Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

Klungar posted:

Anyone able to provide any guidance on this?

It has been a few days since your original post. Does it seem like it's scabbing over and healing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

DisMafugga posted:

It has been a few days since your original post. Does it seem like it's scabbing over and healing?

I'll have to check the redness itself when I get back home, but I know the chunk of hair has been missing for at least a week. I guess I'm trying to see if any sort of bug issue could cause this kind of hair loss and wound, like ringworm or whatever, or if I should just chalk it up to boys being boys.

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

I can't speak for all cats, but in my experience it takes a very long time for a cats hair to grow back. If it was caused by fighting, or even if he got it caught on/in something and ripped it out it will take a significant amount of time for it to grow back. I wouldn't so much worry about the hair loss (unless it continues and is spreading) and focus more on the wound itself. If the wound is healing I'd say it'll be fine.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
Scabs like that plus hair loss is what I used to see in my roommate's Manx when she got flea bites. She had some kind of allergy to them or maybe she just scratched them way too much.

baxxy
Feb 18, 2005

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -homer simpson

JustJeff88 posted:

While I've read the pet nutrition thread, I need some advice about the best food to pick as apparently my dry food of preference is being phased out.

For some time I've been giving both of my cats this since it's a high quality grain-free food that's good for all life stages. I have a male tuxedo, about 9 months old (so still a kitten) and a female tabby who's just over a year, so a very young adult. I tried Wellness CORE turkey and duck, and may tabby couldn't keep it down - she literally threw up after every meal. However, I gave both of these furry buggers Wellness CORE kitten when they were younger and they had no problems with that. I'm thinking of getting a small bag of the CORE chicken (which is for adults only) to make sure that they can stomach it, but that's an adult-only food and my littlest isn't fully grown.

I'm going to have to go all dry for the time being as I just lost my job, but I think that I will be okay as I have a fountain and my cats seem to drink a fair amount of water. If anyone has any suggestions, especially cost-efficient ones, I'd appreciate it.

I feel like you got lost in trolling. I just wanted to chime in that I feel like 9 months is probably old enough you could switch to adult food without issue. When I first got my cat, he was about 6 months old and I knew gently caress-all about cats, so I fed him whatever was on sale at the grocery store (I learned that wasn't good when he was almost 2, and I definitely noticed how much softer and shinier he got when I switched to better food). He's now turning 13 in a couple weeks, so I'd say he did all right with the adult food at that age. :) To be fair, I'm not fully versed on the differences between adult and kitten food (I will be Googling that shortly), but for sure if this is your best option right now, don't fret that it will actively damage your younger one. Oreohead was healthy, active, and it certainly didn't stunt his growth!

Oh, also, Canidae has some all stages diets. My brats are both on the Canidae Sea (salmon) diet now, which is for adults, but there are a couple different flavors for their all stages diets, too. It's a premium grain-free.

baxxy fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 23, 2014

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it
Update on Boston (cat) and Olive (bunny)'s cohabitation process, in vine form.

It's going very well!

Boston is a little scared of her...

Thanks for the advice earlier in the thread! :)

baxxy
Feb 18, 2005

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -homer simpson

Jay O posted:

Update on Boston (cat) and Olive (bunny)'s cohabitation process, in vine form.

It's going very well!

Boston is a little scared of her...

Thanks for the advice earlier in the thread! :)

What a beautiful bunny! That's pretty much how it went with my cat and bunny, too. Once the bunny approached the cat, it was like Oreohead went, "prey isn't supposed to come TOWARD me!" and freaked out. Bob (bunny) ended up relishing this and chasing poor Oreohead around a bit. :)

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

All redness is gone, it's just the hunk of hair missing at this point. Must have just been a wrassling injury as I expected. Thanks for the info!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

baxxy posted:

I feel like you got lost in trolling. I just wanted to chime in that I feel like 9 months is probably old enough you could switch to adult food without issue. When I first got my cat, he was about 6 months old and I knew gently caress-all about cats, so I fed him whatever was on sale at the grocery store (I learned that wasn't good when he was almost 2, and I definitely noticed how much softer and shinier he got when I switched to better food). He's now turning 13 in a couple weeks, so I'd say he did all right with the adult food at that age. :) To be fair, I'm not fully versed on the differences between adult and kitten food (I will be Googling that shortly), but for sure if this is your best option right now, don't fret that it will actively damage your younger one. Oreohead was healthy, active, and it certainly didn't stunt his growth!

Oh, also, Canidae has some all stages diets. My brats are both on the Canidae Sea (salmon) diet now, which is for adults, but there are a couple different flavors for their all stages diets, too. It's a premium grain-free.

I did get lost in the trolling, and thank you for your input. They had CORE kitten when they were younger, so I know that it's not all that make of food, so I went out yesterday and bought the smallest (1 kilo) bag of the basic CORE dry formula, which is a melange of chicken, turkey and fish. I'll try that out on them when the old food runs out and, if all goes well, that will probably be their new staple. I feel bad about not giving them wet food anymore (once these 5 or so tins I have left are gone), but dry food is much more cost efficient, I find.

I believe that kitten food is higher in fat and caloric density, for active little ones, but don't quote me on that.

Sods Law
Nov 9, 2009
I've just had two kittens arrive today, both from the same litter. They came over at noon and since then they have fed once and used the litter tray (hooray!). One thing I've noticed is that the male kitten appears to be quite happy to be handled and though a little nervous will come near me and my girlfriend without too much fuss. The other female kitten seems more timid and spent the first hour under the sofa refusing to come out. I understand you're not supposed to overstimulate them/handle them/expect too much of them when they first arrive but I wanted to check whether its normal for the female kitten to be rather shy and spend most of the time sleeping out of sight. I'd also appreciate any advice on what to do to help make her more comfortable. For reference the two kittens are ten weeks old.

Sods Law fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 24, 2014

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir
Hiding is completely normal. Some cats adjust to being in new homes really easily (Mine was ready to see the rest of the apartment on day two), but others need more time to adjust, some as long as a week or two.

She'll come out when she's more comfortable with where she is and with you; just keep an eye on if she's eating and using the litter box. You might try just sitting in the room with a treat and ignoring her to see if she'll come out, but if she doesn't budge that's OK, too.

Sods Law
Nov 9, 2009

aghastly posted:

Hiding is completely normal. Some cats adjust to being in new homes really easily (Mine was ready to see the rest of the apartment on day two), but others need more time to adjust, some as long as a week or two.

She'll come out when she's more comfortable with where she is and with you; just keep an eye on if she's eating and using the litter box. You might try just sitting in the room with a treat and ignoring her to see if she'll come out, but if she doesn't budge that's OK, too.

Thanks :) She's been a bit more active as she's eaten more but she still isn't too keen on us getting close. She has her brother to show us that we're not mean or scary as well!

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Unfortunately, my cat Jame's fascinated by the crazy mysterious Outside World and will do anything he can to get out there. I live with my dad and I know that if he leaves the house when I'm there then I can catch him, but my dad can't. One day he's going to get loose while I'm at work and I'll just have to wait on pins and needles for eight hours until I can see if he was smart enough to stick around the house.

I tried the harness thing but he just crawls under bushes and in hard to reach places until I'm forced to let go of it. If I start pulling on the leash he'll do his damndest to wiggle out of it.

I wanted to take him to a fenced-in area in the neighborhood so he could get his energy out but the only place around here is a dog-park with a lot of underbrush for him to get lost in. Plus there's a tree there that hangs over a fence so he could theoretically climb right out if he finds it.

I try to play with him, but it's a crapshoot what toy he wants to play with and for how long. The other cat doesn't help much since she's lazy and non-confrontational. Our neighbor's putting in a six-foot high vinyl fence so with a staple gun and some chickenwire I might be able to give him an entire backyard to play in.

Is letting him in the future fenced-in backyard only going to exacerbate his desire to go outside? Should I just play with him smarter/harder? What could I do to be a less harsh Judge Frollo to my Quasimodo cat?

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 7, 2016

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What are the downsides to feeding a cat nothing but chicken?

One of my mine will be 8 in about 3 more weeks, he's growing fickle with what he'll eat but he'll devour chicken in seconds, I've been supplementing this with a daily vitamin twice a day, so I'm curious what could be the downside to this, I assume its mostly nutrients he'll be lacking that cat food provides but I also wonder if the vitamin is enough to provide this.

He had a check up a little over 2 months ago along with some dental work up, everything is fine, if anything he's gotten fatter and healthier since I started on the vitamin/chicken stuff, his coat shines like never before.

But I do wonder about this long term so I ask here, my own research in the net seems inconclusive, some say no, others say as treats, some say they've given chicken to their cats their entire lives and the cats is fine.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Alteisen posted:

One of my mine will be 8 in about 3 more weeks, he's growing fickle with what he'll eat but he'll devour chicken in seconds, I've been supplementing this with a daily vitamin twice a day, so I'm curious what could be the downside to this, I assume its mostly nutrients he'll be lacking that cat food provides but I also wonder if the vitamin is enough to provide this.

He had a check up a little over 2 months ago along with some dental work up, everything is fine, if anything he's gotten fatter and healthier since I started on the vitamin/chicken stuff, his coat shines like never before.

But I do wonder about this long term so I ask here, my own research in the net seems inconclusive, some say no, others say as treats, some say they've given chicken to their cats their entire lives and the cats is fine.

I would not do it long-term. Vitamin pills aren't a cure-all for poor nutrition. There's a limit to what can be absorbed at once, and vitamins need different substances to be absorbed (e.g., fat v. water soluble).

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Alteisen posted:

The downside is that your cat will most likely die of an entirely preventable, nutrition-related disease. How soon and which disease depend on what's in the multivitamin. There are certain nutrients that are extremely unlikely to be present in sufficient quantities in a multivitamin from a pet store, such as calcium. However, there are special supplements that can be added to chicken to turn it into a complete and balanced diet, but they're probably quite a bit more expensive than whatever multivitamin you got. If you really want to feed your cat only chicken, you should get a supplement and follow the associated recipes from balanceit.com.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

There's a growing consensus that the only reason humans should take vitamins is if they have an actual medical deficiency caused by something else, because you can over-do vitamin content in your diet. The best way to overdo it is to take vitamin pills every day. I can't imagine it's much different for cats.

Cats need a certain assortment of things in their diet, and overall cats are probably more delicate than we are.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ok appreciate the advice, Ill keep the chicken as treats and find some wet food he really likes.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I got my cat fixed (female) on Thursday and now her stitches look like this.

Looks like it is infected a bit?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

goodness posted:

I got my cat fixed (female) on Thursday and now her stitches look like this.

Looks like it is infected a bit?
Does she have her cone on still? I took the cone off of my cats too early and they both ended up having to go back and stay at the vet's to recover because they would inevitably gently caress with the stitches. That pic does remind me of the stitches on one of them; it was a little yellow-goopy and a bit loose.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
well...after that image. Why do people get their cats "fixed"?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
To reduce the number of unwanted kittens overcrowding homes, shelters, and streets, to reduce the stress in the cats' lives and health as they rotate through useless heat cycles, reduce chance for reproductive diseases, and of course reduce chances of damage to your home.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

For the novelty paperweights.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I guess some people like q-tipping their cats.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Here's a resource that explains it pretty well: http://bit.ly/1iiNylw

Also Bob Barker told me to and I must obey.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Facepalm Ranger posted:

So they live longer and are happier?

Why do people get heart surgery if its going to look like this?

goodness fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 26, 2014

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
Because my cat is needy and loud enough and there was no way in hell that I was going to let her go through a heat cycle because I think I would have killed her.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Hmmm I think I'm gonna let my cat keep his fuzzy lil balls.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Hmmm I think I'm gonna let my cat keep his fuzzy lil balls.

Congratulations on your intact tomcat piss home smell!

Don't forget the yowling and roaming!

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
Nah, bro just get some Neuticles put in during the neuter and your little dudebro won't even know the difference.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

HelloSailorSign posted:

Congratulations on your intact tomcat piss home smell!

Don't forget the yowling and roaming!

Hey look at you, you big internet snark.

I asked why people do what they do with their cat and that's cool. I have (currently) decided not to follow suite (I can change my mind though as is my right).

Christ.

Grape Soda posted:

Nah, bro just get some Neuticles put in during the neuter and your little dudebro won't even know the difference.

Thanks man, I'll keep in mind should I decide. He's not doing any territory stuff yet so we're good for now, plus my friend's cat has never been to the vet and it's a behemoth for domestic.

Also also, I'm in china, I don't think people here really do the 'fixing', there's a gang of cats in my living area and they get it on all the time, if we have too many...well we are in :china:

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 26, 2014

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Hey look at you, you big internet snark.

I asked why people do what they do with their cat and that's cool. I have (currently) decided not to follow suite (I can change my mind though as is my right).

Christ.

Thanks man, I'll keep in mind should I decide. He's not doing any territory stuff yet so we're good for now, plus my friend's cat has never been to the vet and it's a behemoth for domestic.

Also also, I'm in china, I don't think people here really do the 'fixing', there's a gang of cats in my living area and they get it on all the time, if we have too many...well we are in :china:

Maybe you should talk to your cat's vet about this idea.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

DaisyDanger posted:

Maybe you should talk to your cat's vet about this idea.

Maybe, but the lil guy's okay for now and I don't speak Chinese so....yeah.

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir
Have you ever smelled tomcat piss outside of a litter box? My neutered cat once pissed himself out of fear because he was stuck to a grocery bag, and it was like frying my nosehairs with uric acid. It is probably much, much worse with tomcats.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Facepalm Ranger posted:

As long as you have any sort of vet around, you have the option to spay/neuter. As for strays, those will never get touched unless some group is actively trying to do a catch/release setup(you can tell if you ever see a cat with a notched or clipped ear). I know some people "own" pets that they just let run around outside, but you might as well just consider those as strays for all relevant purposes.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Maybe, but the lil guy's okay for now and I don't speak Chinese so....yeah.

FYI neutering after the problem behaviors develop is often too late.

canadiantreefrog
Aug 26, 2006

aghastly posted:

I keep reading that hiding is normal. We brought our new cat Matt home yesterday. He was extremely affectionate in the shelter and we visited with him a bunch of times to get him used to us. I couldn't resist his slightly derpy cutness (he sticks his tongue out when he's happy :3: ). As soon as we opened the cage, he ran under the couch and has pretty much stayed there ever since. We have coaxed him out to eat but then he is right back under the couch. When he came out to eat last night and this morning, he let us pet him and in fact purred the whole time. But I'm still worried that he's going to get too used to living under the couch and isn't going to come out and be the social cat he was at the shelter. Am I expecting too much too soon? This is the first sign of being timid that we have seen.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

canadiantreefrog posted:

Am I expecting too much too soon?

Yes. Just give him time. He'll be fine.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

canadiantreefrog posted:

I keep reading that hiding is normal. We brought our new cat Matt home yesterday. He was extremely affectionate in the shelter and we visited with him a bunch of times to get him used to us. I couldn't resist his slightly derpy cutness (he sticks his tongue out when he's happy :3: ). As soon as we opened the cage, he ran under the couch and has pretty much stayed there ever since. We have coaxed him out to eat but then he is right back under the couch. When he came out to eat last night and this morning, he let us pet him and in fact purred the whole time. But I'm still worried that he's going to get too used to living under the couch and isn't going to come out and be the social cat he was at the shelter. Am I expecting too much too soon? This is the first sign of being timid that we have seen.

Your new cat is unfamiliar with his new territory and is understandably frightened there may be unknown hazards or predators lurking about. You know the house is perfectly safe, but he doesn't, and he's running on survival instincts. What you're seeing is normal behavior for a cat in a new environment.

He'll gradually figure out that there aren't coyotes or raccoons or whatever lurking in your closets, and will start exploring and learning the layout of the place. As long as he knows where the food and litterbox are, he'll be fine. If he's still hiding under the couch in two weeks, there may be an issue, but you have nothing to worry about at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I have a behavioral problem with my cats which I don't know how to deal with. I have two cats, both female, both fixed. I live alone.

One cat is about 3 and a half years old. I will call her Kitty 3.0.

The other is a few months shy of 2 years old. I will call her Kitty 1.7.

I got Kitty 3.0 from a shelter when she was a kitten. She lived with me and my elderly rabbit and was generally calm and laid back. She would groom the rabbit, sometimes they slept together. They both got along really well. I kept her in my bedroom when I was out of my place, in another room from my rabbit but I never saw a single time when they fought. A few months after I got Kitty 3.0, my rabbit died. Kitty 3.0 was left alone at home for about 8ish months after that while I was at work. I know cats are best in pairs, I didn't expect my rabbit to die and I was not ready to get a second one.

Kitty 3.0's favorite place in my house is in my living room where I have my computer and TV. Right next to my computer desk I have a cat tree with two levels on it. She loved to lay on it.

When Kitty 3.0 was about a year and a half old, I got a second cat, also a kitten, who we shall now call Kitty 1.7.

Kitty 1.7 is sort of a dick. She always wanted to play with Kitty 3.0, even though Kitty 3.0 made it clear she didn't want to play. To this day, Kitty 1.7 chases Kitty 3.0 around my home, not constantly but at least once a day. Sometimes Kitty 3.0 plays back, often she wants to be left alone and then hisses and swats at Kitty 1.7 till she leaves her alone. I have never seen it get any worse than a little hissing and swatting which I read online can be normal? They never draw blood. When I leave for work during the week I leave them locked in my bedroom, they seem to be okay.

I often see them sit a few feet away from each other near a window. Sometimes(rarely) they sit together or sleep together. I see Kitty 1.7 try to groom Kitty 3.0 sometimes, Kitty 3.0 does not groom her in turn but seems to tolerate it, she does not seem to like it. Kitty 1.7 has long since displaced Kitty 3.0 from the cat tree next to my computer desk. At night Kitty 1.7 usually sleeps near my feet, Kitty 3.0 usually sleeps on a space next to my pillow or on my back.

This morning I found that Kitty 1.7 had some blood in the corners of one of her eyes. I wiped it and took her to the vet right away fearing it was an infection. The vet said she thought it was probably a scratch on the eyelid and nothing to worry about. The prior evening I saw that she tried to crawl into a tight space under a piece of furniture and figured she scratched herself that way. Now I think that Kitty 3.0 may have scratched her on the face.

Today... today Kitty 3.0 spent pretty much the entire day under my bed, in a corner near my nightstand where she has almost full cover. At first I thought she might be sick, but when my Kitty 1.7 came over, Kitty 3.0 hissed at her over and over. When Kitty 1.7 left, Kitty 3.0 was loveable and affectionate to me like she always is, let me pet her and purred happily.

If I had to try to simplify it, Kitty 1.7 likes Kitty 3.0, who does not return the affection, Kitty 1.7 also plays too much. Both of them are always affectionate to me. Kitty 3.0 seems to hiss whenever 1.7 comes within sight today, Kitty 1.7 is not acting aggressively at all and seems a little freaked out.

This is the first time either of them has ever been hurt. Tomorrow I go back to work, what can I do in the short term to deal with this while I am out of my home and what can I do in the long term to get them to get along better? Separating them while I am at work is not really an option.

Edit: After the two were apart all day, I finally picked up Kitty 3.0, carried her to my computer and petted her for a bit. She climbed into one of her favorite spots on the floor next to my tower. She hissed at Kitty 1.7 and made rumbling noises, eventually Kitty 1.7 moved away and climbed onto the cat tree, well less than five feet of space is between the two of them. Kitty 1.7 is perfectly calm, laid down and went to sleep. Kitty 3.0 has stopped hissing but keeps giving concerned looks at Kitty 1.7 as I continue to pet her to try to keep her calm.

More advice on what to do would still be appreciated.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 27, 2014