Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Edmund Honda posted:

The context is this: these are the best selling games/gaming accessories in 2014 on the biggest online retailer in the country. There have been fewer copies of MK8 sold than copies of 18 other games, quite a few of which are either 2013 releases or Xbone/PS4 editions.

It's a public ranking of sales from a very large retailer. It isn't the whole market but it's a large slice of it, dismissing it as not 'useful' is a bizarre attitude.

No it's not. You need more variables to understand the list plain and simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does anyone have an understanding of why sales numbers are so secretive? I would think releasing that info would be an requirement even for any public company.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

PrBacterio posted:

That list of "best-selling games since the beginning of the year so far" seems kind of a red herring to me anyway when talking about a game that's coming out in just a little under a week from now. You'll notice that Watch Dogs is also nowhere to be seen on that list, for instance.
The PS4 version of Watch Dogs is #43 on that list.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I said come in! posted:

Does anyone have an understanding of why sales numbers are so secretive? I would think releasing that info would be an requirement even for any public company.

For one thing, actual sales figures are much harder to determine than shipping figures - a store will eventually tell you when they've sold out all their shipment or that over the past months they've sold half of it; but it's not available right away.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

All that's required is to document the amount of money they spent, and the amount of money they got from other people. "The amount of money that third-party distributors made off our product" isn't relevant.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I don't see MK8 getting those numbers that AAA publishers go after though.

I bet over it's lifetime it does five to six million which is a pretty desirable number for AAA games. Nintendo games have legs after all and unless Mario Kart 8 is a complete disaster it will continuing selling as long as the Wii U is out there. One-quarter of the total install base is pretty close to what Mario Kart games usually sell and that's probably around where the Wii U is going to peter out at the end.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Do Nintendo games get a lot of preorders? I doubt it. So why do you care so much about pre-sale data? The thing about MK8 (and the other MK games) is they consistently sell over time. Wait till January of next year. After Christmas. I bet you'll see it way up on the list of best selling games of 2014.

It will definitely be #1 for Wii U and will likely be top 10 of anything. Pretty much anyone with a Wii U or who gets a Wii U will get this game. You can't really say that about games on other systems.

Ultimately, who cares. Get the game. Play it. Enjoy it. The Wii U isn't going away any time soon. It's not a huge hit. Whatever. It's a cool little system that does something awesome that PS4 and Xbone don't: it plays the previous generations games.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Waltzing Along posted:

It's a cool little system that does something awesome that PS4 and Xbone don't: it plays the previous generations games.

Too bad it can't play the current generation games. :v:

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Waltzing Along posted:

Ultimately, who cares. Get the game. Play it. Enjoy it. The Wii U isn't going away any time soon. It's not a huge hit. Whatever. It's a cool little system that does something awesome that PS4 and Xbone don't: it plays the previous generations games.
Well, it's a primarily multiplayer title so worrying about its popularity is not entirely without reason. Also I think people are more wondering whether it'll push some more console sales for the Wii U, which is what Nintendo really need (and are looking for) with this title; that it'll sell to the majority of the 6 million or thereabouts people who already do own one is pretty much a given at this point, I think.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

PrBacterio posted:

that it'll sell to the majority of the 6 million or thereabouts people who already do own one is pretty much a given at this point, I think.

Not very likely. Mario Kart Wii didn't even sell to the majority of Wii owners. MKW sold 36 million and the Wii sold 101 million. Expecting 8 to relatively perform much better than MKW (which would be needed to sell to the majority of Wii U owners) is a pipe dream.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

less laughter posted:

Not very likely. Mario Kart Wii didn't even sell to the majority of Wii owners. MKW sold 36 million and the Wii sold 101 million. Expecting 8 to perform much better than that relatively (which would be needed to sell to the majority of Wii U owners) is a pipe dream.

Attach rates tend to be higher on lower install bases. NSMBU had an almost 70% attach rate for the longest time, and NSMBWii wasn't even close to that.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Crowbear posted:

Attach rates tend to be higher on lower install bases. NSMBU had an almost 70% attach rate for the longest time, and NSMBWii wasn't even close to that.
Yes, that's what I was going for, anyone who owns a Wii U right now in spite of everything is probably pretty much a hardcore Nintendo fan, and most of those are going to buy MK8 no matter what.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I think I am finally beginning to understand how more copies of ET were made than Atari consoles to play them on.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

abagofcheetos posted:

I think I am finally beginning to understand how more copies of ET were made than Atari consoles to play them on.
I never really found that hard to understand, honestly. Though in Nintendo's case it's much more likely to end up with them having to junk a whole bunch of unsold Wii U's that are still sitting around in warehouses around the world collecting dust right now.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

abagofcheetos posted:

Fortunately, Nintendo has the minor advantage of not having to print all of them that they think they'll ever sell in advance.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

Do Nintendo games get a lot of preorders? I doubt it. So why do you care so much about pre-sale data? The thing about MK8 (and the other MK games) is they consistently sell over time. Wait till January of next year. After Christmas. I bet you'll see it way up on the list of best selling games of 2014.

It will definitely be #1 for Wii U and will likely be top 10 of anything. Pretty much anyone with a Wii U or who gets a Wii U will get this game. You can't really say that about games on other systems.

get real bro, you can't enjoy games unless you have meticulously assorted sales data on every single one and attach your wellbeing to its financial state

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

MinibarMatchman posted:

get real bro, you can't enjoy games unless you have meticulously assorted sales data on every single one and attach your wellbeing to its financial state

This is an A-grade straw man, congratulations.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Ooh, are we doing the obnoxious back-and-forth argument game again? Let me have a turn!

I hope not. It's just weird that some people feel the need to come in to a thread about how the Wii U is performing and complain about people discussing how the Wii U is performing.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 26, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Ooh, are we doing the obnoxious back-and-forth argument game again? Let me have a turn!

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

PrBacterio posted:

Well, it's a primarily multiplayer title so worrying about its popularity is not entirely without reason. Also I think people are more wondering whether it'll push some more console sales for the Wii U, which is what Nintendo really need (and are looking for) with this title; that it'll sell to the majority of the 6 million or thereabouts people who already do own one is pretty much a given at this point, I think.

I don't think we have anything to worry about regarding the MK8 online community. Heck, I'm probably going to spend most of my online multiplayer-time in private tournaments anyway. There will be an active player-base for this, guaranteed.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

Umm did you miss the sick burn up there? Talking about video games as a business isn't allowed here and clearly we care so much it stops us from playing games and isn't just an interesting thing to discuss.

Waltzing Along posted:

So why do you care so much about pre-sale data?

What makes you think I care that much? I thought how far down the charts it is was funny.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

MinibarMatchman posted:

No one is doing that, you're just angry because people pointed out that your expectations are unrealistic. Chill out and go play a videogame or something.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
It's totally legitimate to think that the Wii U is failing and still think it might be a worthwhile purchase at some point. I'll probably get one sometime in 2015 because there's like half a dozen games on the Wii U that appeal to me and I never had a Wii so there's a massive back catalogue of stuff I need to catch up on and play that's available on it. The number of games announced for the other two systems that I want amounts to...one (MGS5) and I'm certainly not buying a system just to play MGS5. So yes, I want a Wii U, but that doesn't mean I don't realize that it's dying. I don't particularly mind that it's dying, because it means that when I buy it next year it'll probably be dirt cheap, but it's OK to recognize that and still think it's a cool system with a lot of worthwhile things to get.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Patter Song posted:

It's totally legitimate to think that the Wii U is failing and still think it might be a worthwhile purchase at some point. I'll probably get one sometime in 2015 because there's like half a dozen games on the Wii U that appeal to me and I never had a Wii so there's a massive back catalogue of stuff I need to catch up on and play that's available on it.

I don't think a lot of people have yet wrapped their mind around the concept that you can both like something and acknowledge that it was a financial failure.

Videogames. :shrug:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There were more ET cartridges produced than systems existed? This sounds apocryphal.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Waltzing Along posted:

There were more ET cartridges produced than systems existed? This sounds apocryphal.

Yeah that's an exaggeration. They did produce something like 5 million carts and only sold ~1.5 million, though. It was a gigantic disaster.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I never had a 2600. We couldn't get it to work on our TV. So I played with a friend. He had ET. He finished the game. I watched him do it. Kids are dumb.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Crowbear posted:

Yeah that's an exaggeration. They did produce something like 5 million carts and only sold ~1.5 million, though. It was a gigantic disaster.

It was Pac-Man that they produced more carts than systems that Atari sold. If you want to extend the number of systems to include the Atari clones that played 2600 carts then there might have been just enough systems out there to buy every copy of Pac-Man produced.

Waltzing Along posted:

I never had a 2600. We couldn't get it to work on our TV. So I played with a friend. He had ET. He finished the game. I watched him do it. Kids are dumb.

It only takes about a minute and a half to finish a level which then repeats the game from the start when you're done.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Random Stranger posted:

It only takes about a minute and a half to finish a level which then repeats the game from the start when you're done.

Unless you fell in a pit because I remember that poo poo being the worst to escape from. :argh:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Sarchasm posted:

I don't think a lot of people have yet wrapped their mind around the concept that you can both like something and acknowledge that it was a financial failure.

Videogames. :shrug:
It may be more appropriate to say that the Wii U "was a financial failure" 5-6 years from now when the system's only sold 20 million.

Random Stranger posted:

Provided you actually manage to beat the game in one go, which, from what I've seen, doesn't seem entirely likely.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

Unless you fell in a pit because I remember that poo poo being the worst to escape from. :argh:

You have to fall into the pits on purpose to get the parts of your phone-home device. Yes, the punishment is identical to the reward and there is no way to tell which is which until you fall in.

I'm thinking given the current WiiU sales MK8 should hit around 2-3 million sales given that those who have consoles are definitely in the Nintendo tent. I can't imagine there are a lot of Nintendo fans left who are waiting to buy both a WiiU and MK8 at full price rather than severe discount in 6-8 months.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Barudak posted:

rather than severe discount in 6-8 months.

I imagine that this is probably part of the reason that the Club Nintendo deal is only for a limited time.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Ultigonio posted:

It may be more appropriate to say that the Wii U "was a financial failure" 5-6 years from now when the system's only sold 20 million.

Even Nintendo doesn't think it's gonna sell more than 20 million units so I think it's ok to pencil it in as kind of a train wreck right now.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Ultigonio posted:

Fair enough. But being bearish on the Wii U's prospects should in no way impede you from enjoying the games it currently has, and vice versa.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Mario Kart Week. It's just getting started. :stare:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Now to watch the underwhelming sales figures in real time!

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Barudak posted:

I can't imagine there are a lot of Nintendo fans left who are waiting to buy both a WiiU and MK8 at full price rather than severe discount in 6-8 months.

I'd expect a decent amount of demand on the bundle. The other big hitters on the Wii haven't really moved consoles but MK is a pretty compelling game.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Now to watch the underwhelming sales figures in real time!

June 4th for 1st weekend retail sales in Japan, 19th for the same in America (if they get leaked). Or earlier if Nintendo share them. Exciting!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I dunno about you guys, but I'll be playing MK8 (and Wind Waker) come Friday. I could give fuckall how many copies it sells.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm going to play games and have fun, too! And then laugh at Nintendo's poor management and botched decision making skills! Win/win scenario!

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
There were more copies of Halo 3 pressed than there were 360s to play them on at the time. If you're expecting something to sell well and move hardware, it's not that big of a stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bovineicide posted:

There were more copies of Halo 3 pressed than there were 360s to play them on at the time. If you're expecting something to sell well and move hardware, it's not that big of a stretch.

Really? Halo 3 sold 11.5 million copies by 2013 having launched in September 2007. The 360 had already shipped 11.6 million units worldwide by July 2007 and by 4 days after Halo 3 came out they'd notched up to almost 13 million

So basically if this were true, Microsoft still had 100,000 copies of Halo 3 that were pressed back in 2007 sitting around unsold as late as last year. That doesn't sound likely to me.

• Locked thread