Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Most things are more tolerable than a forced mulligan every game.

I don't remember who it was but someone said of the recent PT "Whoever didn't mulligan won every game." Block and upcoming Standard look pretty harsh on mulligans and seem sort of predicated on incremental value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm curious to see if there'll be any more strong discard in the near future to make using Waste Not a stronger proposition in standard rather than just a lovely gimmick.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Gynovore posted:

A really dedicated sleazy vendor would crack the cases, box map, an re-shrinkwrap them. Of course, people would soon be flooding the message boards with "I bought 8 cases from Joe's Card Shack and only got 2 mythics, WTF?"

Or you could go even bigger and map enough boxes to refill a box with packs of the same rare. "Huh, I bought a box and cracked eighteen Trait Doctorings. What are the odds?"

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 27, 2014

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Most things are more tolerable than a forced mulligan every game.

Whenever I'm playing modern against someone who is playing black, its a turn one Inquisition or Thoughseize. Really sucks, but you just start building decks around that.

I'd rather hope for a new enchantment/artifact that is 2 or something that says "Whenever you discard a card, you may draw a card." which would rule and I would love it forever.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

Whenever I'm playing modern against someone who is playing black, its a turn one Inquisition or Thoughseize. Really sucks, but you just start building decks around that.
Exactly. One of the key things that sets Magic apart from the other CCGs is that in things like Yu-Gi-OH! you're just trying to windmill slam bombs faster/harder than the other guy, where in Magic disruption is a vital component to keep the game from being "I drew more Thragtusks than you, I win." Having to play around/plan enough redundancy to survive a little control is what keeps us from living in a world where those wacky 9-land Blistercoil Weird combos reign supreme because no one has any sort of disruption.

Land Destruction was the first casualty. The Ownage wars had begun...

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Everblight posted:

Exactly. One of the key things that sets Magic apart from the other CCGs is that in things like Yu-Gi-OH! you're just trying to windmill slam bombs faster/harder than the other guy, where in Magic disruption is a vital component to keep the game from being "I drew more Thragtusks than you, I win." Having to play around/plan enough redundancy to survive a little control is what keeps us from living in a world where those wacky 9-land Blistercoil Weird combos reign supreme because no one has any sort of disruption.

Exactly. One time I made a white deck with barely any removal in it and just got cowed by some guy running a mill deck with a 26 toughness Tree of Redemption.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is honestly more often than not what standard has been for the last 5-6 years, so the trend suggests you'll see it happen again and again, just with a new face each time.
This is why I don't like standard much with thoughtseize in it and similarly, modern. Legacy has brainstorm which allows you to save cards for later and is at least a great equalizer. Without it, it's really dumb. Thankfully DRS was banned so at least there aren't as many jund decks anymore.

In recent years the only things I can assume would be similar were turn 1 delvers or pithing needles or birds of paradise (into turn 2 birthing pod). At least with those, you can have answers that aren't removed from your hand the way thoughtseize does it.

However,

quote:

this is also true. I do love my ANT in legacy but at least it is more fair with brainstorm in the format.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 27, 2014

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

change my name posted:

Exactly. One time I made a white deck with barely any removal in it and just got cowed by some guy running a mill deck with a 26 toughness Tree of Redemption.

Please tell me he was using Phenax.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

GoutPatrol posted:

I'd rather hope for a new enchantment/artifact that is 2 or something that says "Whenever you discard a card, you may draw a card." which would rule and I would love it forever.
That wouldn't be played to frustrate Thoughtseize, it would be played to break cards like Izzet Charm, Wild Guess, Prognostic Sphinx and Bloodrush dudes in half.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Everblight posted:

There was a time in Yugioh where decks ran Don Zaloog and a bunch of hand disruption like Confiscation, The Forceful Sentry, Delinquent Duo and then winning with Yata-Garasu to prevent you from drawing. All of those cards are currently banned in that game.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

vOv posted:

Please tell me he was using Phenax.

This was actually before Nyx dropped, I ended up losing first in our 6-way game because he focused on me and had something to redirect all attacking creatures to his stupid tree.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Entropic posted:

That wouldn't be played to frustrate Thoughtseize, it would be played to break cards like Izzet Charm, Wild Guess, Prognostic Sphinx and Bloodrush dudes in half.

"Whenever a spell or ability an opponent controls causes you to discard a card, draw a card."

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

GoutPatrol posted:

The difference is that in an older format decks are powerful enough to deal with it. You can punish your opponent severely for taking 4 or 5 damage on the first turn, because in Modern there is an added cost to running 4 Thoughtseize: You hemorrhage life through lands, and that needs to be taken into account (what deck in Modern runs 4 Thoughtseize main?). Inquisition is a conditional spell, and as such, there's a cost to running them in that it might be useless, especially drawn late in the game. Thoughtseize is ALWAYS USEFUL as long as you're at 3+ life and your opponent has a card in his hand.

In Standard, there is virtually zero downside to running Thoughtseize if you play black. There IS no downside if you're MONO black (it's harmful if you're, say, forcing Jund and running 12 shocklands), which also happens to have ridiculous lifegain right now. It's pretty hosed up that a SIDE EFFECT of one of the primary win conditions of the deck automatically counteracts the supposed down-side of losing life to play Thoughtseize. You don't even need to build the deck to mitigate the damage, it's done for you.

It's not like Duress where the meta dictates its effectiveness and can react to its prevalence, it is always going to be devastating and there is no way to play around it other than "don't ever mulligan because you will lose".

I'm all for disruption, but I'm also for cards that don't just play themselves and don't make it impossible to play the game if your opening 7 isn't perfect.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
If my local meta is any indication (:haw:), decks like 8-Rack are the only thing keeping UR Storm from dominating every tournament. :argh:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

vOv posted:

"Whenever a spell or ability an opponent controls causes you to discard a card, draw a card."

Nobody would play this. By the time that you can play this card, they've already t1 thoughtseized you. It also doesn't do a whole lot. You'd still frown to a thoughtseize, even if you did have one of these out.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
They just need a Dodecapod variant that forces your opponent to choose it from your hand when you're forced to discard. Or just ban Thoughtseize because it's a dumb card that shouldn't have been printed.

Sep 13, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

Nobody would play this. By the time that you can play this card, they've already t1 thoughtseized you. It also doesn't do a whole lot. You'd still frown to a thoughtseize, even if you did have one of these out.

"If your opponent would force you to discard a card you may instead discard this card from your hand to counter that spell. Draw a card."

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

vOv posted:

This card has existed for 15 years and I'm not sure it's ever been played competitively.

Starving Autist fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 27, 2014

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Oraculum Animi posted:

"If your opponent would force you to discard a card you may instead discard this card from your hand to counter that spell. Draw a card."

Nah, by the time the spell is resolving it's too late. "If a spell or ability an opponent controls causes you to discard a card, you may discard ~ instead. If you do, draw a card."

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

vOv posted:

Nah, by the time the spell is resolving it's too late. "If a spell or ability an opponent controls causes you to discard a card, you may discard ~ instead. If you do, draw a card."

I like this concept. Make it something like a creature ability that works in your hand (like Ninjutsu or Bloodrush). It's not direct hate for Thoughtseize, but it does allow a creature deck to build in some protection if it's running rampant.

Also effective.
\/ \/ \/

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 27, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Bring back Madness!

E: Specifically, stuff with madness 0.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

White at least has that little Ivory Mask guy. Forcing an enemy to use removal on a 2/1 before they can Thoughtseize might let you get Brimaz out a little more often if they don't just run it out t1 and you're not on the draw! :unsmith:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

This card has existed for l5 years and I'm not sure it's ever been played competitively.

Dat art. :shepface:
"Have at you, werebeast! Your eye-ink is no match for my magical forehead!"

But that card is pretty cool, and aggressively costed. The way they're trying to push discard lately, I could see it fitting in somewhere in this coming standard.

Sep 13, 2007

vOv posted:

I was trying to make it so it wasn't a dead card if your opponent didn't have any hand hate. So you could hard cast it for, like, one mana and draw a card.

"If a spell or ability an opponent controls causes you to discard a card, you may discard ~ instead. Draw a card." Does that still work?

do u believe in marigolds fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 27, 2014

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Gynovore posted:

A really dedicated sleazy vendor would crack the cases, box map, an re-shrinkwrap them. Of course, people would soon be flooding the message boards with "I bought 8 cases from Joe's Card Shack and only got 2 mythics, WTF?"
I thought this is why they have WotC branded shrink wrap.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

odiv posted:

I thought this is why they have WotC branded shrink wrap.

This is exactly why they have WotC branded shrink wrap.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think a more likely "discard hoser" would be another take on the Smiter/Baloth trigger. Say, a creature with "Reveal $CARDNAME$ from your hand: Whenever a spell or ability an opponent controls causes you to discard a card this turn, draw a card."

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Dat art. :shepface:
"Have at you, werebeast! Your eye-ink is no match for my magical forehead!"

But that card is pretty cool, and aggressively costed. The way they're trying to push discard lately, I could see it fitting in somewhere in this coming standard.

That card is awful.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Entropic posted:

I think a more likely "discard hoser" would be another take on the Smiter/Baloth trigger. Say, a creature with "Reveal $CARDNAME$ from your hand: Whenever a spell or ability an opponent controls causes you to discard a card this turn, draw a card."

Dictate of "We're Sorry About Thoughtseize"

0 mana
Enchantment
Flash
Spells or abilities an opponent controls cannot cause you to discard cards.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
It costs two mana, that'll really help against Thoughtseize and Duress.

Yeah Yeah, I realize not all discard shows up turn one but still.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Devor posted:

Dictate of "We're Sorry About Thoughtseize"

0 mana
Enchantment
Flash
Spells or abilities an opponent controls cannot cause you to discard cards.

They made this card already, it's called Leyline of Sanctity.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
Red Deck Wins question:

I'm doing a mono-red RDW, and I was wondering if going Legion Loyalist over Mindsparker or Chandra's Phoenix would be a good idea? Or if Legion Loyalist is worth maindecking or even sidedecking?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

homerlaw posted:

Red Deck Wins question:

I'm doing a mono-red RDW, and I was wondering if going Legion Loyalist over Mindsparker or Chandra's Phoenix would be a good idea? Or if Legion Loyalist is worth maindecking or even sidedecking?
It looks like only 22% of the most successful MTGO RDW lists run Legion Loyalist, making it the least-common creature:
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/10707

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't actually play competitive constructed anymore, but a 1 mana 1/1 generally has to be very good to be actually worth playing in anything.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Boco_T posted:

It looks like only 22% of the most successful MTGO RDW lists run Legion Loyalist, making it the least-common creature:
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/10707

What would you recommend swapping it out for then, Gore-House Chainwalker, Foundry Street Denizen, ????

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
In an aggro deck you want your one drop to get in for at least 2 damage per turn. If you can even turn on his Batallion, your creatures are small enough that the trample doesn't matter so much and the first strike is borderline, and the tokens clause will usually be irrelevant. You'd probably rather be playing Rakdos Cackler or Foundry Street Denizen simply because they can more reliably get 2-4 damage in quickly.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I don't even see Firedrinker Satyr in your list, that's a must 4-of in RDW because it's great.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Loyalist might be a good SB option if you see a lot of Master of Waves tokens, but I can't say for certain.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

This card has existed for 15 years and I'm not sure it's ever been played competitively.

Someone was actually boarding it in legacy a few weeks ago, I forget what kind of list though. They made a big deal of it when they went to SB though, I remember they put it on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Man, I wish instead of cards like Duress and Thoughtseize, they printed cards where you name the card to discard before they reveal their hand, like Cabal Therapy and Brain Pry.

"Do you have a Jace, the Mind Sculptor?" "Nope, go fish!"

• Locked thread