Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Curses! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible
Do the pods get wifi? cause if they don't I don't wanna go.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Mail received but I have encountered a problem. Does this mean I failed the test?

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance
... That's our captcha? Wow.

EDIT: I looked at that captcha again and it's perfectly fine, I'm not sure why you can't figure it out.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

LtSmash posted:

Mail received but I have encountered a problem. Does this mean I failed the test?

Welp, guess you're a robot, that looks perfectly legible to me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
That is a fine and suitable captcha that cannot deceive my soft, gooey human eyes and apophenic mental processing. Ha! Ha! Ha!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I shall hopefully subject myself to my pod within the next few days, unfortunately I literally just moved this weekend and also crashed my car because of Eldritch horrors an errant mattress so I'm a little busy right now.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
An eldritch mattress, to bring most maddening sleep.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

Captcha entered with the help of a fleshling. Fleshling was already technically dead and thus no agreements were violated. My dictionary doesn't have section for words starting with Ø through ¶ so I'm not sure what a number of words meant in the agreement anyway but the penalties clause sounded ominous. Best not to think about it.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

tHe pod is vEry warm and comfortabLe and you should not at all be worried about the exPerience. i aM happy hEre.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I just completed the Top Secret Access Protocols to begin the download. My monitor appears to be leaking blood, but I assume this is normal.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Notorious QIG posted:

I just completed the Top Secret Access Protocols to begin the download. My monitor appears to be leaking blood, but I assume this is normal.

Really? It's supposed to be leaking green-brown ichor, like from some kind of enormous demonic insect.

Oh well, it's still in beta I guess. :shrug:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

President Ark posted:

Really? It's supposed to be leaking green-brown ichor, like from some kind of enormous demonic insect.

Huh. I'll check that my network settings and ancient sigils are all set correctly.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

nvining posted:

Everybody on my list of victims should have gotten an e-mail: if you didn't get an e-mail from me, then we have a problem and I'll have to resend the e-mail.

For everybody else: see what lovely people these are? They are so lucky. Soon they will go into the pods. Those lucky, lucky people, in their beautiful fleshy new pods. It's so great to be living in the 1950's under Eisenhower.

I hope the next earthquake sinks your city. :argh:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Notorious QIG posted:

Huh. I'll check that my network settings and ancient sigils are all set correctly.

Check the patch notes. The current workaround is antihemorrhagic powder and a couple of bandaids.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mr. Bill posted:

Someday I swear I shall have a pod of my very own!

That's mighty spunky of you young Billy, but with our mother eaten by fishmen and our meatbrick roof (bought at Less than Cost from Shady Sir Slumptoggle's Blighted Roof Shoppe) leaking this winter, I don't even know where we shall place ourselves in the grand scheme of things :smith:

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

President Ark posted:

Mine distinctly said Pre-alpha and that it was plant fertilizer and not for human consumption on the package but isn't that how everyone in SA-MART and TCC labels things?

Gibbo posted:

I hope the next earthquake sinks your city. :argh:

The air outside the pod chafes and while the glow still resonates your 4-space muffles and warps it. No wonder there is so much anger. The pods are young your emotion might harm them. Maybe a cutting from them that you let grow in your brainstem would suffice. I'll modify the harmonic to those beyond but now the pod embraces me once more and such trifles fall away.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mr. Bill posted:

Someday I swear I shall have a pod of my very own!

The pods choose you. You don't choose them.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Mokinokaro posted:

The pods choose you. You don't choose them.

The pod is safe and warm.

The pod is love.

Love the pod.

nvining
May 30, 2011

I'm so happy with our new testers I'm crying tears of blood right now!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nvining posted:

I'm so happy with our new testers I'm crying tears of blood right now!

Is this a side effect for people who live in houses made of meat blocks?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
It is every citizen's final duty to step into the pods, and become one with all the building supplies.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Here's a new blogpost on what we're working on for the technical side of things, like pathfinding and UI.
http://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/05/28/may-technical-status-update-more-from-the-testing-front/

nvining
May 30, 2011

(Those of you who receive the Semifortnightly Aethergraph of Amusement and Folly will note that I have perverted it to my own ends this week.)

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I dream that one day I too will be able to nestle in the tepid embrace of the ones who dance below the waves, until then good blog post, I liked the "illustrations" in the email too.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Thought this might be interesting for the thread, Extra Credits' latest episode is on Cthulhu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DyRxlvM9VM

What does this mean for CE? Well the game goes more for of a "grimbright comedy" (to coin a phrase) and isn't as much about the existential horror of the unknown as it is a commentary of Victorian social mores and on the lengths a player might go to in the name of Progress, Order, or whatever other vaguely defined Greater Good they're attempting to pursue. I mean, any competent governor already knows that the Obeliskians, the Fishmen, they know that something is out there. And they know that the government also has a dim awareness, otherwise the Anti-Paranormal Investigators wouldn't exist either. So in a sense the game actively encourages suppressing that Lovecraftian urge to need to explore, and without completely retooling the game from the bottom up I don't think there would be a good way to hide it effectively for new players more than once.

That said, I do think that if you've let things progress so far that the cultists have managed to summon the Master Spire or whatever the biggest Obeliskian might be then yeah maybe there shouldn't be a way to come back from that no matter how many artillery cannons or clockwork knights you might have between it and the rest of the world. One idea I really like though is letting the player *think* they might be able to kill it. Have Flthulhu or whatever crawl its way up to the material plane, have the speed metal boss music start up, the chorus chanting, and a health meter and timer pops up with "X:XX UNTIL FLTHULU EATS EVERYTHING, CONTINUE? Y/N". Of course the player wants to continue, they got bored with their colony and want to prove they can "beat" the game. They surrounded the colony-sanctioned summoning circle with miles of trenchwork, point defenses, and every citizen is completely kited out in the most advanced tech the Empire has to offer. And so the battle begins, the clock starts running close but that health bar keeps dropping and you're sure you're going to make it as the music goes from climatic to despairing and then to hopeful.

And then when the health bar is nearly gone you do this.

You can't "win" Clockwork Empires. It's a game of experiences and management, not min-maxing. And I definitely think you guys get that. But I definitely think any attempts to get maximum efficiency or munchkin your way around mechanics should result in some pretty horrific stuff that is solely the result of the player's actions. Anything you guys can do that winds up on the level of mermaid farming where the player is horrified but so concerned with efficiency that they simply have to keep going is a sign that the game is a 100% success.

In CE, Cthulhu isn't some cyclopean slumbering tentacled monster from another beyond the stars.
It's the player in front of the computer.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

nvining posted:

(Those of you who receive the Semifortnightly Aethergraph of Amusement and Folly will note that I have perverted it to my own ends this week.)

Just to ask, when I submitted for beta, I had a much worse computer. notably, a laptop that overheats if I do anything more than email and basic browsing. Should I resubmit a beta application or does it matter?

Basically, this game looks amazing, and anything to help me get in on this I'm into.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
I would be interested in partaking in the alpha/beta madness... how would I submit my name? I am already subscribed to the emails.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

yegods posted:

I would be interested in partaking in the alpha/beta madness... how would I submit my name? I am already subscribed to the emails.

I believe they pick people who have been contributing to the thread (and maybe their forums?) throughout development (and I would assume, people who were proven good testers for Dredmor.)

Which is why I'm poo poo and will never get a special invite :P

(I'd be a terrible tester anyway, nothing ever breaks when I test it :P)

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Participate in the thread. That's key. Maybe even participate on the Gaslamp Games Forums, although like most developer forums its a hive of scum and villainy.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
The gaslamp forum for CE also seems to be pretty dead most of the time. Possibly because it's split into sub threads? Probably better to have us all in this one thread that we may more easily be shepherded to the abattoir when the time comes.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

An (old) article that might be interesting is by China Miéville about The wierd/tentacle vs hauntological in fiction and specifically in M.R. James' works:

http://weirdfictionreview.com/2011/11/m-r-james-and-the-quantum-vampire-by-china-mieville/

It is an interesting read and if you are curious about M.R. James' stories there are some (including ones mentioned in the article) you can read from Wikisource here http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Ghost_Stories_of_an_Antiquary

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Admiral Funk posted:

Probably better to have us all in this one thread that we may more easily be shepherded to the abattoir when the time comes.

I do try to keep an eye on the CE forums, but sadly Deadmaus5150 isn't wrong about dev forums. Having an entry fee and trigger-happy mods keeps SA quite astonishingly sane, most of the time. Y'know, outside of /Main.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Sanity is anathema to discussion of this game though.

There is no sanity in the colonies, only various shades of madness.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

I thought I was a pretty trigger-happy mod on our forums :v: seriously though if there's something you think shouldn't belong there feel free to PM me (here or there.)

nvining
May 30, 2011

Tester feedback du jour, reprinted here because it made me laugh and then cry:

"Military. Its for dressing fancy and getting out of regular work right? Mine just seems to do odd jobs and then patrol while ignoring the fishman punching a poet to death. Maybe they just didn't like poetry but that still seems a bit mean. They walked right by and had guns and all."

Clockwork Empires: The Military is for Dressing Fancy and Getting Out of Regular Work.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

nvining posted:

Clockwork Empires: The Military is for Dressing Fancy and Getting Out of Regular Work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI-1PQpvcwE

:allears:

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

I filed my official dispatch from the frontier this evening so I can break my self imposed ban on other subject's dispatches (I didn't want any mental contamination). After careful consultation with with my legal advisers I think I won't be turned into a meat cube if I share this bit with you.

quote:

redacted excited about the full game's release. But redacted about 1000 words. In conclusion I like your game and please don't walk into the sea.
It ended up being a bit of a downer and I hope nobody walks into the sea because CE really is quite delightful even if my poets get punched to death while the soldiers preen.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nvining posted:

Tester feedback du jour, reprinted here because it made me laugh and then cry:

"Military. Its for dressing fancy and getting out of regular work right? Mine just seems to do odd jobs and then patrol while ignoring the fishman punching a poet to death. Maybe they just didn't like poetry but that still seems a bit mean. They walked right by and had guns and all."

Man let's plays of this are going to own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Forget that, multiplayer is going to own so much harder, assuming it turns out to be everything it was built up as originally (I BELIEVE).

• Locked thread