Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Garak worked because he has endless layers. Just by finding out something about him, more questions tend to be raised. Consider finding out Dukat knows him personally, and they loathe one another. No explanation at first, they just exchange disgusted stares, and this kind of explains why Garak was left behind and can never go home; a highly-ranked military officer in this very militaristic culture just does not like him, and that could be well enough on its own. But that's not all there is to the story, and they sure as poo poo don't feed you all of it in one go, so you get to sit there between appearances wondering just what the gently caress is up with Garak. Is he even really a spy, or just messing with people so no one messes with him?

The brilliant part is that Garak really is all of those things while also being exactly what he appears to be. Plain, simple Garak, now a tailor who was once the gardener at the Cardassian embassy on Romulus.

I was watching Archer the other day and thought of Garak. Sterling did something foolish, such as he does, and Lana gave him poo poo about how being a spy is more about being unobtrusive than shooting everyone you see. This is same complaint somer people (not me) had of the recent Bond films. Garak could teach young Bond and Sterling Archer a thing or ten about being a spy tailor. And both guys would make the most of a sharp suit.

Oh, and I just watched "Threshold." It had been built up (down?) so much that I was kind of anesthetized to it by the time I watched it. Thank you, goons. Although it was still a Tom Paris episode, so it would have been a steaming pile of poo poo with or without the breathtakingly bad understanding of evolution. So, yep.

Onward!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The question is whether Threshold or Genesis has a more embarrassingly stupid idea of how evolution works.

It'd be one thing if it was a vampire show or Here Comes Honey Boo Boo or something, but this is supposed to be sci-fi, jesus christ.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Garak is great because he's the number one example of one of the main things that sets DS9 apart from the rest of Trek - the enormous cast. Beyond the main ensemble that appear in the intro credits, you've got Garak, Rom, Nog, Dukat, Damar, Martok, Kai Winn, Leeta, Morn, etc, who all appear in the vast majority of episodes.

In TNG you might have Barclay make an appearance once a season or so but for the most part it was just the main crew and hapless red shirts.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Data Graham posted:

The question is whether Threshold or Genesis has a more embarrassingly stupid idea of how evolution works.

It'd be one thing if it was a vampire show or Here Comes Honey Boo Boo or something, but this is supposed to be sci-fi, jesus christ.

It is sci-fi. It's fictitious science.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Star Trek would be really really boring, and also very confusing, if they had to adhere to science fact.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I prefer my scifi writers give the sciencey part the old college try before sprinkling in a human story to make it relatable, making it science fiction rather than fiction science.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
The real problem with Threshold is that what is depicted isn't evolution at all, it's a totally bizarre form of mutation and if they'd just said that traveling at warp 10 [i.e. warp infinity] causes poo poo to get weird, it would have been fine. Well, not fine, it would still have been a terrible episode, but, you know.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It's Voyager, dude. The show later has Janeway step into the holodeck and say, like "display a parasaurophalus and extrapolate 65 million years of evolution" and surprise! It spits out the same alien species they've been running into that episode.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's Voyager, dude. The show later has Janeway step into the holodeck and say, like "display a parasaurophalus and extrapolate 65 million years of evolution" and surprise! It spits out the same alien species they've been running into that episode.

I kind of wish that Voyager had become self-aware and just gone all the way with its nonsense. Like if Janeway had said "Fascinating. Now, computer, make a parasaurolophus that is capable of riding a giant skateboard and also serving as a mount for two" and then given it the Doctor's mobile emitter, put her Irish Shire boyfriend on it and ollied into combat against the Borg Queen.

It would have made about as much sense as the rest of Voyager, but at least it would have been more fun.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

armoredgorilla posted:

Please don't troll

I'm not trolling, I just got done watching all the DS9 I skipped over previously and ultimately did not like it half as much as any other Trek, and I'm kinda annoyed at myself for wasting my time.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Data Graham posted:

Whoa now, I'll have you know that I come from a long, proud line of spider people.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Someone's never played Ocarina of Time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

I'm kinda annoyed at myself for wasting my time.

Having, over the past year or so, watched through all of TOS, TAS, TNG, the non JJ movies, DS9, Voyager, and so far one and a half seasons of Enterprise, despite a great many good episodes, this quote should really be the thread title.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Apollodorus posted:

The real problem with Threshold is that what is depicted isn't evolution at all, it's a totally bizarre form of mutation and if they'd just said that traveling at warp 10 [i.e. warp infinity] causes poo poo to get weird, it would have been fine. Well, not fine, it would still have been a terrible episode, but, you know.

Yeaah, I don't really understand how humans, even at Warp 10, could "evolve" into a weird squirmy thing. The human genome doesn't have a pre-set course to follow, starting with single-celled organisms moving right along towards primates, then ugly salamanders, and finally energy beings. Where were the billions of generations under selective pressure that resulted in these "evolved" forms? And what the hell happened to make tool-using humans on spaceships better off as wet lizards laying eggs in a swamp?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's kind of like how anbo-jytusu is the ultimate evolution of martial arts.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

And now you read this in a seally Svedisch accent Jå?

Fister Roboto posted:

It's kind of like how anbo-jytusu is the ultimate evolution of martial arts.

Are you saying that some kung fu master or something managed to throw punch that exceeded warp 10 and thus all martial arts devolved into American Gladiators?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Mr Wikstroem posted:

Are you saying that some kung fu master or something managed to throw punch that exceeded warp 10 and thus all martial arts devolved into American Gladiators?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Someone should piece together "the theory of evolution according to Star Trek" it would be great. Spiders and monkeys and lizards (and Dinosaurs) all evolved into humanoid shapes which will eventually evolve into salamanders. I guess that pretty much sums it up...

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Starships increasingly become mazes of Jefferies tubes and humans adapt to fit this environment, leading to the Hamster-People, which eventually leads to flooding the tubes with water to store the water there instead of in special tanks for water, which causes the Hamster-Men to become Salamanders obviously geez do I have to think of everything

Wishing I had a Dale Gribble instead of a Cotton Hill because that sounds like something Dale would say

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I killed fitty borgs!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dangit, Barclay!

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Threshold makes a lot more sense if you assume "Warp Ten" is the same as the Infinite Improbability Drive from the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I can never take Worf seriously when he fights as he always just slaps dudes with an open hand and he always looks like a giant pussy when he does it. Worf is always going on about how he is an honorable warrior but I can't remember the last time he actually punched a dude instead of getting in slapfights like a wimpy nerd.

Now Captain Kirk, that guy is a fighter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pighpPCNPU

Now if Worf did pro wresting moves and double fisted punches then yeah, we might have actually believed he was a badass.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Gammatron 64 posted:

I can never take Worf seriously when he fights as he always just slaps dudes with an open hand and he always looks like a giant pussy when he does it. Worf is always going on about how he is an honorable warrior but I can't remember the last time he actually punched a dude instead of getting in slapfights like a wimpy nerd.

Now Captain Kirk, that guy is a fighter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pighpPCNPU

Now if Worf did pro wresting moves and double fisted punches then yeah, we might have actually believed he was a badass.

Have you seen DS9? Worf was snapping necks and it owned.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Have you seen DS9? Worf was snapping necks and it owned.

Yeah I love DS9. I just temporarily forgot about Worf snapping Weyoun's neck. Okay, that was awesome.

I was just watching Birthright in Season 6 of TNG and just remarked how lame Worf looks when he slaps people with his palm.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is that part of Anbo Jyutsu? TNG combat seems like it was choreographed by a teenage girl.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Cojawfee posted:

Is that part of Anbo Jyutsu? TNG combat seems like it was choreographed by a teenage girl.

Combat in TV/films has always looked bad because a lot of writers are nerds and have never gotten into real fights.

Real fights are awful huggy messes and after a minute of fighting people usually look near death due to exhaustion if neither person has gotten knocked out yet.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

1st AD posted:

Combat in TV/films has always looked bad because a lot of writers are nerds and have never gotten into real fights.

Real fights are awful huggy messes and after a minute of fighting people usually look near death due to exhaustion if neither person has gotten knocked out yet.

But actually that second thing is what looks bad whereas the choreographed dance fighting that permeates throughout most fiction (and is created by fight choreographers and not writers) makes better viewing.

This is to say nothing about Worf-slaps, which I'm not sure why they do periodically throughout TNG.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

1st AD posted:

Writers don't type out every single move a character in a film does. That's all on the crew.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Yeah, fighting on TV is never realistic, but TNG has like the lamest fight choreography out of any show ever.

Kirk's fighting moves are goofy as gently caress, but at least they're hilarious. People in TNG all look like they're the biggest wimps in the entire universe.

Like Jesus Worf, can't you make a drat fist? Are you afraid you're going to break a nail?

Plus there's the fact that the writers keep making people beat up Worf to show that said character is really tough, but in reality this just makes Worf look like the weakest jobber in history.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, fighting on TV is never realistic, but TNG has like the lamest fight choreography out of any show ever.

Kirk's fighting moves are goofy as gently caress, but at least they're hilarious. People in TNG all look like they're the biggest wimps in the entire universe.

Like Jesus Worf, can't you make a drat fist? Are you afraid you're going to break a nail?

Plus there's the fact that the writers keep making people beat up Worf to show that said character is really tough, but in reality this just makes Worf look like the weakest jobber in history.
Could this have been some artifact of TV censorship or whatever? I recall that on like, Superfriends, you couldn't punch a guy, and TNG was this big fancy prestige show. Grappling and wrestling were apparently always OK though.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Gammatron 64 posted:

riker-kickboxes-with-an-admiral.gif

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You ever actually punch someone in the head? It really hurts.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Nessus posted:

Could this have been some artifact of TV censorship or whatever? I recall that on like, Superfriends, you couldn't punch a guy, and TNG was this big fancy prestige show. Grappling and wrestling were apparently always OK though.

There wasn't exactly censorship back then, but there were parent's groups that would get on your rear end for too much violence. I remember a story where an episode of Brisco County Junior got written up for "over a hundred uses of violence." Of course that particular episode was about a boxing match and they counted each and every punch as a separate act of violence...

So yeah, you had to watch it, because those groups could influence advertisers which in turn could hurt your chances of getting piced up from year to year, especially for a syndicated show like TNG where you were picked up or not by individual stations rather than large networks. Those local stations tended to be more sensitive to boycotts, or the threat of boycotts.

Obviously those kinds of things faded over time. I'd love to see how those '80s-'90s groups would poo poo themselves over Game of Thrones, for instance. Which isn't to say that such groups don't still exist, even in 2014, just that they haven't nearly as much influence as the did 20-30 years ago.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
My guess would be that the producers urged directors and choreographers to try and make fighting look 'futuristic' or 'exotic', while probably not having enough time usually to re-do or even re-shoot if their ideas didn't pan out well.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

~In the future~ civilized people have moved beyond animalistic brawls and punching, they utilize controlled and accurate motions to disable an attacker with the minimum of harm :techno::techno::techno::techno::techno:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sash! posted:

You ever actually punch someone in the head? It really hurts.

Also you could die or at the least suffer brain damage if you get knocked out from a blow to the head but that happens all the time in TV and movies.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Apple Jax posted:

I posted about this project I was working on about a year ago here, but my small studio just launched a kickstarter for it today and I'm gonna shamelessly post it:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/571735034/icarus-proudbottom-starship-captain

If any of you know of Artemis Bridge Simulator, its going to be a bit like that that in a single player experience. Sorta a dialogue driven adventure game and bridge simulator with combat, exploration, puzzle-solving, dialogue trees and all kinda of fun stuff.

ANYWAY, I included this thread's favorite stupid Trek joke at the end of the kickstarter video, so GO FREAKING WATCH IT.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/571735034/icarus-proudbottom-starship-captain

A lil history: The first two "Icarus Proudbottom" games (Curse of the Chocolate Fountain & Teaches Typing) were actually for Something Awful Game Dev competitions!

OldSenileGuy gave me the OK to post this so please no ban I

Take all of my quatloos.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

hailthefish posted:

~In the future~ civilized people have moved beyond animalistic brawls and punching, they utilize controlled and accurate motions to disable an attacker with the minimum of harm :techno::techno::techno::techno::techno:

If you mention Gun Kata I will slug you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I love when this happens, though. A show I was watching last year, the main character had four elemental-themed forms, and Land Style was supposed to be the tankiest of the bunch. So of course, like Worf, you only ever saw Land when they needed to impress just how outrageously powerful the new bad guy was, completely undermining everything :v:

• Locked thread