Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Palpek posted:

Yeah, I mod literally every RPG to have infinite weight if possible. I don't really like managing inventory or even having any sort of lair/chest system you travel to etc. I prefer going nomad and having contents of a small castle carried with me at all times. It just doesn't bring me any joy - I would drop excellent games like Witcher 2, New Vegas or Skyrim if I couldn't mod them into weightless loot.

Almost as good - maybe better - than weightless is dispensing of vendor trash. I get that it ruins immersion a bit but it also reduces an unfun aspect of the game. If it's not useful to the player, then don't bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

There's a Witcher 2 beta for SteamOS, so it should also run on any linux. Also Witcher 2 is 80% off, so if someone wants to check it 4 euro is as low as it'd get anytime soon.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

monster on a stick posted:

Well I just finished one of the Flotsam sidequests - hunting down the monster nests. Also please tell me that I get to shank Dandelion at some point because bards are always annoying.

Dandelion is the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-VQckkjm6g&hd=1

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Dandelion stars in one of the game's funniest side quests so Dandelion is cool by me.

I take it you don't mean the bit in the very beginning where you see him and the Elf Liberation Front guy looking at you as you enter Flotsam?
Nope, much later.

Any must-do sidequests in Flotsam? (For story or overpowered weapons, not just to bang on mooks.)

The haunted insane asylum is a cool mini-story.

You can get the best armor in Act I by doing the troll quest if you do it "right".

Lycus fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 23, 2014

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

I really wasn't given much of a reason to care about Foltest.

I don't think that he was literally referring to Foltest dying as being a hooking point; he was just saying that if you haven't enjoyed the game up to that point, then you're probably not going to enjoy the rest of the game any more.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Eh the beginning of the game is a hard judge, I find it hard to find much that makes the game unique. You don't have access to many abilities yet and it just seems like a typical epic en media res intro. I can't say for sure when it picks up, I think it depends on taste, but I can imagine someone not being super thrilled by the intro.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Lycus posted:

Dandelion stars in one of the game's funniest side quests so Dandelion is cool by me.

Second funniest :colbert:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

alex314 posted:

There's a Witcher 2 beta for SteamOS, so it should also run on any linux.

Note: only works on nvidia cards.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Wow, the lighting effects in this game look terrible. Everything has very shiny bright lights coming off it, with blue tint. How do I turn this off?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Wow, the lighting effects in this game look terrible. Everything has very shiny bright lights coming off it, with blue tint. How do I turn this off?

Make sure to disable Bloom in the configuration tool AKA blinding sun mode

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Anything I should know before going to fight the giant squid-thing in Flotsam? I have the immunity potion made.

Also - I keep getting plans for upgraded versions of the silver sword, and when I go to a blacksmith they say they make it, but then it's not in my inventory. Is there something I am doing wrong?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Anything I should know before going to fight the giant squid-thing in Flotsam? I have the immunity potion made.

Also - I keep getting plans for upgraded versions of the silver sword, and when I go to a blacksmith they say they make it, but then it's not in my inventory. Is there something I am doing wrong?

You had the option to make a special trap if you took the quest and found the right parts during an earlier mission. If you don't have it, it's not the end of the world. Will have to make use of a specific sign. You'll figure it out eventually though.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Is your silver, iron and timber being used up when you thought you've made it?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

havenwaters posted:

You had the option to make a special trap if you took the quest and found the right parts during an earlier mission. If you don't have it, it's not the end of the world. Will have to make use of a specific sign. You'll figure it out eventually though.

Yes, I have the parts - is it going to be obvious where to place the trap?

Lycus posted:

Is your silver, iron and timber being used up when you thought you've made it?

Yes, even the ingredients that came from hunting monsters. :(

EDIT: I think it may have been crafting something else for me instead? I finally got one made.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 24, 2014

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Yes, I have the parts - is it going to be obvious where to place the trap?

There will be a spot on the ground where you can place it, should be a silhouette or highlighted outline of the trap or something. It's been a couple years.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

And you don't have to equip the trap or anything, it just needs to be in your inventory. Just go up to a silhouette and it will tell you what to push to lay it.

If you want some potion advice, in addition to the anti-poison potion you made, drink Swallow and Tawny Owl. Increasing damage, be it sword damage or sign damage, is not useful.

Edit: Oh, in case you haven't done this already, if you're in the mood for a little comedy relief quest, drop by the house where the Blue Stripes are staying before going off to fight the Kayran.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 24, 2014

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Lycus posted:

And you don't have to equip the trap or anything, it just needs to be in your inventory. Just go up to a silhouette and it will tell you what to push to lay it.

If you want some potion advice, in addition to the anti-poison potion you made, drink Swallow and Tawny Owl. Increasing damage, be it sword damage or sign damage, is not useful.

Edit: Oh, in case you haven't done this already, if you're in the mood for a little comedy relief quest, drop by the house where the Blue Stripes are staying before going off to fight the Kayran.

Oh, I did the sidequest... pretty good. The fight wasn't bad but was kind of bullshit.

I'm "at the crossroads" right now, does Chapter 3 change much depending on which path you go with for Chapter 2?

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Oh, I did the sidequest... pretty good. The fight wasn't bad but was kind of bullshit.

I'm "at the crossroads" right now, does Chapter 3 change much depending on which path you go with for Chapter 2?

No, but from what I recall you (as the player) are more in the know as to what is going on in Act 3 if you take Iorveth's path for Act 2. However, you absolutely should play both Act 2 paths.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

-S- posted:

No, but from what I recall you (as the player) are more in the know as to what is going on in Act 3 if you take Iorveth's path for Act 2. However, you absolutely should play both Act 2 paths.

Playing both paths gives you the most insight on what's going on in the plot. I like how it's handled. You're never going to fully know what's happening behind the scenes all the time.

I like Iorveth's path more. Mostly everyone gets what they deserve imo.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

It depends. Each Crossroads path has an Act 3 path that's exclusive to it, and they also share one. The Enhanced Edition also added side quests that are exclusive to the Crossroads paths. The original side quests are the same, the location and the boss battles are the same.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 25, 2014

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Geralt says Dandelion's an adult. Sort of.

Dandelion is one of Geralt's few true friends.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Well, that WW1/Vietnam flashback was :stare: Went on for way too long and the boss was pretty bullshit.

Khazar-khum posted:

I did like the comment in the journal after Geralt confronts him about writing the anti-King treatise.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Khazar-khum posted:

How do you get this? Dandelion seems like a fantasy hipster who gives out the occasional plot coupon, and then throws him under a bus by quoting Geralt in the anti-Hansalt thing.

I hope there is some payoff where I get to smack Roche around for playing Geralt during Chapter 2 and then whining about "my men :qq:" after he put them in danger fuckwit.

Also, I want to say man is the writing in this game bad. I've started skipping past all the long generic backstory dumps where characters say "A of B was in C, when he met D and then they went to E and killed some Fs before the Baron of G found them and :words:" because at this point the only apparent payoff was being able to skip a fight when you went to get the Banner of the First Regiment. Not to mention the really really hamfisted dialogue during the flashback - "the prices in Westhamptershire are better than here" :wtc:

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

How do you get this? Dandelion seems like a fantasy hipster who gives out the occasional plot coupon, and then throws him under a bus by quoting Geralt in the anti-Hansalt thing.

Probably from the first game. Or maybe the books but I haven't read them so I don't know.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I think most of my like of Dandelion comes from Iorveth's Path. I don't particularly remember him much from Roche's Path, honestly. Iorveth's Path had his enthusiastic love of the rebellion and Geralt and Dandelion's Sexy Adventure.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 26, 2014

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Dandelion helps Geralt immeasurably in the books, and is one of few of Geralt's friends who doesn't die horribly, and the very first one to sign up on team "lets go save Ciri."

He is responsible for most of Geralt's fame as well. Which often motivates people to help him, gets him work contracts, and make women want to bone him. He helps Geralt with info from his work as a spy. He is pretty well responsible for Geralt's giant bank account in Toussaint. He also introduces Geralt to(or otherwise helps him to meet) a ton of important contacts: Shani, Fringilla, ect.

Basically without Dandelion Geralt would have failed hard and gotten killed; and also Nilfgaard would have won and conquered the north(although technically they got exactly what they wanted from the war anyways despite 'losing.')

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

Dandelion helps Geralt immeasurably in the books, and is one of few of Geralt's friends who doesn't die horribly, and the very first one to sign up on team "lets go save Ciri."

He is responsible for most of Geralt's fame as well. Which often motivates people to help him, gets him work contracts, and make women want to bone him. He helps Geralt with info from his work as a spy. He is pretty well responsible for Geralt's giant bank account in Toussaint. He also introduces Geralt to(or otherwise helps him to meet) a ton of important contacts: Shani, Fringilla, ect.

Basically without Dandelion Geralt would have failed hard and gotten killed; and also Nilfgaard would have won and conquered the north(although technically they got exactly what they wanted from the war anyways despite 'losing.')

None of that is in the game though, so as far as a player who isn't familiar with the source material (which I would wager would be 99% of everyone playing the game) "who is Dandelion and why does he think he is my friend?" Show, don't tell.

Anyway game is over. Thank you walkthrough for directing me to the overpowered "kill gargoyle/dragon" sword.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I still think it's partially a Roche's Path issue. I didn't read the books or play the first game either before playing, but I liked him on Iorveth's Path because you actually do something funny with him.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

None of that is in the game though, so as far as a player who isn't familiar with the source material (which I would wager would be 99% of everyone playing the game) "who is Dandelion and why does he think he is my friend?" Show, don't tell.

Anyway game is over. Thank you walkthrough for directing me to the overpowered "kill gargoyle/dragon" sword.

But the info IS in the game, under the character information section in the journal.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I like Dandelion a lot and I didn't play the Iorveth path. Then again, I played the first game as well.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Lycus posted:

I still think it's partially a Roche's Path issue. I didn't read the books or play the first game either before playing, but I liked him on Iorveth's Path because you actually do something funny with him.

"loving idiot actually went in!" :allears: OK, the Iorveth path feels completely different. Between this, the bickering troll couple, and dwarf hilarity, I've had a few good laughs tonight.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I really think this game just wasn't your kinda thing from the sound of it, Monster on a Stick.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Dandelion is a acquired taste. The books & Witcher 1 game make him enjoyable. In Witcher 2 Dandelion doesn't have the buildup the earlier game & books gave him.
The Witcher 1 had Dandelion actively helping out Geralt. Dandelion also showed Geralt the non-horrible dice game in witcher 1, and was the key to a chapter 3 mission that involved two undead spirits.

http://imgur.com/QB0GJ6T

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Even without the books and the first game I still think The Witcher 2 does a good job at implying that Geralt and Dandelion are friends in their dialogue, not to mention Dandelion recounts all that happens via the journals which should kind of clue you in. All the conversations in the tavern in Flotsam did a good job implying the connections between the people in the group without utilizing clunky exposition (not that CD Projekt is above that, or Sapkowski for that matter).

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Hey guys! On June 5th at 6pm GMT (that's 1pm eastern) GOG/CDPR is doing their annual summer conference. New Witcher 3 gameplay and pre-ordering info, plus whatever new stuff they're sharing about GOG. http://t.co/t6CoZJQe5w

Also, this imagine is sweet:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

tuluk posted:

Dandelion is a acquired taste. The books & Witcher 1 game make him enjoyable. In Witcher 2 Dandelion doesn't have the buildup the earlier game & books gave him.
The Witcher 1 had Dandelion actively helping out Geralt. Dandelion also showed Geralt the non-horrible dice game in witcher 1, and was the key to a chapter 3 mission that involved two undead spirits.

http://imgur.com/QB0GJ6T

That chapter 3 mission was up there with chapter 1's Not The Crucible for my favorite parts of the first game. I liked wandering around as the fantasy version of the man with no name, and it was lighter on the clunky combat than most of the rest of it. I kind of want to replay TW1 but that part in chapter 2 (?) I think about the hospital and the autopsy is kind of putting me off (it was a big factor in going true neutral/Witcher path wasn't it?). It's tedious as hell. Replaying TW2 would be cool too if I remember where I backed my saves up to and figure out a way to clear out the steam cloud so I can actually save to it again. Though I guess I could just not do the neutral path again and actually do Iorveth's in the second game if I can work out the save issues.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I kind of want to replay TW1 but that part in chapter 2 (?) I think about the hospital and the autopsy is kind of putting me off (it was a big factor in going true neutral/Witcher path wasn't it?).
Nah, the choices relevant to that were in Chapter 3 (help the Scoiatael or help Siegfried during the bank robbery) and Chapter 4 (help the group you sided with in Chapter 3 or stay neutral during the Scoiatael/Order stand-off in the village).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lycus posted:

Nah, the choices relevant to that were in Chapter 3 (help the Scoiatael or help Siegfried during the bank robbery) and Chapter 4 (help the group you sided with in Chapter 3 or stay neutral during the Scoiatael/Order stand-off in the village).

Oh right it was for if you wanted to go for the medic instead of Triss. Well that ended up not mattering at all in 2 so I can safely ignore it and get on with the game if I replay it later, thanks.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh right it was for if you wanted to go for the medic instead of Triss.
That one had to do with who let take care of Alvin. :) I don't remember the autopsy really affecting anything. It might lead you to suspect the wrong person of the murder, but everything after that unfolds the same I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Lycus posted:

That one had to do with who let take care of Alvin. :) I don't remember the autopsy really affecting anything. It might lead you to suspect the wrong person of the murder, but everything after that unfolds the same I think.

It affects the boss fight in the swamp, don't remember how exactly, but not the story.

• Locked thread