Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That's an interesting sound they chose for when he tosses the mask away. Like the ring needed to match John's dramatic tone so it started to burn the mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Not a very colorblind writer, I see.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Rhyno posted:

Everyone knows Guy is the best Lantern.

We're talking Green Lanterns though. Lemmystaches need not apply.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Let's it ALL hang out

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

Not a very colorblind writer, I see.

I don't know what issue that was, but I assume it was O'Neil, seeing as he was pretty much sole writer from 1968 through to about 1980 or so.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Metal Loaf posted:

I don't know what issue that was, but I assume it was O'Neil, seeing as he was pretty much sole writer from 1968 through to about 1980 or so.

Yep. Green Lantern Vol 2 87

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So, that was like five years before Tyroc's first appearance.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

Funny way to spell Kyle.

Funny way for me to stab you in the throat.

You know I'll do it. You remember the last time.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Rhyno posted:

Funny way for me to stab you in the throat.

You know I'll do it. You remember the last time.
This time I'll be ready for your base Kyle-hating treachery.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

This time I'll be ready for your base Kyle-hating treachery.

Your left arm's been useless since Nepal in '86! You've got no chance this time!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

ImpAtom posted:

From now on whenever anyone tells me Hal Jordan is the best Green Lantern I am going to think of this page.

Justice League of America V1 #110

It's interesting. Sure, 'we' rib on him for being a 'bad' Lantern, but it does make him properly human. Like that one earlier, where he had such a bad raw imagination that it took him far too long to get out of somewhere. And he calls himself on it.

I dunno. I ain't someone who will say someone's the best or worst. I like Kyle. I like John. I ain't entirely familiar with Guy-as-Lantern, but the little I've gotten was memorable.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Drunk and proud.

Astonishing X-Men #10.

Um, source?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lobok posted:

That's an interesting sound they chose for when he tosses the mask away. Like the ring needed to match John's dramatic tone so it started to burn the mask.

It looks like Hal is blasting the mask for him.

Incidentally these two pictures posted are literally 10,000 times more dramatic and exciting then anything John Stewart did on the Justice League cartoon*.

*= Apart from that one episode where they de-aged him and made him into Kyle Rayner.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

John was a lot more dynamic before he caused a planet to blow up and got consumed by guilt

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Opopanax posted:

John was a lot more dynamic before he caused a planet to blow up and got consumed by guilt

Didn't he used to not be a marine? I think him being an architect is way more interesting than just another military dude who has to make the hard choices.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think his marine background was retconned in after the cartoon became popular.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Couldn't they have just split the difference and made him Army Corp of Engineers?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

I think his marine background was retconned in after the cartoon became popular.

IIRC, the military Jon Stewart was in that period where Paul Dini was off doing other things so Bruce Timm tried to run the DC Animated universe into the ground for one year. I hope that when Dwayne McDuffie joined the writing staff that he gave them an earful.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Please explain the scenario where Dwayne gets mad about John Stewart being a soldier in the animated thread. Like being a marine instead of a loving architect is some huge insult to the character. Maybe with all the racism in US military history, having a black marine that's also a space cop is pretty loving cool. Dude that designs buildings is nice if you're already familiar with the Green Lantern concept, or using the rings for more than beams and bubbles.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Die Laughing posted:

Please explain the scenario where Dwayne gets mad about John Stewart being a soldier in the animated thread. Like being a marine instead of a loving architect is some huge insult to the character. Maybe with all the racism in US military history, having a black marine that's also a space cop is pretty loving cool. Dude that designs buildings is nice if you're already familiar with the Green Lantern concept, or using the rings for more than beams and bubbles.

I think the criticism is that's it's a trope in comics to make black heroes have a background as military or police as a shortcut way of showing they're "one of the good guys". It's much more of a cookie cutter background than being an architect.

Dacap fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 27, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I remember that letter that thanked DC for John Stewart, a black hero who was neither a soldier or a criminal. Whoops.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's nothing short of a miracle that John didn't develop electrical powers at some point.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Rhyno posted:

It's nothing short of a miracle that John didn't develop electrical powers at some point.

You know what this character really needs to appeal to kids these days? A skateboard.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
At least they didn't make a character who's power is to run fast black, right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

You're a bad person.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
What is the deal with black heroes and electric powers?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been a black guy whose power is cold/ice manipulation just so that they can call him The (insert threatening adjective here) Black Ice.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
This is comic books, "black" is already a threatening adjective.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

AnonSpore posted:

I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been a black guy whose power is cold/ice manipulation just so that they can call him The (insert threatening adjective here) Black Ice.

My idea has always been a character who calls himself Black Ice because he has invisibility powers, and he's constantly mistaken for being black and/or having ice powers.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

You're a bad person.

No idea what you mean. :shrug:

Senor Candle posted:

What is the deal with black heroes and electric powers?

Volt in Irredeemable has a minor rant about this but I can't find the page.

AnonSpore posted:

Black Ice perseveres.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Black Ice is a name reserved for a heroic counter-hacker, sorry

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

WickedHate posted:

If DC did that back in the 1970's it would be just as tone deaf as you're thinking. With sixty years of interchangeable Flashes (okay, not really but, you know), a different race for the new one is a nice change.

Of course, DC is now tone deaf in completely different ways... He's not Ethiopian, right? :ohdear:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Supreme Power also turned the speedster black.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Are we still allowed to post funny pictures?

Wolverine and the X-Men #42

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Say Nothing posted:

Are we still allowed to post funny pictures?

I hope so!

Man, gently caress Gary.

Rat Queens #6

Barristicide
Sep 2, 2012
Funny and topical!

Sleeper Volume 2, Issue 12.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Minoriteam has one.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

John Stewart meets Alan Scott's old golden-age sidekick. Maybe not super hilarious, but funny in a "slipped one past the Comics Code" way.

Green Lantern #19 (1991 edition)

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

If only the This Character in Panels thread was still around. Spider-Man summed up.

Deadpool Annual #2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Moon Knight #6

• Locked thread