Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
Yeah, I can sort of see where the critics of the higher prices for the first four rows at KOT are coming from-- a lot of them are already going to be spending a lot on transportation/hotels for the weekend, so having to pay more money for seats can be a dent to the wallet-- but at the same time, KOT is always going to be Chikara's biggest weekend of the year, with all the talent they tend to bring in for it, and that gets expensive. So if Chikara is charging more for their most important weekend of the year to try to offset those costs, I don't see a problem with it.

The people whining about it will just end up getting general admission seats, while the "too pricey" first four rows will sell out anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Transportation's one thing, but the hotels aren't so bad if you're sharing. I mean, it's Easton. Who the hell goes to Easton? It's not like New York Comic Con where getting a hotel is a hassle.

It just hit me that there's probably a great chance of Bad Influence being at KOT. Curry Man took part one year and in '12 they showed up for the Fan Conclave because they were doing a nearby TNA house show.

I'm just hoping they do a handful of qualifying matches leading up to it. Between the Chikara roster and the Flood, they practically have enough trios to fill up the brackets already, so I'd like to see that thinned down just a little.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I did GA for Night 1 and 2, but sprung for the $75 Front Row seat for night 3. I just hope I can nab a bleacher seat for night 1 and 2.

Hopefully, the added expense means CHIKARA brings in some Japan dudes and joshi. I really don't need/want ex-WWF guys (maybe Bagwell) so I hope its more bigger name indy guys.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
I'd be surprised if they don't bring in Tadasuke at some point given his history with the promotion and the fact he's living in the US now, training with Funaki to try and get into the WWE.

Jason Funk
Dec 23, 2007

by XyloJW
That, uhm.. Not a space monster? From last summer is back and implying he's the guy from the other night :rolleyes:

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Jason Funk posted:

That, uhm.. Not a space monster? From last summer is back and implying he's the guy from the other night :rolleyes:

He's a troll. :rolleyes:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I wish Kingston had been champion at least 1,000 days. They were so close already, but just the idea of someone claiming they were champion over 1,000 days when the company was closed for 500 of them is hilarious to me.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Suben posted:

I'd be surprised if they don't bring in Tadasuke at some point given his history with the promotion and the fact he's living in the US now, training with Funaki to try and get into the WWE.

I was told at the Inspire Pro show last night that Tadasuke was heading back to Japan after his match wit Jojo Bravo. DID WRESTLING LIE TO ME? AGAIN?!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just realized that AIW is booking Grado September 5th-7th and therefore there's a chance he could be at KOT

Oh my goodness

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

EugeneJ posted:

I just realized that AIW is booking Grado September 5th-7th and therefore there's a chance he could be at KOT

Oh my goodness

John Thorne says GRADO will be home by then.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rovert posted:

John Thorne says GRADO will be home by then.

:(

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Flameingblack posted:

I wish Kingston had been champion at least 1,000 days. They were so close already, but just the idea of someone claiming they were champion over 1,000 days when the company was closed for 500 of them is hilarious to me.

He did claim that the belt was meaningless before he held it, which is just as delusional/hilarious.

Is there any idea on who the Titan of Titor guy really is? Not in terms of kayfabe, but who's playing him? He feels a little too big and in shape for Chikara to be his first stop.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Gavok posted:

Is there any idea on who the Titan of Titor guy really is? Not in terms of kayfabe, but who's playing him? He feels a little too big and in shape for Chikara to be his first stop.

Is there still a third man in the DevCorp? If not that would be my guess.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Is there still a third man in the DevCorp? If not that would be my guess.

Flex Rumble Crunch was out when the Titan dude came out.

No idea who he is.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

thelazyblank posted:

Why not both?

That being said, part of the problem with the indies is the lack of funds. If this is the sign that there's going to be a premium cost for premium stuff (front row, planned meets, etc), I certainly hope it's going into CHIKARA becoming bigger, better, long-lasting, etc. Given how loyal people seem to be to the product, I certainly would hope this isn't just squeezing marks to light Quack's cigars with 20 dollar bills or whatever.

I completely agree! I remember listening to an interview a few months ago with Quack where he mentioned that all of the wrestlers work hard but don't earn a living wage and while he positioned it as whole "we do this as a labor of love", I also felt kind of sad. I totally don't mind paying premiums for premium things (front row seats, pre-show hangouts), and if this is price correction to something closer to what we should have been paying, then good. MY only gripe is the completely selfish one that these tickets going on sale right now mean that while I am broke and with no immediate prospects for work I can't even snap up GA for the event in Septmber.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Just watched show, Tursas's return was a welcome surprise.

It certainly felt like Chikara and the show exhibited the same strengths and weaknesses the company had before its hiatus. Some fun multiman stuff and comedy but they still struggle to put on good serious singles matches (and I like Eddie Kingston). On the plus side, they explained the storyline I couldn't give a drat about following when they were inactive and that was the loudest crowd I've ever seen at a Chikara show.

It's kinda unfair to expect them to be on the same level, but with DG putting on some fantastic cards heavy on trios matches and comedy I'm not sure if they've hooked me enough to keep up on their normal shows. Great to see King of Trios is back though and I'm definitely looking forward to it.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Thauros posted:

It's kinda unfair to expect them to be on the same level, but with DG putting on some fantastic cards heavy on trios matches and comedy I'm not sure if they've hooked me enough to keep up on their normal shows. Great to see King of Trios is back though and I'm definitely looking forward to it.

I didn't know how badly I wanted Millenials and Jimmyz in KoT until just now. Dunno if that'd ever happen though.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Gavok posted:

There are a couple of people on the 101 Forums who insist that the Titan is Archie. Because reasons.

Despite the fact that everyone else, including many people who were in attendance, is telling them that the Titan is taller and more built than Archie, they insist it's him.

Whether it's actual Archie or the theoretical "doppelganger" Archie remains unclear, and the Archie-is-the-Titan people say that it could be Archie pumped full of some kind of steroid-drug a la Bane because Dr. Cube's involved and he's supposed to be Titor and Condor's super soldier and :suicide:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if Kobald is done then :(

He's the only wrestler we managed to convince to hang out with us in PSP-tv.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

coconono posted:

if Kobald is done then :(

He's the only wrestler we managed to convince to hang out with us in PSP-tv.
Kobald is a really cool guy, his twitter was always funny too.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
He didn't even get to do one last Demon's Toilet in his final match.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jay 2K Winger posted:

There are a couple of people on the 101 Forums who insist that the Titan is Archie. Because reasons.

Now now. It's just one guy. It's just that he's SO ADAMANT about it that it feels like three people.

Though I did love someone's theory that it's Wink after being kidnapped by Condor (from the end of Ashes) and experimented on by Dr. Cube, transforming him into a man twice his size. That won't be the explanation, but I so wish it was.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Despite the fact that everyone else, including many people who were in attendance, is telling them that the Titan is taller and more built than Archie, they insist it's him.

Whether it's actual Archie or the theoretical "doppelganger" Archie remains unclear, and the Archie-is-the-Titan people say that it could be Archie pumped full of some kind of steroid-drug a la Bane because Dr. Cube's involved and he's supposed to be Titor and Condor's super soldier and :suicide:

I guess an alternate timeline Archie could be the kayfabe explanation, but if that's Robert Evans playing him I'm very, very impressed with their costume department.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Gavok posted:

Now now. It's just one guy. It's just that he's SO ADAMANT about it that it feels like three people.

"No no guys it all makes sense in a wrestling sense! :downs:"

I do think that TitanBanePredatorFloodGuy is a monster created by Titor/Cube, but if so, he clearly terrifies Cosby Cube. At the show, while the chaos was going on in the ring, and while the Titan was facing down Kobald, Cube was cowering toward the back. Actually cowering.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm starting to come around to Chikara again (not least because apparently Delirious is back?) but if I never hear about Titor again it'll be too soon.

e: Mortal Kombat gas mask guy up there can stay, though.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Mortal Kombat gas mask guy up there can stay, though.

Thank you! Everyone I knew seemed to be making Bane comparisons, but the first thing I thought was "Kabal from MK 3!".

Also, while greying out Kobald's picture is a nice touch... the roster page is set up really weird. There are some wretler are are confimred as of the start or made appearances but are left off the roster... for example, Ophidian is there, but no Amasis, but they were selling Amasis shirts, ditto for Los Ice Creams, etc. Kingston is still holding the title. The list is just a bunch of pictures (not even alt text). and where there used to be at least a name, tagline, and finishing move, now it's just a picture that you can't even click on to , oh, say learn more bout who the wrestler is, what they're like or why someone visiting the site should care.

... though poking around a bit at the site, it turns out that the wordpress plugin for the blog doest name the CHIKARA author account "Chikara" or admin, but "robertsagetjr". Cute, but all the same, I'd rather have a current champions page or a roster page that was functional. :\

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

My Lovely Horse posted:

e: Mortal Kombat gas mask guy up there can stay, though.

Yeah credit where credit is due, that dude's loving menacing-looking.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Which wrestler has experience playing a giant, masked super-villain?

It's Kevin Nash!

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Which wrestler has experience playing a giant, masked super-villain?

It's Kevin Nash!

It's Snitsky!

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.
BAH GAWD THATS GOTTA BE KANE.

No JR, it's Bane.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

My sources tell me its Wreckless Youth under mask.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

The first match for the afternoon Chicago show has been announced.

Trios match: The Spectral Envoy vs The Wrecking Crew

The Wrecking Crew consists of five guys (Devastation Corporation, Jaka, Oleg the Usurper), so I'm supposing we'll get some announcement on the Chikara Event Center that tells us which three guys it will be. Or they may pull a switcheroo at the show, like the BDK did.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jay 2K Winger posted:

The first match for the afternoon Chicago show has been announced.

Trios match: The Spectral Envoy vs The Wrecking Crew

The Wrecking Crew consists of five guys (Devastation Corporation, Jaka, Oleg the Usurper), so I'm supposing we'll get some announcement on the Chikara Event Center that tells us which three guys it will be. Or they may pull a switcheroo at the show, like the BDK did.

Coincidentally, Oleg the Usurper is the one member of the Flood most likely to turn face. At least, that's the impression I got from Tag World the other night. They seem to be playing with the idea that Sidney Bakabella no longer has time for him, as opposed to the other four members of the team.

It's weird, since the whole murdering of Dragon Dragon is still fresh, but all the big dudes in Chikara are with the Flood, so you might as well turn Oleg. He has more of a face charisma anyway.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Gavok posted:

Coincidentally, Oleg the Usurper is the one member of the Flood most likely to turn face. At least, that's the impression I got from Tag World the other night. They seem to be playing with the idea that Sidney Bakabella no longer has time for him, as opposed to the other four members of the team.

It's weird, since the whole murdering of Dragon Dragon is still fresh, but all the big dudes in Chikara are with the Flood, so you might as well turn Oleg. He has more of a face charisma anyway.

Chikara's website lists the three Wrecking Crew members as Max Smashmaster, Blaster McMassive, and Oleg the Usurper.

So hey, maybe we'll see more of that teasing of Oleg turning face in Chicago.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

coconono posted:

My sources tell me its Wreckless Youth under mask.

My extremely un-credible hunch says Chris Hero (as he'd fit a BIG REVEAL CHIKARA VILLAIN), but I'm pretty sure that's a legit longshot. There's apparently some real issues between Hero and Quack.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Quack borrowed Hero's trash bag pants and never game them back.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Chikara's website lists the three Wrecking Crew members as Max Smashmaster, Blaster McMassive, and Oleg the Usurper.

So hey, maybe we'll see more of that teasing of Oleg turning face in Chicago.

Yeah, the fact that they could have easily have just gone with all three Devastation Corporation guys shows that they're going out of the way to make Oleg responsible for the loss.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Don't know how many people are interested in the Rudo Resurrection CHIKARA game that's being Kickstarted, but Alex Navarro of Giantbomb has an interview up with a few of the guys behind that project.

It's a neat little interview, gives you an idea of what they have in mind and where it intersects with CHIKARA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
I miss Larry Sweeney, shame about what happened to him. His Young Lions Cup interview captivated the whole backstage when they were shooting it preshow. What a charismatic dude.

However one story involving him and the Iron Sheik still gets used as a common phrase with my friends: "Larry Sveedish, give Sheiky a beer."

• Locked thread