Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

bunnielab posted:

Just caught a nice sized bluegill on a gummy bear. This changes everything. I see texas rigged gummy worms in my future.

:psyboom: This changes everything, indeed. I imagine they have pretty good structural integrity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
Bluegill will bite most anything sugary and bright. I have had success with small marshmallows and skittles. They wise up pretty quick though.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
New page: Have a picture

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
First Barbel on the fly..,

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

I hope spearfishing counts for fishing. This weekend I went spearfishing in some incredible conditions. Ended up with nice dinner for tonight as well as some bait for a shark tagging research program my buddy is apart of. I also went offshore mahi fishing but got skunked minus a nice triple tail I harpooned from the boat on a weedline.

Amazing conditions.

Had to make sure I didnt drift over to the bahamas.

one of the 5-6 large cudas shot that day.

Biggest cuda was a beast. Kept his jaw to make a mount. at almost 6 feet he didnt fit in any coolers we had whole.

Dinner.

Waste not want not.

The triple tail I harpooned while looking for mahi.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

So far, fishing is going very well! Caught a few sheephead and some catfish but nothing really good and edible. I actually gave my Ugly Stik to my mom and bought myself a better rod/reel that the old dude at the fishing store recommended. It was roughly the same price and it is so much nicer! The reel doesn't reverse at all, not even a millimeter.

I did have a question though. I've been trying to catch stuff here in the local marina without much luck. Most of the guys down there fish with rigs that look like this:

Any idea what these are called? I've looked online and at Dick's and didn't see anything like this. A link to some online store would be awesome. Also, any opinions on preserved or man-made bait versus live? I saw some bags of preserved Emerald Shiners that were recommended previously but didn't buy any since I already had bunch of red worms left.

Anyway, he's one of our catfish. The picture makes him look much, much larger than he actually was. Man those things feel weird.

Lava Lamp Goddess fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 27, 2014

Kid Golbez
Sep 13, 2005
These were within 5 miles of the beach... yup clearly red snapper are an endangered species.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Kid Golbez posted:

These were within 5 miles of the beach... yup clearly red snapper are an endangered species.

Better continue to have a 365 day commercial season and a one week rec season. Yep that should fix it!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Athanatos posted:

New page: Have a picture

Nice crappies! Where are you from? We don't get too many white crappies up near me in MN, but I know they are pretty prevalent further south. How big is that white?

Crappie and sunfish make for a killer fish fry.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

DoctaFun posted:

Nice crappies! Where are you from? We don't get too many white crappies up near me in MN, but I know they are pretty prevalent further south. How big is that white?

Crappie and sunfish make for a killer fish fry.

Central Illinois. Pulled those out of Clinton Lake. The smallest one there on the right is JUST 9 inches.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

I did have a question though. I've been trying to catch stuff here in the local marina without much luck. Most of the guys down there fish with rigs that look like this:
Do you mean something like crappie rigs? I use something like that when I'm fishing for yellow perch, although I usually use ones that I made rather than the store-bought ones.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

nmfree posted:

Do you mean something like crappie rigs? I use something like that when I'm fishing for yellow perch, although I usually use ones that I made rather than the store-bought ones.

Yeah, kinda by not really. It almost looks like an aluminum mobile or something. I'll just have to ask one of the nicer looking dudes the next time I go out there. Multiple people have the exact same looking rig so I can't imagine they're homemade. It works nice in the river, what with the weight on the bottom and the metal/plastic lines staying upright.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Yeah, kinda by not really. It almost looks like an aluminum mobile or something. I'll just have to ask one of the nicer looking dudes the next time I go out there. Multiple people have the exact same looking rig so I can't imagine they're homemade. It works nice in the river, what with the weight on the bottom and the metal/plastic lines staying upright.

There are lots of variarions on that for fishing with minnows. Im guessing if you ask the guy you buy minnows from, he will know exactly what they are and sell you one.

Mom and pop bait shops are usually pretty well stocked for what works in the waters near them.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
I have a few weather related questions. I fish for pike in a pretty large lake in south-central Sweden. For almost the whole past week we had a heat wave with high summer temperatures and constant sun (around 25 degrees C daytime, 15-20 degrees C nightime), and mostly western winds. That all ended yesterday, and starting from today and the forecast for this week is cooler temperatures (10-15 C daytime, and 5-10 C nightime), mostly overcast and consistent northern winds (about 5 m/s on average).

Where do i look for pike in these conditions? Is it at all ideal? I will be fishing from land so i will not have boat access.

Usually i fish during nice sunny evenings later in the summer so i'm not really used to fishing during this time of the year.

Can also add that water temperature is probably around 10-15 degrees.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I want to get into surf fishing, but don't know anyone who does it or where to begin. Obviously, get a long rod and cast into the ocean. What else is there to know?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

What the bottom looks like, how the current flows along the shore and what fish are near said shore would probably be the best things.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FogHelmut posted:

I want to get into surf fishing, but don't know anyone who does it or where to begin. Obviously, get a long rod and cast into the ocean. What else is there to know?

Depending on where you are, most fish may be relatively close to shore, like in the surf zone. So the goal is usually not to cast as far as possible.

Barfoid 3
Jun 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There's basically no place to even buy fishing gear in my fail city.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Barfoid 3 posted:

E-bay. Plenty of online vendors from China that does free shipping. My latest purchases were a 9ft 5wt fly rod and case for $50, and two fly reels for $20. Also try to get second hand items off craigslist.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Barfoid 3 posted:

You are almost certainly mistaken. Well I guess it's possible if there are no fishable bodies of water within 50 miles or something, but otherwise you can find gear.

And you also have the Bangkero option.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.

Falukorv posted:

I have a few weather related questions. I fish for pike in a pretty large lake in south-central Sweden. For almost the whole past week we had a heat wave with high summer temperatures and constant sun (around 25 degrees C daytime, 15-20 degrees C nightime), and mostly western winds. That all ended yesterday, and starting from today and the forecast for this week is cooler temperatures (10-15 C daytime, and 5-10 C nightime), mostly overcast and consistent northern winds (about 5 m/s on average).

Where do i look for pike in these conditions? Is it at all ideal? I will be fishing from land so i will not have boat access.

Usually i fish during nice sunny evenings later in the summer so i'm not really used to fishing during this time of the year.

Can also add that water temperature is probably around 10-15 degrees.

I love that this counts as a heat wave in Sweden. That's a cool spring day here.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I found this tip and found it very useful"

quote:

"What is the best way to use squid?"

The majority of people, especially novices, use squid alone for bait.
Squid, by itself, is fair bait. Squid, used in combination with other
baits, it great bait! For flounder, you want to use a live minnow hooked
through the lips with a strip of squid hanging right beside it on the same
hook. You can also use a frozen shiner, hooked through the eyes, with a
strip of squid hanging right beside it on the same hook.

"What should you put on the hook first, the minnow or shiner bait or the
squid?"

Always put on the shiner or minnow first. Then put on the strip of squid,
only hooking the squid once so it wiggles nicely next to the minnow bait.
(Never bunch squid up or hook it twice.) For all those people that complain
that their shiners won't stay on the hook, squid is your answer. If you put
the shiner on the hook through the eyes, and then attach the strip of tough
squid meat on beside it, the squid helps the shiner stay on the hook!

Presentation is very important when fishing. Take your time when putting
the bait on your hook. Don't smash your squid bait on so hard that you rip
your minnow or shiner bait off the hook. Watch as your bait goes down into
the water and see if it looks like a swimming fis

http://www.oysterbaytackle.com/index.php/drifting-easy/70-how-to-use-squid-for-bait.html

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Kilersquirrel posted:

I love that this counts as a heat wave in Sweden. That's a cool spring day here.

It's pretty warm for May, altough you'll get days that reach up to 30 C in June-July every summer, the first summer heat just surprised me by coming early (a couple of degrees short of the May record 29 C). For me 30 C is a heat wave, anything that makes me sweat like shorts and a t-shirt. May not seem much, but keep in mind that Sweden is slightly more northern than Juneau.

Sunny summer days are warm enough for Pikes not to bother to hunt, so as a landfisher you're pretty much restricted to fishing during evenings and early mornings.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 28, 2014

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

I haven't gotten much fishing in lately because of a recent hernia surgery. I did manage to get a line in the river by my buddy's place, and caught a pretty nice smallmouth.

I'm such a terrible fisherman though. I had a 3" white twisty tail grub on a black jig head, just reeling it in slowly letting it bounce along the bottom. I didn't even feel the fish take it. I felt it bouncing off rocks and was bullshitting with my buddy then bam. My line took off up stream, I set the hook, a few jumps later I had a fish in my hand.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

tesilential posted:

Depending on where you are, most fish may be relatively close to shore, like in the surf zone. So the goal is usually not to cast as far as possible.
oh hey there, I need help from surf fishergoons. I'm off camping on Assateague Island (http://goo.gl/maps/KWThS) at the end of the month and wanted to try out surf fishing for any surf fish I can cook up (flatfishes I wanna tryout).

I was hoping to do it on my FW tackle setup - 6.5ft light medium rod, 6 lb test, and a 3-way swivel setup (2oz weight), circle hook (or should I use a regular hook?). Will this work or should I be using a particular setup?

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bangkero posted:

oh hey there, I need help from surf fishergoons. I'm off camping on Assateague Island (http://goo.gl/maps/KWThS) at the end of the month and wanted to try out surf fishing for any surf fish I can cook up (flatfishes I wanna tryout).

I was hoping to do it on my FW tackle setup - 6.5ft light medium rod, 6 lb test, and a 3-way swivel setup (2oz weight), circle hook (or should I use a regular hook?). Will this work or should I be using a particular setup?

That's definitely not an ideal setup, but it will work. Be careful loading the rod to cast that much weight, it's probably rated for less than a 1/2 oz. Take it slow and cast in one long graceful motion. Fish the drag pretty light but tight enough to get the hook to penetrate. Look for a "different" looking area on the beach. Google maps can help you find slightly deeper areas or areas near a creek outflow. Fish the early morning and evening/night, the fish come in closer.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

tesilential posted:

That's definitely not an ideal setup, but it will work. Be careful loading the rod to cast that much weight, it's probably rated for less than a 1/2 oz. Take it slow and cast in one long graceful motion. Fish the drag pretty light but tight enough to get the hook to penetrate. Look for a "different" looking area on the beach. Google maps can help you find slightly deeper areas or areas near a creek outflow. Fish the early morning and evening/night, the fish come in closer.
Thanks kindly for the tips! So it sounds like it's more about location location location and that I'm okay with my setup. But maybe move to a 1/2 oz or 1 oz weight? will those be enough to hold the rig in the surf? It is a pyramid weight.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Bangkero posted:

Thanks kindly for the tips! So it sounds like it's more about location location location and that I'm okay with my setup. But maybe move to a 1/2 oz or 1 oz weight? will those be enough to hold the rig in the surf? It is a pyramid weight.

What do you normally fish, streams/rivers or ocean? I'm a fairly new fishergoon myself, but it seems almost like a freshwater setup. I personally have a 10 foot long surfcasting rod I use with 40lb braid. Depending where I go and how bad the currents are I will go anywhere from 4 oz to 6 oz to get the bait to the bottom.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm going to get this Okuma Tundra Combo. If I end up loving surf fishing so much to buy something nicer, then I'll have two rods, and that will be even better.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

FogHelmut posted:

I'm going to get this Okuma Tundra Combo. If I end up loving surf fishing so much to buy something nicer, then I'll have two rods, and that will be even better.

a cheap rod to get into it isnt bad, and once you decide if you like it or not you can always use the starter rod as a drift rod while you active cast with a better one.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bangkero posted:

I've been looking to get into surf fishing as well and most of what I've read indicates that there are flat "troughs" which run width-wise to the shoreline, which is where you want to find during low tide and then mark and return when high tide is beginning to recede, for optimal results.

If there are surfers, you can find troughs by watching them walk back into shore and seeing where they fall into holes.

You want to try to hit ebb tides because the schools of fish will be scooping up the detritus which is pulled down off the beach.

Edit: I commonly bring trail tape when I hit the beach because of stuff like this, or hidden paths which you can't find to return to your car.. But I've also had a lot of random helpful citizens go and "clean up the trash" that I carefully tied around a rock on top of a boulder.. :argh:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 29, 2014

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

imho something like surf fishing is fine with cheap rods. They dont need to be sensetive and light and allow for accurate casts like a typical bass fishing etc setup. Id say a rule of "get a big rear end cheap rod and ad a big decent spinner" is a good rule of thumb. Even old stuff is probably fine for surf fishing.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FogHelmut posted:

That is a fine rod for bait but you will not enjoy working many lures. Big soft plastics with a paddle tail or spoons would be fine since you can just reel them straight in.

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

imho something like surf fishing is fine with cheap rods. They dont need to be sensetive and light and allow for accurate casts like a typical bass fishing etc setup. Id say a rule of "get a big rear end cheap rod and ad a big decent spinner" is a good rule of thumb. Even old stuff is probably fine for surf fishing.

For bait, yes. For lures you want the same things in a rod you look for in a nice inshore or bass setup. Lightweight, sensitive, moderate fast-fast action and as small a reel as will hold the line you need. The guys fishing for striped bass on the beaches and jetties up north actually spend a lot more than your average nice spinning setup. A St. Croix mojo inshore rod is like $120 but the mojo surf rods are over $300 last I checked. Long range accuracy can also be really important in order to get your bait where the fish are blitzing.

All the same you can catch excellent fish on a junk setup, hell in a lot of places offshore commercial fisherman use hand lines, though I would absolutely not recommend that for fishing on a beach.

--

Yesterday, exactly one week after I received it, my TFO BVK 8wt fly rod broke. :( It snapped right as I arrived on the water while I was gently shaking the line out of the rod to get enough out to begin casting. It is a really clean cut right between the feet on the second guide. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow. Called TFO and they said they'll waive the normal $25 copay on a rod replacement. He also said the clean break indicates the blank probably had a scratch or damage in that spot, typically a defect with the fibers results in a jagged or frayed break. If the replacement breaks under such light use, I am going to sell it (once replaced) on eBay for a minor loss. Really not even a loss because I got Rio Redfish line free with it ($80 value) and I can easily get $200 for the rod ($260 new).

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
All of this surf fishing talk has me wondering: is it possible to surf fish freshwater? I'm assuming freshwater fish behave quite differently and don't come close to the beach, but there are some places on Lake Erie that resemble Long Island or Cape Cod on a windy day.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

stealie72 posted:

All of this surf fishing talk has me wondering: is it possible to surf fish freshwater? I'm assuming freshwater fish behave quite differently and don't come close to the beach, but there are some places on Lake Erie that resemble Long Island or Cape Cod on a windy day.
It's not exactly surf fishing, but I see people shore fishing off of breakwaters and jetties for salmon and trout (and maybe yellow perch, too) on Lake Michigan all the time.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
Thanks for the surf fishing chat. Being from a landlocked province I do not want to drop cash on a surf fishing setup that I will never use. I think my biggest issue is getting sand in my reel, so I'm hoping to try limit that as much as possible. I'll be using bait with the 3-way swivel setup. Cimber - I fish FW lakes, rivers, streams here. :canada:

Now fly fishing chat - I was out on the river on Monday and came across rising trout that were feeding on a mayfly hatch. I tried for a good hour to target these guys - a few takes that were quickly spit out but most of the time the trout wouldn't even give my fly the time of day. I've always read about these situations but actually experiencing the frustration of it was something else - especially at the end when the trout stopped rising. :bang:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I just took my first outing in a kayak and I am all hot and bothered to get one. While I am trolling CL for a deal, I want to buy a life jacket so I am ready. Are the fishing specific ones with all the pockets useful or a gimmick? Does anyone have one that they love?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

bunnielab posted:

I just took my first outing in a kayak and I am all hot and bothered to get one. While I am trolling CL for a deal, I want to buy a life jacket so I am ready. Are the fishing specific ones with all the pockets useful or a gimmick? Does anyone have one that they love?

It's probably not what you meant, but don't buy a life jacket from craigslist, get a new one.

I want a canoe :v:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Does anyone have any experience with Island Beach State Park in NJ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

bunnielab posted:

I can't remember who makes my PFD ill check when I get home. It's pretty sweet it doesn't have a full back so it won't interfere with your seat, has a few pockets and a poo poo, reflective strips. I can't attest to the comfort since I've never worn it on the water but its supposed to be the top angling PFD on the market. I think it's called a chinook or something. Ill check when I get home.

E: I just googled it. It's an NRA chinook.