reinforces what Vendrick has become. If he had been fought another way it wouldn't of sold the scene as well. The only problem is he has too much health. Other than that the fight is perfectly fine. They didn't ignore gameplay, they used a specific kind of gameplay to tell the story. If they weren't doing that then Vendrick probably would of been more like Gwyn, which might be more fun to fight but would ruin his story and what makes the encounter unique.

Ancient Dragon is the boss that has no excuse for how loving abysmally terrible it is. That is the boss they put zero effort into.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

This is just flat out wrong. One of the things I noticed is that almost all of the bosses in this game have a ton of different moves. Though with some of them their AI gets stuck repeating the same one over and over. Freja is a good example, she never stops spamming her laser if you back off more than 5 feet.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Blue Sentinel Rank 2 get. I am now, in fact, grossly incandescent (when summoned or invading as a blue phantom).

Shame rank 3 is somewhere between implausible and impossible.