Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

There's a wiki for the game here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
The new Sailor Moon series will be streaming on Crunchyroll:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-05-24/crunchyroll-to-also-stream-sailor-moon-crystal/.74884

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Ah, while we're still on the topic, is there any reason to watch the OVAs for Eve no Jikan if you plan on watching the movie? I heard the movie covers all the story presented in the OVAs, but are there any additional scenes I'd be missing out on if I chose to not watch them?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Some randoms have made tweets/posts about the Studio Trigger panels at Animazement:
  • LWA2 staff not yet decided, will have more veteran animators
  • Most recent plot has been thrown into the trash and they're working on a new one
  • Correcting the young animators' mistakes on LWA was difficult for Yoshinari
  • LWA had ~20 animators, KLK had >200, way more flexibility with LWA vs KLK which was more businesslike
  • Regarding Inferno Cop 2: They have many ideas but no budget (rip trigger if they can't afford this)
  • Yoshinari described Imaishi's directing style as skanky and perverted while he aspires to be a gentleman
  • Yoshinari doesn't like LWA1 (in the sense of 'it could have been way better', I think?)
  • Yuji Kaneko (art director for LWA/KLK) has watched Bob Ross's TV show
  • They don't know if Ninja Slayer will be a TV series or OVA
  • Schedule: Inou Battle, LWA2, Ninja Slayer, then Imaishi's next anime
  • Inou Battle is slice-of-life, completely different from everything else they've done
  • Yoshinari's favorite character from a show he worked on is Simon, because Simon is like a mirror of Imaishi, and he likes Imaishi, but he isn't gay
  • KLK ep 25 finishes up the individual character arcs
  • Trigger hasn't heard the KLK English dub, Aniplex decides dub cast

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

pandaK posted:

is there any reason to watch the OVAs for Eve no Jikan if you plan on watching the movie? Are there any additional scenes I'd be missing out on if I chose to not watch them?

No the movie is 100% everything, it even has more. I did enjoy it episodically though, more time to digest each story.
Of course there was no choice back then and certainly a lot of time.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Use it as an excuse to watch it twice. It's worth watching at least two times.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
New pv for new PA Works show. Looks like a pretty laid back sol drama, but other than that there doesn't seem to be much else to the story. But, they did make Nagi no Asukara work so I'm still curious.

.Clash posted:

No the movie is 100% everything, it even has more. I did enjoy it episodically though, more time to digest each story.
Of course there was no choice back then and certainly a lot of time.

The pacing feels better to me watching it episode by episode, and like you said, that pause give you time to think about each one separately. I never did finish the movie though; I should go see all the stuff that was added.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

New pv for new PA Works show. Looks like a pretty laid back sol drama, but other than that there doesn't seem to be much else to the story. But, they did make Nagi no Asukara work so I'm still curious.

One of the girls says she can see the future.
So there is something supernatural.
Also, hens.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

nielsm posted:

Also, hens.

So, PA Works is bringing back Raigomaru?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

unpronounceable posted:

So, PA Works is bringing back Raigomaru?

Raigomaru deserves to rest in peace, dude! That rooster endured too much!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A new Tenchi Muyo series is happening in the form of 5 minute shorts, presumably because every 4-5 years they have to remind everyone that yes, Tenchi exists.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Srice posted:

A new Tenchi Muyo series is happening in the form of 5 minute shorts, presumably because every 4-5 years they have to remind everyone that yes, Tenchi exists.

Wasn't Tenchi pretty much the first harem series? They're going to milk that cow until it bleeds.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

darkgray posted:

Eh, apparently there's a new Initial D movie (remake) coming out, and they've changed the entire voice cast. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkjfHGdkDfQ

Such a waste.

This looks literally identical to the original. What's the point?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zorak posted:

Wasn't Tenchi pretty much the first harem series? They're going to milk that cow until it bleeds.
They released the third/final OVA after like 10 years back in 2005 and it absolutely sucked. I can't imagine there's anything left in that cow.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The original Tenchi OVAs were some of the first anime I saw (probably the first sub), but I couldn't get more than a couple episodes into the third set. I don't even know how it ended, partially because I'm not sure I want to know.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well, Tenchi ends up marrying like everyone and it turns out the Masaki family tree is more of a family bush.

Seriously, like every character is related.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, Tenchi ends up marrying like everyone and it turns out the Masaki family tree is more of a family bush.

Seriously, like every character is related.
How does that work for Ryoko, unless you count Washu as Sasami's sister because of Tsunami?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Zorak posted:

Should that be something by Rumiko Takahashi? Or do none of them count? I haven't really seen/read much of her early series.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

They released the third/final OVA after like 10 years back in 2005 and it absolutely sucked. I can't imagine there's anything left in that cow.

Its fine! the story just moved on to the Younger Brother and sent him to a Parallel Universe so we can get massive references without confirming or denying anything whatsoever.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

XboxPants posted:

Should that be something by Rumiko Takahashi? Or do none of them count? I haven't really seen/read much of her early series.

I guess it'd all depend on how you define harem, though I want to say Tenchi at the very least started what people think of when they hear "harem anime" today.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

A bit late to the party but Patema Inverted was really amazing. I guess I should finally watch Time of Eve now.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Zorak posted:

I think Urusei Yatsura counts as harem, and it came long before Tenchi.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I don't know about that because aside from Sakura and Oyuki no one other than Lum has any interest in Ataru. Even then Sakura dumps him and Oyuki was just a one time thing never brought up again. You could count it as the first reverse harem though, think about it. All the men in the show have at lest an infatuation with Lum and most of the female characters are there because of Lum. Ranma might be a better fit but even then the series isn't focused on Ranma's relationships. They're a thing but it's more about wacky martial arts or other craziness and frankly Ranma himself isn't really a dull character.

No for my money Zorak is right. Tenchi was the first to bring all the elements of a harem show together. The dull main character, the laser focus on their relationships, the multiple partners vying for their affection and their either refusal on inability to make a choice. Ataru wants all the girls, Lum only wants Ataru and Ranma just wants all the crazies to leave him a lone. Tenchi however is just a leaf in the wind blowing to wherever.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 27, 2014

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
There was also Ah My Goddess, which also predates Tenchi Muyo, even though not all the heroines fall in love with the main character. I want to say Ah My Goddess might be the one that set up a lot of trends that the harem genre has now. Tenchi is just remembered in the West due to being one of those early Toonami shows.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Allarion posted:

There was also Ah My Goddess, which also predates Tenchi Muyo, even though not all the heroines fall in love with the main character. I want to say Ah My Goddess might be the one that set up a lot of trends that the harem genre has now. Tenchi is just remembered in the West due to being one of those early Toonami shows.

Well not all the heroines in Tenchi are into him, either. Mihoshi and Kiyone certainly aren't, Washu isn't usually used as a love interest either, neither is human Ryo-ohki (what? in a modern anime she totally would be). And Tenchi's still a harem anime.

WRT to Goddess, I guess you could also object that Keiichi has an obvious interest in Belldandy but there are plenty of harem shows where it's clear there's a main love interest that the guy will wind up with in the end. It's not like Keiichi is actually making moves on Belldandy.

All that said, I suppose it's fair to say that Tenchi really perfected the modern mold, even if it had precursors.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

XboxPants posted:

WRT to Goddess, I guess you could also object that Keiichi has an obvious interest in Belldandy but there are plenty of harem shows where it's clear there's a main love interest that the guy will wind up with in the end. It's not like Keiichi is actually making moves on Belldandy.

All that said, I suppose it's fair to say that Tenchi really perfected the modern mold, even if it had precursors.
AMG has the setting but not the characters. Lots of girls live with the main character, and he even interacts with a fair number of others elsewhere, but the only two who express genuine interest are Belldandy and Sayoko. Most of the other girls even have their own romantic pursuits. Bell and K1 are also absolutely dating for the majority of the comic even if it's a long-running joke that they never get physically intimate (which got brought up as a plot point at the end in a fairly hilariously bad way).

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Not really sure where else this goes, but...

Yeah, Oshii in person, which never happens. Wish I lived near Toronto.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I really want to see Innocence on a big screen

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

That's really cool except for no angel's egg.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

muike posted:

I really want to see Innocence on a big screen

Paint a wall orange.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i think the reason i like human revolution so much is because it's like playing Innocence

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I'm gonna be away when this is going on :(

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I have not noticed that this was mentioned, but Crunchyroll put The Princess and the Pilot up about a week or so ago. I watched it a few days ago. In the same world as The Pilot's Love Song from last season (which mostly sucked).

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

TheDemon posted:

This looks literally identical to the original. What's the point?

It's a way to control the population and bring up the average intelligence of the nation at the same time.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also late to the Patema Inverted party, but that was an excellent piece of film. Only complaints are that the villain was a little contrived and they could have used a little bit better exposition at the end. I figured it out well enough, but I could see how somebody could misunderstand it. Especially the manufactured sky.

On another note, it's too bad the No Game No Life thread kinda turned to poo poo and had to get gassed, since it's entering the awesome mindfuckery arc.

Bakanogami fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 29, 2014

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Bakanogami posted:

On another note, it's too bad the No Game No Life thread kinda turned to poo poo and had to get gassed, since it's entering the awesome mindfuckery arc.

The way they used the ending animation was simply brilliance.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Wow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLhE2EhuoZ8
Actually worse than the joke 4kids dub.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
And the BD release is ~$200 total (for the non-limited edition), as expected of Aniplex.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

I hate the way dub voice actors tend to over-enunciate. Every. Word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
I hate how they insist on keeping Japanese words in the script yet are unable to pronounce them properly.

• Locked thread