Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Regy Rusty posted:

I thought people might have been exaggerating but this guy in the wheelchair seriously can't go more than 2 sentences without saying the word "dark".

I don't mind the Dark thing because Felkin sorta confirms in his conversations that once you get a hit of that sweet Dark for the first time that it becomes an all-consuming obsession. Hell, the Dark brought about the collapse of New Londo in the same way with the Darkwraiths.

I think both of them incessantly yammering about the Dark is a good way of driving their obsession with it home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I think the dialog in general is a bit weak, and he's just one of the more obvious ones.

It doesn't even really feel like dialog in a strict sense; it's more like where a TV presenter is trying to fake being able to see the audience. "Hello, I didn't see you come in. Let me tell you about the Dark...". Your voiceless character is just wandering around hoping that the crazy rambling people talk about something you're interested in when you're walking by.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Darklurker is not what I would've expected from the name. I was picturing something like a giant version of those things in No-Man's Wharf for some reason. (I guess because they're called Darkstalkers)

He also killed me in like 2 seconds. But at least the last Chasm seems to be the easiest one. I had the most trouble with the first one with stupid Havel the Rock in a confined space.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Decided to try a bow character again, thanks to Entirely Legit Strategies That Are Definitely Not Glitches At All, I now have a hunter's blackbow at soul memory 53k. :shepface:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think the dialog in general is a bit weak, and he's just one of the more obvious ones.

It doesn't even really feel like dialog in a strict sense; it's more like where a TV presenter is trying to fake being able to see the audience. "Hello, I didn't see you come in. Let me tell you about the Dark...". Your voiceless character is just wandering around hoping that the crazy rambling people talk about something you're interested in when you're walking by.

The Herald and the two hex people are pretty weak but the rest of the NPC dialog is usually fine. Benhart could stand to gently caress off about his sword though.

Zero Initiative
Nov 6, 2013
Notice how players hate hex users? Dark magic is even abhorrent on a meta level.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

The Herald and the two hex people are pretty weak but the rest of the NPC dialog is usually fine. Benhart could stand to gently caress off about his sword though.

It's just a function of having a player character without no lines or dialog options. It's a valid design choice that leads to a slightly unnatural outcome.

The Herald having dialog before the level up options was just an outright bad idea though.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's just a function of having a player character without no lines or dialog options. It's a valid design choice that leads to a slightly unnatural outcome.

The Herald having dialog before the level up options was just an outright bad idea though.

I dunno, I think "Bearer seek seek lest" is pretty poignant.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I kinda wish they'd had the characters hanging around Majula get new lines as the game goes on. It'd be neat to see more of them actually comment on the things you're doing if they're all gonna be hanging around forever instead of slowly dying/wandering off like in DS1. Like take Saulden - he gains a couple extra lines as more people come to Majula, but I'm at the end of the game and he's still telling me about bonfires and where all the different directions lead.

I do like how they handled the several NPCs who have stories like Lucatiel and Benhart, as well as Rosabeth (short as hers is).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Lets not mince words here, silent protagonist or not, Darkdiver Grahl is loving atrociously written. He is a parody of a character.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

TastyAvocado posted:

The club is not faster than the mace - they have the exact same moveset other than the 1 handed r1s, which have either the exact same timing/stamina consumption, or the difference is imperceptible. Also, while the club does have better scaling it does less damage even at very high strength so it's pretty irrelevant. The mace also does more poise damage. If you want an upgrade to the mace, and infused barbed club is better.

Much like the club vs. mace, the large club's superior scaling is irrelevant because it does less damage even at very high strength. (The two weapons sadly have the exact same moveset unlike in DS1)

Yeah but the 1 handed club R1 has a much longer reach and arcs across in a much wider arc than the mace, which has dogshit for range. Because of how it swings, it actually hits whatever is in front of you faster than a mace would, it just has a longer arc off to the left/right afterward.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
For the life of me I cannot justify this ascetic systme. Okay, so renewing enemies and being able to do bosses again, cool. No, it's the phantom grinding that I can't understand.

Havel's armor, which is bar none the strongest armor set in the game, can be acquired before you even get you first Great Souls. But the loving Catarina set? No, that's hidden in NG+, and you'll have to grind the poo poo out of him to get everything. So it's not a balance thing, but I can't figure any other reason to do it. Whose the infinitely dumb poo poo at From who decided that MMO style grinding was something that Souls needed?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Lets not mince words here, silent protagonist or not, Darkdiver Grahl is loving atrociously written. He is a parody of a character.

The effect would be different if, say, your character kept asking about other stuff and he ignored your question and kept talking about the Dark instead.

This isn't to say I want dialog options or voiced PCs in a Souls game.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

What do I replace my lightning

Bob NewSCART posted:

How crazy is the step up in souls gained from ng(that's your first play through right?) and ng+?

Also can someone give me a spoilered hint at all the things I should make sure to not miss that wouldn't really be noticed otherwise before I dive into ng+? It would be cool and helpful.

One more question actually, what can I replace my lightning craftsman hammer with? It's range is too short and vertical for my liking, but it's so fast and it tears things apart like no other weapon I have. I'm at 30 str and I have 30 faith as well.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

Benhart is one of the few decently written characters. Not surprisingly, half of his dialogue doesn't revolve around DARK, hmm gee this place sure is familiar!!!, or me no remember thing so good no more. He's just a positive thinking dude with a big loving sword and a simple goal in life, which is easy to relate to.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Being a dark diver, does that make him the opposite of a holy diver? :regd10:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I murdered benhart on sight for his sword and then bought and wore his armor around. I'm pate.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Anyone have a character at the 900k-1.2 mil SM range that wants to help me move the ruin set to a 600k SM character?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Lucatiel is best Hat Lady and is best Souls character.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Anyone happen to have a sl150 dex/pyro(Would be the same as dex/hex I guess?) build laying around? Don't get me wrong I love my full dex dual blacksteel build but pyromancy is fun and I feel like my +10 flame is kinda wasted on toxic cloud and flame weapon :v:

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 27, 2014

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Tallgeese posted:

DS2 is missing Black Knight, Silver Knight, Brass, and Ornstein's Armor. A terrible crime.

I think the one I miss the most is Ciaran's set. The porcelain mask I can take or leave but I always dug those blue robes. Artorias's armor is kinda cool, too. Also now that power stancing is a thing I really want the tracers to come back with a unique dual-wielding moveset. I think what I'm saying is I want Artorias of the Abyss 2.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Nalesh posted:

anyone happen to have a sl150 dex/pyro build laying around? Don't get me wrong I love my full dex dual blacksteel build but pyromancy is fun and I feel like my +10 flame is kinda wasted on toxic cloud and flame weapon :v:

Pyromancy isn't really affected all that much by stats. The reinforcement level of your flame is much more important. A dex/pyro build would just be 40 dex, enough str for weapon requirements, and you could probably just do 20/20/20 att/int/fth and be fine. Or you could go even lower, I don't think you'd see all that much of a difference.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Perfect Potato posted:

Benhart is one of the few decently written characters. Not surprisingly, half of his dialogue doesn't revolve around DARK, hmm gee this place sure is familiar!!!, or me no remember thing so good no more. He's just a positive thinking dude with a big loving sword and a simple goal in life, which is easy to relate to.

Lucatiel was interesting, she actually goes into the whole "losing yourself" thing that is kinda glossed over a lot. You see the process a lot but you never really get to see how those people react to the change. I'm not sure how Benhart was that different from the rest of the cast in being one dimensional though, all he tends to say is "my sword is pretty cool".

Fister Roboto posted:

Being a dark diver, does that make him the opposite of a holy diver? :regd10:

Yes, Holy Diver is good and dark diver grandpa is the opposite of that.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
Farming up my Lu Bu--

At 20k Soul Memory ... Hmm. Seems legit.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Bob NewSCART posted:

I murdered benhart on sight for his sword and then bought and wore his armor around. I'm pate.

it probably kinda sucked to learn his weapon is pretty bad, huh? I know I was disappointed when he finally gave it to me

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cardboard Box posted:

it probably kinda sucked to learn his weapon is pretty bad, huh? I know I was disappointed when he finally gave it to me

His weapon sucking is the best part about Benhart. He's totally right that it takes a TRUE man to wield his family's legacy...just uh, not for the reasons he thinks.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

yeah I mean, it's a great payoff, what with everyone else going "yo, that sword's a fake"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The best part is that he still totally has his sword and he just gave you a spare he was carrying around.

I mean yeah, I know they just didn't change his model because why would they and it's just a gameplay conceit but it's funnier this way.

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp

Kaldaris posted:

Farming up my Lu Bu--

I feel like I've been running into this kind of thing way more often than even a week ago... It only really bugs me in pvp, but it's also annoying to see in pve when you have a limited number of summons (especially if you're at low SM for the area) and here's Mr. I subtracted 1 million souls.
Between that and the infinite health people I'm hoping they put VAC back on and ban the gently caress out of people.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So turns out the anti gravity glitch can have another use in PVP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsaH80RCMjk

(if you press roll and attack for riposte nearly simultaneously, with the roll being slightly before, you'll go flying past the enemy and you want change positions on y axis. the thing you tried to riposte will remain stuck on the ground)

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Nalesh posted:

Anyone happen to have a sl150 dex/pyro(Would be the same as dex/hex I guess?) build laying around? Don't get me wrong I love my full dex dual blacksteel build but pyromancy is fun and I feel like my +10 flame is kinda wasted on toxic cloud and flame weapon :v:

Stats being covered by our good friend Opposing Farce, my advice is to attune one or two slots for great combustion and you're set for 90% of your fights. Fire whip is great, also.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Where is a good place to get action as a new Blue Cop at 3 million SM in NG+? I haven't seen anything in either Heide or the Bastille.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
3 mil sm is pretty low for blue copping I think. Because blues go down and up in tiers it's better to be a bit higher for maximum cop invading.

Zero Initiative
Nov 6, 2013

Kaldaris posted:

Farming up my Lu Bu--

Oh, you wouldn't happen to be the Lu Bu that helped me with Gargoyles earlier, would you? Name was Vyldan.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Vanderdeath posted:

Where is a good place to get action as a new Blue Cop at 3 million SM in NG+? I haven't seen anything in either Heide or the Bastille.

For summoning or invading? Invading it doesn't really matter, but you do need to activate the orb several times. Usually between 5 and 10. It's fiddly.

For getting summoned, at 2-3m I had most of my success in Undead Crypt.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nalesh posted:

Since pyros don't require stats and the scaling bonus is relatively small (it's good but not worth investing heavily in int/fth just for it) you want minimal Fth/Int.

This character builder isn't 100% but it's good enough for basic stuff.

http://gamehubbs.com/darksouls2/builds/3033

Chaos Blade for good damage. Infuse it with fire and buff with flame weapon for maximum damage in PVP. Ricard's Rapier offhand for poking; you can infuse it with poison for poisoning enemies if you don't care to use it for damage. Dagger for crits.

Hexer's good for +1 casts to all spells (even forbidden sun).

50 Att for a fuckton of slots and more casts (get 2 casts of Forbidden Sun with this much).

40 Dex for scaling with dex weapons. You can drop this to 25 (for using Chaos blade) if you want to put points elsewhere.

Third Dragon Ring because it's good. Ring of Blades +2 cause more damage is good. Cloranthy Ring+2 because more stamina regen is good. Fourth ring slot open for w/e (cov rings, serpent rings for PVE, etc.)

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

https://sites.google.com/site/darksouls2stats/ I found a stat calculator that shows much more stuff. Currently looking at 30 20 16 25 20 40 24 10 10, how does that look at level 142? with future points going in int and faith(maybe five more in att too?) Would allow me to spice down low tier miracles and sorceries too and allow me to use them(Like chameleon)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nalesh posted:

https://sites.google.com/site/darksouls2stats/ I found a stat calculator that shows much more stuff. Currently looking at 30 20 16 25 20 40 24 10 10, how does that look at level 142? with future points going in int and faith(maybe five more in att too?) Would allow me to spice down low tier miracles and sorceries too and allow me to use them(Like chameleon)

It may show more stuff but it's a pain in the rear end to look at, and you can't just save the build and link it.

That works fine, too. More str does let you use some more weapons. Being able to use some miracles and sorceries is nice, but can be kind of a pain since you gotta have a staff and chime ready in addition to a pyro flame. With low Vit you'll be a bit squishier, too.

That said it should work fine.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Genocyber posted:

It may show more stuff but it's a pain in the rear end to look at, and you can't just save the build and link it.

That works fine, too. More str does let you use some more weapons. Being able to use some miracles and sorceries is nice, but can be kind of a pain since you gotta have a staff and chime ready in addition to a pyro flame. With low Vit you'll be a bit squishier, too.

That said it should work fine.

The vitality is what I have on my current pure dex(and apparently my str is 21, so I would have to take a point from somewhere), at 68% EL(Mainly due to me loving the mad warrior mask+engraved gauntlets and double blacksteels, would go down by a bunch due to switching those two armor pieces out with the hood and the lost sinner pyro cuffs)

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
Anyone have advice for dealing with Syan's Halberd? My preferred weapon is a lance, and I'm finding its spear-like 2H R1s difficult to work around. The stun often lasts enough for a three-hit combo, also, and that's definitely painful. I do keep a watcher shield handy, but prefer to keep a flame in the offhand most of the time instead, and either way the shield doesn't help tremendously since I'm poo poo at parrying.

I guess I just need to get good